Big Rock Scottish Style Heavy - Big Rock Brewery

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Derek on 11-03-2011

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.45/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.71/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I must agree with the overall tone of previous reviews - this is definitely one of Big Rock's better beers. It pulls off the wee heavy style nicely. It has a rich colour, a bit of foamy head that works hard to hang around, and a delightful smell. I pick up toffee, fruit, and smoke. The taste is lovely, too, with the smoky peat providing a wonderful hint of some of my favourite scotch. This is one of the few Big Rock beers that is unique and easily identifiable.

3.19/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.36/5  rDev -36%

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

3.61/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the bottle this Scotch ale pours a dark reddish caramel with minimal head that does not retain well. Aroma of dark bread and rich caramel, a touch of sour fruit. Palate aggressively malty and sweet, with loads of butterscotch toffee balanced out by red apple and aromatic vanilla notes. No hops. Not sour or smoky like some Scotch ales. Some grainy alcohol on the palate as per the wee heavy style, which needs this to cut the sweetness a bit. All in all really quite good, if lacking in complexity. I date Big Rock's turn around to approximately the release date of this one, they now seem able to execute classic styles without such a macro feel to the end product. Keep it up.

3.31/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Can from MLCC in Winnipeg.

A - Pours sorta copperish. Bright. One finger white head on top gone pretty quick. No lace, no retention. Minimal carbonation.

S - Caramel, sugar, dark fruit, butterscotch.

T - Rich and sweet. A bit too butterscotchy. Caramel and sugar. Definitely has a 'buttery' sorta thing going on.

M - Medium carbonation, medium body and a lightly sweet then gone finish.

O/D - Had slightly higher expectations for this. But it's a Big Rock beer afterall. Not bad, but certainly fairly plain. Decent enough, yet lacking in some departments and strong in many departments some would consider faults.

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

3.89/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I recently reviewed Big Rock Lime and I felt I was being a bit too harsh, because there do exist good Big Rock beers, and this is one of them.

There's a great backstory to me having this beer. When I was 19, my Dad took me on a ski trip with his engineering workmates. We were taking a private charter bus from Edmonton to Panorama resort in BC. This day happened to be Robbie Burns day, and I had never celebrated Robbie Burns day before, but my Dad told me about it and how several of his workmates were Scottish, so we had to pick up some Scottish beer. The only problem was we were not allowed to bring on glass bottles onto the bus, so this ruled out scotch. We wanted to grab some Scottish beer, but the liquor store near the bus departure area only had Innis & Gunn (in glass bottles), and was all out of Tennent's. So, we grabbed this Big Rock beer cause it said "Scottish" on it, much to my dismay because I am not a fan of Big Rock in general. When I tried it, I loved it - it was dark, rich, flavourful, a little boozy (but strong enough to honour ol' Robbie), and it came in tall boys, so it made for a fun bus ride to BC (about 8 hours).

Anyway, to the beer itself. It comes, as I said before, in a tall boy can. A six pack of bottles is widely available, but I wanted to get a little nostalgic for this review, so I had to go for the can. I poured it into my Big Rock glass, of course. It pours a rich brown colour reminiscent to that of Innis & Gunn, with a very gently coloured head that is only about a finger or two in height. The smell is very malty and nutty with some aromas of burnt marshmallow. The taste is among the most complex beers I've ever had, let alone from Big Rock. The first thing you get is a large hit of malt followed by a sort of caramel flavour. One thing about this beer - the HEAVY in huge fucking letters on the can certainly lives up to its name. It tastes like someone added a shot of whiskey to this beer. The feel is okay - it has a moderate amount of carbonation which makes drinking very easy, although there is a somewhat bitter aftertaste that takes some getting used to.

At the end of the day, it's a strong beer with a solid flavour profile, nice smell, but a little tart aftertaste. Is there room for improvement? Sure. But as is, it's a great beer to have for a party, and an especially good beer for Robbie Burns Day celebrations. This is one of your shining stars, Big Rock.

3.69/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Quite obviously, the food flavor notes of Scotland pack a strong punch in this scotch ale : toffee taste is distinct. The ale is slightly oily, which is one of the few off-putting elements of an otherwise delicious heavy ale. Rather unrefined in the subtleties of its taste, this reveals itself as a definite Big Rock brew. Altogether, a heavy, pleasant sip.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%