König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen) - Kaltenberg International / König Ludwig International GmbH & Co.KG

König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen)König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen)

Kaltenberg International / König Ludwig International GmbH & Co.KG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-07-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen) Alström Bros
Ratings: 773 | Reviews: 409
3.28/5  rDev -14.8%

Another bottle from my local trader, tone77, helping to keep my bottle numbers in alignment with my CANQuest (TM) numbers.

From the bottle: "Brewed according to the Bavarian Purity Law"; "Naturally cloudy Wheat beer"; "Why are the Bavarian Royal Family and King Ludwig so important to brewing history? The Bavarian Royal Family had sole rights to brewing of Hefe-Weizen in Bavaria for 200 years. No wonder they are leading experts on wheat brews."

This historical beer produced two fingers' of bone-white head following my aggro pour, but it quickly fell to wisps, leaving behind a good bit of lacing. Color was a cloudy orangish-yellow, reminiscent of fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice. Nose was full of banana esters underlain with a clove spiciness, not my bag, but true to style. Mouthfeel was medium-to full with a big banana flavor on the tongue. Finish had an odd twang, slightly metallic. I am not a fan of the style, unless it is clove-forward, vice banana and coupled with its odd finish, I will not be coming back to this beer.

3.28/5  rDev -14.8%

I jotted down some notes when I drank this beer last night at Tizley's Euro Pub in Poulsbo, WA.

Consumed in a Samuel Smith small glass.

Appearance: crazy haze, looked like wheat from the field

Smell: standard banana and clove found in any good hefe, a little more spicy than I would have expected

Taste/Mouthfeel: refreshing, banana, spice, clove, anise, not as deep as I would have expected

Hefe-weizen is my second favorite beer choice. I have not tried König Ludwig's other brews. They are all brewed in accordance with The Reinheitsgebot and I'm not so sure I like that Spartan ideology when it comes to beer. I probably won't try this one again. Go with Paulaner or Franziskaner Weissbier if you want a really good example of the style.

3.29/5  rDev -14.5%

Thin but creamy head with no lacing does not bode well for this hazy pee-colored beer. Nose is old hops, slight yeast, whiffs of banana.

I am pleasantly suprised here. Citrusy hops with faint grassyness and banana, and a good yeasty finish. Clove character shows up with continued quaffing. This is the first German wheat I've ever had and quite frankly I was expecting more, but its still good. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and assume this is an old bottle. Mouthfeel is creamy and good for the style.

3.29/5  rDev -14.5%

11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a weizen glass, reviewed live:

A - Pours a cloudy yellow/orange color with a finger of thin white head. Retention is okay at best. Standard fare.

S - Biscuity/bready yeast dominates, with notes of coriander, orange, lemon grass, and sweet malt and crisp wheat. It seems a bit imbalanced, though inviting.

T - There's this really strange mineral taste that I get right off the bat that's a bit off putting. I love the yeast, but that flavor really is tainting my overall impression. There are faint fruit notes, that help it out, and it is well balanced.

M - Light bodied and crisp. Well carbonated. Pretty good given the style but probably a bit too thick.

D - It could be a great beer, but that strange flavor is throwing me off. I'd try it again, with hopes of it being better.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%

Tall brown half liter bottle with a yellow and gold label featuring the Bavarian coat of arms and the proclamation: Royal Bavarian Beer. Purity law applies, versteht sich. Best before 7/3/04, I opened it on 2/15/04.

Pours a decent cloudy yellow under just a one finger white head that settles quickly to less than 1/2cm (1/4 inch), but then lingers. There's very little lace on the glass. The nose is mild, with the necessary spices and yeast, but all quite subdued. The mouth is very prickly and light. The opening is candy sweet and coriander spicey, with touches of yeast and malt. This opening is followed by a surprisingly hoppy bitterness. The aftertaste is mildly bitter. While unusual for a wheat, this hophead has no complaints about the bitterness. My wife, the Weissbier lover, thought it was quite good.

3.31/5  rDev -14%

Clouded honey-hued body. Wet, frothy ivory head. Impressive looking, per the style.
Muted nose of clove and banana. Spot on, but weak.
Begins with some typical weiss tones. Bananas and cloves. A touch peppery, with some trace lemon notes. Less assertive than most. Turns chalk-like at the finish. This is less a distraction than the only unique trait it exemplifies. Very dry at the closure. Simple and perhaps boring, but do-able.
Body is fluffed and airy, yet chalky and powdery at the same time. There is a water-down aspect present as well.
Totally unmemorable, yet poundable. It may be a good intro to macro-inclined friends.

3.32/5  rDev -13.8%

Appearance: hazy, no floating yeast with a deep yellow colour. The head is very large and white but does not persist for a long time (not much lacing).
Aroma: an agreeable nose with notes of yeast, wheat, banana and a little citrus presence.
Taste: confirms the aroma without the citrus presence.
Mouthfeel: smooth, low carbonation, average alcoholic strength and a thin body.
Finish: not very long aftertaste. Mix of wheat and banana notes.

Overall: this one is a nice and refreshing hefeweizen, but unfortunately it is too watery to make a better impression. There is not much there. Easy to drink, easier to forget.

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

Nice color and clarity. Not a bad odor either,was expecting a clean taste with a good balance of malt,barley,and hops all surrounded with a certain sweetness ,but some harsh twangy wheat taste overwhelmed everything good. I would pass on another. Hope there is another kind much better to try in the future

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

pours a hazy yellow with a good amount of sediment, a small white head, and some lacing.

smell of wheat, some citrus, and a little spice.

taste is creamy, banana, yeast, a touch of spice, and some citrus, ends a little on the creamy side.

overall an okay hefe.

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours a translucent, hazy, light golden with a decent white head. Aroma is yeasty and wheaty, fairly strong. Flavor is rich, wheaty, yeasty and slightly fruity, mainly orange. Texture is smooth, tingly and lively. Overall, about average but still pleasing.

3.35/5  rDev -13%

I tried this beer at the Virginia Beach Octoberfest along with two Warsteiner beers. Just like the other two, the Konig Ludwig was served in an opaque plastic cup so I really didn't get a great view of the color (orange amber) or cloudiness (it was there). This Hefe-Weizen had a small white head with some hanging in there for a while. The smell was pleasant and mildly fruit-like. The main problem I had with it was taste. Almost every sip started with a strong medicine-like taste. Almost like the taste of the anesthetic that the dentist injects before starting a procedure. I thought there was a problem with the keg, but I tried another Hefe last week (Weeping Radish Wheat beer) and experienced a much milder version of the same taste. I must just not like this style of beer and would rate the milder tasting Hefe's as the best, when what I see as a drawback may be a positive for a Hefe drinker. I liked the lightness of the beer and the mouthfeel, after the initial taste (I did get to experience the fruitiness and cloves). I do not rate this as high drinkability, but for fans of this style, the lightness and fruit taste would lead this to be a good summer session beer.

3.36/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Murky, browish-straw colour, fluffy off-white head, nice retention and lace.

S: Spice, citrus and a little earthy yeast.

T: Initially a little bland, some bready malt, spicy cloves, hints of a fruity ester (but no discernable flavour), with a crisp, slightly citrous finish.

M: Moderate body is heavier than most. Quite creamy too. Carbonation is lower than average.

D: A smooth introduction to the style, but it's heavier than most, and not as refreshing.

3.36/5  rDev -12.7%

Had a bottle of this from zdester, not to bad for a Hefeweizen.

Poured a crystal clear gold. Alot of carbonation. Head was thin, but lasted.

Smelled like wheat, not much else. Pretty average Hefe here.

Taste was very crisp, wheat, water, malts, and a bit of yeast. Very clean and refreshing.

Mouthfeel was very light, over carbonated, but all together balanced.

Drinkability here is average. This isn't my favorite style or beer but this is pretty decent. I'd drink another.

3.37/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours clear yellow with nice white head. Smell - straight wheat and this pretty much it. Taste - sweet, wheaty, a bit spicy. It's not that bad, but I'm not impressed. Nice level of carbonation, overal it's a pretty good brew, I'd probably try it again just make sure I was right with my first review.

3.37/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured into an odd weizen glass (too short)

I had this at a German-style bier pub

This weissbier had highs and lows. It looked too pale for a weissbier! There were no clouds of yeast. It smelled like a typical weissbier, cloves, bananas, yeast, etc. But, something was lacking. The beer's taste was not really there. It tasted peppery, I did not pick up anything beyond that. The mouthfeel was too watery, average at best.

I probably won't go out of my way for it. But, I'd accept it if I had no other hefeweizen options when I need one.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Standard hazed goldenrod color with a thin cap of white foam.

Light hefeweizen aromatics, mostly banana with subtle clove, nutmeg, and vanilla. Some bread and soft grain form a soft base and hops are light even for the style, actually they are almost absent.

Not my absolute favorite of the commonly imported German examples, but drinking this far from the source isn't a fair judge.

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance: This wheat poured a very cloudy yellow color, with some orange and amber hues showing up within its depths. The white, semi-fluffy, one-finger head dissipated quickly and left no lace behind. A papar-thin layer of bubbles remained floating on the beer for the entire drink.

Smell: Right after the pour, the aroma was all grain and banana. After the beer sat for a few minutes, the banana smell diminished and the main component became lemon zest with a hint of vanilla.

Mouthfeel: A crisp, somewhat chewy beer that had a little bite to it, just like a good wheat beer should have.

Taste: The flavor upfront was sweet grass and grain that quickly transformed into a tart, lemon flavor. In the middle, a slightly chewy grain flavor arose to join the lemon. Well into the aftertaste, a sweet banana flavor became very prominent and overshadowed the lemon. And when I say sweet banana, I mean it; it was like bananas rolled in sugar.

This is the first time that I have tried this beer and it wasn't bad. I prefer a stronger grain base, though, and could do without such the overly strong and sweet banana flavor. Hefes should be tart and crisp, not heavy and somewhat cloying

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours with a frothy, thick, pale tan colored head that is easily three fingers thick. The beer is a lightly hazy bright gold color with a pretty cascade of carbonation welling up from the center of my Duvel glass. The nose has subdued aromatics of clove and banana as well as a mild, grassy grain character. The taste is light and spritzy with a zesty carbonation as it hits my tongue, though it is a bit on the low side for a Hefeweizen. This beer is quite dry with a bit of bitterness in the finish as well as a long grassy note. This beer is lightly spicy as well with a bit of pepper and ginger on the tongue. This beer is pretty tame for a German Hefeweizen, not nearly as spicy, fruity or phenolic as the best of them, almost in the vein of a bland American Wheat beer, though not quite that bad.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My thoughts on this beer are that I was left a little disappointed.
It was cloudy ,a touch of cloves was there but it was very malty And it was more barley malt to my palate.
If I tasted this blind I would have picked it as a European Lager.
It was too soft and lacked the sharpness that attracts me to Weiss beers.
The label is ornate and Regal and it is a pity that the product didnt quite match up to it.

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%

It could have been better, a lot better. Simple label, unpronounceable brewery, I bought it in 500 ml bottle. $1.99. A yellowish color, nice head, but frankly, bland. Maybe I purchased an old bottle? I will have to revisit this beer at another time. It just seemed too blah, it just laid there and did nothing. No banana, no citris, only a slight hop flavor. blah.

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I was surprised to find a beer I had never heard of at Marché in Toronto. It didn't say what style, only König Ludwig, but it was served in a branded glass that said it was this.

Pours a murkey orange colour with thick white head. No real lacing, but nice read rentention down the glass. Smells of banana, mild orange, yeast and wheat. Flavour is fairly sweet, but a little bit tart as well. Ok carbonation level. I was a bit tired of drinking this by the end of the glass, but an ok Hefe.

3.41/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Typical hazy gold, creamy, puffy head, that hangs around. Some lacing.

S: Yeasty, wheaty, cloves, citrusy.

T: Cloves dominate. Some orange, some green apple. Lemony.

M: Light, very dry. Almost make sthe mouth pucker, but not in a "sour" way.

D: The dryness drops it just a bit. had better hefe's for sure, but, glad I chance to sample this.

3.41/5  rDev -11.4%

Konig Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen) pours a cloudy yellow with a thick white head from a brown 11.2 ounce bottle. Clove is most noticeable in the aroma, with a hint of banana. There is a strong phenolic component to the taste, which mixes well with the banana and clove flavors. Banana is much more prominent in the flavor than the aroma would suggest. Enjoyable.

3.41/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured a cloudy yellow with a finger of bright white head. Mild, yeasty aroma with touches of lemon and banana.

Moderate carbonation and a smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Light pepper up front followed by lemon and honey-wheat notes emerging on the finish.

Pleasant, light, and refreshing. Solid, if not particularly exciting.

11.2 oz bottle.

Thick, creamy white head that is quite impressive. Pale yellow color. The aroma & taste are pretty heavy on the coriander & spices, with some wheat & cloves thrown in for good measure. Somewhat one-dimensional, with the coriander & cloves standing out, but overall it was refreshing and had some good European hefe flavor.

Better than I expected it to be. A solid hefeweizen out of Germany.

König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen) from Kaltenberg International / König Ludwig International GmbH & Co.KG