Big Rock Lime - Big Rock Brewery

poor

Big Rock Brewery visit their website
Alberta, Canada

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Light body with slight lime aroma and flavour.

(Beer added by: IronDjinn on 07-01-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
1.9/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured with barely any head that dissipated almost immediately; overly carbonated; a bright, clear yellow color. No lacing. Smell was of corn and lime... not good. Very thin on the palate, with lots of carbonation, and a gross finish of lime. And the taste, of course... lime. Pretty horrible... sure, it's a cold beer on a hot day, but it just tastes like lime-flavored soda water or something. I guess it's great for people who don't like beer... but really bad for people that do.

berley31, Jul 18, 2009

355 ml can (as pictured).
I tried Bud Light Lime over a year ago in the States..now the BLL craze has finally hit Alberta/Canada. Should have known eveyone would be on the bandwagon.
Pours a thin pale straw color, I think this is even lighter than Bud Light. White foam that goes up then down. Smell has a fresh lime aroma, not as strong or artificial as I was expecting. Taste is as expected, a light lager, slightly grainy, with lime. Mouthfeel is light and fizzy, body is light and watery.
This is kind of a hard one to review, fitting in the "it is what it is" category. It is a light lager, with lime, meant to be light (color and body) - do you mark it down for not being big and bold? It is meant to fill a niche market, which it does.

BigBry, Jul 14, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -7%

Well, I've seen this around lately, in 12 packs only, and there's no way in hell I'm buying 12 of these (potential downside just too high), I don't disrespect my friends that much. Lo and behold, after a late movie on Whyte Ave, the chosen post-show dissection watering hole has this on tap. Although I couldn't tell at first, as the Alley Kat taps were distracting me, and all I could see was the word "LIME" shouting out from a tap down the bar. Upon verification that it wasn't Bud Light's 'version', I snapped up a pint. My girlfriend got a Blanche de Chambly - no, Mr. Waiter, sir, I'm just missing my metaphorical pants...this has been happening a lot lately - a side effect of Beer Advocacy...

Anyways, this pint appears a very, very pale golden colour, with lots of rising bubbles, like cider, with a wisp of thin soapy white head, and a smidgen of lace. It smells of very faint white cracker malt, and light candy lime flavouring. The taste at first, is, really, nothing. Zip. Until my senses register what I'm tasting - and I get some slightly sour lime citrus Fruit Loops! There's a barely detectable underlying cereal malt character, to maintain that tenuous connection to beer. The carbonation is too high, providing a bit of a burn, the body is thin enough to appear practically non-existent, and it finishes with more of that zany fake-lime Toucan Sam cereal essence. This is obviously not hard to drink, albeit for insufficient reasons, but would probably work on a hot summer afternoon; however, I imagine that there'll still be lots on the shelves when those days run short.

I'm sure there's a valid marketing decision behind this latest offering from Big Rock, but also hope that they didn't hurt themselves on the way from the boardroom to the bandwagon. C'mon guys, you're using up your nine lives more quickly than I would have ever imagined back in the McNally's/Chinook/Trad heyday.

biboergosum, Jul 11, 2009

Am I the first person to review this stuff? Sigh.... So the lime beer craze has hit Alberta now, although it's curious how almost no one remembers when Labatt came out with a lime lager a decade ago that then fizzled into obscurity. Have we finally evolved our tastebuds to be able to appreciate such a flavour profile, or is this simply a brand new low? Philosophical queries aside, let's check it out.

Pours out a transparent straw colour, fizzy white head that disappears once it settles.

A bit of bready, grainy malt at first in the aroma, but after a short while it predominantly becomes all lime citrus zest. Refreshing, but nothing really enticing all the same.

Do I win a prize if I guess this is just Big Rock Light with an infusion of lime? Or if I simply point it out? So then, this tastes like Big Rock Light with a small infusion of lime, no more, no less. Mild bready malt at first, mild zing of lime on the finish to replace the hops.

Mouthfeel is light and spritzy, it suits the style, but some extra body wouldn't hurt it either.

It's okay for what it is, but I won't spend any more money on this, especially since I've made a better lime cerveza myself years ago. Nothing original or noteworthy here. In my personal opinion it's time for Big Rock to quit goofing around with mediocre fad beers and bring back Magpie (I promise to buy a 6 pack at least every two days!) or come out with something of a higher calibre and quality, and get back their street cred again and the higher esteem they once held. Unless it's the shareholders themselves who are buying up this sort of stuff, then it's a win-win situation, but I won't support it.

IronDjinn, Jul 01, 2009