Ayinger Ur-Weisse - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-05-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 986 | Reviews: 536
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

The numerical score is from my most recent tasting.

March 27, 2013: Pours a slighty hazy amber (very slighty) with a large off-white head.

Unlike my 2006 tasting, I didn't pick up any off notes aroma wise. That said, I didn't pick up much aroma at all (compared to others of the style). Maybe a tinge of spices. --- Wait it perks up more as it warms.

Flavor is very bready. A little bit of banana. A tiny bit of grapefruit and oranges, apples too. Fairly dry with some lingering sweetness on the finish. Very little hops. Some cloves but not lot of them either. Nice amount of carbonation. Enough to have some bite but still fairly soft.

This is one of my favorite styles which makes this one hard to judge. Given other classics of the style (say Aventinus), this one is sub-par, but compared to other beers, I would put it well above average.

Last note... this beer improves greatly when it is closer to cellar temperature than refrigerator temperature. The tangyness comes out more as this beer sits in the glass.

May 8, 2006: AP 4.0, AR 2.0, F: 3.0, MF: 4, OA: 3.5

I'm tasting this tonight as part of a comparison tasting of 3 Dunkel Heffeweisens.

A small head on a golden-brown brew. Very pretty in the glass.

Unfortunately I was put off by this beer's strange aroma. I know this sounds crazy, but I pick up the smell of peanut butter, which might be a good thing if you like peanut butter but I don't.

If I ignore the aroma though, the flavor isn't too bad. A mix of bananas, and brown sugar,

Overall, this beer's aroma makes it my last place pick of the beers I'm drinking tonight.

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance: Hazy amber-brown in color, with profuse cabonation and a small white head, and thick glass-coating lace.

Aroma; Bread notes, yeast, spice, and a slight earth note, hints of banana and cloves, complex and interesting.

Taste: Opens with a wave of clove spices, and lesser notes of ripe bananas, midway through the taste, some malt notes appear, finishes dry with grain flavors, lingering notes of apples and grape skins, and slight hops.

Mouth feel: A bit thin, with sharp carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: A pleasant example, although less than outstanding, seems a bit understated.

Presentation: Packaged in a half-liter (16.9 ounce) brown glass bottle, served in a standard pint tap glass.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Hazy light caramel color, 3-finger thick head with decent retention. Aroma is pleasant: wheaty, banana creme, and yeast with a light spiciness, and hint of clove. The taste is very clean an dcrisp, with more banana and wheat-like flavors. The flavor doesn't gather much complexity from start to finish, however, and pretty much remains the same, with a bit of spice perhaps. The alcohol is really hardly noticible. Good strong carbonation, light to medium thick, it has a semi-creamy mouthfeel. Very good drinkability here, although not not much complexity. It goes down easy and is very enjoyable.

4.36/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a rather unimpressively dark iced tea color with a thin, large-bubbled head that fades to a half centimeter by the time I get myself comfortably settled in to write this review. A proper yeast-filled pour makes it murky, but the color isn't very dark.

Mmmm! The smell, on the other hand, is rather delicious! There are huuuge bangs of sugary bananas - banana bread, perhaps -, similar to other weizens but spritzed with lemon and dusted over with apple peelings and clove. Very very interesting. Nice to see some variation on a theme! Most weizens smell and taste alike with very subtle differences. This is noticeably different but good-smelling.

Equally good-tasting! Wow, it's really good. It's nowhere near as sophisticated as Weinstephaner or Franziskaner, but is more of a bouncy, light-hearted drink. it has less depth of flavor, but really keeps me going back for more. Sugary-sweet, with lots of bouncing bananas and apples, just a little clove spice. Very very malty, sweet, flufffy yeast, almost no hops. A dessert weizen if there ever was one.

Syrupy mouthfeel, almost like a half-flat soda. Filling, slippery, gummy, delicious.

Okay... this dark weizen isn't very dark in appearance, smell, or flavor. However, I can't fault it for being completely out of its style range - it's damn tasty. I could drink it all night.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

I had this at a meeting with my company a few months ago. We were served german potato salad and some red cabbage (rot kraut). I must say this beer really had it all.

It is dry and grainy, but has a taste close to butterscotch. It really had me at bay. A good creamy wheat taste, it went down easy.

I really want to visit Aying, Germany to see the magic up close!

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

I had this on tap at Ayingers Am Platzl in Munich on March 19, 2006.

A: Light-brown sugar colour, impressive white head.

S: Banana bread. Much breadier than their hefe, with less citrus.

T: Banana bread with a little spice and citrus, slightly sweet.

M: Moderate body & carbonation. Creamy.

D: Very good.

3.61/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My god, did you swirl the bottom of the bottle to get all the yeast into your glass? I did, and it's shocking. It looks like coffee with cream in my glass. Poured a big, bubbly head and the thing has amazing fizz going on down below, which I can somehow see through the muddiness of this beautiful beer. Smells not unlike a typical German Hefe--good aromas. I've never been a big fan of Hefes because some of them have that metallic phenol bite that I think often overpowers the brew, but this one is fantastic, and I didn't have any desire to cut it with a lemon. Now put this thing in your mouth...it's like you could chew on it! In a good way, of course. It's got appropriate fizz, but it is full and filling--exactly what I expect from a German Hefe. God bless the Germans.

3.57/5  rDev -12.5%

500 ml (16.9 ounce) bottle, from Wilbur's in Fort Collins, CO, $2.49.

Somewhat disappointing pour. Very little head that fell off quickly. Cloudy dark amber.

Smell of malty bread dough with a bit of clove.

Taste is a bit more sour than I would have anticipated. Peppery, clovey. Even as it warms, there's not much banana ester or citrus.

Decent enough mouthfeel, but a bit thinner than I would look for.

Pretty drinkable. This would go well with a big Bavarian meal. But there's just not enough there.

Overall, a bit of a disappointment for me. Not bad, but not that great either.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

500 ML bottle; color of unfiltered apple cider; lots of head - careful not to pour too hard.

Aroma of spice, apple pie, yeast, coriander & clove.

Flavors of yeast, coriander, apple cider with the feel of slippery yet chalky carbonation.

This is a very tasty beer and I crave another.

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a fairly clear, light amber color with a thick airy head. Smell is obvious hefe, with banana, clove, and hint of vanilla and just a bit of pepper. Feels nice and wet with a smooth finish, good carbonation. Taste is mild, with flavors well blended. Some nice spicyness on the tip of the tongue. This does not really seem like a Dunkle weiss, more of a standard hefe with a bit more malt flavor and spicyness, maybe should be called an Amber weiss. Overall a wonderful beer with a wonderfull appearance and an awesome taste. So far I have been very happy with all the Ayinger weissen beers. They completely outshine most of the watered down US versions of this classic style. Too bad they don't come in a 6 pack. A bit pricey, but in my book completely worth it.

3.47/5  rDev -15%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a Weizen glass. The beer is medium-orange color, some what murky from the yeast. A nice white head with forms with a good amount of bubbles rising in the glass.

The smell is very sweet...bananna is the strongest aroma. Maybe another fruit is in there plus plenty of wheat.

The first taste is smooth and refreshing. Bananaa is the first flavor on the palate, then something mildy spicy. It's a very good contrast. Very creamy finish in the mouth. Highly drinkable

This is my first Dunkel Weizen and I look forward to tasting more beers in this style. I would definately buy this beer again.

Could've fooled me, this dunkel tasted like a normal hefe. Light, airy head that dissipates slightly towards the end. Strong banana characteristics that I like. I paid the usual, 2.59 at hollingshead. I really wish there was a way I could get these German hefes a little cheaper.

4.53/5  rDev +11%

A - Opaque muddy brown brew with a three finger cream colored head okay retention. No lacing at all. So sad . . .

S - Strong bananas, dates, faint cloves and a touch of coriander. Unlike other dunkel weizens, this one has an intense odor.

T - The flavor has a fruity sweetness. There is a taste slightly reminiscent of a banana pulled from the dredges of a fruit salad, as well as a quick light caramel malt flavor (but with a very noticable wheat influence) and a subtle coriander pepperiness. There is a curious mild bitter twinge on the back of my throat that lasts for only a few moments. A very faint slightly sweet aftertaste lingers for a little while after the bitterness dissipates.

M - Very viscous, smooth and quite refreshing.

D - Nice. Sessionable, though a bit strong. So a low paced session. I think this is my favorite dunkel weizen that I have had to date. It is actually one of my favorite beers in fact, extremely well rounded. It is more pronounced than the others of the style. It seems to sit somewhere between a dunkel weizen and a weizenbock. I find this place to be quite pleasing. I will definitely make this my dunkel weizen go to beer.

3.67/5  rDev -10%

Pours from a bottle into a pint glass with a rocketing white head composed of large bubbles a frothy soapy look. Rises quick and falls just the same. Color is murkey carmel brown. The smell is strong with bannana, plums, dates...sugary fruits. Strong yeasty bannana with a tinge of organic almost leafy aroma. The taste is very full, sweet and enjoyable. Interesting for me as I am not familiar with the style. A nice taste but different. The mouthfeel on this one is again full, possibly a bit overcarbonated with a tiny bite on the tongue. An overall drinkable beer but not one I will stock in the fridge. Nice if you are looking for a sweet entry.

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Hazy burnt copper color with some sediment retention and a big frothy head that shrinks to a thick topping. Smells like dry banana bread...light bubblegum and clove. Light banana in the flavor with some spicy wheat. There is a soft maltiness in the finish. Very lively yet dry and a little tart. Pretty good.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Murky copper brown with a white cream head. Nice retention throughout. Doughy and malty to the nose. A little bit of cloves and subtle fruit. Taste is creamy with apple, bananas and wheat. Slight spice in there. Nice smooth creamy dry mouth. Very drinkable.

I like.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Sampled: 1.8.06

Appearance was a cloudy bronze under a dense head of tiny compact bubbles. Beer left a little lacing along the way.

The aroma was fruity and rounded with malt presence. Bananas dominated, as well as an overall sugary nature.

The flavor is immediately juicy. Grainy wheat malts are present, but lie beneath a mostly banana bread taste throughout the mouthful. The brew is light in the mouth and low, low carbed, but not flat. It’s very simple, but delicious.

This beer was easy as hell to drink. Overall, a great beer drinking experience.

4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

When the Germans say: Paulaner, Franziskaner, sonst nichts they forget something . . . Ayinger. Man, this is one heck of a beer. Delightfully fluffy wheat character balanced out by munich malts in a burnt-orange brew. I drank this guy so quickly, I got a tummy-ache from the carbonation. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. Yummy.

4.65/5  rDev +14%

Incredible dark wheat beer. One of the best i've ever had. Great opening smell and flavor, but not as typical as a regular wheat beer. It has an incredible head (if poured correctly) but not as good as a typical wheat beer. It has the typical traces of coriander, but not strong. One of the best beers in a bottle I've had in Dallas, and definitely worth recommending.

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours into the weizen glass in fell swoop. Cloudy dark orange with a medium white head that falls to a table; no lacing; plenty of active carbonation visible at the surface. Could smell the banana bread during the pour, but afterwards the smell was much more subdued, astringent and not exactly inviting. The taste was full on malty smoothness that swells, literally swells, into a full banana attack. Just delicious. Mouthfeel is medium and fills out splendidly. This is a very drinkable brew, but I'm not sure how much banana flavored maltiness I could take. Love this one.

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours to a fantastic dark, mellow color which looks almost exactly like unfiltered apple cider, pour takes time with the head fizzing crazily which releases all the wonderful fruity banana aromas. I thought this beer smelled and looked better than it tasted, the taste was actually somewhat bland and simple with nothing that really excited my palate although it did have nice legs and the aftertaste is where the fruitiness is most present. Possibly true to style it basically tastes a bit sweet and malty with just barely enough bitterness to balance things out. mouthfeel is how it looks, ciderlike. I must say that I was really excited to try my first dunkel-weizen but this was somewhat of a let down, Unfortunately the wonderful aromas simply did't translate well onto the toungue.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Pour a hazy dark amber with loads of carbonation; the pours takes some time but I eventually end up with a massively rocky head peaking about an inch from the top of the glass. The aroma is spicy, suggesting oranges, cloves and vanilla. Rather full-bodied for a weiss with a sort of creme brulé maltiness that leads into an orangey-tart finish accented a slightly chalky dryness. Excellent smooth mouthfeel adds to the appeal of this beer. Overall, a fine dark wheat with outstanding aromatics, good flavor, but the finish could be better.

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%

I was looking through some of my old reviews and couldn't believe I haven't reviewed this one yet, so I picked up a bottle after getting my bottle deposits back... Woohoo, "free" beer! This is one of the beers I drink regularly in the summer (on the rare occasion I'm not drinking new beers, of course).

Looks excellent in my Ayinger weizen glass. Seriously, it's picture perfect. Fills up perfectly to the .5L mark with a muddy, murky looking dark wheat beer with a huge crown of foam that peaks out over the rim of the glass. Carbonation bubbles twirl up the sides inevitably becoming part of the mountain themselves.

The smell is the one downfall of this beer. It seems to smell very soapy. The banana, lemon and clove esters only make it seem like the little designer potpouri soap bars that you're not supposed to wash your hands with.

The taste is very smooth and quite highly drinkable. Lots of the banana ester, perhaps more than any other wheat beer I've tried. Lots of clove to go along with it as well. Only a bit of lemon. The wheat malt is sweet and has a little bite to it. The tiniest suggestion of spicy, herbal hop bitterness can be detected in the end. Quite bready the whole way through. This beer seriously looks like a slurry of yeast, and it's quite filling.

Very creamy with quite a big body. Even though it's well carbonated, this beer feels like a smoothy going down. Very soft on the palate, though it is by no means flat. Drinkability is huge.

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%

mmm. Yum. Tall 1 pint bottle. This poured a nice hazy orange-copper copper with a huge fluffy tan/white head. The lacing just washes down the glass like you just washed the glass with rain-ex. The smell is awesome. Just amped up when compared to the others i have had of this style. It tastes like i am drinking a banana. It even irritates my mouth like real bananas do. The flavor also contains an assload of banana, wheat, clove and bubble gum flavor. The mouthfeel is interesting, almost right in between watery and syrupy. Watery syrup. Yeah. I like that. It is sorta sticky too. Very drinkable. I am starting to think this is my favorite style.

3.72/5  rDev -8.8%

.5 liter bottle. For a dunkel weizen, this beer doesn't look all that dunkel. The color is a partially hazy brown copper color. The head is large and creamy. The aroma is cloves, banana, nuts, and chocolate. Nutty malt flavor, but not as rich and malty as most dunkels. More fruit flavor than I expected. I would like if this was thicker with more malt and cocoa. This beer is still well above average, and the drinkability is great.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ayinger Ur-Weisse from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying