Belgian Saison - Oaken Barrel Brewing Company

Belgian SaisonBelgian Saison

Oaken Barrel Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  ABV ?

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Sephiroth on 08-31-2005)
Reviews by Sephiroth:
4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

This is a nice package. There is a foil wrapping around the top of this corked and caged 750ml bottle. I broke quite the sweat trying to pop the cork. I poured this into a tulip. Before the second pour, I swirled the yeast as best I could. The beer is a cloudy marigold, if I am remembering my Crayola 128.

This is quite the smell. The only Saisons I've ever had are the Avery 12th Anniversary and Hennepin. This is funky. Scents of lemon and honey are there. The taste is awesome. Upfront, there is a bready quality, followed by lemony citrus hints. The tart, fruity, funky yeast is at the back of the frontside of the taste. It is the middle and it is the end. The mix of sweet and tart flavors is new to me. As I think of all the other Saisons out there for me to try, I just smile.

The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. It is also thicker than the other Saisons I've tried. Granted, those are the two mentioned above. Drinkability is superb. I don't know the ABV, But it must be low, as I'm almost finished with this bottle. If you live around Indy, find this beer. I've got a box ready in the cellar for this one.

Good stuff.

2.6/5  rDev -35.8%

Great looking bottle and label.

Appearance: Very respectable murky peach, topped with a perfect head well woven honeycombs and plenty of effervescence. It doesn't get much better than this for the style, at least to my liking.

Smell: Has the yeasty and bready characteristics I look forward to in a Saison, but nothing to really bring it over the top.

Taste: Starts off pretty good, interesting fullness of body and quite sparkling, and then after a few sips this really off vegetal, acrid flavor comes through and just hangs in there forever. Too bad, it had the looks to be a real home run, but something in the taste just went totally wrong.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Poured from the champagne bottle into my Duvel tulip. 3+ fingers of off-white head crowning the hazy orange body. Slowly fades to leave a laver of foam and lots of lacing.

S: Spicy, lemony, sweet.

T/M: Once again, spicy, lemony, and sweet. Malt is peppery and subtley sweet with tea-like hints. Hops don't have a large presence. Bubbly and firm. Not heavy but has a presence.

D: Refreshing and easy to drink. Don't know the alcohol content, but can't be too high. Very easy-going.

4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

Many, many thanks go to Sephiroth for this beautiful bottle of beer. I received this last June as part of the Great BiF Race 2006. I have been admiring the label ever since and finally decided it was time to pop this one open....and what a challenge that was. I almost broke out my sabre on this one.

Poured a cloudy golden-orange color with a thick off-white head. The head receded at a steady, deliberate pace and left behind considerable lacing.

The aroma wasn't very strong, but it was intriguing. Yeasty...as I expected...with a bit of honey-lemon cough drop and corriander.

The flavor blew me away. A lot better than I thought it would be. Sweet and spicy. Lemony, peppery, yeasty and just enough honey to make it interesting. I wonder if it would have been this good when I first received it.

Active carbonation in this thicker medium bodied beer. Heavier than any Saison I have had before, but it's still extremely enjoyable. I wonder if there is any more of this floating around out there...if there is, I want it.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a dark yellow color with a tall head that falls very slowly and leaves quite a bit of lacing on the glass. The aroma reminds me of a witbier - chamomile, lemon, other citrus, sweetness. Smells very nice. The flavor is much the same with the lemon and the chamomile taking the frontcourt along with some caramel malts to make it an enjoyable beer. The mouthfeel is moderate and the drinkability is good. Nice beer.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

750ML champaign bottle, corked and caged with a very nice artistic label. The beer pours a soft hazy peach color with a nice billowing head that falls at a medium pace, ending with a light head over top. Nose is very soft...not light, but soft. I get notes of honey, chamomile, orange and lemon with an underlying spiceyness that is very distant. Flavor is okay. I get the chamomile, with a slight lemony background. It comes across a bit soapy, but not in a bad way. The finish is mildly hoppy, but not too bitter. Very interesting take on a saison. Feel is moderate with a moderate carbonation. Definately an easy drinking beer. Flavors are good, but not intense, keeping it very quaffable. I'd have it again.

Belgian Saison from Oaken Barrel Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.