Big Rock Lime - Big Rock Brewery

poor

Big Rock Brewery visit their website
Alberta, Canada

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Light body with slight lime aroma and flavour.

(Beer added by: IronDjinn on 07-01-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by EsoxLucius:
2.33/5  rDev -3.7%

well, i was on a lime beer storm this last weekend, just to get it out of my system. this one was given to me as well, like the bud-light lime i had, except i didn't trade anything for it.

i like big rock, particulary mcnally's, trad, and warthog, but this... is not their best work.

A: looks like bud-light lime, a bit lighter. overall pale and not appealing, heavy fizz, a head that's there and then gone!

S: more natural than Minhas Creek lime, it doesn't have that 'fake' lime smell, nor is it metalic.

T: not good, but not a train wreck. has more beer hints than the others in this class.

M: thin and watery, heavy carbonation. not inspiring.

D: if it was 30*C out it'd do.

EsoxLucius, Oct 06, 2009
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Mar 05, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -7%

Well, I've seen this around lately, in 12 packs only, and there's no way in hell I'm buying 12 of these (potential downside just too high), I don't disrespect my friends that much. Lo and behold, after a late movie on Whyte Ave, the chosen post-show dissection watering hole has this on tap. Although I couldn't tell at first, as the Alley Kat taps were distracting me, and all I could see was the word "LIME" shouting out from a tap down the bar. Upon verification that it wasn't Bud Light's 'version', I snapped up a pint. My girlfriend got a Blanche de Chambly - no, Mr. Waiter, sir, I'm just missing my metaphorical pants...this has been happening a lot lately - a side effect of Beer Advocacy...

Anyways, this pint appears a very, very pale golden colour, with lots of rising bubbles, like cider, with a wisp of thin soapy white head, and a smidgen of lace. It smells of very faint white cracker malt, and light candy lime flavouring. The taste at first, is, really, nothing. Zip. Until my senses register what I'm tasting - and I get some slightly sour lime citrus Fruit Loops! There's a barely detectable underlying cereal malt character, to maintain that tenuous connection to beer. The carbonation is too high, providing a bit of a burn, the body is thin enough to appear practically non-existent, and it finishes with more of that zany fake-lime Toucan Sam cereal essence. This is obviously not hard to drink, albeit for insufficient reasons, but would probably work on a hot summer afternoon; however, I imagine that there'll still be lots on the shelves when those days run short.

I'm sure there's a valid marketing decision behind this latest offering from Big Rock, but also hope that they didn't hurt themselves on the way from the boardroom to the bandwagon. C'mon guys, you're using up your nine lives more quickly than I would have ever imagined back in the McNally's/Chinook/Trad heyday.

biboergosum, Jul 11, 2009
2.23/5  rDev -7.9%

A - clear straw yellow, fizzy head immediately disappeared completely
S - adjunct and some light metallic, lime is not detectable
T - adjunct and light leafy hops, very mild lime citrus is barely detectable, not much to this one
M - light, watery, thin, but easy enough to pour down your gullet
T - thankfully the north american lime beer craze was short lived, I imagine there is enough demand to keep a few cases of this on shelves for a while longer, but like most in the genre its not worth your time

joemcgrath27, Dec 04, 2012
2.5/5  rDev +3.3%

cletetron, Mar 02, 2012

Am I the first person to review this stuff? Sigh.... So the lime beer craze has hit Alberta now, although it's curious how almost no one remembers when Labatt came out with a lime lager a decade ago that then fizzled into obscurity. Have we finally evolved our tastebuds to be able to appreciate such a flavour profile, or is this simply a brand new low? Philosophical queries aside, let's check it out.

Pours out a transparent straw colour, fizzy white head that disappears once it settles.

A bit of bready, grainy malt at first in the aroma, but after a short while it predominantly becomes all lime citrus zest. Refreshing, but nothing really enticing all the same.

Do I win a prize if I guess this is just Big Rock Light with an infusion of lime? Or if I simply point it out? So then, this tastes like Big Rock Light with a small infusion of lime, no more, no less. Mild bready malt at first, mild zing of lime on the finish to replace the hops.

Mouthfeel is light and spritzy, it suits the style, but some extra body wouldn't hurt it either.

It's okay for what it is, but I won't spend any more money on this, especially since I've made a better lime cerveza myself years ago. Nothing original or noteworthy here. In my personal opinion it's time for Big Rock to quit goofing around with mediocre fad beers and bring back Magpie (I promise to buy a 6 pack at least every two days!) or come out with something of a higher calibre and quality, and get back their street cred again and the higher esteem they once held. Unless it's the shareholders themselves who are buying up this sort of stuff, then it's a win-win situation, but I won't support it.

IronDjinn, Jul 01, 2009
3.03/5  rDev +25.2%

Well Bud Light Lime has been big here in BC this summer. And now it seems the big Rock Brewery is cashing in on the craze.

When I tried BLL last weekend I found it to be very un-beer like. almost like an alcoholic sprite or something. The Big Rock version comes off a bit more beery. but only slightly so. BLL definitely has more lime flavored juice in it, so maybe thats why.

To be honest I wasn't very impressed with this. I'd take Grasshopper over this any day, in fact I'll probably never buy this again. Not to say it was horrible. It's light and easy to drink as one might expect. Maybe I'm just biased against this beer style.

BreWolf, Aug 20, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +44.6%

Alberta_Beer_Guy, Jul 16, 2012
2.75/5  rDev +13.6%

RedAleMan, Dec 06, 2011

mdevonshire, Jan 15, 2012

355 ml can (as pictured).
I tried Bud Light Lime over a year ago in the States..now the BLL craze has finally hit Alberta/Canada. Should have known eveyone would be on the bandwagon.
Pours a thin pale straw color, I think this is even lighter than Bud Light. White foam that goes up then down. Smell has a fresh lime aroma, not as strong or artificial as I was expecting. Taste is as expected, a light lager, slightly grainy, with lime. Mouthfeel is light and fizzy, body is light and watery.
This is kind of a hard one to review, fitting in the "it is what it is" category. It is a light lager, with lime, meant to be light (color and body) - do you mark it down for not being big and bold? It is meant to fill a niche market, which it does.

BigBry, Jul 14, 2009
3.05/5  rDev +26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A bunch of firsts with this one - first light beer review, first lime beer review, and of course my first Big Rock review. I have bought Big Rock's beers for years, despite the fact that I've never sat down and analyzed them. They produce consistently approachable beers that are widely available at a reasonable price. This can of Big Rock Lime came in a variety pack, one of a few beers in the pack I had never tried before.

Pours a pale golden color with a half-finger of foamy head that thins out to almost nothing within 30 seconds. Resembles ginger ale. I've seen worse light beers, and I guess for the style it looks above average. The smell has a strong aroma of... almost nothing, with maybe some typical adjunct odors and sourness from the lime.

The taste is extremely crisp and clean. Like club soda, with a little bit of sweet and sourness from the lime. The lime flavour is very subdued and not a dominating factor. It does have a slight "beery-ness" to it, but frankly it resembles soda water more than beer. High carbonation - no surprise there - with a thin, watery mouthfeel. Boring, but appropriate for a light beer. The lack of metallic or adjunct aftertaste makes this slightly above average in the category, I think.

It's pretty much what you'd expect, given the category of beer and the brewer. It's a respectable effort like all of Big Rock's beers, but unless you really enjoy light or lime beer it probably isn't worth your time. Since I don't particularly enjoy either, I will probably not buy this again, but if someone handed it to me I would be thankful it was not a Coors or Keystone Light.

thehyperduck, May 12, 2011
2.6/5  rDev +7.4%

Ok, I've never tried Bud Lime before, so nothing to compare with. It is really hot outside these days, so I figured it would be appropriate to try this now.
Pours very pale golden yellow with small white bubbly head which dissipated really quickly. Smell - malty, not as much lime as I'd expect, slightly grassy, pretty faint overall. Taste - cheap lager with artificial taste of lime in there/ Honestly, I'd rather squeeze lime into Grasshopper and drink it. I guess it is somewhat refreshing and easy drinking, but I don't think it worth to be a separate "type of beer". I don't think I'll buy this again. And I'd rather see Big Rock brewing tripel or DIPA..

Voonder, Jul 20, 2009
2.53/5  rDev +4.5%

The CANQuest CANtinues with another CANadian offering! CAN you dig it?

An aggressive pour netted me a finger of foamy, bone-white head with low retention. Color was a very pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was slightly sweet with a good bit of lime zest/tartness evident. If nothing else, it made my mouth water a little. Mouthfeel was very thin, almost watery with a light lime tang on the tongue. I might have done better squeezing a lime into a Corona at this rate. This was along the lines of soda pop. Finish evidenced a little bit stronger flavor of lime, but overall it was just kind of weak. Refreshing on a hot day, but so are many brands of pop. It would be a waste of cooler space to haul this around.

woodychandler, Jun 02, 2010
1.5/5  rDev -38%

bumchilly25, May 11, 2012
1.9/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured with barely any head that dissipated almost immediately; overly carbonated; a bright, clear yellow color. No lacing. Smell was of corn and lime... not good. Very thin on the palate, with lots of carbonation, and a gross finish of lime. And the taste, of course... lime. Pretty horrible... sure, it's a cold beer on a hot day, but it just tastes like lime-flavored soda water or something. I guess it's great for people who don't like beer... but really bad for people that do.

berley31, Jul 18, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +44.6%

joefinnigan15, Sep 19, 2012
2.58/5  rDev +6.6%

I reached into my Big Rock Summer Mixer pack and pulled this one out... Hardly the gem of the bunch, but by no means terrible.

A - Pours a light golden colour with a thin layer of head. Typical of other Big Rock beers, it quickly dissipates and leaves no lacing.

S - A bit of a light wheaty scent, combined with a mild citrus lime. Definitely mild scent overall, nothing really stands out, nothing all that impressive.

T - Of the few lime beers that I've tried, this is by far the most mild, which is actually preferable (IMO). Tastes much like a light lager, with a bit of a bready malt flavour with the hint of lime coming through on the finish.

M - This is pretty light on the palette, and is reasonably carbonated. The light feel makes it easy to drink.

D - Though I'm not a huge fan of the lime beers, this one is quite tasty and very easily drinkable on a hot summers day. I'd choose this over Bud Light Lime any day.

andrenaline, Apr 24, 2010
2.13/5  rDev -12%

341ml bottle poured into pint glass 10/3/12

A pale straw yellow with a fizzy cola like head that's gone in seconds and leaves no lace

S all I really smell is cheap lager and fake lime

T pop like lime, not as bad as some lime beers I've had but it tastes fake and I have no use for it

M watery but well carbonated, fairly clean aftertaste

O nothing special that's for sure, some real lime flavors may help but this one just doesn't do it for me

I'm glad to say I've seen sales of this stuff, and all lime beers just plummet since the craze, don't bother with this one

wordemupg, Mar 12, 2012
3.33/5  rDev +37.6%

Came as part of the 15 mixed pack and I kinda dreaded opening it as I thought It might be as bad as Bud Light Lime. Nope, it is better in that it tastes like real beer and the lime flavour is only there a little and doesn't add an artificial flavour like Bud Lime. Is it a good beer? Of course not as it is meant to be opened at the lake in the hot summer sun. Drinkable for sure and not a total drainpour like Jackrabbit was but if Big Rock was a craft brewer like they say in their packaging why are they making beers like this when they could be making Magpie ?( sales of course)

canucklehead, May 31, 2010

pharmerdoc, Aug 27, 2014

ZachT, Oct 11, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -7%

ScottWestmaas, Apr 07, 2012
1.85/5  rDev -23.6%

355ml can poured into a 16oz pint glass.

A - Pours fizzy and light yellow, surprisingly light for a light lager even. Head fizzles out in a matter of seconds, no lacing whatsoever.

S - Slightly more aromatic than tap water. No hops, and almost no malt either. Artificial lime comparable to that of the aroma from a lime-scented cleaning product, and even that's remarkably mild. Terrible.

T - Follows the nose to a T. Watered down adjunct grains with a dash of artificial lime. Not too unlike tap water, overall.

M - Fizzy and watery. Bad.

D - A new low for Big Rock. I suppose they need to make some product that caters to an audience outside of the craft beer crowd, but there's no reason for a beer this poor.

Converge, May 09, 2012
1.44/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I've never been a fan of Big Rock. Back in the day it used to be THE craft brewery, but now that so many different beers are available to us, a lot of Big Rock beers just seem like overhyped macros nowadays.

This one is no exception. Big Rock Lime is one of the Brewery's flagship beers that you can find in most any Alberta liquor store. I'm not a big fan of the light lime beer genre myself, but I've delved into it enough times to know what I like and what I don't. Unfortunately, with much respect to Big Rock's other products, this is the worst fucking beer I have ever tasted (until I got my hands on boxer watermelon).

Like, it's incredibly watered down, and the lime flavour tastes really artificial and is pretty weak as well. I understand that they were going for the "beer first" angle with this one, but the beer part is way, way watered down. It feels like soda water in my mouth with just a mild lime flavour.

If you want a decent light lime beer, try the Moosehead Lime. This just doesn't cut it even in a market that is oversaturated with shitty light lime beers.

Olek4374, Jun 01, 2013