Big Rock Grasshopper Wheat Ale - Big Rock Brewery

Big Rock Brewery visit their website
Alberta, Canada

Kristalweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-04-2002

Light on the palate, yet packed with flavour and European hop aroma, with fruity or citrusy notes.

I CAN thank my lucky stars for good notes.

I got a rocky two fingers' worth of French Vanilla-colored head with great retention. Color was a beautiful golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a slight grainy sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium with a light sweetness on the tongue. Finish continued with a light sweetness. Lawnmower beer! (342 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A: Piss yellow with no head but slight lacing.
S: Aroma of pink grapefruit, bubble gum and banana.
T: Citrus taste, sour finish, with a hint of banana and bubble gum, slightly reminiscent of a wheat beer.
M: Light body for the style.
D: Interesting, but not great. (264 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +8%

I obtained this bottle from a sampler of Big Rock ales. For the sake of brevity, I'll classify my first encounter with the sampler (the XO Lager) as incredibly underwhelming. Let's hope Grasshopper jumps ahead of my previous Big Rock experiences...

This one, like the XO Lager, is very undercarbonated -- in my entirely amateur opinion. I have to pour from quite a height to get a reasonable amount of head on this one. And folks, let's remember that this is a *wheat* beer. Head should not be a problem. Appearance is exceptionally clear -- no discernable haze whatsoever. Color is a translucent golden yellow, and I might think this was a Bohemian lager until I had a whiff and a sip.

Aroma is a bit malty, and my feeble nose detects almost no hoppy character; while there is some wheat in the scent, it's not particularly assertive unless you inhale deeply. Muted would be a good way to describe the aroma.

Taste is mostly sweet, a bit of wheatiness, only a hint of bitterness from the hops -- aftertaste is a bit dull. Mouthfeel is somewhat more substantial than the XO Lager, which I appreciate (I prefer beers that have a bit more body than your average glass of tap water). While I'm not bowled over by the flavor, I'm not too offended either.

While I'd characterize this as a lackluster wheat beer, I'd hardly hesitate to choose between this one and the XO if forced to make the choice. This one is not great, but at least it's not awful. In fact, on a really hot summer afternoon, this would make a suitable light refreshment. I wouldn't go out of my way to score a six-pack of these, but between the Big Rock Traditional and the XO, this one lands smack in the middle taste-wise. (1,693 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I remember having this one ages ago in my undergrad days and thought I'd give this one another go. On draught at the University of Waterloo Grad House.

This may be related to my stance toward all kristals, but I must say the non-filtered look does nothing for me. I really prefer the opaque look. Clear golden, with a white head that vanishes a few sips in. Not a great start.

Smell is a bit hoppy, with only a mild hint of the weissbier mainstays of banana and citrus.

The taste doesn't interest me at all. Very thin and watery, not much in the way of robust weisse flavours. Added a lemon halfway though on recommendation The best way to put it would be a 'wheat beer lite'. Mouthfeel is also thin, decent carbonation. Uninspired.

Despite its faults, Grasshopper is indeed drinkable, and I could see myself having a few of these on a patio on a hot day. Nothing about the beer offends me - it's not skunky or poorly crafted - but then again, nothing impresses me about it either. If saying "nothing about it offends me" and "drinkable" are the highest praise I can muster, then it's probably worth moving on to something else. (1,136 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -2%

341ml bottle poured into 400ml dab glass sept28 2009

A clear golden yellow with a crazy amount of bubbles. It poured a thin head with no retention or lace

S grain and not much else

A little sweeter then the smell but not a whole lot going on here

M too much carbonation and as thick as water

D easy too drink like water is easy too drink

hard to avoid in Calgary, not that you need to avoid this beer, it's just nothing worth bragging about (446 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +11%

My dad recently decided to switch from Schooner to Grasshopper so this is why it's infront of me right now.

Pours clear pale golden with less than a finger of white bubbly head that quickly reduces to a thin ring that leaves no lacing. Strong carbonation visible.

Smell is sweet, slightly fruity, bready malts and some very subtle bubblegum and banana. Despite being somewhat underpronounced, this beer seems pretty inviting.

Bread, butter and wheat upfront in the taste followed by a light citrus tang and a hint of banana. Seems like a nice change to the regular macro.

Mouthfeel is smooth, crisp with a wet finish. Highly drinkable and very refreshing.

Overall, a decent brew. I'd much rather prefer a nice tasty hefeweizen but this is a great quaffable macro that deviates from that crowd enough to make me willing to buy a 6er of this on a hot day. (858 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +3%

Picked up at the NSLC.

Poured into a glass results in a clear slightly dark yellow with two fingers of head. Head somewhat quickly evaporated, leaving a thin film on the top. Minor lacing left on the glass.

Clear scent of wheat and a bit of malt.

Taste starts with some sweet malts and ends with a bit of wheat. Slight sweet aftertaste. Overall very smooth with a wet finish.

Overall, it is a good beer for drinking, just nothing out of the ordinary for enjoying. A step above a drinking beer in comparison to a macro beer. (527 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a 355-ml can into a pint glass.

Appearance - golden yellow colour with sharp clarity and lively carbonation. Very little head except for surface bubbles despite an aggressive pour.

Smell - fresh, sweet, creamy scent of malt and bread. Almost a brown sugar and butter element.

Taste - tasty, not too sweet, balanced and a velvety light malt finish. My particular can was pretty cold and the flavours have begun to open up as it warmed.

Mouthfeel - pretty smooth. Big Rock offerings look like their very active but they turn out to be big softies. Not bad at all.

Drinkability - you can pound away on a few of these without any problem. A good beer for the summertime evenings. (687 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -16.3%

A - poured from a 341ml bottle into a tulip glass. It pours a clear straw yellow and has a quickly vanishing white head.

S - sweet malt with lemon and hay

T - sweet malt with sweet lemon on the finish

M - thin with medium carbonation

D - highly drinkable, just not very interesting. This is very close to an adjunct lager in taste. (335 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +12%

Got this one from the beer store on Upper James. Traded my empties in for a six pack of this stuff. This is my first kristalweizen, but I'm a big fan of Witbiers so lets see if this other style of wheat beer does it for me.

Appearance: Unsurprisingly filtered as it boasts a crystal clear gold color with good carbonation in the body. It poured with a finger of head, but it quickly dissipated and did not retain very well and did not lace.

Smell: I'm getting a nice wheat smell from this one, with a touch of lemongrass, cloves and just a hint of honey and banana in the background. Pretty good stuff, but could be a bit stronger, although it didn't take much warming to come out.

Taste: Starts with a fruity malt taste which then shifts into a much more bitter wheat, clove and floral hop taste, that thankfully quickly eases out to a nice spice and clove taste with just a hint of banana that somewhat tames the wheat aftertaste. I honestly wish that banana was just a little stronger and the middle of the drink was a bit tamer.

Mouthfeel: The beer has some difficulty transitioning between tastes, but solid carbonation until the very end where it starts to die down. The aftertaste lingers, but it's not unpleasant but more banana and less wheat is needed. I will say this, it does leave the mouth wanting to have more.

Drinkability: Well it sits very well and the carbonation offers no problems. A very refreshing beer, that is for sure and the only thing that prevents it from a better score is the slightly excessive wheat aftertaste.

Final Thoughts: Well, after trying this I can see why this style hasn't really taken off as well as Wits or Hefs. It's a bit tame by wheat beer standards, and too strange by guzzler standards. Still, I enjoyed the experience and it would be a good buy for going camping, which I think is the way this beer is marketed, given the name. I'd pick up a six pack for the weekend, just for a change of pace. (1,951 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours with an extremely small, white head, with virtually no lacing and a clear, yellow color. As for aroma...doesn't really smell like much, to be honest, let alone wheat. Body and texture are light and thin, with average carbonation. Duration of the flavor is extremely short... swallow it and it's gone. I can't really taste any wheat, either... tastes very light, almost like a light macro beer. Overall it's ok for drinking on a hot day, but if you want a real wheat ale, try something else. (496 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

355mL can with no freshness date poured into weizen.

Pours a clear yellow-gold with lots of visible carbonation. Head is white, bubbly and small, with poor retention.

Aroma finds a mild lemon hiding behind a more generic honey-sweetness and light hops.

Taste is mostly a plain malt flavour up front with slightly fruity hops on the finish. Very subtle clove/banana taste hidden behind the bready malts.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean, with nice carbonation.

This is a remarkably boring wheat beer, but acceptable as a Canadian craft alternative to AALs as a post yard-work beer. (578 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +25.2%

Had on tap at Kings Head in Winnipeg. I asked them if it was a pale ale or ipa (because of the hop in hopper) and they said it was that mixed with a wheat beer. Well they were kind of right... but from the first sip I knew this wasn't near a pale ale or ipa.

Poured into pint glass.

Color is a straw golden yellow. Little head, but good retention leaving slight lace.

Aroma is of honey and floral hops. Some cloves and dried fruit as well. Taste is cramel and fruity zest. The hops are pretty fruity as well.

Mouthfeel is kind of bitter, but it evens out quickly and goes down easy. Very slight dry aftertaste.

Overall not to bad, it was neat getting to try a new beer. It wasn't too hoppy and it wasn't too malty. Very easy to drink. (741 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

355ml can. I only seem to drink this when I'm elsewhere in the province, usually Calgary (the Arts Hotel downtown comes specifically to mind), which I attribute to the 'When in Rome' phenomenon. This time, it's across the border in BC mountain country, and another can destined for that apres-ski hot tub sensibility.

The beer pours a crystal clear pale golden straw colour, with lots of loosely foamy off-white head, which leaves a low ring of minor shore-side lacing around the glass as it lazily sinks away.

It smells of decently prominent breakfast cereal grain, wheat and barley duly represented, with an ever so slight banana/cloves essence. Wheaty, full stop, and hardy in its bearing.
The taste is a pleasantly prominent grainy malt, of the same ilk as the aroma - bready and wheaty in a sturdy sort of manner, a softly sweet, tame floral hop crispness following gamely up, with a lingering, hollow spice perception, one somewhat redolent of spicy cloves.

There is just a tad too much carbonation, but to no great ill effect, the body an adequate medium-light weight, and smooth enough, I suppose. It finishes generally on the sweet side, the kids' breakfast cereal wheatiness holding sway.

A decent enough Americanized wheat ale, nothing all that complex, and worthy enough of multiple indulgences, given the right conditions when and/or if you find yourself adrift in Wild Rose country. And one other thing - I looove saying the name of this beer with an Aussie accent. I just do. (1,495 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +13%

Poured a golden colour with a cloudy, lumpy head and some slight lacing.
Smell was fruity, citrus, some faint hops. Taste was again fruits, lots of citrus and some banana, spices, good balance, wheat is apparent.
Medium bodied and a soft to medium carbonation level.

Notes: A little bland for my liking, would've liked a little more complexity, but very refreshing and highly drinkable (387 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +23.3%

Appearance: This beers body is a transparent gold color. It has average lace and head.

Smell: It has a grassy and sweet malty smell but not much for hops.

Taste: There are a lot of flavors to this beer it is grainy, sweet and a mild semi crisp bitter flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with average carbonation.

Drinkability: I liked this one. It is crisp clean and has a good flavor to it. (394 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

A- I gave this a hard pour and it didn't really produce much of a head, other than a slightly better than thin foam that quickly dissapears into nothing more than a half ring around the glass. It's clear with a rather nice looking golden color with a very slight orange hue.

S- Fairly mild aromas in general, but I detected some grainly smells, along with some malts, and a bit of clean fruitiness. Not sure if I detect the banana....

T- I really like it! It has a good predominant malty character, however what prevents this from getting full points is the lack of the wheat flavor that I would have expected. There is a very mild hop presence in this beer that isn't really detectable until you get the aftertaste. It does offer some muted citrus flavors of lemon and/or orange, which would be enhanced by a wedge of either I'm sure....as well, there are some soft fruits on the palate, perhaps the banana that is supposed to be here! It is a very clean tasting wheat beer!

M- Nothing much of note here....it is light bodied, but refreshing. There is a fairly high carbonation level in this beer. It seemed creamier when first taking a drink but then thins out on the finish.

D- I first tried this at a local bowling alley and I have to admit, I really enjoyed it so I bought some and continue to like this. It's not as pronounced as an unfiltered wheat beer but I think this is easy to drink, has enough flavor to enjoy over an evening and would especially be great during a hot summer as a staple. I do recommend this and I think Big Rock does a great job on just about all of their products! (1,600 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Served from a 341 ml brown twist off into a pint glass. No freshness dates.

A- Light gold, with a crackling white cap that dimminishes to a small ring around the glass.

S- Malty and a fair amount of grainy aromas.

T- Slight malt, with a very grainy/grassy flavor and little to no wheat whatsoever, slight bitterness in the finish along the lines of a club soda possibly from the aggressive carbonation.

M- fairly carbonated, light in body.

D- An easy drinker. Summer brew.

Overall this was the first Big Rock brew I tried and was a favorite of mine when I first started to explore the craft beer scene. But nowadays my tastes have expanded quite a bit and this really is nothing more than an over-priced beer ( $12.25 a 6'er) and a beer that is slightly better than Labatts or Molsons. Good intro beer. (808 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -6.3%

A: pours a crystal clear, bright gold with almost no head and lots of carbonation bubbles. leaves no lace.

S: very subtle banana on the nose with a bit of grainy hops and a touch of malt.

T: tastes pretty much like a lager, grainy and slight malty sweetness and the slightest bit of spice - very little banana or clove flavours present. A bit of honey on the linger.

M: light and slightly creamy, quite crisp and a spicy, dry finish.

D: not so sure about this one - it's basically a lager with very subdued weizen characteristics. I guess that's the style, but still very average. Easy to drink, but I wont be looking for this one again. (641 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +16.6%

As the sun gets warmer the Grasshopper becomes more of an option on tap with a slice of lemon. This is a clean crisp Am Wheat with decent finish and great drinkability. Don't kid yourself this is no sipper or complex ale. However unlike the XO lager this one IMHO nails the style. (280 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -7.6%

Probably my first kristalweisen. Clear, straw-amberish. No head or lacings in the glass.

A little bit of detergent type lemon on the nose. Not much else.

This tastes like a macro lager with a bit of a bitter lemon twist. Can't find the wheat other than the citrus character. Having some trouble deciding whether this has some west coast hops or is just overly carbonated, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Really don't enjoy fizzy beer, which this is. Meant to be drank ice-cold on a hot day, I wouldnt have it otherwise. (523 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +14%

Average appearance. Pale golden colour with moderate head. Grassy smell with a hint of wheat.

Taste is very sweet with a hint of lemon and grain. Very obscure taste of wheat. Highly carbonated and watery aftertaste, light body.

In terms of a wheat beer, this is not very good, but it is refreshing in a similar way macro-lager's are. Can imagine this tasting good on a hot day. (379 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a light straw clear yellow with decent white head that turns to a 1/8 collar and mild lacing.Not much in the nose here,very faint grains,grass,musty kinda odor.Taste is not much either,a touch bitterness and musty grass that leaves a heavy dull dry feel in the mouth,medium body with a flatness to it.Not much to reccomend here,got this one in the 15 can variety pk,like the warthog and the ale way better than this one. (426 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -17.3%

Waitress told me this one was a hefe, which was a touch confusing to start. Pours a copper color with a bit of head that dissolves fairly fast. Strangely crystal clear for a wheat beer - my first hint of a problem. I later realized it was a kristal, so I gave it a repreive. Nose is mostly malt with a touch of wheat and lemon. Pretty weak. Taste is stronger, although still dominated by lemon and malt (not wheat, as is generally the pattern). Body is medium, average, with strong carbonation. Overall, very mediocre, although not particularly offensive. Wouldn't want to have to many. (586 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured clear, light golden without any obvious sign that it's a wheat beer. Very fizzy with an off-white head, half a finger. The retention was not bad at all. Wet grass / damp basement odour. Unpleasant taste, bitter / sour effect. I tried to put my finger on the aftertaste but kept wondering if they use real grasshoppers in this beer .... Truth be told, I was glad to get this tasting over with and chose not to finish the bottle. I've had other products from this brewery that I thought were perfectly okay; as for this beer, I would not recommend it. (556 characters)

Big Rock Grasshopper Wheat Ale from Big Rock Brewery