Blithering Idiot - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Blithering IdiotBlithering Idiot

good

poor

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English Barleywine |  11.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blithering Idiot Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,967 | Reviews: 863
3.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Brown body with a decent white head fades quickly leaves no lacing.
S - Dark fruit, raisins, figs, etc. Molasses, brown sugar.
T - Caramel, brown sugar, dark fruit, alcohol. Only an eight month old bottle. Burn has settled a little, b ut I imagine it'd be smoother with another six months.
M - Thick body, low carbonation. Coats the palate and doesn't leave.
O - A good barleywine. Worth trying especially if you're a fan of the style.

3.46/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown color, totallly full of thn floating thingies. Half finger of foam, scarce.
In the smell a wall of maltiness, with light note of american hops. Dry fruitiness, molasses, raisins, dry figs.
Full taste, malty and honeyed notes, and fruit, too. Dry figs and nuts, overal. Then some hop, just for the balance.
Some alcohol is perceptible.
Full bodied, liquorous finish.
Quite malty aftertaste.
Not bad.

While I wouldn't use the phrase "sugar bomb," this is a REALLY sweet barleywine, almost cloyingly so but not quite. Oddly, the sweetness became less offensive as it warmed up.

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

This was my first barley wine. I was reluctant to try barley wine because I'm not a huge wine fan. The first sip tasted like wine, but from past experience I drank on. By the end of the first bottle my palate had adjusted and I was liking the flavor. I ended up drinking all 4 and felt like crap the next day, but, all in all a good experience for my first barley wine.

3.18/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Chestnut brown colored with a fingernail of beige head covering a majority of the top. Aroma is virtually nonexistent despite repeated attempts. The flavor is a boozy, malty, alcoholic assault. There's a light nutty element Intwined. The mouth is boozy and gently burns on the aY down.

3.21/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

5/7/14
12oz bottle served in a laser etched wine glass. Freshness date is 12/19/2014.

Appearance: weird orange color with hints of red. Amazingly clear, there was a fluffy head that lasted for about 1.3 seconds, now nothing. Alcohol content maybe, my glass was just cleaned.

Nose: bland, kinda stale aroma of some hops and malt. Wet dog maybe...

Taste: hot alcohol, solvents, dried fruit, very low carbonation, minor hops bitterness but mostly the malt and alcohol come through.

Overall: age me please. I'll see you in a year.

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle has been in the cellar for a couple of years to help smooth out the strong alcohol feel and flavor.

Very sweet smelling and tasting, but very pleasant. Rich and creamy. Great after dinner beer and certainly a sipper. Not much bitterness at all which causes it to be a bit too malty for me, but that's what one would expect from an 11% beer. Nice alcohol warmth but not overpowering. Could definitely get into trouble on a colder day drinking this one too quick.

Not the greatest barleywine, but certainly one worth trying if you're a fan of the style.

3.98/5  rDev +9.3%

I don't understand all the terrible scores, especially the "bros" score. I thought this beer was pretty decent. Maybe they changed the recipe???

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

One is okay every now and again. Super weird taste and it's pretty damn strong

3.59/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It's a good Barleywine. Tastes better than it looks

1.48/5  rDev -59.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Not a good beer. I poured it out.

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: Amber, slightly hazy, half-finger head that dissipates rather quickly.
S: Malty, spicy
T: Very malty, finish reminds me of Belgians.
M: Flat, super thick.
O: I enjoyed it. The mouthfeel lets you know that it's going to be a heavy beer. It's very much a Belgian beer, and could probably be labeled as such since the finish has a strange twist that ping-pongs my taste buds (think: malty, malty, malty, twang). One hell of a way to get drunk fast, since my mouth numbed up pretty quickly, and I only noticed the malt towards the end. Lacks breadth, but has depth, if that makes sense.

1.66/5  rDev -54.4%

This was easily the WORST thing i have EVER drank. It was like someone took a cheap red wine and mixed it with a cheap American lager (ala bud light). I bought a pack weeks ago and can't even get drunk enough to stomach it. Just. Frigging. Terrible.

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer has good taste from begining to end. On my third six pack. I went to the the Weyerbacher Brewery, nice operation. Blithering is a high ABU beer.
I am a D-beer kinda guy. I enjoy it every bottle I drink.

3.52/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot last week for $3.19 at The Lager Mill. I've been working my way through the Weyerbacher lineup and I thought it was time to give this Barleywine a try, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 2/15/15. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice design to it and it's eye catching. It poured an amber red color that took on of a ruby red hue when held to the light with a half a fingers worth of bubbly light tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish the head and retention were just a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with a fruity aroma being the first to show up and it imparts a mixture of apples and light dark fruit aromas with no single aspect sticking out the most. Up next comes a slight alcohol aroma that leads into the malts which are on the lighter side and they impart some sweet malt, caramel malt, caramel and grainy aromas. This beer has a nice aroma, but I wish it was a little more complex.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with very high amount of medium sweetness with the same fruity aspects that I got in the aroma being the first to show up, but this time they aren't as bright and they are just a little lighter. Up next comes a noticeable alcohol flavors that isn't too warming and it's followed by the malts which are lighter like they were in the aroma and they impart the same aspects with caramel and sweet malts seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's no bitterness with some sweetness and booze taking it's place and it had a fruity aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, but just like aroma I wish it was more complex.

M- Fairly smooth, not too cloying, slightly crisp, on the very thick side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. This beer has a nice mouthfeel that works well with it.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was it a nice example of an English Style Barleywine, but In the end it didn't turn out as great as some of the better ones I've had, it just lacked the complexity and big mouthfeel that some of that better ones seem to have and it left me wanting more. This beer has nice drinkability, it's fairly smooth, not too cloying, slightly crisp, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think one is a good amount for me, I don't really have the urge to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was how true to style it was, besides lacking it complexity it had pretty much all the things that I look for in the style. What I like the least about this beer is the lack of complexity, that aspect could use some work. I would buy this beer again, but I'm not going to go out of my way to stock up on it and I would say it worth a try if you are a fan of the style. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love, it needs a little work, but I think it has potential. IT's not a favorite Weyerbacher beer and it's right about average for the style. Nice job guys, but I think with a little more work this could be a very nice Barleywine.

So good! Tried it for the first time today just to get a high percentage in. Very pleasantly surprised.

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Awesome beer...little boozy, not more than one an evening for me...

2.38/5  rDev -34.6%

11.1% ABV, Original Gravity: 26.2p, 34 IBU's.
Hopped with Northern Brewer (B), Perle (B), Hallertuaer.
12oz bottle.
Pours out to a medium amber, forming a soft yellow head with good retention and solid lacing. Carbonation is moderately brisk, ~2.75 carbs or so. The nose is ripe with figs, dates, belgian candi sugar, grape juice, plums, cherries and apple juice. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with a dense body. Tastes like a fruit salad, lots of grapes, fugs and dates. Modestly strong oxidized wet cardboard flavor half way through with moderate higher alcohols and soy sauce like yeast autolysis with mild herbal bitterness.

The oxidation and higher alcohols definitely ruin this for me. Not a very good or very well brewed beer. I definitely wouldn't buy this again. Drain pour. Blithering indeed,

3.15/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours dark copper and slightly hazy with a solid finger of light khaki and creamy foam.

Earthy, dark fruits, cherry, toasted malt, and some spicy yeast aroma.

Spicy yeast, dark fruit, toasted dinner rolls, and slightly odd.

Medium-heavy bodied, medium carbonation, spicy, astringent, not good.

Overall, this pours well and smells halfway decent, but the flavor and mouthfeel are rather bizarre and off-putting.

2.48/5  rDev -31.9%

Looked good. Had some interesting aromas (some sort of spicy hop or yeast note that was interesting), along with some bready maltiness. Fell apart on the taste and mouthfeel. Really muddy, nothing distinct or stand out shining through. Would not recommend. Still haven't found a decent Weyerbacher brew.

4.41/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A little light on the nose, and slightly dry for my tastes. But overall a great barley wine. The newer batches must be much better then the old.

3.02/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Bottling date of 01/05/15

Appearance - Pours a relatively clear copper red color with a beige head that peaks at about half a finger's thickness. Poor retention results in a mostly barren surface with a razor thin ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell - Strong cherry aroma backed by notes of caramel and banana.

Taste - Notes of cherry and caramel upfront and throughout. Distant banana undertone that peaks through mid-taste. Cloyingly sweet finish with an astringent aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Sits somewhere between medium to full in body with a sticky texture; like maple syrup cut with water. Low carbonation. Drying finish.

Overall - People have compared this to cough syrup, and I have to agree that to an extent it does have a cherry cough syrup. Very little balance, no depth, and really just kind of a big ol' mess. Maybe it would age to something better, but I won't be the one to try it.

4.79/5  rDev +31.6%

cherry taste, just wish it was a little thicker

4.68/5  rDev +28.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This has been a household fav for a few years now.

2.3/5  rDev -36.8%

Young for a barleywine. Give new batches some age.

Blithering Idiot from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.