Epiphany Tripel - Oaken Barrel Brewing Company

Epiphany TripelEpiphany Tripel

Oaken Barrel Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Tripel |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: GreenWBush on 11-15-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by AmitC:
3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

AmitC, Dec 29, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +12.1%

At the risk of disagreeing with several of the reviewers here, I have to say this is a delightful Triple.
Pours a very pretty crystal clear apricot gold with a white head which laces as it goes down.

Aroma of Belgium yeast, tangerines, apricots, oranges,and candy sugar.

Taste follows the aroma perfectly. Lots of soft citrus with apricots and candy sugar.

Mouthfeel is creamy with some nice tight carbonation and the aftertaste remains clean and fresh.

IntriqKen, Feb 20, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cloudy golden upon pouring into my Viking glass. Nicely carbonated, but lace is thin.

Nose is toasty at first impression, with some candied or dried fruit coming in behind. I don't get any spice in the nose, though, oddly.

Taste is rich and malty. Definitely a big flavor here. I get candied fruit (figs, berries, fruitcake) along with a mildly spiced note. The finish is dry with a balanced fruit-spice melding. The bottle doesn't note the heavy-duy 9.4% ABV at all, but it's evident 2/3 through the bottle!

Overall, this is a solid brew, and certainly a faithful interpretation of the big Belgian tripel style. Enjoyable.

secondtooth, Feb 13, 2013

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a Duvel tulip. Label has a Christmas tree and very little information about the beer. Picked this up on a trip to Indiana a few months back.

Appearance: Pours with 1 finger of white,bubbly foam. This settles to a ring around the glass and an island of foam above the nucleation site. Spotty lacing as I Drink. The beer itself is the color of pale honey and perfectly clear until I pour the last bit of the bottle in. Some sediment in the bottle, mostly poured into the glass.

Smell: Strong aroma of honey and apricots with distinct yeast note and a slightly sour undertone.

Taste: Honey upfront, borderline syrupy candy sugar sweetness. Hints of bubblegum esters. Very, very mild aged hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Higher than average carbonation level, as is appropriate for the style. Body is incredible.

Drinkability: A hit. Nice, flavorful sipper. This bottle probably has 6 months or more on and I imagine it would only continue to develop.

beveritt, Oct 14, 2009
2.1/5  rDev -38.1%

Wow. Oaken Barrel generally produces pretty decent beers, but not this time. Excessive would be how I'd describe this beer. It is way too sweet and the esters are just out of control. I mean, the elements of a tripel are there, but they don't congeal at all into anything that really resembles a tripel. Just a blast of all-over-the-place medicinal esters followed by a nasty grandmother's candy sweetness.

Not a winner.

shbobdb, Feb 11, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a honey amber bold with only a half inch of off-white head that fades quickly to just a skim. Nose is softly fruity with notes of raisins, citrus, and dill with decent zestyness. Enters the mouth like over ripe oranges and syrupy alchol. Consistant spice feel throughout the palate is present. Alchol is overall upfront and warming as a winter brew should be. Realatively thick on the mouthfeel. A little rough around the edges, but not bad. Nicely drinkable.

SPLITGRIN, Jun 23, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +10%

yellow in color with a good amount of haze and cloudiness built into it. Lots of carbonation streaking up toward the top of the glass, converging into a large, easily two inch high head of white foam that gracefully sat on top of the glass dropping tons of sticky side glass lace in its wake.

ight notes of grass, peaches, and maybe some light grain all coming together quite nicely to provide a well balanced attack on the senses. The flavor was just as solid here. Rich notes of yeast started to peak through as it warmed, hinting at some depth. Letting it come close to room temp is where you really start to find that depth. Some light grain like malts, hints of peaches and bananas and just an all out really nice profile

mikesgroove, Nov 22, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -9.1%

Thanks to patyoda and BA Fantasy Football for the beer.
Pours a cloudy straw yellow color with lot's of stuff floating around. Decent head that recedes quickly to a whispy rim of lace.
Smells of banana and sugar. Very sweet smelling.
Taste is very sweet for the style. It reminds me more of a wheat beer than a triple, but I am pretty inexperienced with both styles. Banana and other sweet fruits also in the flavor. Mild alcohol taste in the finish.
Mouthfeel is pretty uninteresting compared to other Belgian beers I've had. Not bad....just uninteresting.
It's a fairly drinkable beer but I don't think I'd have more than one. There's other triples I'd have before this one, but I wouldn't turn this one down.

wcudwight, Jan 26, 2007
1.53/5  rDev -54.9%

Blech. Poured into a chalice with a very thin, almost apple juice looking body, no head whatsoever. Nose was of candy sugar, strange smelling yeast, not a good yeasty flavor, a bad yeasty flavor, smelled too much like a witbier, so, strike one for me. It also smelled like when you find salad greens in your fridge that are about a week too old. Strike three. The taste itself... blech. Sour, soapy, stale bread tasting. Not something I was able to finish. I'm glad it came in a sampler, because if I would have paid full price for this beer, I would have to seriously call shenanigans.

HoboAGoGo, Mar 15, 2006

Thanks to hopdog for this...
Appears a light gold with a small white cap that fades out quickly. Small streams of bubbles rise quickly to the top. Tiny traces of lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of peaches, ncetarines, apricots, candy sugar, and yeast.
Taste is of the same aromas with a mild amount of spice.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with seemingly near perfect carbonation that plays along the palate.

weeare138, Apr 14, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +11.5%

I am suprised at the reviews so far for this beer. I had this last night at a local beer tasting down in Madison, IN along with several other christmas beers made in Indiana. I had this beer first and I liked it the best by far.

It poured a hazy gold with very thin head that didn't hang around long enough to drink. There was very little carbonation as well. The beer was quite sweet with little to no spice flavoring. I was suprised as this is a Christmas beer. I could not taste the alcohol either which suprises me reading these other posts. Maybe we got a good batch? This is one of the better beers I have had in quite some time. There was a slight hint of tuna juice in the beer which oddly didn't turn me off. It took me a minute to really pin it down but that is the best way to describe it. This was almost like drinking apple juice with corn syrup added. I really loved the beer and can see myself drinking a lot of this. Everybody at the beer tasting liked this beer the best out of the 7 or 8 that we had. I will be looking out for it when I head up to Indianapolis this weekend.

dren, Dec 21, 2005

It pours a murky, dark tinged gold with no head at all. The smell is pretty funky. It has something barnyard like going on. The taste is nothing special. It isn't very sweat, doesn't have great yeastiness or anything notable. It tastes somewhat generic. It drinks pretty average to. It's medium body and goes down well enough. I'm not a fan of this one but props to Oaken Barrel for attempting the style. Next step, improving upon it.

aasher, Dec 02, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I love when breweries attempt styles outside of the conventionally accepted brew-pub line-up that leans towards boring ambers and pales. I am always delighted when a brewery throws us 'saisons', Belgian quads and tripels, and generally unexpected offerings, as Oaken Barrel has been doing lately. Unfortunately, these styles can be difficult to accurately reproduce. I'd rather have a brewery that tries its hand at tough styles and fails occasionally than one that makes only simple styles and never really tries to propel its reach further than its grasp.

This beer comes out of the bottle a surprisingly polished copper, with spare lace clouds sticking to the very top of the glass. This particular offering was stripped of any bottle conditioning, which was sort of disappointing.

The nose is full of expected candi sugar, but is also sort of dusty and off in its yeast profile. There's something lurking in there like vomit. Fresh baked bread pops up at warmer temperature. Gumballs. A few hits of spiciness. Cloves.

The taste is brash, spicy alcohol disguised with a syrupyness that is like a combination of corn syrup and nutrisweet. The malt base reminds me a little bit of Miller High Life.

Unblended, ragged, and a cloying sweetness combine to make this particularly unappealing and undrinkable, but not quite a drain-pour.

I didn't expect this to stand up to the greats of this particular style, but this was not pleasant. I want to give the brewery props for the attempt but I just can't praise this beer.

GreenWBush, Nov 15, 2005
3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

A local beer from a brewery I don't get to try to often.

A- Pours slightly murky orange color. Very little head to it that leaves very quickly.

S- Very sweet malty smell. Notes of cloves and floral scents. Not as strong as most tripels.

T- Very sweet taste. Malts up front with orange and grapefruit tastes following. Not nearly as crisp tasting as I would expect.

M- Light body with no carbonation, leads me to believe maybe an older bottle. Feels flat in the mouth.

D- Sweet drink, just not crisp like a tripel's I've had. Not my most favorite drink. Doubt I'll pick another one up.

HosP, Sep 02, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

Served in a St. Bernardus chalice.

Almost to the end of the haul resulting from the post-DLD death march. This ear pours a clear golden straw topped by a very minor white bubbly head. The nose comprises spice (ah, the vagueness...), cloves, banana, peppercorns, and champagne. The taste holds notes of these elements, along with a vague sense of oaky earthiness (or is it earthy oakiness?) floating bluntly around in the background. The body is a heavy light, with a moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, not a bad tripel. I'm kinda curious to see what would result if more of that oak were added...

TMoney2591, Jun 24, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +10%

Had to try this, a local.

Very cloudy golden coloring, hazy, very yellow around the edges as light shines through. Soapy bubbles form the white head.

Wheaty, malty aroma, a little orchard fruity--but lacking a large presence.

Good flavor. Sweet, creamy malt hits right up front. A little orange/grapefruit, with a mild floral hop bitterness on the finish.

Balanced carbonation levels, creamy and full feel, textured well. Not cloying even with the sweetness.

I don't love the way it looks--but this is a very balanced, sweet abbey style beer. Oh wait--it's a tripel? Very muted for the style. But still pretty drinkable.

cnally, Dec 14, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This pours slightly hazy slightly light greenish amber. There was no head to speak of.

Smells sweet, floral.

Taste is sweet also, kind of a twangy spicey sweet, but that is the alcohol coming through. I pick up almost no hops at all.

Mouthfeel isn't bad, a bit creamy.

Finish is slippery, sweet and has an alcohol edge.

This is a pretty good beer. I would recommend it if you see it available and are looking for a Belgian triple style made in America.

karengarys, Sep 03, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +15%

Bought at Kahn's in Indianapolis.

Poured a very nice golden color with good lacing, but no real head. Nice thick malty scent, very fruity, with banana being dominant. Nice flavor, very thick and malty, good fruity tones with a nice peppery spice aftertaste, and a very noticable alcohol kick. A little rough going down, but over all very nice.

JamesS, Nov 28, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

MSandahl23, Dec 22, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -4.7%

Picked up a 6er at Bourbon and Canal while working down in Terre Haute! Have heard good things about this brewery and was stoked to find some!

Appearance- Pours a hazy, almost milky, golden brew with a loose, effervescent head. Loads of champagne-esque bubbles trail up to feed a fleeting head. If I were to blindly guess, I would think this was a Witbier!

Aroma- Fruity banana esters dominate nose with hints of soft belgian spice and nutty yeast. Some candy-like and alcoholic aromatics indicate some solid strength to this brew. A touch of biscuity maltiness.

Flavor- Starts a bit boozy with some intense fruitiness and phenolic notes. Sharp CO2 fades into the middle and opens up a soft clove/pepper spice with some honey sweetness. Finishes with more biscuity malt and herbal, candied hops.

Mouthfeel- Feels a bit fuller bodied than I would want in a Tripel- typically they are dangerously drinkable and this feels a bit bigger. A touch of astringency in the finish leaves the aftertaste a bit less clean. Malt on the verge of being chewy.

Overall- Not bad, but not the first Tripel that I would grab out of the fridge. I wonder if some of the sharpness of the flavors would mellow with a bit of time? I guess we will just have to find out, as I still have 4 to tuck away!

dudemuskie, Jan 25, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +1.2%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Thanks go to "beveritt" for sending this bottle my way.

A- Pours a hazy golden. 1/2 finger of fizzy white head, which disappears almost instantly upon pouring. Essentially zero retention. Fair amount of sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

S- Fruity sweetness. Hints of banana. Slightly spicy Belgian yeast twang.

T-Chalk full of fruity sweetness, and bit of spicy punch with a moderate "Belgian yeast" characteristic. Fair amount of alcohol booziness.

M- Somewhat crisp with moderate/slightly low carbonation. Medium/thin feel. Alcohol is mildly warming.

D- ~Average. Reasonably enjoyable and easy drinking - flavor, feel and appearance are all OK, but not tremendously compelling.

Future outlook: Not a bad beer at all...but another case where there are other alternatives in the Tripel style that are clearly better, easily accessible, and reasonably priced....can't see buying this one.

DoctorDog, Aug 16, 2009
1.83/5  rDev -46%

Thanks to bitterpachyderm (!) for sending me this brew. My delight at trying new brews is not always reflected in the review, however.

Pours a bright golden color with a huge sudsy white foam head. Interesting look for a tripel.

Took a whiff ... egads! That's a f***ton of grainy sugar and a whiff of defeated yeast.

The taste is, as the smell promised, way, way, way, way too out of control sweetness. Doesn't have the complexity or structure of a tripel, at all. . I know that the vast majority of tripels, and belgians in general for that matter, are malt forward brews, but this is sweeter than almost any liquid (of any type) I can remember. Almost no complexity, just malt sugar, candi sugar, sweet fruit sugar, and that weird aura of yeast that has given up the ghost. Despite the big head, not too much carbonation. Drainpoured about 1/3rd of it.

I imagine this would be a hummingbird's dream come true.

Overlord, Aug 04, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +13.6%

A- It's a murky yellow and as you look into the glass it looks like it a glitter inside but that is just the yeast. It has a nice head on it that lingers little to no lace.

S- I smell a lot of malt with just a bit of hops and spice.

T- This is a real sweet beer. There is a ton of malt in this one. I also got a little kick from alcohol. The there just a hint of spices on the end. It's like liquid candy

M- It's a creaming feel and it has a lot of carbonation maybe a little too much.

D- Overall it's a good beer I wouldn't want to drink a case of it at one time. But it's a nice one to drink every once in a while.

ratrod53, Dec 29, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

12 oz bottle. Pours a lightly goldened straw color with just a few wisps of head over top. Clarity is excellent on this one, but there is a distinctive lack of carbonation bubbling up in this beer. I always like a healthy bubble in a trippel. It looks really lifeless with the lack of head and the lack of bubble. Nose is nice. Nice notes of candied sweetness, light banana and spices, a moderate pilsner maltyness. It is nice and strong without being forcefull and too in my face. Flavor is good, but pushing a little towards too sweet for my taste. The pilsner maltyness is most prevalent, with a hint of golden raisin, banana and moderate Belgian yeasty spiceyness. There is a light alcohol flavor in there, but it doesn't detract at all. There is a lot of candied sweetness in there as well, which gives it the strong sweetness in the flavor. Feel is a solid moderate with a light carbonation. I'm just not impressed with the carbonation level on this one. Its just not lively at all. Overall, this is a tasty beer, if not a touch too sweet. My only major iswue is the carbonation level. I don't think I would try too hard to get this one again, but wouldn't turn down a free one.

kmpitz2, May 06, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -10%

Think this was an extra from Scott - thanks man! Served in my Westvleteren chalice.

A - Pours with a finger of off-white foam that settles to a ring and some light haze. A few spots of lace remain here and there. Pretty good show for this type of vessel. Murky peach juice body with some nice reddish glow to it.

S - Honey, fruity esters, candi sugar, some milled grain, faint Belgian-style yeast. Very sweet - missing the spice that provides balance in a good tripel.

T - Taste is largely yeast and wheat, with peripheral honey and fruit sweetness - particularly banana and apricot. It's actually a little milder than I expected from the smell. Alcohol is reasonably well hidden.

M - Low carbonation - probably could use a bit more spritz for the style. A little thin and watery too, but otherwise smooth. A touch of warmth at the back end and a fairly clean aftertaste.

D - Not my favorite style, and one of the poorer examples of it to boot. Amusingly I think this has actually mellowed out since Overlord's infamous review - it's not a drain pour in my book, but it's still mediocre.

MasterSki, Feb 20, 2010