Big Rock Warthog Ale - Big Rock Brewery

Big Rock Warthog AleBig Rock Warthog Ale

Big Rock Brewery visit their website
Alberta, Canada

English Brown Ale |  4.50% ABV

Malty with a hint of toffee balanced with very evident hop and followed by a clean finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-04-2002)
4.55/5  rDev +44.4%

This reminded me of why for a long time, cream ales were my favourite style of beer (before I found Unibroue, that is...).

Poured from the pitcher with one finger of head and a fairly deep red colour reminiscent of Smithwick's. The head fades slowly, with eventual lacing across the top. Smell is a little sweet and a little malty. The taste is sweet, fruity, and just a little bit on the dry side of average. This stuff really is a banner example of a cream ale, putting my previous standards to bed.

If you ever find it, try it!

the42ndtourist, Oct 28, 2002

Alberta_Beer_Guy, Jul 16, 2012

DarrenBrule, Jul 17, 2014

graybayou, Nov 30, 2011

Anyportinastorm, Jun 14, 2014

Ah yes, my old friend the Warthog... This was our staple throughout my school days. I'm working from notes, though I've had this so many times that I hardly need them.

As always, it poured clear and pale coppery brown with a nice head that dropped to a thin and lingering foam that is well supported by the carbonation. It is perfectly clear.

I never did get how people were put off by the aroma. I find grainy malt and caramel sweetness with some herbal and vegetable undertones, and nothing unpleasant or unexpected from a cream ale.

The flavour is light and bitter hoppy, with some maltiness becoming apparent over time. In the usual cream ale fashion, it's pretty mild, but I've always found it to be well balanced and interesting enough.

In the mouth, it's light, smooth and easy drinking. The carbonation is lively and long-lasting, and overall I find this very refreshing.

Garin, Jul 12, 2003

This is very nice and I would recomend it to anybody..The body pours an amber/red cross with limited head and heavy glass ring and is medium light...
Taste is mellow, semi sweet and fruity, oranges actually comes to mind...it does have a hop continuance which I particularly enjoyed.
IMHO this beer should be served well chilled...

Shiloh, Feb 19, 2003

maclean25, Jun 30, 2014

Melomanemusher, Aug 19, 2012

ZachT, Oct 11, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 650ml bomber
Pours clear, medium copper, with a decent, foamy head that recedes promptly. Aroma is of caramel malt, with some herbal undertones. The taste is wonderfully delicate caramel, which matches the aroma. The sweetness steps aside to make way for a pleasant, nutty finish. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated, creamy, and slick.
Notes: I have had this many times over the years, and always found it to be a capable, if not spectacular ale. For some reason the bombers that I had this week were exceptional. The delicate balance between the sweetish malts, and the nuttiness made it a most pleasing brew. The flavours are subtle, but very nice.

lipschitz, Jul 02, 2003

Tivlavrie, May 18, 2014
3.6/5  rDev +14.3%

marcusR111, Aug 15, 2014
3.55/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

20oz pint. An old favorite that I haven't had in years, available on tap now at one of my smaller go-to beer hideaways in Edmonton.

This beer appears a clear, bright medium copper amber colour, with a finger or so of frothy, filmy, and soapy white head, which leaves some spotty, streaky lace around the glass as it quickly recedes.

It smells of bready pale and caramel malt, reduced brown sugar, and very mild earthy, weedy hops. The taste is more of that thin, wet breadiness, sweet in that particular Big Rock manner, ethereal earthy yeast, an echo of molasses, and some still very tame floral hops.

The carbonation is quite soft, barely a tic arising throughout, the body medium-light in weight, and mostly smooth, with a certain clammy, grainy edge intruding a bit. It finishes off-dry, some innocuous bready caramel malt lingering all by its lonesome.

Just as I remember it - an easy-drinking, not overly complicated (re: plain) mild ale, one that puts on full display Big Rock's core competencies. Now to complete this little ode to nostalgia - if only there were still 5 cent hot wing Wednesdays as well!

biboergosum, Sep 15, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +12.7%

This beer is not far off of Big Rock's Traditional Ale to me...

Pours a deep copper brown colour, with little to no head, slight lace sticks to glass momentarily. A roasted malt, slightly hoppy nose, brooding, autumnal, it's getting to that time of year.

Taste is a thin hop sweetness that finishes a bit bitter, but not too much. Smoother than their traditional ale, but less complex and less tangy. Goes down smooth, soft mouthfeel, a bit thin but a decent, drinkable session ale.

trevorwideman, Aug 25, 2005
3.53/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my third Big Rock review. I have had this beer before, but I was too drunk to really remember what it was like (though I don't remember it being too unusual).

It pours a medium copper/amber colour. Held up to light it is quite clear, but seems a bit darker just sitting on the table. There is a little creamy head that settles down to a nice thin layer over the beer.

The aroma is quite sweet and smooth. It reminds me of an English "draught" ale-in-a-can-type beer. There is some light maltiness, and thankfully no adjuncty aroma. The sweetness is most prominent.

It is quite carbonated off the bat. The malt flavours slowly develop in the front of the mouth and mingle with the sweetness. The matliness becomes more prominent and rolls across the tongue leaving a slight hoppy bitterness.This is a very smooth beer.

Overall, I quite liked this! It would definitely be a great beer to have at a pub on tap or something like that.

evlu1441, Jul 08, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +12.1%

A slightly better than average for a micro brew from Big Rock, not world class, but not unpleasant. It has a very smooth descent down the gullet which makes a perfectly fine session beer. The massive head receded to a pale gauze and there is not a lot of carbonation in the body. I don't dislike this beer as much as I might have expected.

shamus, Dec 17, 2006
Photo of
3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Mar 05, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

A- Upon pourning, I was impressed with the coloring, which is orange/reddish/brown. This was the only thing I really liked about it, as there was virtually no head, and what did appear quickly fizzes out to a very thin ring around the glass. There is also no lacing to speak of. The name of the beer and labeling is quite unique and I like that so this area receives moderate marks.

S- The aromas are quite light, which I guess should be expected with this style. There is a dominant malt smell, with toffee and molasses notes. I also detected a faint undernote of bananas, which I enjoyed. Still lots to smell here as opposed to the lagers that this is made to compete against.

T- Lots of assertive malts here, and other than the aforementioned toffee and molasses notes, there isn't much else here to describe. The finish lends a mild hop bitterness, that doesn't really hang around on the palate. Rather a simple tasting ale, but it's not bad!

M- This is rather light, which I'm not used to in an ale. It is however refreshing, with the heavier carbonation and the flavors just kind of roll through the palate and then are gone.

D- I gave this area full marks, b/c this is meant to be a competitor to a lager, but with a little more and I think that it does the job. I'd be perfectly happy to enjoy this particular beer throughout an evening with friends and think it's a nice crisp ale. Would do the job after a hard days work and could even make a nice after dinner beer, with the sweeter flavors.

ChrisCage, Jul 26, 2008

cdwil, Dec 28, 2011

joefinnigan15, Sep 19, 2012

ScottWestmaas, Apr 07, 2012

Vyronian, Aug 18, 2012

KStark, May 30, 2013
3.45/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Recently the recipient of a makeover like the rest of Big Rock's regular lineup, now available in Big Rock's new bottles decked out in a new label that still depicts the namesake animal in full regalia. Poured into an English pub glass, this "mild" is indeed quite light in color, an amber-brown with a few inches of beige head. Smells ... sweet. Faint caramel and molasses are discernible and little else. Palate is similarly mellow, subdued, and sweet, with some toffee, light baker's cacao, sultana raisin, and vanilla that recall Big Rock Traditional (Trad) but the total package is dryer and rather woodier than the latter brew, with some Fuggles type hop character managing to keep its head above the sweetness. There's also a cherry pipe tobacco hint of floral-fruitiness and the carbonation is on the heavy side (often the case with this brewery), which cuts the sweetness and works with the thin body. I dunno ... Perhaps I am cutting this lightly flavored "just a notch above quality macro" brew too much slack. I don't feel its as bad as some other reviewers suggest, but on the other hand its not going to become a staple in my fridge. Yet another example of a beer the brewer calls a mild while the beer fan base deem it a brown. ABV and flavor profile put it in mild territory if you ask me.

CalgaryFMC, Mar 30, 2014