Hops Infusion - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Hops InfusionHops Infusion

good

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Made with seven hop varieties, this deep copper-orange IPA is loaded with juicy hop notes of pine, lemon zest, and a layer of pink grapefruit and a strong foundation of toasted caramel malts underneath it all give this beer a complexity that's unparalleled.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hops Infusion Alström Bros
2.55/5  rDev -29.8%

Cloudy orange-yellow in color with a minimal head even after an aggresive pour. The smell is, you guessed it, hops all the way. The bottle says 7 types and I would like to know which 7.

Hmmm, the flavor is weird. Tastes like something that is burnt and bad. I think that I got a bad one.

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance- Reddish Honey with a nice rocky head.

Aroma- Strong piney aroma- Clean.

Taste- Disappointing first taste. Where are the 4x hops? Slight vegetal hop flavor, earthy. The bitterness present is smooth and does linger.

Notes- The beer is clean and drinkable, but leaves something to be desired in the 'ultra hoppy' category. Once again this is a good beer, but there are so many that are hoppier. I think I will have to give this one another shot because I'm not sure if I purchased an old bottle or not. Maybe the hop characters were muted either during aging, or poor handling? The flavor appeared to be very free of infection, but it left a lot to be desired for something that was supposed to be super hoppy.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Presentation: 12 fluid ounce sampling in a brown glass bottle. Single bright orange label that has a picture of a green hop set amidst a red molecular diagram. Labeled as “Hops Infusion Ale”. The label also states that this offering has “4x more hops than our IPA”, well, after just having had the Weyerbacher IPA, is this a boast, or merely an apology I wonder? “7 types of hops are used”, is also mentioned. No strength or Freshness Date.

Appearance: Turbid appearance, milky orange with a golden influence. A wafer-thin, cream colored, broken halo head. Minimal lacing with an average dissolved carbon dioxide level that lends a lively look to the beer when swirled.

Nose: A raw, green, rough and ready aroma of freshly harvested hops. A little bit of citrus and some light caramel malts. Not much else. Bit of a “humbly-jumbly” beer.

Taste: Hops are definitely evident, as expected. Raw hop oils settle on the tongue and slowly disperse, infecting everything with its hop oiliness. Not very smooth, the hops sandpaper the mouth with a sandblasting bitterness, which is nice to a degree.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation leaves a well displaced feeling in the mouth.

Drinkability: The raw hops detract a bit from the Drinkability and let the beer down in my opinion. Still, the 12 ounce bottle soon goes.

Overall: A very hoppy offering as to be expected. By far, this is the best of the 3 Weyerbacher Ales that I have yet had to date. But like the others, it lacks real balance, quality and the refined characteristics needed for a good solid beer. Whereas Hop-heads would have been sadly disappointed with the Weyerbacher IPA, like me, they may well take to this hoppy offering, but I find it coarse and unrefined. Lovers of smoother IPA’s, may find this a bit, “rough at the edges”.

A Big Cheers M8 to Francisweizen for dispatching this one to CA.

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

I recently had a few of these in a Weyerbacher sampler pack. The loud yellow label lets one know what they're in for when they crack one of these. I will not profess myself to be a hophead, but I do enjoy a full hop character and have had many good IPAs before. The smell of this beer is, as others have said, holycrap hoppy. When poured into a glass there is decent head that has moderate retention. Taste is overwhelmingly of bitter hops. I suppose there is a nice play of different flavors, but it somehow lacks coherence. I'd like to see the 7 types listed. Also, I assume it is still dry hopped 4 times, but my bottle lacked the 4X on previous bottlings. I dont know, I like it, but its almost too over the top. I agree that it has a ceratin rawness, or green feel to it. Perhaps this was their aim, and its good to have in a sampler but I'd rather have the pale ale they make just for its overall drinkability. I'd have it again, but not a full case.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a golden orange with a slight haze and an off white head that goes away and leaves no lacing.
Aroma is fruity and flowery hops.
Taste...Will this does has 7 kinds of hops...some pine, floral, fruity, and a ending bit citrusy hops come together, but rather than mix they fight for control...I like the strong hop flavor, but I just wish it was mixed better...
Medium mouthfeel...
Overall I liked it...a nice hop heavy brew...but not well blended...This wont stop me from trying to get more...It just wont get top billing in my beer list...

4.47/5  rDev +23.1%

Pours a deep golden amber color with a tint of orange and a creamy and sticky white head. Nose is fresh raw hops with notes of citrus and pine oil. Medium to full in body with a thick and juicy texture. The flavors are quite aggressive in the mouth with tastes of juicy raw hops at first and some balancing syrupy sweetness followed by bitter grapefruit-rind flavored hop resins and tannins. The hop oils coat the tongue and remain in an aftertaste that lasts until the next sip. Not much of a balanced beer, but if you like hops (and I do) then this is a must-try. If this beer were available here in Texas, I’d always have a few bottles in the fridge. Thanks to francisweizen for the sample!

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hops, heavenly hops. I can describe this beer no other way. There is a sorry lacking of malts and the hophead part of me says who cares? But I know that you need just a tad of balance. Even Arrogant Bastard and HopDevil have a little. The pour revealed a copper beer beneath a pillowy white head. Smeel was citrus, grapefruit through and through. Chinooks were definitely the forefront of the beer. The taste was a little sweet, but mostly it was hops. Seven different ones. Just a hint of toffee malts could be detected. However all the hops produced a pleasant sweet taste. This is not HopDevil nor was meant to be, but its damn tasty nonetheless.

4.33/5  rDev +19.3%

The beer pours a dark gold color with a nice white lace. The aroma is of hops,hops, and more hops. A piney smell hits you and resonates. The flavor is excellant! Hops again. I love this beer. There are a large number of hops, but it doesn't stun you when you drink it. There is a slight maltiness that probably acts as a buffer. Anyway, the body was low and it drank well. A great session beer and a hop lovers treat. The folks at Weyerbacher have a great line up of ales and this one is at the top of my list.

3.7/5  rDev +1.9%

This one poured a deep yellow/gold color with with nice head that leaves some real nice lacing.Aroma is piney hop thru and thru,with a very slight caramel background.Iam not a hop head by any means but this was suprisingly good,I would get again.This did have a little complexity in my opinion not just total hop craziness.

3.38/5  rDev -6.9%

Lots of American hops in this one, very sharp hoppyness. Quite a frothy head. The nose was a bit stinky and composty and also floral at the same time, the flavour was very grapefruity/piney, finish is bitter and a bit spicy. A bit too many hops, but the malt is pretty nice and tasty aswell, soft malts.

4.43/5  rDev +22%

I'm really surprised by this beer. The hops are everywhere and I'm enjoying this completely but I'm also wondering how do they do that?

This one pours golden orange with a fat creamy foam that joins you for the round. Aromas of multitiered hops, all the usual suspects here with citrus,pine,grapefruit, earthy, basically the works. It has a great medium body with the same complex hop flavors everywhere thow in fresh mown grass with the earthy and citrusy hops. The malt is providing a good base but doesn't provide any clue as to it's orgins. The malt is completely hidden from view. Oh well, the hops keep giving long into the night, just mouthcoating in a good way.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

I think my defintion of "infusion" may be wrong. Or, this thing needs to be infused with some more hops! Light copper body with a mild caramel and oily hop nose. As I drink, sticky lace left all over the glass. As marc77 said, this beer is rather one dimensional. Low malt profile, and IMO needs to kick it up a notch (Bam!) with some hoppiness. Decent, would probably make for a good session brew, but nothing spectacular.

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

Light copper hue with a slight chill haze. Thin, tight ivory white head leaves Belgian lace. Grapefruit flesh, lemon tart like light caramel and hop nose combination along with understated pine. Somewhat tame aromawise. Assertive pith like hop bitterness dominates. Pink grapefruit hop flavor. Citrus burps result. Crisp, sharp, but one dimensional hop presence. Token light caramel and residual sweetness. Lacks firm malt backbone. Thinnish, very well attenuated, and passably dextrinous. Finishes lightly bready with hints of soapy hop, but otherwise dry and clean. Crisply hoppy, light on the palate, but otherwise lackluster. Squeaky clean and quaffable.

4.1/5  rDev +12.9%

Golden in color with a white head.
Aroma of citrus and floral hops. Aroma not as strong as I would anticipate for such a heavily hopped beer.

Taste shows a grainy malt backbone. 7 types of hops in this one. Citrus hop flavors noted mostly with piney and floral as well. There's something in the taste I can't quite put my finger on, but it's almost a honey like quality. Surprisingly not bitter at all. Flavor is not as bold as I would anticipate.

Good mouthfeel.
Very drinkable for a beer this heavily hopped.

Overall, a good beer, but the Dreadnaught IPA and Buckeye Brewing Hippie IPA I had after it were better IMO. Still a must try for hop-heads.

4.45/5  rDev +22.6%

Color is pale copper with lots of floaty things swimming around about to make a home on my taste buds and one major crown on top that stuck around like a unwanted relative at Thanksgiving. It poured out to reach over three inches high and tumbled over the top of the glass. I wasn't expecting it to explode upon pouring, none the less, the head crumbled very slowly with large bubbles, divets and marshmellowy like lacing attaching itself to the glass like thick spiderman webbing.
The smell reeks of its namesake - hops! and plenty of them. Amazingly sweet, citrusy sharp hop sense with a dry wood-like backing, reminded of super dry kindling cedar firewood. Its like the hops are dried out but made into liquid form somehow? Infusion, eh?
Hops, hops, and what the hell, some more hops, mostly in the middle through to the finish, really not all that strong but makes a welcome presense. Lightly citrusy, floral, woody, earthy drying and a good hop bitterness, but somehow put together smoothly without being over the top or hop heavy.
Medium body a bit lighter then I expected and to me the only real thing lacking in this brew.
A hop heads delight - life is to short to have not tried this hop infusion. Fusion indeed.

Thanks to Francisweizen for the bottle.

2.93/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer was not too good IMO. It poured with a H.U.G.E. head that would not die down. It took me 5 minutes to pour this beer. The colour of this beer was hazy orange with plenty of funky hop bits and yeasties in the mix. The aromas were nice...hoppy, malty, delectable. The taste? This is a well balanced ale and the hop flavor was a bit too weak IMO. This beer tasted like honey coated hop candy more than a strong IPA. The mouthfeel was smooth and reminded me of a cask ale but this stuff was just too over carbonated for my liking. The drinkability was not the best either.

Interesting!
-F

4.28/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm going to be way off the average on this beer, but I've got to rate what I found. To my taste this one of the finest hop ales going. The hops are there alright, but not over the top. In fact, I think the hops are as tamed and balanced on this keg of ale as I've ever tasted. A nice hazy, light amber look with a creamy ivory head greeted me. The nose is hoppy, but comes with its sidekick, a robust body of caramel malt. The flavor is a greatly enjoyable blend of balanced hopping with plenty of sweet malty backbone. I just love this ale! It is smooth and eminently drinkable. Two thumbs up.

2.83/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is beer is way too much of a gimmick to me, I think when they decide to brew a beer like this they were just trying ot cash in on the extreme beer market. Little did they know what makes IPAs like Ruination, 60 min and 90min great is the fact that they threw a ton of hops in and still balanced out the flavors. This beer appears a semi-cloudy orange copper tone, with a nice full cream colored head very nice. Seven hop varieties so the aroma ya there are some hops here, hops of every variety: floral, earthy, pine cone like, and citrus tones. One huge bouquet of hops, enjoy this factor of the hodgepodge of different type of hops coming together. Flavor is all hops little malt hurts the overall taste of this beer. Kick's you in the teeth one beer that is not overly hopped just underly malted. So, I stand by my opinion that this beer is a gimmick and the mouthfeel get ready for some hep resin thickness that I actually like the moutfeel to. Not that drinkable, but worth a try. This isn't a hopheads beer, it's just too unbalanced to drink more than one.

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

WVBeergeek and I each bought one of these at the Creekhouse. It poured a Hazy amber body topped with an off-white head. Minimal head retention. Nice floral hop aroma. And Pine. And citrus. Slightly sweet initial taste, followed by a burst of hops. This is a hophead's delight. It's very hoppy with virtually no malt, save for the first sip. Different varieties of hops are evident. The label says 7 types are used. Floral, pine, and citrus notes in the flavor as well. Good mouthfeel, but average drinkability. This is a lopsided, hoppy ale that could use some more malt in it. I was suprised to find that it was 6.2% ABV, because in my discussion with Tony, I was sure this was a mid 4% beer. Alcohol (and anything else that touches your tastebuds) is masked by the hops. A beer worth trying for hop lovers.

3.63/5  rDev 0%

This beer poured a dark gold color and formed a white head that disapated leaving trace lace on the sides. A small amount of carbonation was present. The aroma was heavy of hops and also present was some malt and caramel. the flavor was of malt and hops with a touch of citrus. The finish was a bit on the bitter side, maybe reflecting the heavy use of hops in this beer.

2.98/5  rDev -17.9%

Now, I'm as much of a hophead as the next guy, but this seems a bit reckless and over the top. Certainly not subtle. There's a difference between the artful use of hops, even in mass quantities, and the willy-nilly tossing together of seven (yes, seven) different hop varieties. I imagine only a few of those varieties actually complement each other, so what you end up with is a whole lot of bitter, with no balance whatsoever (IMHO). And with all the hops floating around in there, there is practically no malt aspect to this beer. But then again, with a name like "Hops Infusion," why am I complaining about the malt? Don't get me wrong -- I like Weyerbacher, and I'm mildly amused by this beer. It just seems a bit, well, gimmicky.

Cloudy light-orange. Strong hops aroma, of course. Thin but resilient head. Lacing is slight but lingers.

Sheesh! Very, very hoppy taste. Coppery and bitter. Sour. Not enough malt backbone to stand up to the hops.

This takes getting used to. At first, one is put off. Then, you sense the hops, and only the hops, and you begin to enjoy the hops in their pureness. This is a beer that you sip.

Not the kind of beer that I would come back to often, but certainly one that I am glad to have tried. This is truly a hops exploration.

3.7/5  rDev +1.9%

A creamy colored Godzilla sized head forms from a light pour. Head is stable and rests on top a body thats copper colored with a burnt orange hue. Color is similiar to Blue Moon, just a little darker. Aroma is an orgy of hops. Bitter, floral, and spicy aromas overwhelm the senses. Flavor is extremely well balanced for the supposed amount of hops they use in this brew. Flavors from grapefruit to sour candy to butterscotch-like? are noticeable in this brew. There are notes of gentle Caaz hops and powerful Cascade and everything in between. With that in mind I can see why the Bro's didnt list this as an IPA. It may rough your taste buds up but it doesn't kick their ass like so many hopped up beers do. Fairly drinkable if you're up to the challenge. Otherwise its a fight your palate may lose in the long run.

3.03/5  rDev -16.5%

Presentation: 12oz. amber bottle. No freshness dating. Label states "7 types of hops" and "4X more hops than our IPA". Hmmm....

Appearance: Poured a hazy honey color. Small, creamy head dies to a tiny layer atop the beer. Patchy lacing of the glass.

Smell: Nice aroma. Floral, spicy, and citrus all combine well.

Taste: Me OldFrothingSlosh. Me hophead. That being said, I certainly expected more of a kick from the supposed quadrupling of the hops (which begs the question of what is the IBU of their "regular" IPA?). This is not the case. While there may be vast quantities of hops in this beer, together they do not offer a satisfying flavor. I just couldn't pick out any defining taste in this beer. Frustrating indeed, as I am one who loves the hop. And was excited to try this. Other than the hodge-podge of hoppy flavors battling it out on my tongue, I didn't taste any truly noticeable malty sweetness. All hops.

Mouthfeel: Average. Crisp and well-carbonated.

Drinkability: The very dry and crisp finish, with minimal aftertaste still didn't make this a "I must have another drink" beer. An "earthy" aftertaste was a turn-off.

3.38/5  rDev -6.9%

A golden pour with a mediocre little white head on top that dies quickly to a lace. With so much talk about hops on the label, I was expecting this brew to jump on me with intensity. I guess I acted too soon. The aroma had a nice spicy hop aroma that was a very cool blend of a few, but it was not really leaping out of the glass.

This was not a bad brew, but witth (4X the hops of their IPA), there must be no hops in their IPA. It had very nice blends of hops in the flavor to make it spicy, but I would not say it was loaded. It was good, but it was just a little dull. The body was medium to light, and the carbonation was just right. It was very drinkable.

Hops Infusion from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.