RPA (Rye Pale Ale) - Cameron's Brewing Co.

RPA (Rye Pale Ale)RPA (Rye Pale Ale)

Cameron's Brewing Co. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Cameron’s Rye Pale Ale ABV is one of our most popular seasonal beers. It was originally brewed for the 2011 Bar Volo IPA challenge, earning 2nd Place, by combining the best parts of American and British IPA styles, we achieved a robust and unique staple. This fusion is hazy orange-amber in colour, with a well-constructed white head. It begins with an up front citrus aroma followed by a complex malt body with a hint of peppery rye which releases earthy floral British hop flavour on the finish.

It is made of a combination of seven different floral British and pungent American hops, some which are added in a dry hopping process. This involves adding hops directly to the fermented beer in the fermenter. The hops are well supported by a large malt bill of five character malts with a generous portion of rye which contributes to mouth feel and Cameron’s Rye Pale Ale’s own special character.

(Beer added by: ritzkiss on 04-03-2012)

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bomber picked up from the LCBO; packaging code E3013 (so I'm guessing May 30 2013). I've heard nothing but praise for this stuff, and have been interested in trying it for close to a year now. Lucky me - this batch of bottles actually made it all the way to Sarnia, something I never would have imagined happening a year or two ago. How the times have changed. Served slightly chilled.

Pours a hazy orange-amber colour, topped with two fingers of loose, puffy, off white-coloured head. Great retention; it recedes slowly over the next five minutes or so, absolutely caking the glass with lacing. Looks great, and the aroma is equally enticing - tons of juicy pink grapefruit, lemongrass, and pine needles, along with some mandarin and pineapple notes. I can pick out a slight brown sugar vibe, but the rye and malts in general are hard to detect through the sea of hops.

The flavour is bold, delicious, and no less hoppy than the aroma suggests. Toffee sweetness and bready malts underlie a vibrant array of floral, fruity notes from the seven hop varieties - grapefruit, peach, oranges, pine and cedar being the most prominent flavours. Spicy rye and pepper notes come through near the finish, mingling favourably with the earthy bitterness of the hops. Bitter aftertaste, with the rye lingering on the palate. Medium-bodied, almost pushing full, with mild carbonation and an exceptionally smooth, creamy mouthfeel that I absolutely love. Very drinkable stuff, but I'd rather sip and savour it for a while - why rush something this good?

Final Grade: 4.48, an incredible A grade. Worth the wait - Cameron's Rye Pale Ale is probably the best IPA I've had in the last year or so. The spicy, peppery feel imparted by the rye malts is the perfect companion for the intensely citrusy, earthy flavours of the hops, making for an excellent brew that is certain to please the palates of hopheads everywhere. This is easily the best Cameron's beer I've yet tried, and something that the brewers should be extremely proud of. If this is available regularly, you'd better believe I'll be buying plenty more, as this is definitely a new favourite for me. The perfect choice for my 500th beer tick on BA - and on International IPA Day, to boot!

3.09/5  rDev -23.3%

Appearance: Poured with a finger of head that produces decent lacing. Unfortunately, the head didn't stick around very long. The body is a beautiful clear rust color with steady carbonation.

Smell: Plenty of spice, but it's hard to tell if the rye or the hops is the reason. Grapefruit, pine, and pepper with slight herbal and a rough grainy scent in the background. Warming helped it out quite a bit.

Taste: Starts with peppery rough malt that I assume is rye with a slight peach citrus taste which then turns to an IPA slam of hops as the citrus comes forward to quash the pine and herb rebellion that ends the beer.

Mouthfeel: The hops tend to linger far more then the pepper and malt, and produce that oily texture I don't enjoy. The carbonation seems to reign in a lot of this though oddly enough, but it regrettably was spend at the 1/3rd left mark. It's a bumpy ride, from start to finish.

Drinkability: Well the beer settles down well, but smooth and easy it is not. The taste and mouthfeel conspire against it here. It has that rare pleasant dryness to it that makes up some ground for me though.

Final Thoughts: This is my second Rye beer, and it certainly fared better then the first. That still being said, Rye beer does not appear to be my cup of tea. It's like an IPA with the hop kick spread out a bit more, and the sweet malt replaced with it's rougher rye cousin, which I would say is the best piece of advice I can give if you are drinking your first rye beer. Standard beer is toast, and this beer is rye bread toast. Regular toast tends to be sweeter the bread because the sugars in the bread caramelize. However Rye bread toast doesn't really do it quite as well, because, well I dunno, I guess there is less sugar/it's hardier? Either way, rye malt seems to have the same characteristic as there is next to nothing remotely sweet here, which makes for something different, it's just not quite what I'm looking for. Glad I tried it though.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

650ml bottle poured into a mug. ABV 6.6%.

A - Poured a hazy rusty orange with 1cm off white head, head reduced to a thin cap and eventually surface bubbles, good lacing.

S - Citrus (Grapefruit, orange peel), pine, spice, grass, some tea, some caramel in the background. The rye isn't apparent in the aroma but there's a ton of hops. Seven different ones according to the label. Overall very complex and inviting aroma.

T - Caramel, some rye bread, citrus like sourness, notes of tropical fruits, pine, spicy, bitter finish, bitter aftertaste. The alcohol is well masked behind the sweetness and all the hops. Overall this is quite flavourful.

M - Medium carbonation, medium-heavy body, creamy, a bit sticky, a bit of heat, dry finish.

O - Wow! This is simply one of the best I've ever had. It sure goes down easy. It has a rye beer meets DIPA vibe to it. For some reason these haven't been moving off the shelve at my local LCBO. Next time I'm in I'll take care of that!

3.84/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hazy oragnge-amber as described. Solid long-lived head with lots and lots of lace. A really good looking beer.

Really all about the hops. Nose is citrus peel and a hint of pepper. Thin-bodied up front, but immediately hoppy bitter to follow. Citrusy and dry, a touch boozy. The citrus over tops the rye and malt, although there is some sweetness up the middle.

I'm somehow not catching all the nuance of this one, I guess. Mostly just hops to me, but still a good quality quaff.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I've had this a few times; usually pick up a bottle when I'm back in Ontario. Served in a DryHop taster pint glass.

A - White foam settles to a thick cap and splotchy lacework. Transparent amber body.

S - Floral and grapefruit rind hops, spicy rye, toasted grain, hints of toffee and crackery malts. Fairly low sweetness.

T - Similar flavor profile, with a mixture of spicy rye, pithy rye, pine, lemon, and herbal hops. Malt character is also quite crackery and low in sweetness. Moderate bitterness, but not excessively so.

M - Dry, medium body, with crisp carbonation and lingering hop resins and oils. No perceptible alcohol.

D - A solid, enjoyable, RyePA. I don't get a lot of the tropical and citrusy notes some of the other reviewers mention; wondering if there is variability to the hop bill. I'm fairly certain the bottles I've had are fresh.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Serving Type - 650ml bottle poured into a nonic pint glass

Appearance - Pours a hazy, orange-copper colour, with 2 fingers of foamy white head which is very slowly beginning to dissolve, leaving behing a tremendous amount of lacing.

Smell - The beer is distinctly spicy smelling. Sort of over-powering whatever else is going on here. There's also a good deal of citrus, probably orange and/or grapefruit.

Taste - Lot's of spice. What exactly, I can't say....peppery maybe. That must be the rye grain? (This is my first Rye beer, so I don't really know what to expect here). Towards the finish there's a decent amount of citrus. There's some caramel/toffee malt flavour in there somewhere as well. There's a lingering hop bitterness as well, but nothing overpowering.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, light carbonation. Sort of a creamy texture.

Overall - 4.25/5 Not sure if this is standard fare for the style, but if it is sign me up. Three cheers for rye beer!

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

props to andrenaline for including in our latest trade
A - dark slightly hazy burnt orange, tower of light tan head wasn't going anywhere, lots of random sticky lacing
S - spicy and grainy with a touch of citrus and a mild earthiness
T - spicy rye grain mixes well with citrus and mild floral hop notes, touch of metallic on the finish
M - medium to light body with a smooth start that gives way to a pleasant peppery feel with a slightly dry finish
O - big on rye spiciness which i prefer in the style, but maintains its drinkability, a very fine example of the style

3.89/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from the 650 ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: pours a honey/copper gold with a two to three finger head. The retention is nice and long and even after the head finally dissipates, there is a nice halo.

S: there is a faint rye smell, but I have an overpowering memory recall of marmalade on this. Citrus is very prominent.

T: a bit of pine, but those citrus flavors come through. I love the "bitter" flavor.

M: smooth with good carbonation and it seems rather slick. I like the fact that the hops stay around in the finish as a reminder.

O: I have wanted to try this for a while and I have to say that I am glad I did. I have to admit to not being a huge fan of RPA or IPA beers, but I want to give everything a fair chance. It was good. I would quite enjoy this with BBQ on a summer day.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

650ml bomber poured into tulip 6/6/13, big cheers to liamt07 for knocking off one of my biggest wants

A hazy orange amber, some tiny slow bubbles and a few large fast ones feeding a very well sustained thumbs width of foam that leaves a few thick partial rings followed by random patches

S I get some floral and spicy hops but for the most part a tropical citrus nose, tangerine, pineapple, grapefruit, and mandarin, vitamin C chewable's with some pine and spruce, there's a little caramel malt but the hops are clearly in charge, some lemon rind as it warms

T I'm getting more of the spicy rye malt in the mouth but a little less of the killer tropical notes, more pine and some earthy notes, tastes great but the nose had just a little more going for it

M has a nice bitter snap, slightly creamy, almost full, a little gritty with a long and strong spicy, piney, rind finish

O I'm grooving to this brew, I'm guessing there's more American hops then English and the rye malt adds a nice spicy kick. Perhaps a little too smooth considering my bombers almost gone and I just started drinking it

this ones a winner in my books, big tropical hop blast with a little spicy kick, no mention of booze anywhere and I could easily drink another bomber or two without getting board. I can see why this brews so well rated and I want to try more from this brewery, I can see why this popped up among Canada's best.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle: Poured a clear dark amber color ale with a relatively large foamy head with good retention and some good lacing. Aroma of spicy malt notes with citrusy and spicy hops profile. Taste is a great refreshing mix between some spicy rye notes with some citrusy and spicy hops profile which are close to IPA level. Body is about average with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Solid beer which is definitely better then the rest of Cameron’s standard offerings.

RPA (Rye Pale Ale) from Cameron's Brewing Co.