Hops Infusion - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Hops InfusionHops Infusion

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Made with seven hop varieties, this deep copper-orange IPA is loaded with juicy hop notes of pine, lemon zest, and a layer of pink grapefruit and a strong foundation of toasted caramel malts underneath it all give this beer a complexity that's unparalleled.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hops Infusion Alström Bros
1.94/5  rDev -46.7%

OKAY, you are probably saying to yourself..why such low marks. Believe me, I LOVE HOPS, that has nothing to do with it. The reason being is that Weyerbacher tends to have a problem with carbonation. The six pack I got, 4 of the bottles were way overcarbonated and undrinkable, whereas two of them were fine and quite enjoyable. I felt like going to the brewery, but I would imagine they are aware of the bottling issue by now. Just be cautious.

1.95/5  rDev -46.4%

Paid $1.60 for a 12 oz. bottle.

Hops Infusion? India Pale Ale? I didn't see in this crap. Nothing but acid, acid, acid. No floral aromas, no citrus taste, no malt even, just a lot of acidish beer-like substance. This is not at all what I expected or was hoping for.

Come to think of it, I haven't been impressed by anything the Weyerbacher company has produced, but this was just terrible.

2.08/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I must say that this is pretty nasty tasting brew. Just plain awful, really. The beer pours a rather dark amber coloration. There is a very nice foamy head (best thing about this beer). The smell is hoppy. The taste is an odd mess. A mixture of sweetness and bitter hops which does not really work. The bittering is confused, being neither here nor there. If you love a hyper-hoppy beer, as I do, then avoid this Frankenstein. There are many other better examples out there.

2.08/5  rDev -42.9%

This beer is too much. Went way too overboard with the hops. I appreciate their efforts, but my palate may not be up for this beer and its seven types of hops. Almost too much sour, it goes beyond bitter and into this altogether different category. The beer's aroma is almost overpowering which only makes one cringe before it touched the taste buds. The beer's appearnace is a dirty, brown water color with no head from the pour out of the bottle. And there i no lace whatsoever. I struggled to finish one glass.

2.19/5  rDev -39.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, thanks to "Imstillthegman" for this Secret Bunny treat. Pours a pretty dark orange, almost light brown with an off-white head that fades fast. The most I get from this in aroma is like a toasted and semi-sweet malt along with a tiny bit of earthiness. The taste is a very one sided toasty, *almost* roasty malt with a sticky astringent feeling bitterness in the finish. The finish kinda reminds me of the same quality I get out of a macro pilsner. I almost wanted to say this reminded me of Hop Devil at first but Hop Devil is actually much much better than this beer. Disappointed by this offering, and with no bottle dating it it's impossible to know if this is a fresh and good representation of the original beer.

2.26/5  rDev -37.9%

Recommended by the staff at the local beer store. Poured into an American Pint glass.

Appearance - nice lacing on a clear, amber ale.

Smell - grass.

Taste - Since there is no bottled-on date I am unsure as to whether this beer is past it's prime or not. Considering the recommendation from knowledgeable staff, I tend to think it must be.

Mouthfeel - a little oily.

Drinkability - I am going to withhold my comment for this until I am able to try another sample.

2.3/5  rDev -36.8%

Pours a one-fingered off-white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Cloudy amber color. Hoppy/malty nose. Light carbonation and light bodied. Starts with a hop/malt mix but the hops quickly dominate and leave a lingering bitter aftertaste. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, Ma.

2.34/5  rDev -35.7%

I drank this beer from a cask poured into a goblet from the Lazyboy Saloon in White Plains, NY.

It poured amber, slightly hazy with minimal head that dissipated almost immediately. Minimal lacing.

The smell was hoppy and sweet with hints of fruit.

The taste was not good. Strong alcohol flavor with a spicy/hoppy overly bitter finish. Dont mind the strong alcohol taste so long as the flavor compliments it. This did not.

The mouthfeel and drinkability leave much to be desired. Very thin and not enough carbonation, which is to be expected from the cask. I think this beer was just not meant to be served from a cask. I think more carbonation might have improved this beer. I would not recommend this variation but would not rule out sampling this beer on draft or bottle.

2.36/5  rDev -35.2%

Too over the top. I've had lots of hoppy beers, I really like IPA's, but this stuff is awful.
A: Nice amber color, initial two finger head with nice lacing.

S: An acidic punch in the nose. Nothing more.

T: Put some alum on your tongue. Same feel. Too bitter, the hop assault doesn't serve to highlight the hops, the bitterness just overwhelms all taste.

M: Sharp. Very very sharp.

D&N: Try this if you have obsessive-compulsive disorder that makes you seek hops. Otherwise, meh, I want my two dollars back.

2.38/5  rDev -34.6%

I had a choice between this offering and Barley's IPA. Glad I chose to go with a pint of the latter!
Appeared red with no head to see. Gentle residue on the edges left one to consider some slick consistancy.
Couldn't smell anything. As much as I tried I could barley smell beer at all.
Hops Infusion? Where the hell are the hops? Bland wheat with minor honey and citrus overtones but no hop flavoring.
Slick oily mouthfeel leaving barley a desire for another.
I hope this was a bad batch because I hate giving this such a bad review. I may give this another shot but I'm doubting it.
Sadly dissappointed.

2.53/5  rDev -30.5%

While, I tend to enjoy hops, the Hops infusion pushes them to the extreme and lands the brew in a land of mediocrity. It’s a crisp, golden brown brew with some modest head formation and slight lacing. It’s attractive, but not special. The aroma, is as one would expect, an assault of citrus, sour, and floral notes. The combination is almost cacophonous. The flavors are similarly convoluted. The hop presence is undeniable, unbalanced, and unreal. While I like the concept of a 7 hopped beer, Weyerbacher’s implementation isn’t very inspiring. The hops don’t compliment each other, and combine to emphasize sour and bitter notes, over the more interesting flavors. The brew could be improved by adjusting the timings of the hop additions. As it stands now, it’s hardly drinkable.

2.58/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle

A- Light copper in color, no lacing and no head retention at all, a little dissapointing.

S- Not much smell going on here, slight hops but nothing like the label suggests.

T,M- Sweet malt in the front, with a weak hop taste at the finish, again nothing like the label suggested...

D- I guess i expected alot more from this beer, only to be let down with the hops taste. Take it from there if you want to embark on this adventure.

2.58/5  rDev -29.1%

A- pours a deep hazy amber fingers width head with slight retention some slight lacing.

S-very malty/bready with only hints of lemon or pink grapefruit slightlt astringent smell.

T-spicy bitterness herbal and some toasted malt reminiscent of a ricola herbal cough drop.

M-medium bodied and smooth the look and mouthfeel are the best qualities of this brew.

D- well I have a six pack and now halfway through my first one i wish i didn't. this is one i wont look for again, not the worst i have had but still not anywhere near the top.

2.61/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - clear amber color with a off-white head that settled down leaving some lace.

S - malt aroma over shadows the hops.

T - sweet malty taste, some hops come through on the finish, but I expected more hops.

M - light bodied, malt sweetness, a little hop biterness on the back end.

D - if you're new to IPA's this is a good place to start, but I've had Stone IPA. Could drink these if being offered, but I won't be buying this one for myself.

2.62/5  rDev -28%

Pours a cloudy gold/orange with a 1.5 finger creamy off-white head.

A little hint of pine with some sweet malt. Not as much nose as I'd expect from an IPA.

Slight citrus/floral upfront rounding into a little bit of a toffee malt flavor. Finishes with a pine bitterness and too much astringency.

Mouthfeel and carbonation levels are solid.

Flavors don't meld in this one. Not very complex and the aftertaste kills the drinkability on this one.

2.63/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured a nice copper under a two-finger white head. An uneventful aroma barely pulls off this brew. Really, unimpressive. An I was really looking to be impressed after having Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe IPA. Oh well.

Really, 7 types of hops, but seems like not alot were used. I don't know, maybe so many were used, without any malt, that they cover each other up, if that's possible. Maybe my issue is that the taste in nondefinitively bitter. Really hard to pull any vaietals out of this. It is bitterness subtraction by addition.

Bitter, bitter, bitter, without any organic or vegetable like authenticity. It feels forced, unfortunately.

Duvel Tulip

A: Transparent burnt orange in color. One finger head, gond in seconds. Some lacing.
S: Smell is more malty than expected. Sweet, Toffee, carmel come citrus and touch of pine.
T: Again sweet and malty, finishes with a bitter citrus hop.
M: Medium mouthfeel, bitter finish.
I think this is may be not be as fresh as I once thought. Drain Pour.

Hope to re-review fresh on tap in the near future.

2.63/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle that I bought at Heinen's in Willoughby Hills the other day for $2.00 as a single. The bottle had dust on it and there was no expiration or "best by" date observed by me. Here's hoping that it is fresh. If I have a negative experience that I relate to freshness I am prepared to find this at Discount Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor where I am sure that it would be fresh. Poured into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass.

A Generous, creamy very light brown head over a pleasing opaque caramel body that glows in front of direct light. Good look for the style. 4.0

S Floral hops in front with a grapefruit like background sweetness. Kind of basic for the style really but I will raise my rating from 3.0 due to the nice, subtle sweetness. 3.5

T Prominent bitterness of grapefruit hops which is true to style but not a feature that I enjoy. The taste lingered on the least favorite part of my tongue, the bitter back of it. The bitterness was almost an organic one, like having chewed on some grass for a while. The bitterness was significant and lasted too long. My face cringed about 30 seconds after the last taste. I am not impressed with this taste even if aspects of it are true to style. 2.0

M Appropriately thick physical feel and a rather "big" feeling beer due to the bitterness. 3.5

D It was not easy for me to finish this pint but I did in the spirit of the review. 2.0

Notes: I don't think that there was any problem with too much age on the bottle since the bitter hops were so prominent. Who knows, maybe I will try it again and make sure that it is good and fresh before I do.

2.65/5  rDev -27.2%

orange colored body with a 1 finger head that stayed put for a minute then fell.the head was white and fluffy.

floral smelling hops and some malt tones.

bittering hops smack ya in the face and you dont really taste the malt at all.

The carbonation is pretty easy on this on,its bitter just like it should be.

This is a pretty good ipa but I dont think i'll have it again.It doesnt equal out very well and thats why it gets low points.It needs a tad bit more malt.

2.65/5  rDev -27.2%

A- Pours a semi hazy copper with thick 2 fingers of head that lingers and laces.

S- Not what I like out of an IPA - getting a honey and yeast combo I think. A very faint citrus/pine presence as the beer warms up, but not enough. As it warms it smells a little boozy too.

T- Kind of weird like the smell - not what I would expect or hope for from an IPA. Minimal hop bitterness though not completely missing. It's pretty well balanced I guess, not a total loss. A lingering sweet/toffee like flavor stays in my mouth.

M- Medium Body, a bit too light on carbonation

O- Meh, it's average. Someone who likes maltier IPA's might enjoy this more than I did, but not my cup of IPA.

2.65/5  rDev -27.2%

Cloudy orange-yellow in color with a minimal head even after an aggresive pour. The smell is, you guessed it, hops all the way. The bottle says 7 types and I would like to know which 7.

Hmmm, the flavor is weird. Tastes like something that is burnt and bad. I think that I got a bad one.

2.65/5  rDev -27.2%

Tap sample at the brewery. Bronze with a white 2 finger head, medium carbonation.

Aroma is of pine resin, harsh. Does not invite me in saying, "I'm different". Nothing new here at all, new recipie notwithstanding.

Too many different hops spoiled this brew's flavor here. A muddled hop mess leaving me thinking how did they arrive at the proportions of each. At what point do the varieties cancel each other out or simply become additive of the flavor/aroma of the next? The seven varieties are a gimmick IMHO. I don't feel or taste the alleged beefed up malt bill, trounced by the hop schedule.

Mouthfeel is kind of thin compared to other IPA's double or otherwise.

I loved the single varietal Double Simcoe IPA, a new Weyerbacher release. It lets the hop speak for itself in all its simplicity and that is indeed refreshing. The aroma, in particular, was far superiour.

2.66/5  rDev -26.9%

Pours slightly hazy golden orange with 1" of frothy, golden white head. Leaves behind a webbed coat of lacing.

Not the smell I would expect from something called "Hops Infusion". Not bad on the nose, just very floral and sweet with hints of tropical fruit.

Not bitter, but tart. And not in a good way. Slight tropical fruit taste with a bit of spicy hops, overall bland. It is strange because it smells sweet, but it is actually very dry. There is no indication bottling date or best by date. I am questioning the freshness the beer. I would like to review this again at a later date.

The mouthfeel is then with moderate carbonation. I drank enough of this beer to properly review it, but I actually did not finish it. There was nothing appealing about the taste or drink of this beer. I am glad I had a single bottle and didn't buy a 6 pack.

2.67/5  rDev -26.6%

Pours a dark amber with only froth and no head. Smell is floral hops and some piney hops. Taste is much of the same. Getting some kind of a "soapy" taste in it at the front. Pretty bitter, but coating and cloying. Decent brew, but there are better.

2.71/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I liked Weyerbacher's dirty sock smellin' Double Simcoe DIPA so much, that i decided to pick up a sixer of this. I think it ran me about ten dollars. I have enjoyed every Weyerbacher product that I've tried. So here we go.

Poured out of the bottle that has a close up of a beautiful hop cone(which looks eerily similar to the bud of a related plant. Crystals and all.), and into my Peroni lager glass. Rather dark amber for an American IPA. A bit hazy too. Huge head, very fluffy, good lacing.

Okay, there is something wrong here. It seems like the hops are muted or faded. I think i have an old bottle. The hops are just not there. There is no way Weyerbacher would release an IPA with a lack of hop bite. I'm pretty damn sure this is an old sixer. No date on the bottle. The lack of hops lets other flavors come through, like black tea and lemon.

Overall disappointing. I think i will probably return this to Total Wine or e-mail Weyerbacher. There are way too many decent choices of this style to pay ten bucks for a six-pack of faded beers.

Hops Infusion from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.