König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen) - Kaltenberg International / König Ludwig International GmbH & Co.KG

König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen)König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen)

Kaltenberg International / König Ludwig International GmbH & Co.KG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-07-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen) Alström Bros
Ratings: 772 | Reviews: 409
1.62/5  rDev -57.9%

look pale golden color light cloudy body. nice foamy head thick and rich stuck to the glass

smell was of yeast and spice not the citrus I expected

taste wheat and banana overwhelming banana with a slight hint of clove but mostly banana. intrusive and just to much. it was unpleasant and ruined the beer for me

aftertaste was more bananas just to much for me

1.98/5  rDev -48.6%

A - Decent white fluffy head that faded quickly. Good lace as well. The beer is not as cloudy as I expeced.

S - Very light smell of banana bread and slight clove. The weak smells sum up to fresh apples.

T - The taste is watered down and kind of tastes moldy. This is very discouraging. I hope I just have an old bottle. The apple tastes comes in as well on the back end.

M - The carbonation was not high enough which resulted in a heavy body with no life.

D - I want to try this beer again and maybe I will get better results. I ove hefe-weizens and this was a bad attempt. Again maybe I have an old bottle. Not very tasty at all.

2.33/5  rDev -39.5%

Cloudy straw colored brew with a white head that fades to a thin almost nonexistent layer fast. No lace to speak of. Bready yeast smell with a citrus bite on the nose. Banana flavors hit me on my first sip. Very dry right up to the end. There seems to be something missing from this beer, it just doesn't have much character to speak of. Thin and dry on the mouthfeel. I was actually thirsty after drinking this beer. I can't recommend it.

2.56/5  rDev -33.5%

The beer looks fine for a cloudy beer. The head was surprising. It formed very quickly, and when I set the glass down, some actually came out over the brim. It lasted a little while and started to shrink, clinging only slightly to the glass.

I have drank many different kinds of beers, but I'm not educated enough on the subject to label the certain things I like and don't like. I know that this beer's scent is basically the kind I don't like. The cloudy beers with the yeast in the bottle have a scent and flavour I just don't enjoy (with the odd exception).

I had the flavour of this one nearly written off as soon as I smelled it. I gave it the full go, though, and it's got things in it I like. The banana people talk about isn't overpowering at all. It's just noticeable. That unique hint saves this one just a bit for me. The aftertaste does linger a little long, though.

I find this beer a bit over-carbonated for my liking. While I don't like most of the taste & feel, there is something a little smoother to it. Perhaps it's a mental thing, my mind thinking there's a creamy banana inside.

As for drinkability... for me, I won't drink it again. It might be worth a try if you want something off the beaten path, but for my tastebuds, it's not something I enjoy.

2.68/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nothing special. A bit boring

2.69/5  rDev -30.1%

Cloudy dark straw hue, covered by a thick well retained head that leaves lace. Grainy wheat upfront in aroma, followed by snap of tartness, a hint of clove phenol and a slightly metallic tinge. The flavor is dominated by wheat tartness supported by bready malt. Yeast esters fall short of providing contrast to the grainy flavors, and only light banana is discernible. Mid palate, the brew becomes dry, leaving an odd void in flavor. Paltry hop bitterness offsets the very light malt sweetness. Lightly bodied for style, with a somewhat chalky mouthfeel. Finishes watery, with light lemony tartness briefly lingering. An uninspired, somewhat bland hefeweizen akin to an American version.

2.72/5  rDev -29.4%

50cL brown bottle with "Königlich Bayerisches Bier" on the front. Is it really? Bearing in mind it's a cold Weizen on a thirsty night...

Appearance: Average cloudy pale orangey-yellow colour, your run-of-the-mill Bavarian Hefeweizen. Head retention is disappointing, and head is snow-white. Even though I poured it imprecisely, without stirring up the Hefe on the bottom of the glass, it didn't leave a brown stain on the head like most Weizens do. Although the bottle looks German, there is something non-genuine about this beer. Still, it's cloudy, it's approximately the right colour, but its authenticity so far is poor.

Smell: Thin, but fairly true to the style. Banana, phenol, wheat malt. Not bursting with flavour, but very German - reserved, polite and unassuming. Pretty average, not a great Weißbier.

Taste is also less than outstanding. Slightly sour, marginally more complex than the smell makes it appear, but not entirely true to the style. Banana is less evident, phenol still around with some tartness in the mouth. Dry, refreshing, but rather bloating - this fills your stomach up in a watery way which is not what you want on a spring eve in a warm house. You don't want that at all, really.

Mouthfeel is way too thin - lacking a lot. There is still something to chew on there though, probably due to the fact it's a cloudy beer - the bottle conditioning adds something. Drinkability - not impressed because of the belly-filling-up-with-water effect. It's refreshing but I hate that bloating sensation.

Overall - not a bad beer, but I am hard on my Hefeweizens because I enjoy them so much. Tough love. If this were rated in terms of any beer style, it would be marginally above average.

2.77/5  rDev -28.1%

Very pale yellow color, I'm tlaking very pale. Head pours large and creamy, fading to a rocky surface. Smells lightly of yeast, citrus, and very light corriander. Taste is malty and very yeasty, but lacks a lot of flavors that a good Hefe should have, in the quantity a hefe should have. Not a bad beer, but not a very good one either. Kind of annoying as the beer goes down in the glass.

2.78/5  rDev -27.8%

Well, I was a little disappointed in this one.

A: Looks ok, like a Hefe should, though it was yellow, not golden. appropriately cloudy.

S: minimal, very light malty smell

T: I should hedge here. At first, I was not really impressd. Very strong, sweet wheat that almost overpowers you and this lingering bitter background. But alas, in comes the Hefe savior - the lemon -and it really helps. A lemon balances the sugar and alcohol making it a fairly enjoyable beer.

M: Whoa, way too carbonated, reminiscent of the swill called Bud Light I used to drink as one of the ignorant unwashed. (i.e. Before BA.com!)

D: Eh...too fizzy for me.

I much prefer other Hefes to this one. Not recommended.

2.78/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy gold colored brew with a small bright white head. Minimal lacing. Smell was predominantly bready yeast. Taste was wheat grain with banana and lemon notes. Unfortunately, it also had a metallic topnote/aftertaste that I found quite unpleasant. I thought it might be a bad bottle, but others have also described this metallic taste and the "Best by" date on this bottle was Jan 05... still 8 months away. Decent mouthfeel, Didn't really want another after finishing it! Hefe Weizen is one of my favorite styles, but there are many others I'd rather have than this.

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

For an authentic Bavarian Hefeweizen, I was not overly impressed with this one's flavor or drinkability. I usually like my Hefe's light, crisp and easy to drink. This one had alot of flavor and was rather hard to get down. Perhaps I'm still too "green" on sampling this style as most I've had have been American brewer Hefeweizen's (Sam Adams, Shiner etc.) and I need to explore more German ones. For now I'm giving this a lower grading but perhaps in a year or 2 down the road I may return and like this one better.

2.81/5  rDev -27%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Who am I kidding just not a fan of Here's, but this is probably a good hefeweizen.

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

A: Pours a yellow/orange color with a big head that fades quickly.

S: Aromas of cloves and bananas. Bit watered down though.

T: The usual hefe flavors are here but they come across very flat. Finishes with a minor sweet corn aftertaste.

D: Not my favorite hefeweizen by a long shot. Seems very watered down and slightly flavorless.

2.85/5  rDev -26%

König Ludwig “Royal Bavarian” Hefe-Weizen pours a murky orange from a 330ml dark brown glass bottle. Head went to just under two fingers, then leaving no trace behind that a Hefe-Weizen had been poured into my 22oz beer glass. Very active streams of carbonation bubbles are making their way to the surface, but leaving no foam, ring, or lace of any kind.

Nose is a subdued rustic German hefe-weizen, nothing jumping out at me, save for a damp tangerine. Palate is also subdued, all the elemants are here, banana, clove, pepper, and a tangerine citrus sour, but not in any great amounts.

A refreshing ale... even a tasty one as well, just not a great ale that I would seek out again.

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

a bit too sweet for my tastes

2.91/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured from 500ml bottle into a pint glass.

A-Poured a rich yellow, almost orange colour. Very cloudy, reminds me of pineapple juice. A soft, white 3 finger head that dissipates after a short while.

S-can definitely smell yeast. Hints of citrus
and spice. Sort of a dank, wet smell.

T/M-taste the Yeast again as in the smell, hints of banana and citrus fruit. Tart and very dry. Medium bodied and very minimal aftertaste.

D-I will have to try more hefeweizen beer in the future, maybe it is a sort of acquired taste, but I didn't enjoy it as well as i'd hoped.

2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

Drank a lot of this stuff in Milwaukee. Tried to get into the mindset of drinking cloudy yellow wheat beers, but its just not my thing.

The appearance was most impressive of just about anything in this style, save SN Kellerweiss. Just didn't like the taste, too much clove(?) or something. Didn't like the hopping. Just not a beer for me. Cool label, cool appearance, even the smell was good (for some reason, no clove in smell, but taste?).

2.96/5  rDev -23.1%

The beer poured a slightly cloudy gold with a bit of white head. The aroma had some melon mixed with malt and hops which wasn't that pleasing. The melon came out in the taste along with wheat malt. The feel was appropriately light and slightly oily with a crisp finish. A slightly different take on the weiss, but hampered a bit by the melon smell and taste.

2.97/5  rDev -22.9%

Nose of ripe banana. Blonde color but rather cloudy. Little spice in the body, giving a mouth enough light or watery but supported by a base water may be relatively high (limestone?) that communicates the force to a low bitterness, however, that even despite the small taste security that is in aftertaste.

2.97/5  rDev -22.9%

I bought a 0.5L bottle of this beer on a DB train from Stuttgart to Hamaburg (nice 5 hour ride through Germany). As I will describe briefly, this was my least favorite hefeweizen from a German brewery to date.

First off, the beer was very clear, almost kristall-weizen appearance. Not so much of the haze I prefer and expect. Next, the aroma was very muted and didn't contain the fruity esters I wanted, not so much banana in this weizen. The taste was the same, it was like a hefeweizen lite, so little going on. Mouthfeel was average, drinkability average as well if all you want is to quench your thirst. But you should want more than this, I know I did.

Pours a golden yellow. The yeast give it a nice cloudy effect. There is a typical weissen head present. It gives away to a thin lace. The aroma is typical of this style. Cloves and bananas, but it is a bit week. Same with the taste. The typical weissen taste but kind of water down. An average weisseb beir.

Bottle: Poured a dirty beige color weizen with a huge foamy pure white head with good retention and some minimal lacing. Aroma of banana and cloves is too subtle for style. Taste is a mix between some medium wheat malt with traces of banana and cloves esters. Something resembling smoke is also noticeable but out of place within the style. Full body with limited filtration with some good carbonation. Not as clean and ester are a bit oof but still enjoyable.

I don't know..maybe I am just not too big on weiss beers at the moment. I think I am getting slightly bored with them. There was a time I really appreciated them and looked forward to having one. Those days are few now. This is a typical wheat beer. The cloves, bananas, smoke flavor. It is ok just nothing different than your typical weiss. I would rather a Hoegarden anyday. Plain and bland.

Geez, what a disappointment! I see this was just named best weisse or hefe weisse in beers of the world mag. Had this some year back and thought it was ok. and still think the same today. Ok, and nothing more. Hazy yellow, fine white head, good carbonation. Not much aroma. didn't pick up much in the way of the standard bavarian hefe weiss characteristics then or now. Maybe in this backwater we're not getting the good, fresh stuff.

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured a golden color with a 2 inch head which dissipates a little to quick for my liking.
The aroma was of soft spices with a tinge of lemon & banana
Tastes refreshing at first,mild spices with the lemony banana coming to the front,a little more full pronounced taste when warms up and the citrus comes out of it more.
Got a creaminess to it smooth medium body
Not to bad,I prefer it nice and cold before it starts warming,not much for these Weizen type beers but will try this one again...someday!

König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen) from Kaltenberg International / König Ludwig International GmbH & Co.KG