König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen) - Kaltenberg International / König Ludwig International GmbH & Co.KG

König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen)König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen)

Kaltenberg International / König Ludwig International GmbH & Co.KG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-07-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen) Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: Disappointing head, and unusually clear golden straw color.

Aroma: Highly fruity aroma (apple juice?). Slight musty clove smell.

Flavor: Fairly fruity flavor (banana comes through more clearly here). Big wheat malt flavor. Phenols are mild, but contribute a bit in the finish, which is satisfyingly dry and tart.

Body: Medium body, carbonation a bit low for a bottle-conditioned hefeweizen.

For all the talk about this being the "official" beer of the Bavarian royal family, it's disappointingly bland.

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Usually not the biggest wheat beer fan. But I was intrigued by the fact that I had not tried this beer after looking over the packaging.
After pouring, the first thing I noticed was its golden appearance. Lots of carbonation. Had long legs going down the glass.
Smell, definitely had the charactoristics of a wheat beer. Almost a fruitier smell than most wheats I've had in the past.
The first taste, I definitely detected a hint of a fruit. Thought perhaps a bannana flavoring? Went down easier than most flavorful beers. Almost as easy as a macro "light" beer. But I forced myself to drink slow and enjoy its taste. Very carbonated. Worth a try if you can find it.

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

Standard 12 oz. brown bottle, no date, but “Brewed According to the Bavarian Purity Law”. Ok, so the average American wouldn’t know the Reinheitsgebot if it crawled up their left sleeve, let’s pour.
Aroma: Appropriately yeasty with a hint of banana and a good dash of a mild clove.
Appearance: Cloudy light gold glass with a quarter finger of bright white head. Strong carbonation streams noted. Thick sheets of lace followed the beer down as a crisp walking pace.
Flavor: The banana yeast plays a strong role and the wheat flavor really comes through. A mild refreshing taste
Mouthfeel: Light body with a good carbonation level. Fairly dry
Overall Impression: Massively drinkable, I’m having a hard time slowing down to enjoy this one. I could see pounding these as a session. The banana flavor is really enjoyable

3.38/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out hazy kind of faded orange colour. Didn't get much head on it, and what there was didn't stay around.

The smell is quite nice I find. Very much a Hefe Weizen smell, dominated by clove.

The smell had me excited for the taste, but I found I was a bit disappointed. Not as much to the flavour as I had hoped. Taste is like the smell, yet weaker. Aftertaste is not especially pleasant, and I find the back of my tongue feels like there is a thin film left.

The amount of carbonation makes it uncomfortable to roll the beer on your tongue. This beer is better when gulped then when savoured(if that makes sense).

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

A half liter bottle.

Cloudy, color looks like apple cider with a snow white tight head.
The aroma is fruity and yeasty with some underlying spice.

Taste is grainy but balanced ... somewhat restrained compared to the look and smell. Finishes with a whimper.

Imported by Warsteiner of Cincinnati, this is the most interesting brew I have had from them.

After drinking it I discovered the freshness date, printed nearly invisibly in white on yellow at the bottom back of the label.
Not a bad brew given that the "best by" date was Feb 06 04, more than 8 months before I drank it! Maybe the yeast helped.

I'd put it in a Weiss tasting and think it would do well.

3.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Slightly hazy golden wheat color with a frothy, cloudlike fluffy head. Lots of carbonation. Slight citrus notes with some tropical esters noticable. Lots of wheat malt and esters dominate the palate. Mild clove flavors also noticable. Lemony citrus tones on the lingering finish. Light mouthfeel, but very flavorful. Just enough acidity/carbonation to prevent a thick feel. Overall, a very drinkable hefe. Not my favorite style, but an enjoyable beer. Can't beat it for the price, IMO. Give it a try.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Pours a clouded gold color with an orange tinge to it. Thick off-white head. Tropical and clovey aromas and wheat bread smells. Creamy mouth texture from ample carbonation. Smooth in its texture. Malty but not overly so, just in the front and mildly acidic. Mid-palate it gets watery minerally. Then a light, hoppy finish that's slightly dry and crisp. The yeast portion of the profile suggests mostly cloves. A nice Bavarian hefeweizen.

3.8/5  rDev -1%

pours with an enormous white fluffy head, and a cloudy glowing gold color. the head being very stable.
strong banana and clove aroma with a noticeable yeasty spiciness.
interesting flavor. is this what breadiness is?? very easy to drink, though it seems to lack some crispness.
this is a style i really enjoy and this particular bier was no exception. maybe not my favorite of the style, but highly recommendable.

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Had this one on-tap at the Grand Rapids Germanfest 2004. The pour leaves a hazy golden color with a one inch thick creamy egg white head. The smell is extremely fruity with the most dominant fruit being banana. This beer has a real fruity flavor upfront but the most dominant flavor seems to be the yeasty undertones which stand out towards the finish. The clove aspect is a little overwhelmed by the banana and yeast but comes through towards the end. The yeast makes for a really dry, bready finish. There seems to be a bitterness in here as well. There's lots going on here. This beer isn't sweet like the Paulaner or tart like Pax but somewhere in between. I really enjoyed it on this hot summer day.

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy gold colored brew with a small bright white head. Minimal lacing. Smell was predominantly bready yeast. Taste was wheat grain with banana and lemon notes. Unfortunately, it also had a metallic topnote/aftertaste that I found quite unpleasant. I thought it might be a bad bottle, but others have also described this metallic taste and the "Best by" date on this bottle was Jan 05... still 8 months away. Decent mouthfeel, Didn't really want another after finishing it! Hefe Weizen is one of my favorite styles, but there are many others I'd rather have than this.

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

Good traditional hefe qualities in appearance, nice hazy straw color, pearl white head. Good retention.

Nose is a little tepid compared to other weissbiers I've had. Has a very citrusy aroma with some banana. I don't detect any clove.

Taste has a malty toasted cracker component alongside some banana, but overall it's a very "cracker" tasting beer. Ritz? Wheat Thins?

Finish is rather short. Perhaps I have an old bottle.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

A very nice bottle conditioned hefeweiss that I will stock regularly. Pours a slightly clouded orangey-gold with a frothy 2 finger cap and lots of natural effervescent activity in the glass. Aroma is the most pungent and pronounced of all the bottled hefeweizens I have tasted (save for Weihenstephaner)...lots of clove and Banana phenols...wondeerful! Starts with blast of tart lemon-peppery tang as the carbonation and tart hops assail the tongue and literally pummel it. Then it mellows to a medium-light body punctuated with the banana-cloce tastes over a bready sweetness then a dry metallic finish...wadda beer! I like this one as a thirst buster on a warm day. Probably the best of the commercial German imported hefeweizens. Highly recommended.

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

Body is cloudy gold, as noted for on the bottle and for the style. Huge three-finger head to start and a little retains well after the pour (Note: I swirled the last inch or so of this beer to get the yeast as recommended by past reviews).

Very nice wheat smell with a hint of citrus.

The taste is very nice, a little milder spiciness than I expected but very pleasant. Good malty taste at the end.

A surprisingly active mouthfeel. The carbonation covered some of the nice taste but not too much.

I find this beer very drinkable anytime. Would be great in the spring if I had a few of these. Might still be a bit heavy for the hot summer but they have Witbiers for that.

I've been trying to expose myself to more overseas beers with one of those 'Beers of the World' packs. This is easily the best I've had from it so far.

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

This looks cloudy and pale yellow and smells like bananas and cloves. The taste has the right balance but what this Hefe lacks is the punchy fresh taste that the best German Weissbier have. I have no problem drinking glass after glass of this beer on a hot day but I cannot put his on the same level as Schneider Weisse or Hacker -Pschorr.

3.05/5  rDev -20.6%

Appearance:
Clear golden yellow. Head is light. I like this style of beer to be more hazy in the glass. Overall average.

Smell:
Interesting smell... not sure if I like it or not!! A bready and coppery smell comes to nose first. Intersting...

Taste:
A grainy and sweet flavor. Again different than what I'm used to with the style. Flavor has metallic overtones.

Mouthfeel:
Nice feeling in the mouth. Carbonation level is good. Beer coats tounge well.

Drinkability:
Easy drinking beer.. .I like the flavor but it's different than I would expect. Overall pleasant.

Edit: I'm having a second bottle now... I'm thinking the first bottle was bad.. this bottle was much cloudier and has a more expected flavor.

The last time I had this beer was New Years although I had it a few times before then. If you like wheat beers, you should like this beer. Surprisingly enough, some of my friends who aren't very familiar with wheats or not very big into them liked it too. I have had better weiss beers but this one is definitely very good. Its pours out a very cloudy yellow color. The smell has, like many wheat beers the hint of banana but also a very citrusy smell. The citrusy smell comes through in the taste which I found very enjoyable but I like the lemony taste which some may not. It is well carbonated and very refreshing. This is definitely a beer to pick up if you find it, especially on a summer afternoon.

3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

The color was light cloudy transluscent gold. The small bubbled head was okay. The aroma was grassy, metallic, and spicey with some floral bouquet. The taste was mediciney and citrusy ( orange peels and hints of lemon) and slightly sweet. The finish was dry, mediciney and metallic. Even though this review is lacking in positive adjectives and modifiers I did like this beer even though I am not a wheat beer fan.

3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

Tall brown half liter bottle with a yellow and gold label featuring the Bavarian coat of arms and the proclamation: Royal Bavarian Beer. Purity law applies, versteht sich. Best before 7/3/04, I opened it on 2/15/04.

Pours a decent cloudy yellow under just a one finger white head that settles quickly to less than 1/2cm (1/4 inch), but then lingers. There's very little lace on the glass. The nose is mild, with the necessary spices and yeast, but all quite subdued. The mouth is very prickly and light. The opening is candy sweet and coriander spicey, with touches of yeast and malt. This opening is followed by a surprisingly hoppy bitterness. The aftertaste is mildly bitter. While unusual for a wheat, this hophead has no complaints about the bitterness. My wife, the Weissbier lover, thought it was quite good.

3.15/5  rDev -18%

I'm more inclined to like American wheat beers than Weiss/Weizen beers. I typically find Weiss beers to be too wheaty (I know, I know, that's what they're suppose to taste like). Well this particular example was a bit more mellow and dry. I liked it.

The color was a light, slightly hazy gold. The head was brilliant white, but I wished it was a bit bigger. Considering that I paid just over $1 per bottle, I'd definately have another if I was in the mood for a German Weiss.

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

This brew is a light orange/yellow color, cloudy as expected, with a creamy/bubbly head topping it off. The scent is that citrusy, bananay smell from hefes that i love. The taste of this one is really zesty/acidic, lemony, a different take than most of the american versions ive had. Not a bad beer, i just wish the weather was more suited for it.

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a very, very, very light yellow color. Quite pale, and very clear. Wow - I wasn't expecting to see anything this light in a beer that I hoped to enjoy (ie not a crappy light macro beer).

The smell is quite nice, though, and of lemon and honey.

The taste if of lemon, honey and estery bubblegum, and a bit later on of banana. There's a small, very light hoppy aftertaste. The beer is fairly refreshing, but quite thin, which started to get annoying after a small glassful.

3.8/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This brew poured pale, but certainly not as "white" as other hefes or weisses. It is typically cloudy initially, but towards the bottom of the bottle, as always, the beer is thick with sediment and yeast so much that you cannot see through it. It is the colour of apple juice, with a thin, small-bubble head; it does not possess the massive head of other hefes I have tried. The aroma is fruity, and typical of wheat beers: sour. However, in this I detect a very strong apple aroma: indeed, it was the first detectable smell from the glass. The odour of pears also is present. Medium-bodied, musky, sweet, sour, wheaty, with very slight hop bitterness. It has a bubble-gum tartness at times. I am absolutely astonished to find that only ONE other review of this beer mentions the taste of apples. This, I think, is the predominate taste and aroma of the beer. Overall, it is highly drinkable, but not as complex as other wheat beers.

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer poured hazy yellow with a huge off-white head that lasts. The aroma is fruity, yeasty, and wheat. The flavor is soft wheat and malt. A slight banana flavor is present. Slight spices in the background. The body is medium-light and creamy. Due to no real overpowering flavors you could drink quite a bit of this.

16.9 ounce bottle.

2.83/5  rDev -26.3%

Well, I was a little disappointed in this one.

A: Looks ok, like a Hefe should, though it was yellow, not golden. appropriately cloudy.

S: minimal, very light malty smell

T: I should hedge here. At first, I was not really impressd. Very strong, sweet wheat that almost overpowers you and this lingering bitter background. But alas, in comes the Hefe savior - the lemon -and it really helps. A lemon balances the sugar and alcohol making it a fairly enjoyable beer.

M: Whoa, way too carbonated, reminiscent of the swill called Bud Light I used to drink as one of the ignorant unwashed. (i.e. Before BA.com!)

D: Eh...too fizzy for me.

I much prefer other Hefes to this one. Not recommended.

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Enjoyed a glass of this at the Hirschgarten in München...

This Hefe poured a golden/yellowy color. It was naturally cloudy, with a white head which was thin and short. Minimal lacing as well.
Nose is very heavy on the clove (though that's not a bad thing...) along with banana. Quite pleasing! Body was a bit less than medium, and it passed somewhat roughly across the tongue. Lots more clove in the flavor upon quaffing. Also banana, wheaty hints, and crisp and dry. Pretty good, actually, but a small kick in the butt would do it some good! Could be more complex than what it is... Zum Wohl!!

overall: 3.8
appearance: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 3.5 | drinkability: 3.5

König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen) from Kaltenberg International / König Ludwig International GmbH & Co.KG