Epiphany Tripel - Oaken Barrel Brewing Company

Epiphany TripelEpiphany Tripel

Oaken Barrel Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Tripel |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: GreenWBush on 11-15-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

Thanks to hopdog for this...
Appears a light gold with a small white cap that fades out quickly. Small streams of bubbles rise quickly to the top. Tiny traces of lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of peaches, ncetarines, apricots, candy sugar, and yeast.
Taste is of the same aromas with a mild amount of spice.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with seemingly near perfect carbonation that plays along the palate.

weeare138, Apr 14, 2006
1.53/5  rDev -54.9%

Blech. Poured into a chalice with a very thin, almost apple juice looking body, no head whatsoever. Nose was of candy sugar, strange smelling yeast, not a good yeasty flavor, a bad yeasty flavor, smelled too much like a witbier, so, strike one for me. It also smelled like when you find salad greens in your fridge that are about a week too old. Strike three. The taste itself... blech. Sour, soapy, stale bread tasting. Not something I was able to finish. I'm glad it came in a sampler, because if I would have paid full price for this beer, I would have to seriously call shenanigans.

HoboAGoGo, Mar 15, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +11.5%

I am suprised at the reviews so far for this beer. I had this last night at a local beer tasting down in Madison, IN along with several other christmas beers made in Indiana. I had this beer first and I liked it the best by far.

It poured a hazy gold with very thin head that didn't hang around long enough to drink. There was very little carbonation as well. The beer was quite sweet with little to no spice flavoring. I was suprised as this is a Christmas beer. I could not taste the alcohol either which suprises me reading these other posts. Maybe we got a good batch? This is one of the better beers I have had in quite some time. There was a slight hint of tuna juice in the beer which oddly didn't turn me off. It took me a minute to really pin it down but that is the best way to describe it. This was almost like drinking apple juice with corn syrup added. I really loved the beer and can see myself drinking a lot of this. Everybody at the beer tasting liked this beer the best out of the 7 or 8 that we had. I will be looking out for it when I head up to Indianapolis this weekend.

dren, Dec 21, 2005
3.83/5  rDev +13%

Every time I see this on the chalkboard at the brewpub, they are out of it. So I was excited to see it in bottles at the local store. The bottle conditioning yeast is barely visible as I pour, the body is clear and straw colored. Medium, quickly retreating foam caps it. Smells malty, slightly fruity.

Lots of flavors in the taste, and some alcohol. Mouthfeel is just off, I can't quite describe it. "Thin" comes close, but is not correct. This is a drinkable beer, though.

Sephiroth, Dec 19, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I love when breweries attempt styles outside of the conventionally accepted brew-pub line-up that leans towards boring ambers and pales. I am always delighted when a brewery throws us 'saisons', Belgian quads and tripels, and generally unexpected offerings, as Oaken Barrel has been doing lately. Unfortunately, these styles can be difficult to accurately reproduce. I'd rather have a brewery that tries its hand at tough styles and fails occasionally than one that makes only simple styles and never really tries to propel its reach further than its grasp.

This beer comes out of the bottle a surprisingly polished copper, with spare lace clouds sticking to the very top of the glass. This particular offering was stripped of any bottle conditioning, which was sort of disappointing.

The nose is full of expected candi sugar, but is also sort of dusty and off in its yeast profile. There's something lurking in there like vomit. Fresh baked bread pops up at warmer temperature. Gumballs. A few hits of spiciness. Cloves.

The taste is brash, spicy alcohol disguised with a syrupyness that is like a combination of corn syrup and nutrisweet. The malt base reminds me a little bit of Miller High Life.

Unblended, ragged, and a cloying sweetness combine to make this particularly unappealing and undrinkable, but not quite a drain-pour.

I didn't expect this to stand up to the greats of this particular style, but this was not pleasant. I want to give the brewery props for the attempt but I just can't praise this beer.

GreenWBush, Nov 15, 2005