Big Rock Grasshopper Wheat Ale - Big Rock Brewery

Big Rock Grasshopper Wheat AleBig Rock Grasshopper Wheat Ale

Big Rock Brewery visit their website
Alberta, Canada

Kristalweizen |  5.00% ABV

Light on the palate, yet packed with flavour and European hop aroma, with fruity or citrusy notes.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-04-2002)
2.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Waitress told me this one was a hefe, which was a touch confusing to start. Pours a copper color with a bit of head that dissolves fairly fast. Strangely crystal clear for a wheat beer - my first hint of a problem. I later realized it was a kristal, so I gave it a repreive. Nose is mostly malt with a touch of wheat and lemon. Pretty weak. Taste is stronger, although still dominated by lemon and malt (not wheat, as is generally the pattern). Body is medium, average, with strong carbonation. Overall, very mediocre, although not particularly offensive. Wouldn't want to have to many.

soupyman10, Sep 12, 2007
2.13/5  rDev -30.6%

Poured clear, light golden without any obvious sign that it's a wheat beer. Very fizzy with an off-white head, half a finger. The retention was not bad at all. Wet grass / damp basement odour. Unpleasant taste, bitter / sour effect. I tried to put my finger on the aftertaste but kept wondering if they use real grasshoppers in this beer .... Truth be told, I was glad to get this tasting over with and chose not to finish the bottle. I've had other products from this brewery that I thought were perfectly okay; as for this beer, I would not recommend it.

ThatWineGuy, Sep 09, 2007
3.38/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer has an aroma that reminds more of rye than wheat. It has a nice golden colour when poured. It is smooth to the tongue and is smooth tasting. I would certainly recommend this beer to somebody wanting to try a decent wheat beer without paying a lot of money.

cyrenaica, Jun 25, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -12.7%

nice color...deep yellow..aggressive pour = 2 finger head that fizzled away quckley..good lacing though.

not a whole lot for the olfactory glands here..some faint grainy sweetness.

I guess I'm used to german weiss beers when it come to taste..this is really bland..a more subdued hint of that ever-present Big Rock sweetness and a bit of maltiness at the end...but really quite boring.

mouthfeel is OK..decent body, a hint of astringincy, but overall easy enough to drink.

This is obviously Big Rocks attempt to sway the Molson/Labatt macro-brew drinker who isn't willing or able to handle their ales and other products.

I really want to like this brewer's product, given they were once the lone beacon of micro-brewers here in Alberta, but so far I haven't been impressed

Shadman, Mar 23, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours a clear golden yellow with bubbly white head that laces fairly well. Aroma of cereal, bit of citrus, some off I can't quite put my finger on. Taste was some sweet grain, almost like corn, with bit of wheat tang and some dry hops in the finish. Mouthfeel was clean, with some hop crispness. This is not a great beer, but wouldn't be terrible on a hot day.

tatterdash, Mar 02, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -12.7%

A Kristal Weizen from a can...

Poured as any macro swill would - no head really, a crystal clear body, a yellow-lime tinted colour. Aroma not of wheat, but rather corn starch. A real cereal like smell to the malts. Unappealing and grosely out of character for a wheat beer. A adjunct filled mouthfeel, no texture less a slight syropy coating. Flavour starts on a sweet note, ringing out from the adjuncts. I don't taste any wheat at all. The flavours really don't last long, the only aspect of which that stands out is a real cereal grainyness. The flavour would slowly redeem some of itself as it warmed... but this drink as any macro lager does...

I'd rate this higher as a macro lager, cause it drinks ok. But for the style, and from the can.. this was worse than I would have expected...

biegaman, Feb 11, 2007
2.33/5  rDev -24.1%

A - Clear gold with a puny head.

S - Smells almost like a macro. Maybe some odd esters as well.

T - Tastes like a macro: mild bitterness, lack of flavour. Has a bit of a lemony hint to it.

M - Feels like a macro. Light bodied, and fizzy.

D - Drinks like a macro.

allergictomacros, Oct 07, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Immaculate amber with a surprisingly small, off-white head. I gave this sucker a high-altitude pour and was able to fit all 341 ml into the glass with ease. As I type, the cap is down to a slim one finger and is fading fast. The glass is almost as spotless as the beer. Grasshopper is average in the looks department (and that's being kind).

I'm not sure what makes this beer a kristal weizen and not an American pale wheat ale. Whichever one it is--if it matters--there's no trace of yeast to my eyes or to my nose. The aroma is sweet and grain-like with a complete absence of accessory aromas that would make it the least bit interesting.

This is an APWA and it's a middle-of-the-road one at that. The flavor is more sweet than the nose and I'm betting that honey is an unadvertised ingredient. There's isn't enough malt for the beer to be as sweet as it is without some other source of sugar. When the brewery says that it's 'delicately hopped', they aren't kidding. In fact, I'm having a hard time appreciating any hop flavor at all.

There's a wee bit of bitterness on the back end, but try as I might, I can't even guess as to the country of origin of the hop bill. Given the name, I would have loved to have seen a hugely hopped wheat ale. 'Grasshopper' is wasted on a beer that's this lackluster. The finish is short and honeyish. Some citrus would be nice.

The mouthfeel is actually pretty decent. Whenever the flavor doesn't knock my socks off, I at least like to feel a little zip in the mouth with regards to carbonation. This one is more bubbly than I normally care for, but it's keeping me semi-interested. The fact that the carbonation is still kickin' in the final mouthful is a minor highlight as well.

Grasshopper (why the umlauts?) is a average North American Pale Wheat Ale whose biggest positive is its mouthfeel and its benign drinkability. I could toss back a few of these if there was nothing better on hand, but better beer shouldn't be that hard to come by. Even in Canada.

BuckeyeNation, Sep 03, 2006
3.08/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a very bright gold with a light head the disappates very quickly. In spite of my bad attitude, it turns out to have suprisingly good taste. Good, solid hop character for the style, smooth, but present, a more than adequate mouthfeel, and there's not bitter or off aftertaste to the beer that often happens with a light mass market. While light and excessively easy to drink, it is by no means unenjoyable. If I was in a meat market beer bar, I'd order this over other macros. Being in a can gives a bad impression to start, but it seems to have no real affect. I've rarely had a beer from a can since sipping on my Dad's Miller Light in the 70's, so this is a refreshing surprise.

FightingEntropy, Aug 17, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +8.5%

Picked some of this up, was a little curious.

At first glance, this poured a bright yellow with minimal head. Not terrible but not overly impressive either. Smell is a bit nasty, a bit like dirty feet. This stuff however doesn't taste too bad. Clean, Refreshing, with a wheaty aftertaste that is actually quite pleasant. Easy going and quite a nice accompaniment to a hot summer day.

funkengruven, Jun 21, 2006
2.55/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured a very pale golden color with lots of carbonation. A light head that dissipates quickly. Little lacing.

Smell was "strange". I couldn't quite place it, but it was not pleasant. Some hops in there.

tase was light with some spicy/citrus and a little hops and malts. Nothing distinct.

The mouthfeel was also light. Overall, not a very good beer. Just not assertive enought to warrant having another.

atigerlife, Jun 04, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured into a Grasshopper weizen glass, this beer is crystal clear deep golden and has a fizzy white head. After an aggressive pour the head was three fingers deep, however that lasted less than a minute and has left minimal lacing.

Smells like cut hay, dry and grainy. Not much smell here.

Taste starts relatively sweet, with some of the bubble gum sugaryness that you might find in a hefe, but toned down sharply. Finish is a bit grassy, but very understated. Not much here either.

Mouthfeel isn't bad, but doesn't excite. It has more body than a lager, but not by much. The carbonation isn't all that lively either, which I found kind of surprising.

This beer does have drinkability going for it, if you were out to pound down a few on a hot day, you would find Grasshopper an easy choice. I'd say it is a wheat beer for the macro masses. Not much to it, but different enough to make the average beer drinker feel like he's trying something wild.

elricorico, May 11, 2006
3.35/5  rDev +9.1%

This particular beer was recommended to me by the bartender and a nice weissbier. I didn't realize it was a kristal weizen until he placed the filled pint glass in front of me and the beer was not cloudy.

Appeared a bright gold golor with a sturdy, white colored head that didn't move a muscle. Aromas of grains, dried fruit, and lemon with a touch of citrus. The taste was that of a hefe with subtle banana flavors. Flavorful with elements of fruits and citrus/lemon while still having bread & grain characteristics underneath. Good texture with the carbonation; refreshing and engaging. Good drinkability, had a few of these without a problem.

jaluria, May 01, 2006
3.1/5  rDev +1%

Poured a pleasant-looking dark gold into a pint glass. No head at all, and I let it warm up quite a bit. Strange.

Smell is malty and grainy, a teeny tiny little bit of wheat presence, and some floral hops.

Taste is weakly bready (wheaty?) and malty, with some mild skunk. Decently smooth mouthfeel, but WAY too carbonated. Really, really carbonated.

Not terrible. I could drink a couple, I guess, but probably wouldn't session it or seek it out. I will try some others by Big Rock if I can find them in Ontario.

crwills, Mar 30, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I have had Big Rock's Grasshopper Wheat Beer once before in my life - at a Christmas party where it was the only alternative to a cooler full of Coors Light. Needless to say, the Grasshopper went down quite well, though I never got a chance to really experience it. So I grabbed a six pack from the LCBO store on Main Street Markham and sat down (after some refridgeration) to see if I missed anything.

Poured from a standard brown bottle, part of a closed cardboard case, so there shouldn't be any skunkiness. But this stuff doesn't look very appealing. Crystal clear, a gold straw colour like most lagers, and not a bit of head in sight. A tiny bit of lacing is slightly redeeming, though it dissapates quickly.

The nose is difficult to distinguish. A teensy bit of hoppiness on the front end, with what I presume to be wheat filling out the rear, and some subtle banana notes hovering around the back. Nothing special, but not horrible, either. Upon further review, however, it's interesting to note that the proper glassware brings out the pear/citrus/banana notes much more extensively, which is very nice.

Taste is pleasant, though not complex, really. The wheat character is definitely on the weak side, but the banana and pear notes definitely shine through, which is a nice touch. Sweet initially, with hops the dominant presence, and a mild bitterness upon finish. Also some lemon-y citrus notes throughout. Certainly not a stellar example of the style but I must admit its still quite tasty and flavourful. I don't quite know how adding a lemon would go, but I suppose it might be worth a try, if only once to see how it goes.

Mouthfeel is good but not great - slightly overcarbonated and a little thin in the mouth - but drinkability is quite impressive. Big Rock Grasshopper Wheat Beer is most definitely a brew that you'd have while enjoying the company of friends in the dead of summer; perhaps out by the pool or on the patio. Multiple drinks are the name of the game, and while Grasshopper is far from an ideal in terms of representing its' style, its quite tasty, and no doubt a catalyst in good times. If only for that reason, then, it's worth a try.

headlessparrot, Feb 04, 2006

Is it wrong to have Weihenstephaner's Kristallweizen in my mind whenever I review a Kristal Weizen? Probably, but it was one of my great summer refreshers this past summer, so it's hard.

Rather weak looking pour, nothing like the beautiful violent carbonation I've seen in this style before. Head subsides quickly to nothing, with not much lace to speak of. I find that a lot of Big Rock's beers tend to pour rather weakly and then have good zip in the mouth...we'll see. Smell is a bit sour, obscuring the natural pear/banana notes i'm hoping to find. Taste is nicer than the smell though. Good, wheaty/bready malts, banana, sour notes after. Taste weakens quickly and feels thin, slides down real easy. This is a pretty clean and refreshing beer, but not very exciting. A straight average offering from Big Rock.

trevorwideman, Dec 17, 2005
3.68/5  rDev +19.9%

Pous a crystal clear light gold. The head is pathetically shortlived and leaves no lace. The aroma is of light malts with slight banana esters and a shadow of hops. The taste is light but just flavorful enough. Sweet malt melds with fruity slightly clovey yeast flavors and cereal grains. Hops are light and add to the finish. The mouthfeel is light and crisp with lots of carbonation.

This or Mcnally's Extra are the best Big Rock Offerings. This is an unchallenging, simple yet tastey pale wheat ale. It would be good in the summer.

CAMRAhardliner, Nov 20, 2005
3.38/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Kristal clear, yellow hue. No head.

S: Like glacier clear water! (almost no smell).

T: Initially very well balanced, finishing slightly bitter.

M: Light body, moderate carbonation.

D: It doesn't get any easier than this!

Great summer/after-exercise beer.

Derek, Oct 11, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -7.2%

From notes, consumed during Calgary trip 9/27 - 10/1. I had no idea this was a Kristal Weizen when I had this, I though it may have been a Kolsch.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass by bartender a bright, clear, gold with a thin head, trace lacing as it is consumed. Carbonation bubbles seen dancing through the liquid.

Smell: Slightly hoppy, (herbal and grassy scent), minimal malt. I had no idea if this was to style or not when I rated it.

Taste: Clean, (low in taste), some malt with a slight hoppy/bitter finish. Just not a lot here. The bartender asked me if I wanted a slice of lemon with this as they normally served it that way. Not a chance I said. At least that lemon would have upped the taste on this some.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with good carbonation, crisp and lively.

Drinkability: An ok easy drinking beer. Worth a try, but would I have it again? Possibly, if its the best or the only thing available. I had one and moved on to something else.

BigRedN, Oct 06, 2005
2.58/5  rDev -16%

Effectively a slightly lemony flavored ale, without much wheat beer character. Straw in colour, not much head. Very little aroma to speak of with this one. A bit over-carbonated too.. Nice enoughon a hot summer day if your options are limited, but I'd prefer a real wiezen or wit given the opportunity.

fisherman34, Sep 04, 2005
3.68/5  rDev +19.9%

Served in a bottle with the snazzy new label, which somehow is a detraction from a beer, because beer as an institution finds credibility and enjoyment in history. But I digress.

Poured a bright gold with a wht head which reduced to a small ring with mild lacing on the glass. Mild hop bit on the nose, a hint of that bright Kristal wheat and a whiff of lemon.

Jumpy carbonation on the tounge, with a light mouthfeel that stops short of watery. Nice little hop bite, and a taste like bright sunshine - refreshing, full on fresh wheat and citrus notes throughout. A mild bitter finish.

A nice, refreshing beer. This was first non-macro brew I ever had, introduced by a friend. Drinkable, goes great with barbecue and warm weather.

niangelo, Aug 26, 2005
2.65/5  rDev -13.7%

341ml bottle poured in a mug.

Clear, nice light gold colour. Head foams up to 1/2 inch, white and bubbly. Head reduces to a thin circle around the outside.

Aroma is sweet, slightly malty with a hint of banana.

Taste is sweet at the swallow and almost tastes like a hefe for a second before giving way to an off, almost skunky taste. Aftertaste is acidic at the start of the glass, but by the end is almost non-existent.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with slight fizziness. Smooth.

This beer has all the elements of a nicely drinkable beer, but the taste is a big let down. Decent aroma, nice mouthfeel, disappointing taste. All in all I'm pretty disappointed in this. I'm glad I only have 2 out of a variety 12pack. I probably won't be drinking this anytime soon.

Noxious26, Jul 06, 2005
1.23/5  rDev -59.9%

Bottle: Poured a fizzy golden color ale with a small head with no retention. Aroma is comprised of weak wheat. Taste is again quite weak on wheat with a gross watery aftertaste. There is also some sourness that I could detect that wasn’t pleasant at all. Bad bad stuff.

Phyl21ca, May 26, 2005
3.1/5  rDev +1%

This beer is pretty good. I generally don't like wheat beers too much but this one is OK, not too exciting but very drinkable.

It's lighter than a lot of wheat beers. It is clear unlike many wheat beers.

The brew is a clear yellow with a modest head. I've had it from both bottle and tap. I liked it from the tap a little better than from the bottle.

The beer is light but not unflavorful. It is a good beer to drink if you want a beer that isn't too heavy, but not too light.

The smell is not remarkable, it not surprisingly smells like wheat and other cereals.

The beer is smoothe and goes down easy. It is very easy to sit down and drink several of these.

Tang07, Apr 12, 2005
2.05/5  rDev -33.2%

(Served in a pint dimple mug)

A- Yellow with slight orange hue very clear with a thin pure white head that lasted for a little bit

S- Thin clean aroma that smelled very crisp. I couldn't get any notes of hops, wheat or grain.

T- Light pale malt taste with a very light hop bitterness, no beady or fruity hints at all. Very clean finish.

M- Thin body with a light carbonation fuzziness and no tart aftertaste.

D- Very light beer that did show any fruitiness or any wheat flavor. I felt this was a kristal weizen that was trying to appeal to an American adjunct lager drinking market.

rhoadsrage, Mar 09, 2005