Big Rock Warthog Ale - Big Rock Brewery

Big Rock Brewery visit their website
Alberta, Canada

English Brown Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-04-2002

Malty with a hint of toffee balanced with very evident hop and followed by a clean finish.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
2.87/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

It seems like only a few years ago Big Rock started marketing Warthog as a cream ale (must be due to the low hop presence). It's been around seemingly forever, part of their original line up (along with McNally's Extra Ale, and Traditional Ale) that has lasted the years to this day. Always struck me as their most mediocre offering, a cross between Trad and one of their pales, but it always worked in a pinch. A not very surprising homecoming for me sampling it once again.

The head is white and creamy, but disappears shortly, although still leaves a ring all the way down the glass. The colour is the epitome of a fine clear copper ale, big points for that, very nice to look at. However the nose is rather funky at first, really turned me off. After the initial reaction it melds into a decent sweet caramel scent, with a slight scent of floral hops. Flavour is as mediocre as I remember it to be, kind of watery with a small hoppy aftertaste, which doesn't leave much of an impression at all. A shame, considering the ale looks so damned good. It's a decent step up as an alternative to most macros on the market, very light and unthreatening in its drinkability, but there is really no flavour to speak of. I love Big Rock, but this is like the shy, quiet, and very forgetable member of its line. (1,306 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +9.8%

Ok comes in a 11.5 oz brown long neck with one ugly looking Warthog on front ( well aren't they all?)..says "traditional Canadian Ale"
OK after pouring into my glass .i observe a rather handsome looking beer a nicely proportioned off white head ( thick and creamy) it shrinks but lingers long. The beer is a nice crystal clear chesnut colour..quite nice.
mmmmm I liked rthe smell of this beer some nicelly roasted chocolaty malts invade my olifactory system,,theres some flowery undertones also.
Strange..after the aroma I was expecting a full bodied ale..but the taste is too sweet and watery thin..its not at all bad..just a dissapointment after the smell.
With the wateryness..the feel on the palate is average.
Though its too thin its still a drinkable ale. (766 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -7.5%

This is a beer that advertises itself poorly.

No, I'm not talking ad campaign. I'm talking *smell*. (I'd call it "scent" if it didn't stink so much!)

How do they tell, down at the brewery, that this stuff hasn't gone bad? Because it smells OK?

Warthog is otherwise a fine beer. Its taste is somewhat pungent, but it the good sense of the word "pungent". It is full-bodied, attractive to look at, and a fine quaff. All told, one-and-three-quarters thumbs up.

(Later: I had a buddy sniff my warthog [no, don't go there!]. He tells me the scent is in my imagination. Mind you, he didn't like the taste as much as I did, so I guess my rating still stands.) (664 characters)

This is very nice and I would recomend it to anybody..The body pours an amber/red cross with limited head and heavy glass ring and is medium light...
Taste is mellow, semi sweet and fruity, oranges actually comes to mind...it does have a hop continuance which I particularly enjoyed.
IMHO this beer should be served well chilled... (333 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +1.3%

Sweet smell of caramel in this very thin looking brew...not what I call a Cream Ale. Pours with close to no head at all and for the head you get, well, it doesn't stay. The taste isn't what you'd expect from smelling it...nothing sweet here! A small but apparent bitterness seems as the only thing anouncing it's presence in your mouth. Type of beer that would probably be better on tap through a "Creamer" but in bottle...better call it a regular American Brown Lager.
This isn't a bad brew, it just doesn't have any Cream appeal to it! (542 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +46.6%

This reminded me of why for a long time, cream ales were my favourite style of beer (before I found Unibroue, that is...).

Poured from the pitcher with one finger of head and a fairly deep red colour reminiscent of Smithwick's. The head fades slowly, with eventual lacing across the top. Smell is a little sweet and a little malty. The taste is sweet, fruity, and just a little bit on the dry side of average. This stuff really is a banner example of a cream ale, putting my previous standards to bed.

If you ever find it, try it! (540 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last