Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Oktober Fest-MärzenAyinger Oktober Fest-Märzen

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev -4.8%

16.9 from EBI. Sitting on my couch; stomach grumbling.

Coolest bottle cap going on this one. I feel like I'm distorting a pastoral scene when I open the bottle.

A - straw golden; a thin head; lacking much lacing.

S - crispy, hoppy, that marzeny-something. not sweet aromas but citrusy a little; new carpet?

T - light and satisfying. a sugary bitterness coats the tongue in the aftertaste. light malts and a low-key hop profile. very renheitsgebotish.

M - thin enough. give a bit of a rough pour to release enough carbonation.

D - has a savory quality that could possibly deter one from drinking several steins. but it is fresh, it is clean, it is a good sessionable beer, although with a quality that will prevent you from stuffing too many into your GI.

4.15/5  rDev +4%

Poured an orange-golden with a big frothy head.

Sweet caramel and grains in the nose, a hint of a floral hop note.

Sweet malt, toasted bread, a floral hoppy note, and a subtle light fruit note. A nice blend of flavors.

Very crisp and clean feeling.

I think this is my favorite German Oktoberfest. I wish I could get more Ayinger, they have yet to disappoint me.

3.91/5  rDev -2%

Pours a beautiful, deep copper color with a foamy, light tan head. Head falls slow leaving behind decent lace.

Mild grainy aroma with a hint of sweetness. No real hops in the smell.

Yummy, toasty malts in the taste with hints of caramel. A slight metallic taste is in there too ending in a roasty bitterness.

Medium bodied and rather smooth yet biting on the tongue.

Good stuff. Now this is a lager.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Pours clear gold with a creamy 1 finger off white head that faded slowly; the beer had fast bubbles speeding up the brew and it left good lacing and a nice creamy layer on top.

Smells of grains, caramel, faint lemon or citrus hops, sweet malt, light bread and earthy tones like grass or hay; a light grainy nose overall.

Tastes of lightly toasted grains, caramel, lemon, light citrus hops, sweet malt, wet bread, hay, grass, perhaps some yeast, and a touch of honey and a husk taste to it that reminds you of traditional old school German brewing. It's simple yet complex flavor is very tasty and this just epitomizes a good basic German beer.

Mouthfeel is light, creamy and smooth, this has a medium body but flows down with ease; carbonation is quite mellow and leaves a semi-dry grainy finish that has a malt sweetness, which is very nice.

High drinkability as I could drink this all night on its own or with a meal. A really good beer to pound in October, November, December...

3.56/5  rDev -10.8%

500 ml bottle. Pours deep golden with a lasting head and medium carbonation. Nose is sweet, juicy malt. Crisp, medium body. Bready, sweet malt dominate the palate, with some perfume and floral hops in the background. Medium finish is more balanced. The beer is lighter on hops and color than the best American Octoberfests, but it's clean, easy drinking and overall delicious.

3.82/5  rDev -4.3%

Look - Light amber in color, and fairly clear. Went a little over zealous with the pour, and got about 3 fingers of foam, which dissipated somewhat quickly. Moderate carbonation.

Smell - Very earthy smelling. Fairly well-hopped, probably using nobles, as it smells very clear, pure, and fresh.

Taste - Actually a little more on the malty side, but the purity of the hops used shines through the malts, without too much of a bitterness. Texture is fairly well-balanced as well.

Drinkability - A lovely brew and very drinkable. Complex and great taste with a moderate abv.

4.44/5  rDev +11.3%

So far this may well be my favorite Oktoberfest. have had it a few times, and despite the fact that I generally avoid this style, I'm always pleasantly surprised by this beer. In any case, certainly one of my favorite bottle caps!!

Nice golden caramel color. Fairly clear looking. Lots of visible carbonation. A tall yellowish-white froth of two fingers caps my beer with pretty good retention.

Smells very sweet. Lots of caramel notes and mild biscuitty malts. Mild aroma of sourdough bread as the beer warms.

The flavor is sweet, as is the nose. Caramel malt and crisp bready flavors. Typical European earthy hops lend a mild bitterness.

Crisp and light bodied. Pretty typical for the style.

A refreshing beer, great cold. I could drink several of these happily when the mood strikes.

3.13/5  rDev -21.6%

Bought this at the recommendation at the owner of the local beer store. First try at a German October Fest brew. I've had Sam Adams Octoberfest, but I got the sense this is truer to an octoberfest/marzen style.

A: Had a nice pumpkin color with a very generous and decent murky white head. Lacing lasted all the way to the bottom of the glass.

S: Had nice notes of honey and malts.

T: This one was a bit drier than I would have liked. As a result, the mouthfeel and drinkability scored lower than they normally would. I got honey, caramel and nice malt tastes.

M: Due to the dryness of the beer, the mouth feel was a little bit much for me. I enjoy beers with lower carbonation and less hops.

D: Not a hard beer to put away. It has a nice balance of flavor and alcohol.

Probably a great beer for the style, but just not for me at this point of my beer journey.

3.97/5  rDev -0.5%

500 ml. bottle. 2010 batch. The pour is orange-gold with a whole lot of puffy, long lasting head that never goes away. Sweet and roasted malts greet the nose in an inviting fashion. The creamy body leads to a caramel sweetness in the taste, which is almost honey like. There is a nice roastiness and pleasant dryer finish. A very nice Octoberfest beer from those who know how to do it right.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

This is the epitome of an Oktoberfest.
In a mug it was a clear copper color with a medium-sized white head.
It had a sweet caramel aroma
Caramel taste, bready. A little bit nutty.
Very smooth, real depth.
Great beer. One that I will be drinking again; I really enjoyed it.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Of all octoberfest beers I had this fall,I enjoyed this one the most. It smelled like honey when I opened it. The beer has a dark golden haze to it. A lil carbonation and foam. The taste is fresh clove,fruit,malty flavor. Very smooth tasting.I really enjoyed it I wish I had more. Looking foward to getting more beers by Ayinger.

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%

A real light orangey yellow color. The head was simi-clear, thin off white head. The nose was odd. I can't really pin point anything. It is a little skunky and a little bitter? Nice mouth feel! There is some earthy and leathery taste. Some nice walnut or pecan nuttiness. However, the finish is light. This is a good beer and great for the season but it seems like it's missing something?

3.75/5  rDev -6%

Very atttactive light amber clear brew with decent off-white head.

Only a slight malt aroma.

Flavor is ok but below average for the style. None of the expected maple and caramel notes. Sorta muddled really flavorwise. Too much prickle on the tongue. Very dry which is nice, which mellow into a more malty direction as it warms up.

Fairly heavy mouthfeel but throw off by the prickly carbonation.

Not a bad beer at all but it does feel a bit unorganized. Just doesn't quite work for me. (again this is a tough style of beer with many amazing competitors)

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

27th review on BA
Bottle to mug

App- Dark Orange with little carbonation. Full 3 finger head that was very dense. I could hear it fizzle and it was gone in a bit prob. 2 mins.

Smell- Clean and crisp smelling with light hops and some malt. I get a small dose of earthy highlights, yeast and maybe a touch of roast.

Taste- I really like this Oktoberfest. It was better than most I had this season. The flavors are well balanced and very clean on the palate.

Mouth- Light carbonation and was very clean at the finish.

Drink- Again, I just really like what Ayinger does. Call me biased. This is a solid product.

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

A - Pours a clear golden amber with ruby highlights. 3 fingers of foamy off-white head with rings of lace.

S - Doughy honey yeast with lemon & metallic notes. Funky caramel mixed in with brown sugar as well. Tangy peaches.

T - Bready malted grain blended with a musty yeast. A toasted caramel envelopes mild earthy lemon-citrus hops. Faint cinnamon spice. Aftertaste is of soft spiced apples.

M - Medium body with a smooth texture.

An Oktoberfest with great yeast character. Good all around. I wish it was cheaper.

3.43/5  rDev -14%

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is sweet, a bit of malts. Taste is a good balance of malts and hops, just a tad of sweetness to it. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a good quality beer.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Love the cap on this one!

A- I'm enamored with the color of this. A lucid copper with lots of visible carbonation. 2 finger head that dissipates rather fast and leaves no lacing.

S- Sweet bready malts, a little nut and caramel. The hops are noticeable in this as well, spicy, floral, and earthy.

T- Taste is light in flavor, but balanced very nicely between the sweet malts & noble hops.

M- Excellent feel, smooth and creamy. Medium body and a suitable amount of carbonation.

D- A style I'm not really familiar with, but it went down awful fast.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light burnt orange with a puffy white head, turns into a fizzy, patchy cap not leaving much lacing.

Smells a bit metallic and grainy. Seems to improve once the head settles down and sweet toffee malts come into play. Truthfully, barely hangs on to the 3.5.

Pretty much full on toasty malts with sweetness taking a backseat. Toasted white bread, grains, light clove and nutty flavors come to mind. There seems to be very little hop presence/flavors. Sweetness of the toffee malts come out a little more as it warms.

Very solid mouthfeel. Smooth, well-carbonated, full body. Crisp and refreshing. 500ml is easily drinkable.

Good Oktoberfest although I was more impressed by it last year. This year I preferred the more complex flavors of Paulaner's. If only I could combine those flavors with this mouthfeel...

3.96/5  rDev -0.8%

This is a tastey brew but not my personal fav. I still like Hacker Pschorr Marzen/Oktoberfest the best. This is not too far off. I bit more carmel sweetness to it. Excellent beer nonetheless. Very pricey in my area. 60 case of beer is pushing my pricing point. I love great beer but that's getting crazy for a fest beer. If you get a chance try it. It's a solid offering.

4.35/5  rDev +9%

A- A deep copper color. From the tap, this brew sports a very sticky head which leaves big sheets of lace on the glass.

S- We were surprised by the very pronounced aromas of stone fruits: cherry & peaches are right up front. Caramel, malt, grain aromas.

T- Rich malt & caramel flavors for the type. Toast w/ clover honey.

M, D- Rich medium body with super-easy drinkability.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a mug. Showed a deep caramel orange/brown with a thick white head with tremendous retention and lacing. Smell was sweet with bready malts, caramel and brown sugar. Some faint earthy hops as well. Taste was full and chewy with the caramel sweetness playing big and balanced by some hop dryness in the finish. Not typically a fan of Oktoberfest beers but this was incredible. One of the most drinkable beers I've had in a while, certainly going to pick up a few more bottles while I can.

3.2/5  rDev -19.8%

Presentation: Pint glass and bottle.

A: Copper in color with a frothy two-finger head that quickly dissipates. Perfectly clear.

S: Hops come through with plenty of malt character. Some roasted notes

T: Light hop character and light malt character. Roast from the nose doesn't come through as much.

M: Very smooth. The best part about the beer for sure.

Notes: I'm not particularly familiar with the style, but I'm not exactly impressed. While it is a good beer that I'd drink on many occasions, it isn't great.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

Dimpled mug for this guy. First thing I notice about the beer is the clarity - it's very clear. The next thing I notice is the aroma, which I can smell from where I'm sitting - my glass is about an arm's length away. Next we have the head, which is rocky, with inconsistent large and small bubbles. As it fades, the head retention is strange. It looks like fat suspended in broth - lets hope it doesn't taste like that. Aroma reminds me a little bit of a farm, kind of like damp straw. Damp leaves maybe. Color is amber moving to gold, a little bit darker than a pumpkin. Taste is light, with a slightly salt water mineral finish. Mouthfeel isn't sticky, more along the lines of creamy. Lager yeast is the name of the game here, as it dominates everything, from the nose of the beer into the first taste. I expected this to have more malt characteristics, honestly, and they are there, to be sure, though not as sweet as I would like. Instead hops are the focus, with some grassy dandelion hops lending a small amount of bitterness to the whole thing. I find this beer strangely drinkable. It's not like anything I've had before - and that's always surprising. Distinctive.

4.07/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: Copper/gold, looks carbonated, 2-finger head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Bright sweet caramel malt. kind of has a banana nut bread smell.

Taste: Yeast grainy caramel malt honey toasty.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, smooth a bit oily at the finish.

Drinkability: Very easy drinking.

4.53/5  rDev +13.5%

I poured this 500 ml bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.

A: clear, brilliant orange-gold, the light tan head quickly falls into a mottled cap with good lacing. Exactly what I expect from the style.

S: lots of yeasty bread aromas, caramel, floral German hops, honey, nutmeg.

T: sweet bread, honey, and fruity yeast funk up front, floral hops and a pleasant earthy, gently spicy (nutmeg?) note in the middle, and gentle grassy/herbal notes in the long finish. This is a harmonious and very well put-together beer. A classic.

M: full-bodied, almost syrupy at times, the carbonation is crisp and perfect for the style, but also thoroughly refreshing.

D: I have finally found the best Märzen of the season. The Germans have been doing it for centuries, and they still do it better than anybody else.

Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying