1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Big Rock Lime - Big Rock Brewery

Big Rock LimeBig Rock Lime

poor

Big Rock Brewery visit their website
Alberta, Canada

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Light body with slight lime aroma and flavour.

(Beer added by: IronDjinn on 07-01-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

pharmerdoc, Aug 27, 2014
2.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Fader, Feb 17, 2014

ZachT, Oct 11, 2013
1.44/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I've never been a fan of Big Rock. Back in the day it used to be THE craft brewery, but now that so many different beers are available to us, a lot of Big Rock beers just seem like overhyped macros nowadays.

This one is no exception. Big Rock Lime is one of the Brewery's flagship beers that you can find in most any Alberta liquor store. I'm not a big fan of the light lime beer genre myself, but I've delved into it enough times to know what I like and what I don't. Unfortunately, with much respect to Big Rock's other products, this is the worst fucking beer I have ever tasted (until I got my hands on boxer watermelon).

Like, it's incredibly watered down, and the lime flavour tastes really artificial and is pretty weak as well. I understand that they were going for the "beer first" angle with this one, but the beer part is way, way watered down. It feels like soda water in my mouth with just a mild lime flavour.

If you want a decent light lime beer, try the Moosehead Lime. This just doesn't cut it even in a market that is oversaturated with shitty light lime beers.

Olek4374, Jun 01, 2013
2.23/5  rDev -7.9%

A - clear straw yellow, fizzy head immediately disappeared completely
S - adjunct and some light metallic, lime is not detectable
T - adjunct and light leafy hops, very mild lime citrus is barely detectable, not much to this one
M - light, watery, thin, but easy enough to pour down your gullet
T - thankfully the north american lime beer craze was short lived, I imagine there is enough demand to keep a few cases of this on shelves for a while longer, but like most in the genre its not worth your time

joemcgrath27, Dec 04, 2012

Alberta_Beer_Guy, Jul 16, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -38%

bumchilly25, May 11, 2012
1.85/5  rDev -23.6%

355ml can poured into a 16oz pint glass.

A - Pours fizzy and light yellow, surprisingly light for a light lager even. Head fizzles out in a matter of seconds, no lacing whatsoever.

S - Slightly more aromatic than tap water. No hops, and almost no malt either. Artificial lime comparable to that of the aroma from a lime-scented cleaning product, and even that's remarkably mild. Terrible.

T - Follows the nose to a T. Watered down adjunct grains with a dash of artificial lime. Not too unlike tap water, overall.

M - Fizzy and watery. Bad.

D - A new low for Big Rock. I suppose they need to make some product that caters to an audience outside of the craft beer crowd, but there's no reason for a beer this poor.

Converge, May 09, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -7%

ScottWestmaas, Apr 07, 2012
2.13/5  rDev -12%

341ml bottle poured into pint glass 10/3/12

A pale straw yellow with a fizzy cola like head that's gone in seconds and leaves no lace

S all I really smell is cheap lager and fake lime

T pop like lime, not as bad as some lime beers I've had but it tastes fake and I have no use for it

M watery but well carbonated, fairly clean aftertaste

O nothing special that's for sure, some real lime flavors may help but this one just doesn't do it for me

I'm glad to say I've seen sales of this stuff, and all lime beers just plummet since the craze, don't bother with this one

wordemupg, Mar 12, 2012
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Mar 05, 2012
2.5/5  rDev +3.3%

cletetron, Mar 02, 2012

mdevonshire, Jan 15, 2012
2.75/5  rDev +13.6%

RedAleMan, Dec 06, 2011
3.05/5  rDev +26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A bunch of firsts with this one - first light beer review, first lime beer review, and of course my first Big Rock review. I have bought Big Rock's beers for years, despite the fact that I've never sat down and analyzed them. They produce consistently approachable beers that are widely available at a reasonable price. This can of Big Rock Lime came in a variety pack, one of a few beers in the pack I had never tried before.

Pours a pale golden color with a half-finger of foamy head that thins out to almost nothing within 30 seconds. Resembles ginger ale. I've seen worse light beers, and I guess for the style it looks above average. The smell has a strong aroma of... almost nothing, with maybe some typical adjunct odors and sourness from the lime.

The taste is extremely crisp and clean. Like club soda, with a little bit of sweet and sourness from the lime. The lime flavour is very subdued and not a dominating factor. It does have a slight "beery-ness" to it, but frankly it resembles soda water more than beer. High carbonation - no surprise there - with a thin, watery mouthfeel. Boring, but appropriate for a light beer. The lack of metallic or adjunct aftertaste makes this slightly above average in the category, I think.

It's pretty much what you'd expect, given the category of beer and the brewer. It's a respectable effort like all of Big Rock's beers, but unless you really enjoy light or lime beer it probably isn't worth your time. Since I don't particularly enjoy either, I will probably not buy this again, but if someone handed it to me I would be thankful it was not a Coors or Keystone Light.

thehyperduck, May 12, 2011
2.55/5  rDev +5.4%

355ml can poured into a Pilsner glass.

A - Light yellow, no head, lots of carbonation, no lacing. Looked like soda.

S - Light Lager aroma with a hint of sour.

T - Light Lager taste with a hint of lime.

M - Mild tang. Watery finish.

D - It's drinkable mostly due to it's blandness. It's not something I'd want to drink regularly.

decimator, Jul 16, 2010
2.53/5  rDev +4.5%

The CANQuest CANtinues with another CANadian offering! CAN you dig it?

An aggressive pour netted me a finger of foamy, bone-white head with low retention. Color was a very pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was slightly sweet with a good bit of lime zest/tartness evident. If nothing else, it made my mouth water a little. Mouthfeel was very thin, almost watery with a light lime tang on the tongue. I might have done better squeezing a lime into a Corona at this rate. This was along the lines of soda pop. Finish evidenced a little bit stronger flavor of lime, but overall it was just kind of weak. Refreshing on a hot day, but so are many brands of pop. It would be a waste of cooler space to haul this around.

woodychandler, Jun 02, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +37.6%

Came as part of the 15 mixed pack and I kinda dreaded opening it as I thought It might be as bad as Bud Light Lime. Nope, it is better in that it tastes like real beer and the lime flavour is only there a little and doesn't add an artificial flavour like Bud Lime. Is it a good beer? Of course not as it is meant to be opened at the lake in the hot summer sun. Drinkable for sure and not a total drainpour like Jackrabbit was but if Big Rock was a craft brewer like they say in their packaging why are they making beers like this when they could be making Magpie ?( sales of course)

canucklehead, May 31, 2010
2.58/5  rDev +6.6%

I reached into my Big Rock Summer Mixer pack and pulled this one out... Hardly the gem of the bunch, but by no means terrible.

A - Pours a light golden colour with a thin layer of head. Typical of other Big Rock beers, it quickly dissipates and leaves no lacing.

S - A bit of a light wheaty scent, combined with a mild citrus lime. Definitely mild scent overall, nothing really stands out, nothing all that impressive.

T - Of the few lime beers that I've tried, this is by far the most mild, which is actually preferable (IMO). Tastes much like a light lager, with a bit of a bready malt flavour with the hint of lime coming through on the finish.

M - This is pretty light on the palette, and is reasonably carbonated. The light feel makes it easy to drink.

D - Though I'm not a huge fan of the lime beers, this one is quite tasty and very easily drinkable on a hot summers day. I'd choose this over Bud Light Lime any day.

andrenaline, Apr 24, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -3.7%

well, i was on a lime beer storm this last weekend, just to get it out of my system. this one was given to me as well, like the bud-light lime i had, except i didn't trade anything for it.

i like big rock, particulary mcnally's, trad, and warthog, but this... is not their best work.

A: looks like bud-light lime, a bit lighter. overall pale and not appealing, heavy fizz, a head that's there and then gone!

S: more natural than Minhas Creek lime, it doesn't have that 'fake' lime smell, nor is it metalic.

T: not good, but not a train wreck. has more beer hints than the others in this class.

M: thin and watery, heavy carbonation. not inspiring.

D: if it was 30*C out it'd do.

EsoxLucius, Oct 06, 2009
3.03/5  rDev +25.2%

Well Bud Light Lime has been big here in BC this summer. And now it seems the big Rock Brewery is cashing in on the craze.

When I tried BLL last weekend I found it to be very un-beer like. almost like an alcoholic sprite or something. The Big Rock version comes off a bit more beery. but only slightly so. BLL definitely has more lime flavored juice in it, so maybe thats why.

To be honest I wasn't very impressed with this. I'd take Grasshopper over this any day, in fact I'll probably never buy this again. Not to say it was horrible. It's light and easy to drink as one might expect. Maybe I'm just biased against this beer style.

BreWolf, Aug 20, 2009
2.58/5  rDev +6.6%

It seems as though Big Rock wanted to cash in on the lime-infused beer craze that Bud Light Lime started here in Canada this summer. Unfortunately, they managed to create something that tastes worse than Bud Light Lime. It's too bad, since Big Rock usually produces above-average beers. Anyway, on to the review.

Big Rock Lime pours a very pale straw colour. It almost seemed to have a slight green hue to it, but that may have been my imagination. The head is very thin and quickly disappears. Within 30 seconds there is no evidence that a head ever existed. There is no lacing.

The aroma is typical of light beers: a faint grain odour, but not much else. Where this beer differs from most light beers, of course, is the citrus smell, which is very subtle.

The flavour is fairly bland. This is an uninspired light beer with lime flavour added. There are no noticeable malt or hop flavours. Mostly, it's a flavourless beer to which lime has been added. The lime notes come across as very sweet, almost like lime-flavoured candy, rather than real citrus flavours.

The mouth feel is thin and grainy, which isn't unexpected in a light beer, but still not particularly enjoyable.

Despite all of it's shortcomings, Big Rock Lime is a pretty drinkable beer. It goes down fast and easy, especially on a hot day. It's a decent summer beer, but if you're going to opt for a lime-infused beer this summer, I'd choose Bud Light Lime over Big Rock Lime. I never thought I would choose a Bud product over a Big Rock brew, but in this case, Big Rock has definitely produced the inferior product.

asnider, Jul 28, 2009
2.6/5  rDev +7.4%

Ok, I've never tried Bud Lime before, so nothing to compare with. It is really hot outside these days, so I figured it would be appropriate to try this now.
Pours very pale golden yellow with small white bubbly head which dissipated really quickly. Smell - malty, not as much lime as I'd expect, slightly grassy, pretty faint overall. Taste - cheap lager with artificial taste of lime in there/ Honestly, I'd rather squeeze lime into Grasshopper and drink it. I guess it is somewhat refreshing and easy drinking, but I don't think it worth to be a separate "type of beer". I don't think I'll buy this again. And I'd rather see Big Rock brewing tripel or DIPA..

Voonder, Jul 20, 2009