Razz-Wheat - Oaken Barrel Brewing Company

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-13-2002

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 78 | Reviews: 39
3.45/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

With the flavor of ripe raspberries at the forefront, Razz-Wheat delivers a full fruity, berrycentric taste with a background support of clean and simplified wheat ale.

Razz pours with a hazy mauve coloring, maybe ruby in hue- giving an appealing glow beyond the protien haze of wheat. A thinly covering of white foam builds upon the beer, but quickly breaks apart leaving behind scattered islands of lace. All this makes this beer a very attractive color, but dull on foam character.

Raspberries lead the way on both flavor and aroma with the taste of fresh raspberry pulp, skin, and seed. Where the richness of the juices give a complementary sweetness to the bready wheat malt, the fruit acidity and tannic properties act well in balance expecially with the low-lying hop character that largely goes unnoticed. Any wheaty complexity beyond the dextrin richeness and hearty bread taste is hard to assess as the beer is focuesd on the raspberry taste.

Lightly textured throughout, Razz starts with a dry and sugary feel that lessens, but never really reaches the semi malty-dry mouthfeel that make wheat beers so characterful and refreshing. Instead, there's an empty malt underpinning and a pronounced tacky feel that seems just as familiar as wine coolers as it does beer. Lightly tannic, dry, and warm in finish, a linger of raspberry and sugar aftertaste persist.

I think that the taste of raspberry is well presented, but the lack of "beer" causes this raspberry wheat ale to taste somewhat soda popish and feel sugary. I like the beer, but because of much different reasons why I like most other beers.

2.5/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

hazy amber with a decent head. Smell was over the top fruity. The taste was as well. For some reason I thought this would have been a bit more mellow. Slight hoppiness in the finish, but all I really could get out of this was the fruitiness and the artificial flavor

3.61/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a funky purple-pink with plenty of sediment. Lightly carbonated, and no lace. Not a great beginning, but keeping an open mind (and open taste buds)...

Nose is raspberry, and a little grains. The fruit is subtle, though, and better than most similar beers I've had.

Flavor is mild, not overbearing or artificial tasting. Tart raspberries up front, with a little yeasty bread somewhere in the mix. Light body, and quite nice on a hot day. Not a bad fruit beer at all.

3.18/5  rDev -0.6%

Blood orange color when poured. Floaties in the beer. Smells all sorts of fruity. Very raspberry on the tongue. Very sweet, maybe a little grapefruit in there too. Could be nice during the summer, but not sure this is something I will want all the time. Really doesn't strike me as a beer. More of a lambik, or a mixed drink minus the alcohol. Interesting none the less.

3.85/5  rDev +20.3%

Enjoyed with gwuilliums as part of side-by-side comparison with Purple Haze on the night we built a ramp for Prince.

A: Grapefruit or watermelon color. Decent head formation, but not as much retention as I would have expected.

S: Light raspberry and slightly bready.

T: Very tasty raspberry. No hops. Slightly bready malt.

M: Medium-light body (Much more than Purple Haze). Good carbonation.

O: I am not sure what the other reviewers are expecting when they pick up a beer with raspberries on the label, but I thought this was very well done.

3.33/5  rDev +4.1%

It's Saturday late afternoon and still cleaning out the fridge of older beer....stumbled upon a Oaken Barrel Brewering Co Razz-Wheat. The color was a cloundy rose color. The bottle was over primed and a huge champaign foam and carbonation. There were floaties!!!! The aromoa was very good....definitely raspberry! The taste was out a fruity spritzer....not much in the sense of beer. The carbonation made it bubbly on the mouth...would tire quickly of this beer due to sweetness.

2.75/5  rDev -14.1%

It was great-until I tasted it! I wouldn't go so far as to say it looks like a V8, but it has what looks like strawberry seeds in it. It smells awesome, but the taste, while not terrible, is not beer like. It's more like wine or cider or something. If they were on Iron Chef they definitely wouldn't be penalized for not having the taste of the secret ingredient, the raspberry flavor is very bold and all encompassing. I would not buy a six pack, but it's not the worst beer I've ever had. Don't get much malt or hop flavor. These guys are close to where I live so I would go try their stuff.

3.62/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer is an alright beer if you like defying Man Law. This beer has a lot of berry smell and taste. On the pour it came out of the tap in a pinkish red beer with a slight white head which went away very quickly.

I would drink this beer again on a hot summer's day low in humindity.

2.94/5  rDev -8.1%

I tried this late one evening and thought it was a decent beer. Very light with a mild taste of berries. Poured into class with a slight purple color. You could really only smell berries. Decent taste, nothing amazing but ok. I was left with a very small about of "powder" at the bottom of my glass (weird?)

While I dont think I would really recommend this beer.. I might if someone really wanted a berry flavored beer. Im sure there is much better than this out there though.

Average aroma of raspberry fruit. Hint of wheat malt was evident. Hazy appearance with tone of pink grapefruit. Raspberry flavor dominated the wheat background. Light mouthfeel with expected drinkability. Not a big fan of fruit beers, but this one wasn't too bad; about average. This would be good on a hot June/July picnic or for your girlfriend.

2.9/5  rDev -9.4%

A - Poured the color of grapefruit (pink) with a small white head that quickly died down.

S - Berry and more berry

T - Strong raspberry flavor, but very little beer flavor. Some sips almost tasted like watered down kool-aid. It reminds me of AB WildBlue

M - Thin and watery, nothing particularly special

I'm conflicted on many of my ratings for this beer because on the one hand, many of the attributes of this beer are on purpose (like the pink color) but at the same time, it's not a beer I would pick up again. It falls solidly in the category of WildBlue and Leine Berry Weiss

3.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

A- Very nice looking razz color on this wheat beer. Bubbly head with little retention.

S- This one smells great. Very refreshing rasberries that do not dominate the nose but yield to other scents of wheat and alcohol. Smell is the best part of this brew.

T- Expected more flavor, but very smooth. Razz up front; slight bitterness in the back.

M- Smooth, not carbonated enough IMO, a crispy carbonation would serve this one wonders.

D- Could drink a few as it was not overly fruity like a leinie berry weiss which should be considerd a wine cooler.

2.83/5  rDev -11.6%

Hazy, pink bodied beer with a sudsy white head that fades quickly into a thin skim. Smells like faint bready yeast and raspberries. Tastes like a kind of mildly bitter raspberry soda mixed with a light ale. Mouthfeel is light and highly carbonated. Easy enough to drink and inoffensive but not my style, Oaken Barrel makes much better beer.

1.51/5  rDev -52.8%

Bought a sixer of this expecting something with a little more consistency maybe something like a Lambic. No such luck this beer is watery and awful like someone poured Raspberry Kool-aid into my Coors lite. I'd attempted to drink 3 of these brews from the sixer I bought.

A: Doesn't look that bad.
S: Smell is a little worse that the look, but it isn't that bad.
T: Awful
M: Watery
D: Downright pitiful.

4.28/5  rDev +33.8%

Poured into a Weizen glass. I first had this beer on tap at the Oaken Barrel. It pours a dark pink/purple color. The beer smells like fresh raspberries.

With an aggressive pour a decent head of about two fingers develops. There is not alot of carbonation. The mouthfeel is watery and this beer retains a fair amount of bitterness which distinguishes it from other raspberry beers that I have tried.

All in all this is my favorite beer of this genre.

3.38/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was poured into a ½ liter weizen glass at 45° with a slight pinkish and not quite two finger head. Neither the bottle nor label contained any date information. The beer appeared to have a raspberry color during the pour but looked to be slightly amber in the glass. There was no lacing or residual carbonation.

There were aromas of raspberries, wheat, and yeast. The fruit bouquet was fresh and invited the first taste.

The taste was slightly sharp or tart without noticeable carbonation. The raspberry taste was not as lively as I remember from the tap.

There was a prickly sensation on the tongue. The beer was light and quickly left.

This was a quick and refreshing beer with a mixture of dryness and sweetness that left me slightly perplexed but able to probably uncap another.

3.9/5  rDev +21.9%

Appearance - pours a hzed magenta, a pale pink head of maybe a finger is short-lived. Not much to the head, though it's still a cool-looking beer. A good layer of sediment clouds up the brew appreciably on the bottom pour.

Aroma - nice raspberry smell, not overly sweet or fruity, just a pleasant and persistent showing.

Taste - light wheat complemented by light raspberry. Basic, flavorful, tasty. Not much else regarding swallow or finish, a fine flavor though.

Mouthfeel - bubbly, a light smooth element; on target.

Drinkability - very nice. A great sessionable for a fruit-type beer.

4.2/5  rDev +31.3%

Poured a very lavender/light purple color, with a nice head and decent lacing. From the pour I wondered if they had overused some raspberry syrup/flavoring. The scent backed that up some, as it was dominated by the raspberry flavoring, and there really wasn't much in the way of a nice crisp wheat to mesh with it. I'd try it again if I'm in the mood for a lambic style beer, but not for a fruited wheat.

This has gotten better, and I've really enjoyed the last few that I've had. Much more balanced and even, more "natural" raz flavors. Much better wheat attributes, too, with a nice straw feeling.

3.35/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a hazy plum colored body with a pink head. Strange looking. Some patchy lace is left on the glass. Aroma of raspberries, not much else. Light bodied with aggressive carbonation. Taste is subtle. The tart raspberries are subdued but certainly present. Some wheat sourness adds a hint of lemon. A decent summer fruity quencher here.

3.78/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured a cloudy deep pink with a white frothy head. Aroma is all raspberry. They call this a belgian fruit beer. Whatever the base is it really lets the raspberry shine through, although it is not cloyingly sweet or tart, but JUST right. I'm not a big fan of fruit beers but was impressed by this one. Hop bitterness (no hop flavor) balances well. Bubbles from the carbonation dance on my tongue. Raspberry carries this beer, but it is not over-the-top. One of the best raspberry beers I have had!

4.26/5  rDev +33.1%

Picked a six-pack of these up for my fiance. Tried one myself, and have to say I'm impressed. Appearance is a murky pink, with very little head that quickly dissipates. Still leaves a little lacing, however. Smell is slightly odd...raspberries, a little yeasty scent, and some hops on the back end. Just judging by the smell, I'm a little worried. Kool-aid and generic beer doesn't sound appetizing, and that's what I'm smelling. I close my eyes and give it a taste, promising myself to give it an honest try. Imagine my surprise when it's lovely. The hops vanish, leaving a fresh raspberry taste quickly followed by that lovely yeasty flavor I'm learning comes with a good (or decent) wheat ale. Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing, like a Sprite or soda water, absolutely fabulous. Halfway through dinner, the beer is gone, and I'm craving another immediately. Drinkability is wonderful, and since I'm barely feeling a buzz, I'm calling this one a session beer. I'd certainly recommend this one to anyone who enjoys the style.

3.17/5  rDev -0.9%

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a standard pint glass. The label contains no information about brewing date, but it does mention an original gravity of 12 degrees P. Three, big, plump raspberries are prominently featured on the center of the label.

Appearance: I was surprised, but this poured with absolutely no head whatsoever, looks like a cider. Not sure of how it is made, but I would think their would be enough protein to at least sustain a minimal head. I have had this several times before in the bottle, but never bothered to pour it. The beer itself is a slightly hazy, pink hued tan.

Smell: Wheat tang is on the forefront of the nose. Just a hint of raspberry.

Taste: An initial flavor of raspberries, nice, not too sweet and not too tangy. Followed by the slight sour tang of wheat brews. Little to no bitterness in the finish. Anice carbonation bite helps deliver and round it all out.

Mouthfeel: Average to higher than average carbonation level. Average mouthfeel.

Drinkability: The raspberry flavor gives a nice boost to the wheat tang. Not an everyday drinker for me, but this style can be nice when it is warm outside.

3.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Tropical coral red with orange-pink edges. I don't believe I've ever seen a beer quite this color before. It certainly is different and... I think I like it. The two finger cap is palest pink and is too stiff and brittle to result in much lace when it falls (which is does rather quickly). Too bad the head is so pathetic because this is a nice looking beer that fits the style and the name very well.

The nose fits the style too. It's pleasantly raspberry-like with a soft, floral quality that I like. There isn't much wheatiness, but that's okay with me. The biggest positive is a natural berry smell and the biggest negative is... well, there really isn't one.

A raspberry wheat has a bit of a tough row to hoe because it's difficult, in my opinion, to dress up an American pale wheat ale and have it taste like anything good. There are so many variables to get right (quantity of berries, hop level, bitter vs. sour vs. sweet) that the failures are far more common than the successes. While Razz-Wheat isn't a failure, it isn't exactly a success either.

I'm having trouble putting my finger on why I'm not overly thrilled with this ale. Let's see... the base beer is nothing to write home about, there isn't enough raspberry flavor and it's much more bitter than it is sweet. In addition, the mouthfeel is too light and there are too many finely fizzy bubbles. Having said all that, I still don't hate it and I'm having no trouble getting through the bottle.

I was impressed with the first two Oaken Barrel Brewing Company beers that crossed my palate. I had relatively high hopes for this one too, but again, this is a difficult sub-style to pull off. I'd like to be able to say that it's a good chick beer, but the bitterness will probably be too much for the (non-BA) ladies. This brewery uses some good looking labels. It's too bad that, in this case at least, that's the best thing about the beer.

3.6/5  rDev +12.5%

A light maroon, garpe skin color is noticed immediately during the pour. A nice, bright white head, two fongers in width, was enjoyed in my weizen glass. Mediocre bubbling seen. Plenty of medium rasberry aroma. But very medium in potency. The taste is equally even. Rasrberries in the front, middle, and back of the tongue. The hops and malt seem to be there only to make sure the rasberry flavor isn't too sweet. Very easy to drink beer. This would be great with a light breakfast or salad.

2.7/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle.

Very cloudy pale orangey-peach color. Fizzy white head.
The aroma is faint artificial raspberry and some wheat also. The taste is pale malts and of course some raspberry flavoring..the flavor goes ok with the wheat aspect, but is a bit cloying. Mouthfeel is pretty dry and fairly thin, with the flavor being gone pretty much as soon as you swallow. Certainly not something I'd want too much of, but it's ok to break up the monotony if you've tried all the other wheats out there (or if you're crazy about raspberries.)

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »