Ayinger Ur-Weisse - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Ur-WeisseAyinger Ur-Weisse

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-05-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Ur-Weisse Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

3.05/5  rDev -25.2%

Wow, what a head! Poured from a cold (probably too cold) refrigerated bottle and an aggressive pour yielded approximately 3" of beer and 11" of head. The head was loosely packed and quite irregular. A hazy pale ale color. The smell was nice with light doughy, banana, citrus aroma. The taste yield the same. Although I am not a fan of weisse beer, this beer seemed to add a slight ale depth to a common hefe.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my big weizen glass.

A - Lighter than I expected. Nice head, but no lacing whatsoever.

S - I get smoke and cloves.

T - Wheat (obviously), bananas, cloves, smoke.

M - Somewhat watery, but no different than what I expect from a wheat beer.

D - I could have another, although the smoke is somewhat off-putting.

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

A highly drinkable dunkel weizen from Ayinger. Fruit forward with clove and banana taking center stage. Little hop presence noted. The carbonation is high, borderline too high. I could see this pairing well with a cheddar cheese and some sourdough bread. A nice session beer.

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

A good beer! Very smooth and pleasant to drink. I get a lot of bread to the taste with some sort of fruit like an apple. It tastes great but in my opinion I rather have Ayinger's brau weisse. It is a different style of beer but I liked the taste a bit more.

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours out of the bottle a nice orange-copper color with a tight white head that disappears pretty quickly and leaves little lacing on the glass. The nose is wonderful, mainly banana with a bit of clove and phenolic qualities. The taste is much more on the dry side with nice effervescence. Banana being the major player here. Definitely a nice summer session beer. Although it's a bout freezing in Texas right now this is a good beer to enjoy as an afternoon snack. And at $3.25 for a 500 ml bottle you can't go wrong.

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My god, did you swirl the bottom of the bottle to get all the yeast into your glass? I did, and it's shocking. It looks like coffee with cream in my glass. Poured a big, bubbly head and the thing has amazing fizz going on down below, which I can somehow see through the muddiness of this beautiful beer. Smells not unlike a typical German Hefe--good aromas. I've never been a big fan of Hefes because some of them have that metallic phenol bite that I think often overpowers the brew, but this one is fantastic, and I didn't have any desire to cut it with a lemon. Now put this thing in your mouth...it's like you could chew on it! In a good way, of course. It's got appropriate fizz, but it is full and filling--exactly what I expect from a German Hefe. God bless the Germans.

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

Could've fooled me, this dunkel tasted like a normal hefe. Light, airy head that dissipates slightly towards the end. Strong banana characteristics that I like. I paid the usual, 2.59 at hollingshead. I really wish there was a way I could get these German hefes a little cheaper.

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Amber yellow with a light beige quite fine and quite persistent foam.

S - The classic aromas of the style: banana and cloves.

T - Other than banana and spices, there is also a malted flavour.

M - A balanced beer with low levels of alcohol and bitter.

D - A good beer but one weiss is enough!!

4.76/5  rDev +16.7%

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

drink to the Kaiser
salute the farmer's wheat field
the harvest is now

This beer has crept into my pantheon of godbeers. The dunkel weizen is a genre that has been far too underrated. Ayinger's thick, wheaty, banana goodness is taste that I have keep coming back too these last few weeks. It haunts me like the hindenberg.

I declare this the summer of the dunkel weizen!

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

500 ML bottle; color of unfiltered apple cider; lots of head - careful not to pour too hard.

Aroma of spice, apple pie, yeast, coriander & clove.

Flavors of yeast, coriander, apple cider with the feel of slippery yet chalky carbonation.

This is a very tasty beer and I crave another.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

500 ml bottle poured into an Ayinger Weizen glass

A: Pours a light brown, though the bottom is closer to golden. At first, the head is massive, though it recedes to one finger of white foam, and then a thin film on the glass. Bubbles constantly rise through the beer. High level of carbonation.

S: Heavy bready, yeasty aroma.

T: Heavy on the yeast, along with some citric flavors. Has a slight lemony taste.

M: The carbonation gives it a light feeling, belying its appearance. Somewhat crisp on the tongue.

D: While the carbonation makes it relatively light on the palate, the wheat character is very pronounced. I realize this is par for the style, and this is one of the best wheat beers I've had, but I still couldn't do more than one of these.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Amber with some light orange hints when held to the light. There was a great snap when I popped the bottle and the head shows through in the pour as an immediate froth followed by a 2 inch crisp white head.
S: bready, malty with some light banana and a dominant clove aroma. Some yeast character comes through as well
T: that yeast character shows through with some spicy sweetness that finishes dry. Bready sweetness, banana and a slight tart flavor that I assume is also part of the yeast
M/D: the crisp carbonation finishes this one off right. A pretty light body allows the flavors to show. I could drink 2-3 of these before I needed to switch.

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Incredible dark wheat beer. One of the best i've ever had. Great opening smell and flavor, but not as typical as a regular wheat beer. It has an incredible head (if poured correctly) but not as good as a typical wheat beer. It has the typical traces of coriander, but not strong. One of the best beers in a bottle I've had in Dallas, and definitely worth recommending.

Spicy, banana. Med-high carbonation.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured heartily into a 0.5l Weizen glass. Nice deep golden color that was accentuated by the frothy and long lasting head. Smell was as expected for a quality German Weizen -- bananas, cloves, but with a further hint of fruitiness that was fully manifested upon tasting. The taste was truly exceptional with the flavors being more developed. I especially enjoyed the almost cola like flavors that the beer imparts. The creamy mouthfeel and well balanced carbonation only furthered the beer drinking experience. This is no ordinary Weizen. Definitely superior to Ayinger's Bräu-Weisse if you prefer a more complex beer.

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

Don't let the half-hearted lace or the quickly dissipating foam make you think less of this amazing beer. It's a perfect foggy nut brown in color.

With light aromas of citrus, this beer is a full of fruity flavor including citrus, bananas, and pears. It is very well balanced. Don't profane a wheat beer this good by putting a slice of citrus on the glass, for God's sake.

A bit on the gassy side, it is full bodied and tingles with alcohol and a bit of a yeasty bite.

I could drink this all night.

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 500 mL bottle into a goblet. Poured murky light amber with large, fluffy, off-white head. Light lacing. Cloudy, but no sediment settled out.

Fruity and spicy aroma layered with wheat and malt.

Complex fruity, malty and wheaty flavor. Banana is the main fruit flavor that I can isolate. Slight touch of bitterness to balance.

Light- to medium-bodied with a strong tingle from the carbonation.

I normally prefer darker, heavier beers like doppelbocks and imperial stouts, but this one is a very nice change of pace. Great for a summer evening in the South.

This is the second Ayinger beer that I have tried, and both were excellent. I must get around to reviewing the Celebrator. It is one of my favorites.

Ayinger Ur-Weisse from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying