Hops Infusion - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Hops InfusionHops Infusion

good

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Made with seven hop varieties, this deep copper-orange IPA is loaded with juicy hop notes of pine, lemon zest, and a layer of pink grapefruit and a strong foundation of toasted caramel malts underneath it all give this beer a complexity that's unparalleled.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hops Infusion Alström Bros
OriolesFan1008

Maryland

1.5/5  rDev -58.7%

06-07-2012 19:50:30 | More by OriolesFan1008
benmiliron

1.9/5  rDev -47.7%

Paid $1.60 for a 12 oz. bottle.

Hops Infusion? India Pale Ale? I didn't see in this crap. Nothing but acid, acid, acid. No floral aromas, no citrus taste, no malt even, just a lot of acidish beer-like substance. This is not at all what I expected or was hoping for.

Come to think of it, I haven't been impressed by anything the Weyerbacher company has produced, but this was just terrible.

05-08-2004 02:58:06 | More by benmiliron
indiapaleale

1.9/5  rDev -47.7%

OKAY, you are probably saying to yourself..why such low marks. Believe me, I LOVE HOPS, that has nothing to do with it. The reason being is that Weyerbacher tends to have a problem with carbonation. The six pack I got, 4 of the bottles were way overcarbonated and undrinkable, whereas two of them were fine and quite enjoyable. I felt like going to the brewery, but I would imagine they are aware of the bottling issue by now. Just be cautious.

08-27-2003 22:38:10 | More by indiapaleale
BadBadger

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I must say that this is pretty nasty tasting brew. Just plain awful, really. The beer pours a rather dark amber coloration. There is a very nice foamy head (best thing about this beer). The smell is hoppy. The taste is an odd mess. A mixture of sweetness and bitter hops which does not really work. The bittering is confused, being neither here nor there. If you love a hyper-hoppy beer, as I do, then avoid this Frankenstein. There are many other better examples out there.

06-30-2004 22:18:47 | More by BadBadger

tmars13

09-08-2012 02:07:09 | More by tmars13
MuddyFeet

2.08/5  rDev -42.7%

This beer is too much. Went way too overboard with the hops. I appreciate their efforts, but my palate may not be up for this beer and its seven types of hops. Almost too much sour, it goes beyond bitter and into this altogether different category. The beer's aroma is almost overpowering which only makes one cringe before it touched the taste buds. The beer's appearnace is a dirty, brown water color with no head from the pour out of the bottle. And there i no lace whatsoever. I struggled to finish one glass.

06-13-2004 01:25:26 | More by MuddyFeet
MiScusi

2.17/5  rDev -40.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, thanks to "Imstillthegman" for this Secret Bunny treat. Pours a pretty dark orange, almost light brown with an off-white head that fades fast. The most I get from this in aroma is like a toasted and semi-sweet malt along with a tiny bit of earthiness. The taste is a very one sided toasty, *almost* roasty malt with a sticky astringent feeling bitterness in the finish. The finish kinda reminds me of the same quality I get out of a macro pilsner. I almost wanted to say this reminded me of Hop Devil at first but Hop Devil is actually much much better than this beer. Disappointed by this offering, and with no bottle dating it it's impossible to know if this is a fresh and good representation of the original beer.

03-23-2008 01:41:33 | More by MiScusi
hyland24

2.23/5  rDev -38.6%

I drank this beer from a cask poured into a goblet from the Lazyboy Saloon in White Plains, NY.

It poured amber, slightly hazy with minimal head that dissipated almost immediately. Minimal lacing.

The smell was hoppy and sweet with hints of fruit.

The taste was not good. Strong alcohol flavor with a spicy/hoppy overly bitter finish. Dont mind the strong alcohol taste so long as the flavor compliments it. This did not.

The mouthfeel and drinkability leave much to be desired. Very thin and not enough carbonation, which is to be expected from the cask. I think this beer was just not meant to be served from a cask. I think more carbonation might have improved this beer. I would not recommend this variation but would not rule out sampling this beer on draft or bottle.

Serving type: cask

03-21-2008 22:55:28 | More by hyland24
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.25/5  rDev -38%

Pours a one-fingered off-white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Cloudy amber color. Hoppy/malty nose. Light carbonation and light bodied. Starts with a hop/malt mix but the hops quickly dominate and leave a lingering bitter aftertaste. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, Ma.

05-16-2005 22:19:40 | More by jdhilt
slim2043

10-01-2012 00:59:09 | More by slim2043
djtomain

01-07-2014 00:59:48 | More by djtomain
smanders

2.25/5  rDev -38%

Recommended by the staff at the local beer store. Poured into an American Pint glass.

Appearance - nice lacing on a clear, amber ale.

Smell - grass.

Taste - Since there is no bottled-on date I am unsure as to whether this beer is past it's prime or not. Considering the recommendation from knowledgeable staff, I tend to think it must be.

Mouthfeel - a little oily.

Drinkability - I am going to withhold my comment for this until I am able to try another sample.

04-18-2009 21:19:53 | More by smanders
JackTheRipper

2.3/5  rDev -36.6%

Too over the top. I've had lots of hoppy beers, I really like IPA's, but this stuff is awful.
A: Nice amber color, initial two finger head with nice lacing.

S: An acidic punch in the nose. Nothing more.

T: Put some alum on your tongue. Same feel. Too bitter, the hop assault doesn't serve to highlight the hops, the bitterness just overwhelms all taste.

M: Sharp. Very very sharp.

D&N: Try this if you have obsessive-compulsive disorder that makes you seek hops. Otherwise, meh, I want my two dollars back.

06-23-2004 01:53:22 | More by JackTheRipper
Ahhdball

2.35/5  rDev -35.3%

I had a choice between this offering and Barley's IPA. Glad I chose to go with a pint of the latter!
Appeared red with no head to see. Gentle residue on the edges left one to consider some slick consistancy.
Couldn't smell anything. As much as I tried I could barley smell beer at all.
Hops Infusion? Where the hell are the hops? Bland wheat with minor honey and citrus overtones but no hop flavoring.
Slick oily mouthfeel leaving barley a desire for another.
I hope this was a bad batch because I hate giving this such a bad review. I may give this another shot but I'm doubting it.
Sadly dissappointed.

themotherculture

01-13-2012 03:34:13 | More by themotherculture
AllThingsNinja

2.53/5  rDev -30.3%

While, I tend to enjoy hops, the Hops infusion pushes them to the extreme and lands the brew in a land of mediocrity. It’s a crisp, golden brown brew with some modest head formation and slight lacing. It’s attractive, but not special. The aroma, is as one would expect, an assault of citrus, sour, and floral notes. The combination is almost cacophonous. The flavors are similarly convoluted. The hop presence is undeniable, unbalanced, and unreal. While I like the concept of a 7 hopped beer, Weyerbacher’s implementation isn’t very inspiring. The hops don’t compliment each other, and combine to emphasize sour and bitter notes, over the more interesting flavors. The brew could be improved by adjusting the timings of the hop additions. As it stands now, it’s hardly drinkable.

06-16-2004 14:45:42 | More by AllThingsNinja
CharlesRiver

2.55/5  rDev -29.8%

Cloudy orange-yellow in color with a minimal head even after an aggresive pour. The smell is, you guessed it, hops all the way. The bottle says 7 types and I would like to know which 7.

Hmmm, the flavor is weird. Tastes like something that is burnt and bad. I think that I got a bad one.

08-13-2003 23:07:31 | More by CharlesRiver
adamette

2.55/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle that I bought at Heinen's in Willoughby Hills the other day for $2.00 as a single. The bottle had dust on it and there was no expiration or "best by" date observed by me. Here's hoping that it is fresh. If I have a negative experience that I relate to freshness I am prepared to find this at Discount Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor where I am sure that it would be fresh. Poured into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass.

A Generous, creamy very light brown head over a pleasing opaque caramel body that glows in front of direct light. Good look for the style. 4.0

S Floral hops in front with a grapefruit like background sweetness. Kind of basic for the style really but I will raise my rating from 3.0 due to the nice, subtle sweetness. 3.5

T Prominent bitterness of grapefruit hops which is true to style but not a feature that I enjoy. The taste lingered on the least favorite part of my tongue, the bitter back of it. The bitterness was almost an organic one, like having chewed on some grass for a while. The bitterness was significant and lasted too long. My face cringed about 30 seconds after the last taste. I am not impressed with this taste even if aspects of it are true to style. 2.0

M Appropriately thick physical feel and a rather "big" feeling beer due to the bitterness. 3.5

D It was not easy for me to finish this pint but I did in the spirit of the review. 2.0

Notes: I don't think that there was any problem with too much age on the bottle since the bitter hops were so prominent. Who knows, maybe I will try it again and make sure that it is good and fresh before I do.

06-11-2010 00:27:35 | More by adamette
Hops Infusion from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.