Ayinger Ur-Weisse - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-05-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Ur-Weisse Alström Bros

4.61/5  rDev +13%

Had this beer at my in-laws house once when I had already drank for a while. Even in my inebriated state, I said to myself "damn self, that's a good beer. We gotta try that one when we get sober." Fast forward a few months, hanging at the liquor store, and I remember...Ayinger! Poured from the bottle into a weizen glass.

Appearance - Pours a medium brown, almost orange color with a towering, dominating, intimidating four finger head that is like whipped cream. Although the head didn't last long and there wasn't much lacing, this beer is to appearance what Arnold was to symmetry in bodybuilding. Impressive!

Smell - The nose is a strong malty/banana/bread smell. I knew as soon as I took a whiff that this beer would not disappoint.

Taste - Follows the nose to a T. Heavy on the bread, bananas and other light fruit, malty finish. I swear it tasted to me like banana bread, with a dash of excellence. This is an incredible taste.

Mouthfeel - Good strong finish, have the aftertaste of malts and barley streaming all the way up through my sinus cavities. This a beer that lets you know you are drinking a good strong beer from the Deutschland, not some industrial pee-water mass production garbage. Man those guys know how to make a beer.

Overall - Incredible. Wonderful. This beer is highly recommended no matter your tastes. This will overwhelm you with awesomeness. I am impressed.

4.46/5  rDev +9.3%

This beer pours a cloudy dark orange color. The head is a billowy three inches in height, and recedes slowly into two inches of fluffy foam that sticks in chunks to the sides of the glass, and lasts until the beer is gone. The aroma is of tons of cloves, and ample bananas with a hint of roasted malt. The taste is more balanced between the banana and clove elements with some nice malt tones underneath. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with a chewy texture, and appropriately high carbonation. Overall, this is a great beer that I will surely drink again.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

ST: 1 pint 9oz poured into a wiess glass. Bottle lists ABV but does not list DBD.

A: Cloudy dark orange with over a finger length pure white head.

S: Banana, clove, lemon, and bread, caramel, butter popcorn, and fruity esters.

T: Sunny lemon joins heavy bread. The finish has a malty backbone, spice, and warming alcohol.

M: On the heavy side of medium and creamy.

O: An excellent wheat beer with intense fruity flavors, creamy bread, and malty accents. Though not as light or zingy as other weiss can be, this is a bit of a heavier more serious sipper which is meant to be slowly enjoyed and savored.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from the bottle into a wheat ale style glass.

Super large typical styrofoamy head, kind of like a meringue top nice and white hints at cream and egg sheen. Body color is a classic amber and cloudy murky yellow. Lots of rising carbonation.

Nose is sweet clove, toasted malts and grain. A little bit of orange in there. A bit of ripping dry husk action. Real nice lovely nose.

Chewy palate mixes with just the right amount of playful carbonation. Lingering finish. Palate is rich in malts and dark spices with some dry action. A chewy feel, with clove like aromatics, very much so on the finish. Borderline creamy texture but the carbonation cuts through that just slightly.

Overall, a great example of the style and tasty. More Ayinger win.

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%

500ml bottle poured into Weisse glass 7/1/12

A murky brownish orange liquid completely saturated with big bubbles, large off white head has decent retention and a few random patches of lace

S a little fruity with some honey wheat bread to go with the usual suspects of bruised banana, clove and a little chewing gum

T a little more spice and just a hint of booze I couldn't smell, just a little toffee and everything else I could smell

M enters silky then gets a little foamy from the bubbles, medium bodied with a grainy aftertaste

O pretty solid beer for a good price, I was expecting something darker but this did just fine for me

not the best I've had from Ayinger but that still puts it above most German beers I've tried. pick one up if you see it along with anything else these guys make

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured into a yardstick glass. Merry f'n Christmas!

A: Due to the way I poured it into the said glass (read: as aggressively as possible), it came out with one of the biggest damn heads I've ever seen. Forget measuring it in fingers, this thing would have had to been measured in FEET. And it was beautiful to boot. Frustratingly, the head retention is excellent. The body itself is a very cloudy, murky dark copper color that looks vibrant.

S: Apple, banana, cloves, and that trademark "bubblegum" smell dominate the nose. Smells a bit tangy, as well. Nice!

T: Very refreshing stuff. The typical wheat beer esters are there in full force (bubblegum, banana, cloves), but it also has a tangy apple quality that mixes beautifully with the other flavors. I have to say that I slightly prefer the flavor profile of a hefeweizen, but I can really taste the top-notch quality in this.

M: Nice smoothness, with refreshing carbonation. The feel of the beer doesn't stand out, but holy shit, is it easy drinking.

O: Like I said, if given a choice between a hefe and a dunkel, I'll probably take a hefe. But this is nonetheless an excellent beer. If you've never had the style before, this is a great place to start.

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

Ayinger, never had heard of it but I figured a with a bavarian dunkel you cant go wrong for Christmas Eve.

Appearance - a murky orange brown. Not that is looks unfiltered but it has a nice opaqe quality to it.

Smell - The smell first told me I had got a quality beer. Hoppy, yeasty, crisp, and faint green apple tones.

Taste - Perfection! Just what a dunkel should be. Crips, fresh, good hop flavor and also the crisp apples come back. Perfect aftertaste that doesn't linger too long.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation is right on for this beer. Not overpowering or leaving me wanting. Just cant beat it.

Overall - 4.5 One of the best dunkels (or beers) I have had thus far. I will buy this one again and through the year

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Hazy golden body, two finger head slowly leaves a thin white head, very nice.

S: Wheaty, fruit smell, think its banana. Also getting some malt, and clove.

T: There is a yeast character in the taste, there is a bready sweetness and a dry finsh. Tasted a little banana and some spice. Very tasty Dunkel.

M: Lighter body than I expected finish is clean and refeshing. Very drinkable.

O: I enjoyed this brew, Ayinger is one of my favorites.

Ayinger Ur-Weisse from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying