Ayinger Weizenbock - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Germany

Weizenbock |  7.10% ABV

Beer added by: shbobdb on 06-09-2007

Ratings: 732 | Reviews: 363

Pours cloudy dark amber with a moderate head. Huge pleasant aroma of banana, pear, cloves and peaches. Taste is sweet, fruity and delicious, similar to the Ayinger Ur-Weisse multiplied by 2. Thankfully all of the Ayinger beers are easy to find in the area for which I am extremely grateful. For me they are the gold standard of Bavarian beers although I have never travelled abroad. I have consumed several cases of the weizenbock and ur-weisse and have never been disappointed, regardless of what I am eating, drinking or feeling. They are truly miraculous in this respect, always enjoyable.

One of the most sensational beers I have ever tried. I certainly do have a fondness for heffeweizens, tripels, etc so I am making that my disclaimer here before my review. I could literally drink this beer forever and not get tired of it. Smells like delicious wheat, banana, hint of clove and citrus, all perfectly balanced. Nice solid 2 finger head that dissipates within 2 minutes. very nice white head with a hint of yellow around the edges. Tastes delicious, full thick wheaty taste, with lots of banana and smooth as a baby's bottom. clean and crisp from start to finish, no hint of alcohol, no burn or heat emanating at any point during a sip. Enough complexity to keep me coming back, and as my amateur palate develops, I will continue to drink this beer to continue to explore all of its mystique and beauty.

You know those things you experience that make you feel glad to be alive? Things so damned good that you feel a little guilty by just enjoying them? For me, the Ayinger Weizen-Bock is one of those things - both a simple pleasure and a profound experience, simultaneously.

A- Cloudy yellow-amber, with a touch of pearlescent olive. The huge, shaving cream white foam settles a bit, but never really quits. Lots of lace.

S- The aroma of this beer is spectacular. Irresistable. Totally seductive. Big clove and nutmeg phenols. Rich fruity soft-banana esters. Lavish honeyed puffed wheat. Classic hefe yeast on overdrive, afterburners, and turbo boost.

T- HUGE, round, full, opulent flavors of soft banana, clove, nutmeg, honey-puffed wheat, yeasty dough, and bubble gumballs carpet bomb the palate with pleasure. The long, lingering sweet finish is like that after enjoying a piece of perfect banana bread.

M, D- Feel is rich, on the full side of medium, but PERFECTLY balanced, and the CO2 ideally livens the maltiness. Far too drinkable for what it is, evidence of expert brewing craftsmanship.

This Ayinger Weizen-Bock is a masterful creation.

I absolutely adore Vitus, but Ayinger's Weizen-Bock, dare I say, is somehow more drinkable, and thus offers a bit more pleasure.

Take a look at the label art, and notice our friend the German billy goat (Bock) has a pair. Quite appropriate, since this Ayinger Weizen-Bock definitely has a pair too.

Purchased a bottle this from Total Wine in Delaware. Another miracle-beer out of Aying. Pours a golden, cloudy haze with the perfect head for a wheat beer.
Smell is sweet.
Taste is bananas & cloves, very smooth and not too sharp. Possibly vanilla too. Very sweet.
Mouthfeel is heavy and just right.
Excellent purchase.

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

Look:
Golden color, very cloudy. Lots of carbonation rising up. Thick marshmellow like head. Leaves a awesome lacing behind.

Smell:
Aroma is very assertive. Lots of spice, cloves, banana, bready wheat.

Taste:
Bursting with tons of flavor. Bready, cloves, banana, bubble gum, orange spice, peppery, caramel. Crisp smooth finish. Full bodied, milk shake texture, soft carbonation.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: cloudy gold with a solid three finger head.

Smell: Yeast, wheat, dark fruits, tartness, and a crisp character.

Taste: Thick and smooth. Wheat malt, incredible diversity of fruit esters that fill the palate.

Drinkability: This beer may just be the best I've ever had. World class for sure.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

This beer knocked my socks off and it's hard for me to believe the brothers haven't tried it yet.

Pours a perfect reddish golden hazy color with a nice off white head. Make sure you pour it in two stages per the label's instructions.

Flavors are spicy and subtle ripe fruits and cloves.

Mouthfeel is perfect for me. High amounts of carbonation, exactly what you expect from this ABV. Light and refreshing and yet full and complex.

Drinkability is high for the ABV and incredible amount of flavors. It is far, far to easy to drink too much of this stuff.

Ho-Slaps every other bock I've ever had. Period.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

A: beer is an opaque orange in the glass, with tons of lacing resting warmly under a blanket of meringue-like foam.

S: there is a strong banana note that dominates the aroma, with slight hints of honey and orange zest.

T: the banana flavor follows through, dominating this refreshing brew. The brew is dry overall, with a touch of acidity to make it dangerously refreshing.

M: medium body with a slight grit from suspended yeast. mouthfeel is topped off with a healthy dose of carbonation.

D: definitely a solid weizenbock. Definitely worth seeking out.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Nose: Banana bread aromas with a hint of clove,
Cloudy orange 2” white foam cap, rocky, persistent, clingy, lacy.
Palate: Malt driven, big banana bread with slight tartness from the wheat (hint of lemon) on the end but there is a light sweetness throughout.
Medium full body, medium high carbonation, very fine and soft, creamy.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer was a surprisingly delightful experience. I poured the cloudy, lively-colored brew into a glass and was converted into a weizen-bock fanatic instantly. I've tried a fair few now but I think this is quite possibly my favorite. Aventinus is another great one but it doesn't have the same refreshing quality. Vitus is great also but not as cloudy and substantial. I should add that I had this beer after a long day working outside. My thirst and desire for a cold refreshing beverage may have something to do with my decision to award this brew a near perfect 5.

4.74/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a golden-orange hue with some good lookin haziness, not much of a head seemed to form up, but what did seems to leave pretty good lacing on the glass. Has a very fruit forward aroma, with some vanilla-creamy notes and a slight butterscotch smell to it, pretty enticing. Taste is insanely creamy and full of bananas, butterscotch and natural fruity yeast flavors. Touch of sweetness towards the end of the sip, with just a tad bit of bitterness and alcohol presence to round the brew out nicely. Very smooth and refreshing mouthfeel, leaning towards the medium-light body, this is a great beer and one that should be shared. Drinkability is definitely on the high side, such a flavorful and delightful experience to kick back and enjoy this one.

4.73/5  rDev +12.9%

I've never run into an Ayinger product I didn't like. I'm going to go on a limb and say that this won't be the first. 500 ml bottle, on to the beer:

It pours the yellow color, not the dark color. It doesn't matter, because it looks sexy. Bright goldenrod color catches the eyes, cloudy in the body, and the head is showing great retention this far. Big banana aroma. Some ground clove gets mixed with the banana. Spicy. Shredded wheat notes too.

Oh yeah! This is like Ayigner's regular hefe on crack rock. The flavors are much bigger, and much sexier. Yet at the same time, no one flavor is totally dominant. Banana bread, cinnamon, clove, allspice, and a little edge of fresh bubblegum balls. The alcohol is hidden nicely underneath this tasty beer. The body is fluffy, medium-large, with smalll carbonation bubbles hitting. The spice creates a pleasant reaction to my palate.

My first "oh shit!" beer of 2010 comes from my favorite German brewery, and one of my favorite styles of beer. I'm very glad Merchant du Vin began importing this beer to the states, because I'll be getting more of this stuff very soon.

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

This hazy brew pours an apricot color, with a two finger white head composed of big bubbles. The head remains for quite some time. The beer is otherwise full of murky sediment, and has clean carbonation throughout. The bright aroma is complex. There are notes of fermented banana, strong esters, light citrus, wheat, and a curious smoked character. The taste follows closely to the map drawn by the aroma. We begin with clean wheat and sweet grain. This, through the middle, becomes even sweeter. Here we get notes of banana, strawberry, and robust vanilla. All of this washes into an aftertaste, where clove and earthy spice meet with the charcoal smoke from the nose. The feel of each sip is delightfully creamy and frothy, as it generously coats the mouth. The beer's body is medium to full, with the carbonation remaining evenly medium. The pleasant sweetness of the brew, and the easy feel on the mouth, make this quite drinkable.

Overall, this has been a long time favorite of ours, and is the beer that got us into weizenbocks. What is best about this beer is the complexity of the taste. There is such a range of flavors here, from fruit, to cream, to smoke, which, curiously and expertly, are melded together to form an entirely unique brew of the highest quality.

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

appearance: thick foamy white head that stayed around the whole time, very hazy orange amber color

smell: biscuity bready wheat smell, citrus slight malt scent

taste: pronounced bread flavor with sweet malt, grapefruit or orange flavor, very little bitterness, some fruit flavors: apple or perhaps peach

mouth feel: very refreshing, nice smooth creamy feel, medium bodied, leaves a dry fruit sensation at the end, definitely very drinkable and very delicious, good carbonation

overall: I bought the pint bottle and had heard great things about Ayinger. I really enjoyed this beer, it was very delicious but slightly more sweetness than I prefer but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of this beer. Very drinkable beer, I would definitely buy this again

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Damn, you, spellcheck! Trying to turn weizenbock into weathercock.

Ayinger Weizenbock. 500ml into my .5l Swiss boot. Had this beer once before but didn't review it, figured I'd buy some more as it's incredibly tasty.

A- Pours a little lighter than expected, peachy in color, with a frothy, active head that quickly settles right to the 'pour line' on my boot. A perfect pour, can't get much better than that. Coloration is a bit (just a bit) duller than I would like, although this beer is lighter than many weizenbocks in color, so perhaps it's just the way it is. Head has incredible staying power.

S- Yeast- the smell of pizza dough being stretched out. Cloves, cinnamon, and pear skin. Very nice, pretty good depth to it... I could get lost in the aromas for days if I didn't want to drink it so bad.

T- This is where this beer, and weizenbocks in general, shine. Buckets of flavor. Sweet, robust but not too-heavy malts provide a platform for sweet apples, bananas, and plum flavors. Cloves are here, and have a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg to round them out. The whole flavor profile works *wonderfully* together. One of the most well-put-together beers I've had... pretty much ever. I am really impressed at this one.

M- High carbonation, pretty heavy body but it doesn't get bogged down. Flavors are perfect, leaving a great taste in your mouth. Can't find a flaw here.

D- High, with ABV in mind. I'd have 2 500ml bottles no problem. This is a phenomenal beer, prob. in my top 3 weizenbocks, and by Jove, one of the best beers I've had in a long time. I was waiting in anticipation to see how Ayinger would do with this, and they hit it out of the park. If you love German beers, weizenbocks, or flavorful beers in general, do not wait to seek this one out. @ $4 and change for a 500ml bottle, it's a great price, too!

Note- Weizenbocks are among one of my favorite styles. This is damn near perfection! Amazing, Ayinger!

4.69/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

500 ml bottle poured into a weizen glass.
7.1% ABV

A - As cloudy as can be, this lighter weizenbock appears more like a dirty apricot than a darker dunkel-type weiss beer. It's creamy and tight off-white head towers over the cloudy beer for some time before slowly dropping to a thick skim of foam that leaves small fingers of lace.

S - Heavy clove and white pepper yeast-driven spice esters waft from the nose and blanket the smooth ripe banana notes that peek through. This weizenbock's malty base gives the beer a bready feel just like a doppelbock despite it's lighter color. Paired with the banana, the malty base gives the beer a spicy banana bread-like aroma that's quite inviting!

T - Profoundly bready, this beer's maltiness coats the tongue with a light dribble of sweet caramel, warm, gooey banana bread - banana derived from the bold yeast esters - and slightly buttery finish. Like the aroma, clove spice cannot be missed, lingering through all the beer's other complexities.

M - Ayinger's Weizenbock has the perfect mouthfeel for a beer of this style; rich and malty with a big body and slight lingering sweetness but balanced expertly by incredibly soft, creamy wheat, bright carbonation, and complimentary spice on the finish. Über smooth!

O - Though shockingly lighter than most weizenbock beers, Ayinger Weizenbock features all the same characteristics and blends them fabulously! Spice forward, this beer has yeast incorporated through every aspect of it from the aroma and flavor to finish. Creamy smooth, it's like fresh, moist banana bread, without any nuts, filling the stomach providing sustenance.

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

Those guys at Ayinger don't mess around.

A member of an Indiana homebrew club managed to smuggle this gem back with him from Germany. Now, not to be a dick and split styles, this is almost more of an Imperial Hefeweizen -- or a Helles Weizenbock, if you will.

It pours looking just like any other weizen, but a perfect weizen. Pale yellow with a huge frothy head and enough haze from a large yeast clump at the bottom of the bottle to blow you away.

The smell was actually fairly subdued. I mean, there were all the weizen elements there, but the smell was fairly muted compared to . . .

OH MY GOD! The banana and clove that hits you when you take a sip is incredible! Coupled with a blast of peach and a hefty dose of alcohol that cleared the palate. It was definitely sweet, there is no argument there, but for how BIG this beer was, it was actually pretty mild on the malt component. Essentially, the malt was there to play a balancing role between the ester overload and the alcoholic blast. The overall feel was a balanced beer.

The mouthfeel is where this beer really breaks rank with normal weizens. Ayinger's weizens have always been a little heavier than the standard, so this beer is like a biscuit-and-gravy breakfast. Very thick, very rich. Wow. It feels big without crossing the line.

The drinkability? Are you kidding me? I could drink this like it was a regular Weizen. Man, I wish we could get this stuff in the US.

As expected, Ayinger delivers another knock-out.

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a glowing apricot color with a gorgeous fluffy cream colored head.

S: Bananas foster, caramel, clove, rich bready malt and brown sugar. Fantastic.

T: Rich wheat and banana with a big bready malt backbone. The carbonation holds up the flavors perfectly. I freaking love Ayinger.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

Has a cloudy dark straw color, and the head is impressive. It lasts quite some time while keeping its shape.
Smells of the great German hefeweizens I always crave! Lots of the esters I love.
Tastes amazing... a tiny bit of the banana taste, but a strange mixture of what seems like the flavor of the malts, mixed with a ton of wheat, really interesting!

I am ashamed to say this is my first Ayinger beer, but I will try them all now!

4.65/5  rDev +11%

Alright this was a surprise.Someone at a beer store told me I should try this one,that it is really good.And right they were.I poured this into a glass,checked out the nice golden haze.Watched the tiny bubbles.I took a drink of it and tasted a lil citrus,but unexpectedly banana and cloves.THe beer has a fresh and smooth taste to it.Great taste of hops and malts.Alcohol of 7.1.I became happier the more I drank. I tried to enjoy every single drink. Before I wanted I had finished 17oz?.After that I was mad for not buying more.Wow what a great Beer!!I will be buying more soon and trying to share some with my friends.

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle: Poured a cloudy amber color bock with a large off-white foamy head with great retention and some lacing. Aroma of banana bread ester is just about perfect with just the right amount of residual sugar. Taste is also a near perfect mix of banana bread with sweet wheat malt notes and light cloves undertones. Body is pretty full for style with great carbonation. This is pretty close to style staple as I’ve tasted.

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a very cloudy orange into my weizen glass. With hard pour it takes three tries to fill up the glass with a nice white head that doesn't hang around too long. The aroma is what I expect from a well built wheat beer, with aromas of bready bananas and spice. The flavor reflects the smell. Banana, clove, but a bit hot from the alcohol on the finish. The mouthfeel is rather light for a beer that is 7.1% alcohol, I wasn't expecting it and wouldn't be able to pick it out if you didn't tell me. This is a very drinkable beer, that I will go back to on occasion. Brau-Weisse is my #1 beer and this certainly reflects a stronger version of that classic. Overall, solid weizen-bock.

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my first Weizenbock but I decided if I was going to try one it had to be from the legendary brewers that are Ayinger. Almost everything they make is gold. But speaking of gold, that's almost the color of this beer. This beer has a beautiful golden yellow color, it is beautiful to look at. I poured my beer into a glass and made sure that beer was nice and cold.

I'm a big fan of Hefeweizen beers and from my understanding a Weizenbock is a variation of that core style, just a more flavorful and powerful (higher alcohol content) variation.

This beer is really enjoyable. What I get from this beer is a creamy smooth mouthfeel that has notes of yeast/bread, ripe bananas, bubblegum, and a hint of citrus. It has very similar notes to their Ur-Weisse beer but this beer is stronger. The alcohol is very well masked though. This beer is VERY filling. It is thick and creamy in your mouth and by the time it reaches the stomach it feels like that yeast just expands out. This is like a meal in a glass (just like their Ur-Weisse). Because of this you will end up sipping this beer, which is great because you just want to enjoy every sip!

There is NO BITTER taste. I'm one of those people who hates bitter (hoppy) beers. I just can't understand why people pretend to like those beers, haha. The human body has evolved to dislike bitter things, hence why we hardly eat anything that is bitter (fact). This beer is on the opposite spectrum of the beer world. This is a malty beer so have no fear people with tastebuds, this actually tastes pleasant! You don't have to pretend to like this, you just will. :)

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Its caramel orange body is nearly opaque. Three fingers of thick, creamy, tightly knit white head is perched on top. As to the style, its retention is fantastic.

Estery and phenolic to start with plenty of clove and banana peel. A pinch of lemon juice from the wheat cuts through its rich, warm, toasted core. A streak of fruity booze rounds everything out. Straight shooting but full and creamy.

Everything comes at once in one perfectly put together package. Bruised, overly ripe banana meshes with sweet, fresh toasted biscuit. Subtle, smooth caramel is omnipresent. Its overall sweetness is sticky and chewy, coming in layers. There's a slight lemony/acidic quality on its edges. It cuts and cleans, making it very easy to take the next sip.

Lusciously creamy and smooth with a chewy sweetness. It sits between light and medium bodied and sports no sign of alcohol. The carbonation level is refreshing but understated. I could drink gallons of this.

What a treat. It doesn't get much better than this. I'm in the process of learning how to appreciate traditional beer styles and this is a reminder of how enjoyable it can be.

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

500 mL bottle from the LCBO; no freshness info apparent. Served slightly chilled.

Pours a clouded golden-amber hue, capped off by one inch of light, fluffy-looking sparkling white head. Retention is excellent, as it takes nearly ten minutes to seep down to a modest-sized cap and foamy collar, slowly depositing a beautiful curtain of lace during the process. This is a gorgeous beer. Lots of overripe, brown banana on the nose, with plenty of wheaty, bready malt sweetness and bubblegum. Notes of citrus and spicy clove are understated, but provide a nice accent to the (much more prominent) banana bread qualities.

Oh man. Make sure you're sitting down before you sip this one. Clean, bready wheat malt, some toasted graininess, and a caramelized sugar sweetness provide the perfect background, while brilliant flavours of overripe, mushy banana and hints of orange peel and lemon zest are allowed to run rampant. It finishes with a yeasty, spicy bite - I get mostly clove, with suggestions of pepper - both fading quickly, while flavours of sweet malt and banana linger on into the aftertaste. Approaching full-bodied, with a creamy, silky-smooth, almost frothy mouthfeel, as well as a bit of a bite from the carbonation. The alcohol content is not noticeable, making this highly drinkable - at least relatively speaking, for the style.

Final Grade: 4.57, an unbelievable A+. Ayinger Weizenbock is, simply put, one of the best examples of this style that I have had to date. It seems to make use of a paler malt bill than most of the other German imports that I have tried - and while I might be convinced into agreeing that the flavour profile of this one is not as complex as beers such as Aventinus or Vitus, it's still every bit as enjoyable as those titans. Superb stuff that should be considered a no-brainer purchase for serious fans of this style - I am kicking myself for only grabbing one bottle.

Ayinger Weizenbock from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying