Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Oktober Fest-MärzenAyinger Oktober Fest-Märzen

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-15-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -62.4%

I dont know about this, all i could taste was skunk. I suppose it is all a result of handling. It seemed low body, low mouthfeel. I suppose if i found a fresher example, i might be forced to change my review.

el_mocoso

1.68/5  rDev -57.9%

Ayinger Oktober Fest-Marzen pours a turbid orange from a 500ml brown bottle. Head goes to over two fingers with fine foamy bubbles then laces the side of the glass.

Nose is a distinctive malt with a yeasty note and some vegies. Palate is a sweet barley malt with a tart note and sour vegies while a subdued hops plays in the background.

A first time encounter with a tart note and vegies with any Oktoberfest leads me to believe that this bottle is past its prime. This bottle is undrinkable, and has been dumped.

2.23/5  rDev -44.1%

Served 17oz brown bottle.
Color pours to a golden hew, with a nice thick lasting head. The color immediatly has me wondering what is wrong here. Is this a pilsner or an O'Fest???
Caramel is hidden in the aroma. Not hidden though by somethign special. Just "there" but not really.
Watery to the taste, with a burnt, acidic finish.
Very disappointing overall and not fit for the style.

2.23/5  rDev -44.1%

Golden amber body. Soft, bubbly, antique white head.
Aroma is wheat, banana, butter, and citrus. (Pineapple-banana juice?) But why, oh why do I smell aged urine when I bring this up for a sip?
Tastes like rusty copper with some wheat sensations.
Mouthfeel a bit carbonated but my real trouble with it is the rustiness.

Unimpressed. Probably won't drink again.

2.25/5  rDev -43.6%

Served fairly cold (40 degrees), and I hoped it would improve. Poured from 500ml bottle purchased at BevMo in Mountain View, CA. Head looked good and hearty, but color was a bit flat. Head faded quickly, and I'm thinking it might be a bad bottle. Plenty of bubbles, but tasted flat and unexciting, even a little syrupy. I had expected that this would top GB's Marzen, but it's not even close.

Wound up drinking half a glass and sadly poured out the rest. Purchased two bottles, though, and will update this review if the other turns out better.

2.3/5  rDev -42.4%

I was really looking forward to the release of this seasonal Oktoberfest beer. Here I sit... a little nauseated and a little disheartened. I do not like this beer. The sweetness overwhelms the good German Marzen flavor. Ouch, with food, even worse. I search and search for a good Marzen and have issues getting anything good except in Deutschland. In Germany the flavor seems more robust with depth... which all seems missing here. I love the other offerings of Ayinger, but this is not what I want. The bottle and the cap is beautiful... try again with the brew. I will pawn the other bottle I bought off on my buddy... he will think... what a great guy... gave me his last beer... little does he know. He will lie and tell me how great it is... I will know the truth.

Has a lot of frut, plum and sweetness, just really lacks any depth or richness I expect from a Marzen. Finish was okay.

Sorry Ayinger... you can do A LOT better!

2.4/5  rDev -39.8%

500 mL bottle poured into Das Festhaus pint

A: Cloudy, amber/copper color with a large 2" head, large bubbles and a lot of carbonation. Good lacing from the off-white head.

S: Heavy metal. The metallic smell is overpowering any other smell.

T: Metal again. Is this beer not fresh ? I never had it before.

M: High carbonation, with medium mouthfeel.

D: Maybe if it tasted better it would have better drinkability

Assuming from the good reviews, I may have gotten a bad beer. I was excited about it, but let down immensely. I will try to give it another chance.

2.42/5  rDev -39.3%

Cloudy amber pour with an offwhite head. Smell of honey, malt, and yeast, with a creamy taste. mouthfeel is bubbly, and somehow almost a gritty aftertaste feel. Something distinct about the taste that I can't place. Not bad, but not great. Somewhat of a sweet yeasty taste.

2.48/5  rDev -37.8%

500ml German Style Bottle - gotta Love 'em!

App: A luscious strawberry blond color: strong amber with hints of red in the light. 4/5

Smell: Standard euro lager aroma with a light presence of grain and mineral hops. 2/5

Taste: Clean grainy malt with subtle bit firm caramel profile that shows itself in the munich malt mouthfeel. Slightly minty hops add a balancing bitterness that unfortunately fades as it warms. Ends with a fleeting herbal hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Almost feels like the caramel flavor and color is added through sugar. Cloying stickiness throughout.

The Germans make this type of beer to appeal to the American market. I've found German amber fest beers to be lacking. They truly shine with their blond fest biers (see Hofbrau and Traunstein)

2.48/5  rDev -37.8%

Pours a clear golden color with a white, middling head that left some lace.
Smell is hoppy, fruity (lemon), and malt.
Taste is quite a bit hoppier than expected with little else to show. In fact, taste was closer to an IPA than a marzen. No complexity to speak of either.
Mouthfeel is medium-bodied but not too bitter.
Drinkability: nothing special. For the style, seems to have missed the target. Not a bad beer, just a mis-labeled one. I've enjoyed several other beers from this brewer, sadly, this wasn't one of them.

2.5/5  rDev -37.3%

Pours a clear, extremely amber color into my lager glass, capped with a light tan cookie of head. It leaves behind thick lacing, thanks to the beer-clean glass, and the amber body is full of very energetic, quickly rising bubbles.

Extremely doughy scent - very, very nutty, almost harsh in its quality - somewhat sour. I'm trying to think of the best way to describe the scent, because it's familiar, and not one I'm used to smelling in beer. Ginger, perhaps? Spicy...

Um... About the flavor... well, it's good in that it's commited. It isn't weak, and it isn't wishy-washy. It's very strong. Unfortunately, it's unpleasant to my palate. The first thought that I had was - extremely strangely enough - that this tastes like the breading on fried chicken.

Goud mouthfeel, about right on carbonation, mabye a little light for the style.

I've had a lot better Marzens than this. It smells and tastes weird to me.

2.65/5  rDev -33.6%

In fairness, I will have to try this one agiain this fall. I drank this Oktoberfest beer in May, and it possibly just outlived its life. As for this one, it had a nice copper color, but a thin, white head and no lacing and little aroma. Taste was slightly hoppy, but mostly watery. At mid glass, hints of malt were trying to enter, but were mostly overcome by stale taste. Metallic finish left me not impressed at all with this. Again, given the high ratings by others, I’ll try a fresh one this fall...as fresh as I can get in Atlanta, GA.

2.68/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

500mL from Sherlocks (Marietta, GA). 3.29. Served in a Wild Heaven snifter.

Pours briliant orange gold with two and a half fingers of pillowy white head. Mild lacing.

Subdued nose with wheatbread and mild spice.

Flavors of sweet malts, bread, slight raisin, and bitter lemon.

Light bodied with moderately high carbonation.

Not great. Perhaps there is something here for others but I poured most of mine & won't be buying anymore.

2.7/5  rDev -32.3%

Poured into a glass from a 500ml bottle. Great amber color, fairly clear, with a big head on it. Dry fruity taste, with a fleeting (metallic?) aftertaste at first. Fairly clean drinking, mouthfeel is crisp and light. Not my favorite Oktoberfest by a long shot but its not bad, well other than that aftertaste. I think I must have had a bad bottle, or an old bottle.

2.73/5  rDev -31.6%

Reviewed on paper because the internet was down.

The beer had a two-finger light tan head that hardly moved. The body was was a hazy golden-amber, with huge bubbles of carbonation. The nose was filled with a strong fruity, honey, bread aroma, which was a little sharp. The taste had a very roasted (for an O-Fest), thick flavor, like heavy bread, with light dosing of citrus. The mouth was fairly thick, too much so, with soft carbonation, despite the appearance. This beer made me grimace - I may have had a bad bottle, so I'll try to check again.

2.75/5  rDev -31.1%

2.75/5  rDev -31.1%

2.76/5  rDev -30.8%

2.8/5  rDev -29.8%

Oktober Fest-Marzen pours a golden color with very little head. There is a harsh malty and sour aroma. The taste is the same rather harsh, malty, and almost a bit sour. The body and flavors are light, but that is a good thing. Overall its a below average Marzen.

Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying