Ayinger Ur-Weisse - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-05-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Ur-Weisse Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,009 | Reviews: 544
4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A stunning golden honey with an F5 level haze. A medium pour produces two inches of dense white head that mellows out to 1/8 an inch.

S: A stiff wheat attacks the nostrils with plenty of fruit to back it up. Pear, banana and apples. Some clove is there and maybe a smidge of coriander. Very nice. Solid is the word I would use.

T: Wow. The apples really stand out with the wheat. Pear edges in with the banana but they both take the back seat. God that is delicious. No coriander but some nice clove that duh! obviously pairs well with the apple and wheat. Not complicated but they nailed it.

M: A medium bodied mouthfeel with high CO2. Well thought out as it gives this beer a character that is symbiotic with the flavor and style.

D: Amazingly drinkable. MMMMmmmm....5.8% alcohol? You wouldn't even know it.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my big weizen glass.

A - Lighter than I expected. Nice head, but no lacing whatsoever.

S - I get smoke and cloves.

T - Wheat (obviously), bananas, cloves, smoke.

M - Somewhat watery, but no different than what I expect from a wheat beer.

D - I could have another, although the smoke is somewhat off-putting.

3.05/5  rDev -25.2%

Wow, what a head! Poured from a cold (probably too cold) refrigerated bottle and an aggressive pour yielded approximately 3" of beer and 11" of head. The head was loosely packed and quite irregular. A hazy pale ale color. The smell was nice with light doughy, banana, citrus aroma. The taste yield the same. Although I am not a fan of weisse beer, this beer seemed to add a slight ale depth to a common hefe.

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

A highly drinkable dunkel weizen from Ayinger. Fruit forward with clove and banana taking center stage. Little hop presence noted. The carbonation is high, borderline too high. I could see this pairing well with a cheddar cheese and some sourdough bread. A nice session beer.

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours out of the bottle a nice orange-copper color with a tight white head that disappears pretty quickly and leaves little lacing on the glass. The nose is wonderful, mainly banana with a bit of clove and phenolic qualities. The taste is much more on the dry side with nice effervescence. Banana being the major player here. Definitely a nice summer session beer. Although it's a bout freezing in Texas right now this is a good beer to enjoy as an afternoon snack. And at $3.25 for a 500 ml bottle you can't go wrong.

3.61/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My god, did you swirl the bottom of the bottle to get all the yeast into your glass? I did, and it's shocking. It looks like coffee with cream in my glass. Poured a big, bubbly head and the thing has amazing fizz going on down below, which I can somehow see through the muddiness of this beautiful beer. Smells not unlike a typical German Hefe--good aromas. I've never been a big fan of Hefes because some of them have that metallic phenol bite that I think often overpowers the brew, but this one is fantastic, and I didn't have any desire to cut it with a lemon. Now put this thing in your mouth...it's like you could chew on it! In a good way, of course. It's got appropriate fizz, but it is full and filling--exactly what I expect from a German Hefe. God bless the Germans.

Could've fooled me, this dunkel tasted like a normal hefe. Light, airy head that dissipates slightly towards the end. Strong banana characteristics that I like. I paid the usual, 2.59 at hollingshead. I really wish there was a way I could get these German hefes a little cheaper.

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Amber yellow with a light beige quite fine and quite persistent foam.

S - The classic aromas of the style: banana and cloves.

T - Other than banana and spices, there is also a malted flavour.

M - A balanced beer with low levels of alcohol and bitter.

D - A good beer but one weiss is enough!!

4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

drink to the Kaiser
salute the farmer's wheat field
the harvest is now

This beer has crept into my pantheon of godbeers. The dunkel weizen is a genre that has been far too underrated. Ayinger's thick, wheaty, banana goodness is taste that I have keep coming back too these last few weeks. It haunts me like the hindenberg.

I declare this the summer of the dunkel weizen!

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

500 ML bottle; color of unfiltered apple cider; lots of head - careful not to pour too hard.

Aroma of spice, apple pie, yeast, coriander & clove.

Flavors of yeast, coriander, apple cider with the feel of slippery yet chalky carbonation.

This is a very tasty beer and I crave another.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

500 ml bottle poured into an Ayinger Weizen glass

A: Pours a light brown, though the bottom is closer to golden. At first, the head is massive, though it recedes to one finger of white foam, and then a thin film on the glass. Bubbles constantly rise through the beer. High level of carbonation.

S: Heavy bready, yeasty aroma.

T: Heavy on the yeast, along with some citric flavors. Has a slight lemony taste.

M: The carbonation gives it a light feeling, belying its appearance. Somewhat crisp on the tongue.

D: While the carbonation makes it relatively light on the palate, the wheat character is very pronounced. I realize this is par for the style, and this is one of the best wheat beers I've had, but I still couldn't do more than one of these.

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%

A: Amber with some light orange hints when held to the light. There was a great snap when I popped the bottle and the head shows through in the pour as an immediate froth followed by a 2 inch crisp white head.
S: bready, malty with some light banana and a dominant clove aroma. Some yeast character comes through as well
T: that yeast character shows through with some spicy sweetness that finishes dry. Bready sweetness, banana and a slight tart flavor that I assume is also part of the yeast
M/D: the crisp carbonation finishes this one off right. A pretty light body allows the flavors to show. I could drink 2-3 of these before I needed to switch.

4.65/5  rDev +14%

Incredible dark wheat beer. One of the best i've ever had. Great opening smell and flavor, but not as typical as a regular wheat beer. It has an incredible head (if poured correctly) but not as good as a typical wheat beer. It has the typical traces of coriander, but not strong. One of the best beers in a bottle I've had in Dallas, and definitely worth recommending.

Spicy, banana. Med-high carbonation.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured heartily into a 0.5l Weizen glass. Nice deep golden color that was accentuated by the frothy and long lasting head. Smell was as expected for a quality German Weizen -- bananas, cloves, but with a further hint of fruitiness that was fully manifested upon tasting. The taste was truly exceptional with the flavors being more developed. I especially enjoyed the almost cola like flavors that the beer imparts. The creamy mouthfeel and well balanced carbonation only furthered the beer drinking experience. This is no ordinary Weizen. Definitely superior to Ayinger's Bräu-Weisse if you prefer a more complex beer.

4.77/5  rDev +16.9%

Don't let the half-hearted lace or the quickly dissipating foam make you think less of this amazing beer. It's a perfect foggy nut brown in color.

With light aromas of citrus, this beer is a full of fruity flavor including citrus, bananas, and pears. It is very well balanced. Don't profane a wheat beer this good by putting a slice of citrus on the glass, for God's sake.

A bit on the gassy side, it is full bodied and tingles with alcohol and a bit of a yeasty bite.

I could drink this all night.

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a cloudy darker golden-amber color. Big just-barely off-white head that fizzed up vigorously, but dissipated quite quickly, leaving almost no lacing on the glass. The nose hits big with clove, banana, apple, and a firm amount of....tobacco? Whaaa? Yeah! Very prickly, light, effervescent mouthfeel leads to a malty, fruity, slightly caramelly taste with big notes of banana, bubblegum, and spicy clove. Finishes beautifully dry, yet leaves just enough banana and yeasty sweetness on your tongue to have you coming back for more! Burps are all banana bombs. Hell yeah! A truly fine beer. Refreshing, satisfying. Awesome with good cheddar cheese.

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 500 mL bottle into a goblet. Poured murky light amber with large, fluffy, off-white head. Light lacing. Cloudy, but no sediment settled out.

Fruity and spicy aroma layered with wheat and malt.

Complex fruity, malty and wheaty flavor. Banana is the main fruit flavor that I can isolate. Slight touch of bitterness to balance.

Light- to medium-bodied with a strong tingle from the carbonation.

I normally prefer darker, heavier beers like doppelbocks and imperial stouts, but this one is a very nice change of pace. Great for a summer evening in the South.

This is the second Ayinger beer that I have tried, and both were excellent. I must get around to reviewing the Celebrator. It is one of my favorites.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Easy on the eyes for sure - golden-orange, mild haze, substantial carbonation.

S: Tangerine, banana, slight spice in the nose.

T: Some fruit notes but not overly sweet. Good wheat presence. Spice/clove is there as well. Finishes with very little bitterness but pleasant lingering spice. Overall a balanced, ridiculously drinkable dunkelweizen.

M: Lively carbonation, light-bodied.

D: If this were available at MLB Stadiums, I would never order anything else.

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%

1 pint bottle of Ayinger Ur-Weisse

Pours as a dark orange with a nice puffy white head.

A rich smell of banana.

Has a sweet hoppy taste. Very smooth and refeshing.

Much like the taste, the mouthfeel is smooth with a nice bubbly feel

Overall a good dunkel weizen. I will drink this one again.

4.04/5  rDev -1%

I think this Hefeweizen-Dunkel is my new favorite style, because I still have yet to try one that's disappointing. As such, the Ayinger was another solid brew.

Poured from the 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass and got a nice, fluffy white head with moderate lacing. The beer itself is a murky orange color that is not affected when holding it up to the light. Translucent at best, probably closer to a cloudy opaque, though.

The overpowering smell is that of banana. There are some wheat smells and a thin aroma of malt. There may even be some spices in this, but the banana is what lingers the most. I had a friend walk in while I was sampling this and his words were: "Damn, that beer smells awesome; like a really ripe banana", so I guess his words echo mine.

The taste is very comparable to the Franziskaner Hefe-Weiss Dunkel - I really can't tell the difference between the two and if I did a blind taste test 100 times, I probably would struggle to get it right. That being said, that's an excellent taste. There is a taste of malt and spice once the brew warms, but it's very typical Hefeweizen style taste. Impressive.

Mouthfeel was a little weaker than the other comparable brws. The carbonation was good, but it was more thick than I thought it should be considering the lack of complexity in this brew. Still above average, but probably the only thing that brings it down.

It's a very typical beer and very easily drinkable, even in the 16.9 oz variety. I could drink plenty of these and enjoy it. Though I don't think it's as good as some of its counterparts in the style, it's still a solid choice. Definitely recommended.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Absolutely delicious. Found it at a Fred Meyer in Beaverton. Not my first Dunkelweizen, by my first authentically German one. Poured a deep amber/light brown. Smelled of banana and cloves. Tasted almost like banana bread. I regret having only bought one. Highly recommended.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I like this beer a lot. I have had the bottle for about 2.5 months in the fridge, so was expecting freshness to be diminished, but it wasn't, afaik.
Poured as usual, but inverting the bottle with my thumb over top aften a 1/2 a glass was poured to get the yeast in there, then resuming pour. (into oversize wine goblet)

Appearance:
Cloudy gold-orange. Very nice, and right for the style. Started with 2 fingers of fizzy/creamy head, then quickly settled to a 1/4 finger layer, mostly a ring. Looks nice overall

Aroma:
I like the aroma here, getting some sweetness, definitely banana with a touch of citrus. Cloves are there big time as well.

Taste:
Great. All the smells are present in flavor, with a nice bite at the end of a sip. The sweetness hangs in your mouth, but is tempered by bitterness nicely. Good aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
Perfect carbonation for the style, a little fizzy pop. The mf is slightly creamy, again perfect for style.

Overall:
A very nice beer, especially for the price. Taste is great, I really like Dunkels, I'll have to try some others for comparison and then reevaluate this one.
Drinkability seems great, (could have a few for sure) but I only had one.

I need to replace my Ayinger glass and fill it up with one of these. (I'm so damned clumsy with my beer glasses for some reason. At least they're cheap)

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

A - Cloudy, dark-orange amber. Foam reminds me of a meringue.

S - Like simple syrup and banana

T - Slightly fruity at first, like banana, and a nice bitterness in the end. At times I find that it gets bland? Numbing, if anything.

M - A spark of light carbonation, especially at the tip of your tongue. Goes down dry and a bit grainy.

D - Pretty drinkable, but I don't mind nursing this a bit and pair it off with finger food.

i enjoyed this dunkel weizen very much. Poured a hazy copper with a thin white head. Aromas of roasted malts, clove, banana and apple. Tastes much the same except the apple is more pronounced. Medium body, light carbination. I could drink this with some apple pie. Ya that sounds good.

Ayinger Ur-Weisse from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying