Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Oktober Fest-MärzenAyinger Oktober Fest-Märzen

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-15-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +19%

3.73/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a light copper color with a medium head. Lacing sticks elegantly to the glass. The 500 ml bottle is unremarkable.

Smell: Bread, grain, maybe a bit of skunk, and light hops. Pretty nice.

Taste: I'm not sure about this. For a marzen, I'm surprised how much the tastes centers around the bread. It starts sweet with a significant herbal note (the hops) and then finishes relatively dry. The taste is complex, and I can't put my finger on all the flavors here.

Mouthfeel: The lager has a bitter aftertaste, which juxtaposes the relatively sweet beginning. Mouthfeel is somewhat sticky. The bread sticks to the tongue for minutes after your last sip.

Overall: This is an unusual marzen, and it's good, but I wouldn't call it perfectly balanced. The malt drives the beer, and the hops just don't offer much more than black tea flavor. It's worth trying but is overrated in my opinion.

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%

500ml bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance
Crystal clear gold with 3 fingers of white head. Decent retention and moderate carbonation.

Nose
Grass, pear, caramel and bread.

Taste
Bready, bready, bready maltiness. Molasses and caramel with notes of brown sugar. Hints of cantaloupe, grassy hops and skunk (in a good way).

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, velvety and crisp.

Overall
I buy one of these every year and it always hits the spot. A great example of the Oktoberfest style.

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In my opinion this is the industry-standard when it comes to Oktoberfest. Poors out of the bottle with a 3 inch had that lasts for about 5 to 10 minutes. The lace on the side of the glass extends throughout the drink itself. A little lighter orange amber color than other Oktoberfest but seems to have a little more pronounced mouth feel. Like all other Oktoberfest's you really start to enjoy the depth and quality of the malt as it approaches 50°. This beer, and its brothers and sister in the style, coupled with NFL football is what makes the fall season exceedingly enjoyable!

3.51/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Ayinger's Oktober Fest-Marzen a few days ago for $3.59 at The Lager Mill. It's pretty early for Oktoberfests, but it was a very fall like day in mid Michigan and I wanted to drink this beer as fresh as possible so I decided to give a try today, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so it has to be fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 500ml bottle into a Oktoberfest style mug.

A- The bottle looks pretty good, the label has a nice traditional look with some shiny gold colors that help it stick out and the bottle cap is pretty nice looking, it reminds me of a postcard for Frankenmuth, Michigan. It poured a nice and slightly clear golden amber color that took on some nice brighter amber colors when held to the light with three fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring that that eventually faded away and left some spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking Marzen, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness with lots of sweet malts coming through with some caramel, slight toffee, bready and grain like aromas. Up next comes some dark fruit aromas with raisins sticking out the most and there's a slight honey aroma in the background. This beer has a nice aroma, but the dark fruit threw me off a little for the style and the sweetness seemed a little too dominant.

T- The taste starts off with a pretty high amount of medium sweetness followed by some sweet malts, grainy, bready, and caramel flavors. Up next comes a pretty big fruit flavor with apples seeming to stick out the most and it's a little cider like with the dark fruits barely showing up in the background, I think those fruity flavors are mainly from the yeast. On the finish there's a higher amount of low bitterness with a sweet, grainy and caramel malt like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beet but it wasn't as true to style as I would like and I think the yeast was too fruity for the style.

M- Fairly smooth, dry, a little sticky, on the light side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I could have gone without the stickyness.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer, but I didn't think it was the best example of the style since the yeast and the sweetness seemed a little too dominant for this beer and I think that's pretty out of place for this style. This beer has ok drinkability, it's fairly smooth, but the flavors didn't do a good job at holding my attention and one would be enough for me, this isn't the kind of beer that I would drink multiples of since I think the yeast and sweetness would really start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer is the appearance, it looked good and pretty true to style. What I liked least about this beer was the yeast and the sweetness, they seemed to dominate this beer and over power the classic Marzen flavors that are suppose to shine through. I wouldn't buy this beer again, there's many other German Marzens that I prefer more, All in all I thought this was a nice beer, but it didn't impress me since it wasn't what I was looking for in a traditional German Marzen, it just wasn't what I was expecting from the style. It's not a bad beer, but it's not a great example of the style. So far it's my least favorite German made Marzen.

4.75/5  rDev +19%

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

4.15/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

My personal quest for the 'breadiest' beer led me to this step along the way...

A: Clear, burnt orange with some head retention and decent lacing.

S: Sweet bread, malt, yeast, candy sugar...if 'Awesome' had a smell, it would be this.

T: Again, sweet bread, buttered crust, malt, faint medicinals.

M: Smooth, slightly creamy mouthfeel, light carbonation, not too heavy and extremely quaffable.

Overall: As far as Oktoberfests go (and beers in my general opinion), this is a superb specimen. Bready, yeasty, dangerously drinkable...this beer goes down smooth in quantity. I will definitely seek this out for years to come.

3.79/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

500ml bottle. Pours a crystal clear golden amber wit a med to large lasting fluffy white. Aroma and taste of sweet toasted barley and grains, a bit of caramel malt, some light fruity notes. A medium bodied, crisp and refreshing on the palate, with good carbonation. The finish is sweet toasted barley and grains, fruity, light bitterness, some yeast notes. This is an all nicely balanced, crisp and refreshing Oktoberfest. Very nice.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying