Big Rock Grasshopper Wheat Ale - Big Rock Brewery

Big Rock Grasshopper Wheat AleBig Rock Grasshopper Wheat Ale

Big Rock Brewery visit their website
Alberta, Canada

Kristalweizen |  5.00% ABV

Light on the palate, yet packed with flavour and European hop aroma, with fruity or citrusy notes.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-04-2002)
Reviews by logicpositive:
3.5/5  rDev +14%

logicpositive, Jan 12, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -10.4%

cam477, Sep 30, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -25.1%

The Grasshopper pours a golden yellow with hints of orange and a small bubbly head. It doesn't seem to want to stick around either. Smell is pretty damn boring with hints of lemony grains and a thin sweetness.

First sip is a light, citrus lemon flavor with hints of wheat and light crystal malts. A hint of biterness, but really no discernable hop flavor at all. Overall pretty uninspiring...

Mouthfeel is quite thin and watery but it hangs on to a bit of body somehow. I don't have any urge to drink more of this...but it was worth a shot. Thanks (I think) to kmpitz2 for hooking me up with the bottle.

orbitalr0x, Dec 10, 2004
2.75/5  rDev -10.4%

FadetoBock, Aug 21, 2013
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Mar 05, 2012
3.68/5  rDev +19.9%

Served in a bottle with the snazzy new label, which somehow is a detraction from a beer, because beer as an institution finds credibility and enjoyment in history. But I digress.

Poured a bright gold with a wht head which reduced to a small ring with mild lacing on the glass. Mild hop bit on the nose, a hint of that bright Kristal wheat and a whiff of lemon.

Jumpy carbonation on the tounge, with a light mouthfeel that stops short of watery. Nice little hop bite, and a taste like bright sunshine - refreshing, full on fresh wheat and citrus notes throughout. A mild bitter finish.

A nice, refreshing beer. This was first non-macro brew I ever had, introduced by a friend. Drinkable, goes great with barbecue and warm weather.

niangelo, Aug 26, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I remember having this one ages ago in my undergrad days and thought I'd give this one another go. On draught at the University of Waterloo Grad House.

This may be related to my stance toward all kristals, but I must say the non-filtered look does nothing for me. I really prefer the opaque look. Clear golden, with a white head that vanishes a few sips in. Not a great start.

Smell is a bit hoppy, with only a mild hint of the weissbier mainstays of banana and citrus.

The taste doesn't interest me at all. Very thin and watery, not much in the way of robust weisse flavours. Added a lemon halfway though on recommendation The best way to put it would be a 'wheat beer lite'. Mouthfeel is also thin, decent carbonation. Uninspired.

Despite its faults, Grasshopper is indeed drinkable, and I could see myself having a few of these on a patio on a hot day. Nothing about the beer offends me - it's not skunky or poorly crafted - but then again, nothing impresses me about it either. If saying "nothing about it offends me" and "drinkable" are the highest praise I can muster, then it's probably worth moving on to something else.

JohnnyBarman, Oct 20, 2009

A new look at an old beer, haven't had this one since back in the 90s. Typical yellow pour, thin white ring of head above the beer, dissipates quickly. Aroma, lacking a whole lot in that department, what is there is very faint citrus and wheat/grain notes.

Taste, very middle of the road, still a plenty light body. Wheat, no hops, some lemon or orange rind maybe to it. Very easy to drink beer, one of those summer or friend beers to have around. Can't say there is anything wrong with this beer, it just is. Carbonation seems high to give it an even lighter body I would guess. Some fruity metallic notes on the undercurrent if you look for it.

Beerandraiderfan, Jun 22, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance: When the bartender says that they have a wheat beer flowing, I got all excited and ordered one right away. The beer came in a mug with a lemon wedge already there, the filtered appearance saddens me with the golden orange tone of the beer and fizzy thin white head, leaves behind some specks of lace. Aroma: A nice citrusy zing doesn't have any of the great yeast characteristics I have come to enjoy from the German hefeweizen, but it's not bad sharp sweetness decent. Taste: The flavor is a spritzy mix of sweetness and citrus tones but a bit bland, when I added the lemon to my beer (which I never do) it actually improved this one. Mouthfeel: Light to medium in body with very fizzy carbonation, not bad but again I was looking for a fluffy textured hefe. Drinkability: I had a couple over the course of the weekend not my favorite but a solid wheat ale if that's what your into, I'm not.

WVbeergeek, Feb 15, 2004
2.05/5  rDev -33.2%

(Served in a pint dimple mug)

A- Yellow with slight orange hue very clear with a thin pure white head that lasted for a little bit

S- Thin clean aroma that smelled very crisp. I couldn't get any notes of hops, wheat or grain.

T- Light pale malt taste with a very light hop bitterness, no beady or fruity hints at all. Very clean finish.

M- Thin body with a light carbonation fuzziness and no tart aftertaste.

D- Very light beer that did show any fruitiness or any wheat flavor. I felt this was a kristal weizen that was trying to appeal to an American adjunct lager drinking market.

rhoadsrage, Mar 09, 2005
3.5/5  rDev +14%

downtownbrown, May 21, 2012
3.56/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

355ml can. I only seem to drink this when I'm elsewhere in the province, usually Calgary (the Arts Hotel downtown comes specifically to mind), which I attribute to the 'When in Rome' phenomenon. This time, it's across the border in BC mountain country, and another can destined for that apres-ski hot tub sensibility.

The beer pours a crystal clear pale golden straw colour, with lots of loosely foamy off-white head, which leaves a low ring of minor shore-side lacing around the glass as it lazily sinks away.

It smells of decently prominent breakfast cereal grain, wheat and barley duly represented, with an ever so slight banana/cloves essence. Wheaty, full stop, and hardy in its bearing.
The taste is a pleasantly prominent grainy malt, of the same ilk as the aroma - bready and wheaty in a sturdy sort of manner, a softly sweet, tame floral hop crispness following gamely up, with a lingering, hollow spice perception, one somewhat redolent of spicy cloves.

There is just a tad too much carbonation, but to no great ill effect, the body an adequate medium-light weight, and smooth enough, I suppose. It finishes generally on the sweet side, the kids' breakfast cereal wheatiness holding sway.

A decent enough Americanized wheat ale, nothing all that complex, and worthy enough of multiple indulgences, given the right conditions when and/or if you find yourself adrift in Wild Rose country. And one other thing - I looove saying the name of this beer with an Aussie accent. I just do.

biboergosum, Jan 14, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -9.4%

Woody is bang on when he says the head is the colour of French vanilla. The head also shows poor retention. The beer itself is golden in colour and crystal clear. It has a mildly sweet aroma with a possibly imagined hint of banana candy or vanilla. It tastes slightly tangy with a very subtle banana note. Subtle just might be an overstatement. Clean, but bland and devoid of character to the point of being insipid. It feels thin and watery with a light body and low carbonation. Really refreshing on a hot summers day; so is a good pilsener, and a good pilsener would pack a little bit more flavour than this.

mintjellie, Mar 07, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -18.6%

seavercm, Aug 22, 2013
3.28/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Many years since I had this beer and it tasted far better and balanced. Could not get a smell but could have been the glass. Refreshing summer ale offering. Thanks Osborne Freehouse. Grainy and malty sweet. Crisp like a wheat but not much wheat. Thin-medium mouthfeel.

Another 1.75 years and I had this in fresh bottle. Less metallic, easy drinking.

Sammy, Jun 16, 2004
2.8/5  rDev -8.8%

Probably my first kristalweisen. Clear, straw-amberish. No head or lacings in the glass.

A little bit of detergent type lemon on the nose. Not much else.

This tastes like a macro lager with a bit of a bitter lemon twist. Can't find the wheat other than the citrus character. Having some trouble deciding whether this has some west coast hops or is just overly carbonated, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Really don't enjoy fizzy beer, which this is. Meant to be drank ice-cold on a hot day, I wouldnt have it otherwise.

CanuckRover, Feb 26, 2008

jcubz, Jul 12, 2014

Had a chance to try a Big Rock Grasshopper at a conference in Calgary. The bottle was poured into a tall pilsner glass and did not generate much head. The color was more yellow than golden and the clarity was clear for a wheat beer, which surprised me a little. There was some cirtus notes to the nose, but not overpowering. The taste was good, well balance wheat beer nothing extravagent. The mouthfeel made for a perfect after lawn mowing beer.

WoodBrew, Jun 22, 2011
3.25/5  rDev +5.9%

Jaimey, Aug 02, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -59.3%

Druid, Aug 04, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured into a Grasshopper weizen glass, this beer is crystal clear deep golden and has a fizzy white head. After an aggressive pour the head was three fingers deep, however that lasted less than a minute and has left minimal lacing.

Smells like cut hay, dry and grainy. Not much smell here.

Taste starts relatively sweet, with some of the bubble gum sugaryness that you might find in a hefe, but toned down sharply. Finish is a bit grassy, but very understated. Not much here either.

Mouthfeel isn't bad, but doesn't excite. It has more body than a lager, but not by much. The carbonation isn't all that lively either, which I found kind of surprising.

This beer does have drinkability going for it, if you were out to pound down a few on a hot day, you would find Grasshopper an easy choice. I'd say it is a wheat beer for the macro masses. Not much to it, but different enough to make the average beer drinker feel like he's trying something wild.

elricorico, May 11, 2006
3.25/5  rDev +5.9%

I obtained this bottle from a sampler of Big Rock ales. For the sake of brevity, I'll classify my first encounter with the sampler (the XO Lager) as incredibly underwhelming. Let's hope Grasshopper jumps ahead of my previous Big Rock experiences...

This one, like the XO Lager, is very undercarbonated -- in my entirely amateur opinion. I have to pour from quite a height to get a reasonable amount of head on this one. And folks, let's remember that this is a *wheat* beer. Head should not be a problem. Appearance is exceptionally clear -- no discernable haze whatsoever. Color is a translucent golden yellow, and I might think this was a Bohemian lager until I had a whiff and a sip.

Aroma is a bit malty, and my feeble nose detects almost no hoppy character; while there is some wheat in the scent, it's not particularly assertive unless you inhale deeply. Muted would be a good way to describe the aroma.

Taste is mostly sweet, a bit of wheatiness, only a hint of bitterness from the hops -- aftertaste is a bit dull. Mouthfeel is somewhat more substantial than the XO Lager, which I appreciate (I prefer beers that have a bit more body than your average glass of tap water). While I'm not bowled over by the flavor, I'm not too offended either.

While I'd characterize this as a lackluster wheat beer, I'd hardly hesitate to choose between this one and the XO if forced to make the choice. This one is not great, but at least it's not awful. In fact, on a really hot summer afternoon, this would make a suitable light refreshment. I wouldn't go out of my way to score a six-pack of these, but between the Big Rock Traditional and the XO, this one lands smack in the middle taste-wise.

kylesobrien, Nov 14, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a light straw clear yellow with decent white head that turns to a 1/8 collar and mild lacing.Not much in the nose here,very faint grains,grass,musty kinda odor.Taste is not much either,a touch bitterness and musty grass that leaves a heavy dull dry feel in the mouth,medium body with a flatness to it.Not much to reccomend here,got this one in the 15 can variety pk,like the warthog and the ale way better than this one.

GrimmReaper, Nov 07, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +25.4%

A- I gave this a hard pour and it didn't really produce much of a head, other than a slightly better than thin foam that quickly dissapears into nothing more than a half ring around the glass. It's clear with a rather nice looking golden color with a very slight orange hue.

S- Fairly mild aromas in general, but I detected some grainly smells, along with some malts, and a bit of clean fruitiness. Not sure if I detect the banana....

T- I really like it! It has a good predominant malty character, however what prevents this from getting full points is the lack of the wheat flavor that I would have expected. There is a very mild hop presence in this beer that isn't really detectable until you get the aftertaste. It does offer some muted citrus flavors of lemon and/or orange, which would be enhanced by a wedge of either I'm sure....as well, there are some soft fruits on the palate, perhaps the banana that is supposed to be here! It is a very clean tasting wheat beer!

M- Nothing much of note here....it is light bodied, but refreshing. There is a fairly high carbonation level in this beer. It seemed creamier when first taking a drink but then thins out on the finish.

D- I first tried this at a local bowling alley and I have to admit, I really enjoyed it so I bought some and continue to like this. It's not as pronounced as an unfiltered wheat beer but I think this is easy to drink, has enough flavor to enjoy over an evening and would especially be great during a hot summer as a staple. I do recommend this and I think Big Rock does a great job on just about all of their products!

ChrisCage, Jun 28, 2008

Grabbed a pint at ethel's lounge. Poured a half finger head into a pint glass, yellow amber colour, white head with little retention. Smell is wheat with biscuit and a hint of citrus. Taste was a bitter wheat with an off aftertaste, with some nice grapefruit and pepper notes. Medium body with some carbonation, not overly smooth. Not a bad brew but if i had known they had mad tom i would not have even considered it.

Stocean1, Oct 20, 2011