Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Oktober Fest-MärzenAyinger Oktober Fest-Märzen

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

500ml bottle.

Pours crystal clear golden amber with a ton of bubbles streaming up from the bottle feeding a thick, fluffy head.

Aroma is crisp clean bready malts, caramel and floral hops. There is some light spiciness as well but the overall character is crisp, clean and malty.

The taste is excellent and maybe a tad sweeter than the nose suggests. There is more caramel and a hint of fruit, pears possibly. There is also a hefty toasted bread backbone.

The mouthfeel is one of the best I've had for this style. So creamy and smooth, much more than any American Oktoberfest I've tasted.

I've always been enamoured with Celebrator so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this is one of the better Oktoberfests in the world. Perfect beer for the season.

4.28/5  rDev +7.3%

Given a choice between Oktoberfest/marzens and pumpkin beers I definitely favor festbiers… in part because of such excellent brews like this one. The cap alone—this cute little image on a bottle cap, imagine that—tells you from the get-go you’re in for a treat. And this beer doesn’t let you down.

It pours a caramel-straw color with some foam and head retention. Tight lacing. It’s sweet, but not overly so. There’s no hop profile to speak of, consistent with the style, but the hops there provide a nice spice and balance to the malty flavor of the beer. It’s refreshing, in a way, starting out crisp with a some caramel on a subdued, sweet finish that I think of as characteristically marzen. The flavors hold up as it warms. Really, a terrific beer. One of my favorites and real treat for the season.

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%

Finally found this fresh and Local. I have tasted quite a few Marzen beers lately, so here goes....

As I poured this into my pint glass I noticed how much cream white head it produces...I wont get too geeky here as this is such a festive beer for me and my heritage.

GOLDEN tan good looking beer. Very good retention as it was poured and quite biscuity. Malts were very prominent but was evened out by the good carbonation in this. The profile was VERY crisp and clean, FRESH. I would definitely look for this over US versions. Most I have tried were just TOO malty and not enough balance. Light, crisp clean and TASTY Marzen. I havent had much of Ayinger besides Celebrator about 5 years ago, but now I understand why this brewery is so sought after and keeps up the demand. One of my favorites "so far" in this style.

Up front Biscuity malt, slight sweetness and then bite from the carbonation and slight hop profile and faint yeast in the finish. Refreshing to say the least. I didnt look at the grade on this before I did this review, but I would say it would have to rank in the top ten for the style.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

I was excited to find this beer at Midtown Wine & Sprits (Nashville, TN) and immediately grabbed one. I enjoy the Octoberfest beers and have typically had American versions in the past. The beer is quite bubbly and pours with a small off-white head. The color of the beer is golden tan. Taste? The taste was great, it felt like a true Octoberfest and I'd gladly have this over American versions. It was malty and had a unique biscuit flavor. A little sweet, but the finish was very smooth...very easy drinking beer. I'm hoping to grab a few for the fridge before they vanish for the season. Also, this beer has one of the most awesome caps, if you collect beer caps.

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

500 mL bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Amber-golden and brilliantly clear with a tallish, off-white head which has decent retention.

Aroma-Bready/toasty Munich malt aroma with light, fruity notes from the malt. There is the impression of great depth of malt character. There are also light, spicy/noble hops on the nose. Profile on the whole is quite clean

Flavor-Rich, Munich malt flavors with dry toast and very low noble hop flavors and moderately low hop bitterness. Lightly sweet up front but rather dry in the finish. Tasty, malt-forward profile. Slightly grainy in the finish.

Mouthfeel-Medium body with smooth, moderate carbonation. Soft on the palate with a nice crispness.

Oktoberfest is not my favorite style, but this is a very nice, malt-forward beverage. Quite good, but I would expect no less from Ayinger.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Another selection at the 2011 Choctaw Oktoberfest. It went great with the smoked bratwurst and grilled knackwurst. Cleanly malty with the typical bread crust, biscuit, and barley husk character of Munich-type malts. Light on the caramel character, which in my mind is the better way to brew this style. Hops run about even with the malt lending plenty of spiciness to balance. It manages to capture the dry yet malty palate that separates the best of the style. Another well-done beer from Brauerei Aying.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from 500 ml into a Sam Adams Mug.

A: Clear dark orange in the middle, golden at the bottom / edges. Minimal lacing. Fluffly, light tan head.

S: Light, clean aroma. A lot of malt. Some light spice / herbal notes.

T: Sweet malty taste with some metallic undertones. Mild hops to finish at the end.

M: Crisp and light. Medium carbonation.

O: Good representation of the style. Easy to drink. Easily sessionable.

4.34/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Golden on the edges and a deeper orange hue in the middle, topped by a fluffy, very lightly tanned head. No lacing to speak of, but the head sticks around in the form of a thin layer.

S: This has a great aroma, smells like fall in a pint glass. I get subtle herbal/spice notes, but none that are too over-powering. It has that rich malty character, but no toasted bread scents. Amazing smell.

T: Great carmel flavors here, complex, but not to the point where you have to think about it. The herbal/spice notes are more full on the taste than in the nose, these come across as nutmeg, maybe a tad of allspice too.

M: Surprisingly effervescent, and moderately to full bodied. It coats the palate and the flavors last a while to extend your experience.

D: This drinks quite nicely, I really love this beer.

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured from 500 ml bottle into English pint glass.

Pours a huge head that eventually diminishes to a one and a half finger head . Its a clear darker golden color. Appears heavily carbonated as there are lots of bubbles. Light lacing occurs.

Smells like a very clean, malty lager. Toasty malts dominate which is accented by that clean german lager aroma thanks to the yeast and some light earthy hops that are noticed in the background.

Some lightly toasted malts and floral hops are the only real flavors I'm pulling from this. Not too much to it. Very crisp and clean. A little bit of sweetness thanks to the malts. A little bit of metallic taste which turns me off.

Very drinkable. Lighter bodied. Moderate carbonation. Not much else to say.

Overall, I think its decent. I personally would like a lot more malt in there. Also the metallic taste in there really kills it. Had better oktoberfest beers for sure.

4.73/5  rDev +18.5%

I'll spare one the formalities. This beer is Awesome. I've been meaning to try one of the Ayinger brands since they've come into this market or when I've been traveling but the opportunity hadn't presented itself. I'm a fan of Marzen beers but this one is quit different. Slightly lighter in color and flavor than the traditional exports I've had, and I've had most of them, this one I could drink all day. A very pretty beer. Not for the spice and pumpkin crowd, but if you enjoy traditional German fare, this one is a must.

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed this bottle of Marzen beer. For a long time, I have been drinking a lot of American oktoberfest beers, and I always found them to be a bit lacking in quality.

I thought I'd give this bottle a chance because it's a German beer. The beer had an amber hue with a healthy amount of foam coming alive.

The beer had a wonderful balance of malt with sweetness that does not overpower you. Some of other Oktoberfest beers are a bit rough around the edge in this department, but not this one.

Overall, I'd drink this again. I am starting to see a pattern in german beers, and I think I like it. It's a refreshing change from all of the new beers that American breweries have been churning out lately. Tradition is often good. It is in this case.

Photo of
3.96/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance - rich golden colour with a striking, frothy head that lasts quite a while.

Smell - clean, sweet malt aroams with subtle herbal hops.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied and creamy while managing to be almost crisp and quite refreshing at the same time.

Taste - Sweet and bready malt with slight hit of bitterness on the finish.

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a tall goblet.

A. A rich amber colour with an off-white head that gradually subsides to a rim of bubbles around the edge of the glass.

S. Bready malts and Golden Syrup-like sweetness.

T. A really good balance of sweet malts and subtle hops which come together in a taste that's greater than the sum of its parts. The sweetness is not overdone but there's still a good malt flavour to get your tongue around, and the hop character, while subdued, leaves a delicate bitter finish in the back of the throat.

M. Light to medium.

O. While there's nothing outstanding about this beer there's nothing wrong with it either. It's a very good, well made example of the style. Not every beer has to blow my socks off - most of the time I'm looking for something that's just plain good, and this fits the bill perfectly.

4.03/5  rDev +1%

Poured from the bottle into a tumbler.

A gorgeous gold bronze body and crystal clear, and high carbonation with foamy bubbles with little retention. Love the body.

Malt and salt, minor grass sense. Nothing more just really solid.

Taste has a great grassy malt finish, mixing with a little sweet sugars. Large bread finish of brown bread, mixed with a good yeast body. Great finish with a mild sugar.

Overall very impressive would have any time.

4.02/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: This beer pours a clear golden amber that looks like a whiskey and ginger ale highball. The two finger head sinks down to a decent quarter inch skim.

Smell: The nose says it's all about sweet,earthy Bavarian malt.

Taste: Great caramel and cereal malt flavor I come to expect with this style with little to no hop bite.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light in the body department.

Overall: This is a decent example of a German Oktober Fest brew.

3.08/5  rDev -22.8%

Crystal clear light orange brew with loads of white fluffy head. It looks clean and crisp but it's plain and nothing more then average.

The nose is in a similar league with light touches of malt mixed with a corn scent. Soft and without a great character. Not bad but very close to average.

Taste follows the average pattern with a dull metallic malt flavor and not much else. I can't say this is a great flavorful beer because it isn't. There isn't anything bold or memorable about it.

The mouthfeel steps it up slightly with a solid carbonation. The strong fizz brightens the lazy malt bill and keeps it worth drinking. All in all just an average brew.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

500mL bottle (no dates or codes) poured into a weizen glass. Nice amber color, crystal clear, with a rich foamy head that leaves some nice sticky lacing. Carbonation is great.

Aroma is fruity and rich - bread and caramel malt. Smells delicious.

Taste follows nose. Malty but not sweet with a great balance. Mouthfeel is crisp and dry, medium body.

I could drink this all day long. This is one of my favorite Märzen/Oktoberfest biers; nothing flashy, just rock-solid good. Really puts me in the mood for fall and I want another one immediately. Prost!

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

I have enjoyed this beer many times over the past year, and count it as one of my favorites. I first had this at Cleveland's Brewzilla beer tasting as part of Cleveland Beer Week, and thought it good. I then served it as part of a line-up of Oktoberfest/marzen beers at my inaugural beer tasting last November, and was surprised when it was judged by our group as the best Oktoberfest of the bunch, beating out Great Lakes, Spaten, Avery and Hacker-Pschorr. However, despite enjoying this excellent example of the style on multiple occasions I've never reviewed it, so here goes:

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a pint glass. Pours a pumpkin-orange color with a three-finger head that slowly reduces to a thin skim.

Smells of mild straw, dry leaves, grains, molasses, and hints of banana. I wonder if they use some of the same yeast you find in Ayinger's hefeweissen beer?

Smooth, malty, and barely bitter to finish, this is a pleasant, easy drinking lager. Mild toffee with hints of barley, this bready, almost biscuity brew that is hard to put down.

Medium bodied, with just the slightest hint of bitter to finish.

Oh, to be in Munich for Oktoberfest and holding a liter of this in a mug! Tasty, balanced and easy drinking, this is a must-have fall beer.

4.76/5  rDev +19.3%

50 cL bottle poured into a Weiss glass (one of the few glasses I have that will hold all of it).

Pours a dark straw color with a massive 1.5 inch white head that't thick as all get out. Carbonation is unbelievable. wow. Looks amazing, one of the best looking beers I've seen.

Smell is all malt. Caramelly goodness mixed with a slightly sweet fruity note.

The taste is surreal. Good grains mixed with a sweet malt. Caramel is the main flavor i get after the light grainy malt. The light body makes it drinkable as hell.

This is one outstanding beer. I thought nothing could dethrone Great Lakes Oktoberfest, but at least it lost to a German brewery.

2 year update for a BA favorite, if not my own. A fresh stock from a local.

A -- Clear, deep gold to amber with a firm, sudsy, off-white head.

S -- Sweet, bready malt with mild, spicy hops back.

T -- Good balance of sweet, toasty malts and spicy hops up front -- balancing more to the malt. There's a mellow yeastiness in the middle and a mild bitterness in the finish. Not the most malty Okto out there, but a very delicious Bavarian lager. No off characters at all in this batch.

M -- Soft mouthfeel with a light-medium body. Finishes dry, as a good Okto will.

O -- Much better than past samplings of Ayinger's Okto, though I still wish it was bigger in the bready malts. Nonetheless, worthy of a try at this time of year.

Previous review:
A -- No gusher this time, as before. Hazy, golden -- honey-colored beer with a long-lasting, thick and firm off-white head with good lacing.

Not exactly Wies'nfest color, and not exactly amber Märzen in color either, but the hazing isn't great to-style.

S -- Eh, boy. Sour, vegetal nose at first whiff -- had this sort of trouble with a lot of Oktos last year. Some vague toasted bread notes back.

T -- Mmm. Flavor makes up for the slightly sour nose -- big hit of sweet, bready malts -- maybe a touch of honey -- that fades subtly to a dry, toasty character. No hop flavor or bitterness to really speak of, maybe right at the finish - but very fleeting. Very nice decoction mash maltiness. Comes across more Wies'nfest style than traditional Amber Märzen.

M -- Soft mouthfeel with a light-medium body.

D -- Very nice, though the touch of sourness comes through with warming. Makes me wonder how fragile Ayinger's beers are.

Serving type: bottle / B+ 3.88

Reviewed on: 09-14-2009 18:48:42

3.02/5  rDev -24.3%

A very BMC like look to it. A darker golden color with a fizzy head that dissipates quickly. A minute amount of lacing. Hmm, did I accidentally pour a Budweiser?

Lightly sweet biscuity/bready nose with a hint of spice. Pretty average smell.

Light malt sweetness with biscuit and cookie notes. A touch of spicy and earthy hops.

The carbonation is fizzy, the body feels a bit watered down. Finishes dry.

After reading all of the positive things about this beer, I have to wonder what I am missing. This is an average beer overall at best and that's not even to speak for its ranks in the style. Lacks in so many areas that I can't believe the overall rating that it holds. I won't be reaching for this one again.

500mL bottle poured into a dimpled mug. No date on bottle.

Appearance: Crystal clear amber to coppery orange beer with lots of bubbles coming up through the beer. Poured a 1/2" light tan-hint of orange foam which died down to a 1/16" thick foam across the top. Islands and sheets of lacing noted, but they had a tendency to slide back down the glass into the beer.

Smell: Lovely malt forward beer. Plenty of caramel malt and just a hint of some floral and earthy hops in there.

Taste: Definitely a better beer when fully warmed up. There is a bit of a metallic taste at the beginning when the beer is first poured but that goes away once the beer warms up. Initial malt flavor is caramel and biscuity, moving quickly into a earthy bitterness from the hops. Finish is clean - some lingering hop bitterness but it fades nicely away to leave a clean palate for the next drink. Not deep or amazing in flavor complexity, but certainly well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, but it's there and off the tongue very quickly. A bit chewy but in a good way.

Overall / Drinkability: A solidly good Marzen beer. I suspect this would be much better with food but by itself it's quite nice. Definitely better when warm than cold, but hey, that's on purpose isn't it?

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

Review dated 12/19/2008.

Surprisingly average given the hype. Maybe I am just not a huge fan of this style or of Brauerei Aying. Similar to Sam Adams Octoberfest other than the distinctive yeast profile. Good, but not special. Strong caramel malt, hardly any hop character, slightly bitter finish. Standard Oktoberfest appearance and mouthfeel.

4.24/5  rDev +6.3%

A- Medium head, dark straw color, minimal lacing

S- sweet malts, fruity, yeasty bread. Fall leaves and forest floor coming through, very nice.

T- Very earthy, sweet fruit accents, malt, honey, caramel.

M- Smooth and creamy, well balanced.

O- Very good brew, perfect way to welcome fall. Everything is well balanced and finishes clean. The earthy notes are impressive, feels like drinking the fall season.

3.83/5  rDev -4%

from 500ml bottle..loved the cap on this one very artistic

A-pours a slight hazed golden color with an off-white 2 finger head revealing good lacing..fresh looking

S- was malts and caramel and bread some fruits

T- followed nose with with lots of carmelized malts and honey,fruit and a baked bread finish ..very nice

M- medium carbonation with sweetness on the palate,a tad bit thin/flat on the tongue

O- a tasty marzen and one i recommend

Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying