Co-op Strong Lager - Big Rock Brewery

Co-op Strong LagerCo-op Strong Lager

Big Rock Brewery visit their website
Alberta, Canada

Euro Strong Lager |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: wordemupg on 07-02-2012)
Reviews by wordemupg:
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

3.18/5  rDev +21.8%

355ml can poured into pint glass 1/7/12

A clear golden yellow with plenty of bubbles going up the side of the glass, a thumbs width of foam has surprisingly good retention ending up as a thin film but leaves little lace

S smells of corny sweet malt and a little floral honey, slight grassy hops and a faint chemical smell, decent but there's room for improvement

T more of the same really, for a cheap strong lager though its lacking the offensive qualities I expected

M light and well carbonated, pretty clean aftertaste and very little booze

O all thing considered this one's fairly drinkable, I'm not saying this ones going to blow you away but its worth the money

I think Euro Strong Lager was the best fit for this one but I could be wrong. I didn't expect much but this was pretty easy to drink and for the price its miles ahead of similar discount brands

07-02-2012 05:09:45 | More by wordemupg
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.03/5  rDev -22.2%

355ml can, purchased from the singles shelf at the Co-op that has sprung up in my hometown.

This beer pours a clear, very pale golden straw colour, with a half finger of limpid foamy dirty white head, which leaves but a few small orbs of specked lace around the glass as it quickly bleeds away.

It smells of a sweet, Freezie-esque sugar nature, like those nondescript frozen juice pops that my mom used to make for us - and oh yeah, a hovering nail polish medicinal essence to bring that particular childhood reverie crashing back down to earth. The taste is sweet, saccharine pale malt, again with the cheap grape fruit juice angle, paint thinner, and very weak earthy dryness, too iffy to even allude to hops, wait, what?

The bubbles are damned near a non-entity, the body a sickly, sugary, somehow soul-destroying (oooh, alliteration!) medium weight, and equally smooth, I suppose, in the same infernal manner. It finishes, well, sweet, with all that malt liquor squeamishness, the alcohol hiding behind the skirt of alcohol oblivion.

Strangely, not even near the worst of this lot, as there is little to actually hold me back from pounding this existential sixer, weirdly (not that I would), so I can't front on it too much here. Ok, I can - what the hell is the difference between this, and the Bow Valley Strong Lager, another ambiguous offering from the Pine Valley Brewing Concern arm of Big Rock's 'must hide this in a sub-contracted (maybe), renamed, obfuscated bullshit subcommittee'. Gah, who cares, my colon, liver and other internal organs bleed, right alongside my heart, because of this.

09-29-2012 06:07:13 | More by biboergosum
Co-op Strong Lager from Big Rock Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.