Winter Ale - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Winter AleWinter Ale

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

This beer is not spiced.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-24-2001)

Monkeypuker, Jan 28, 2014
1.36/5  rDev -60.1%

jedk, Monday at 01:25 AM
1.75/5  rDev -48.7%

The beer came in a handsomely labeled bottle, and poured out dark red, with a decent sized foamy off white head. The aroma was that of roasted grains, and grassy hops. The taste was where things started to go downhill. The taste was down right weird, with off putting wet paper, leather, and rubber tastes mixed with some aweful spices. The mouthfeel was thin and watery as well. Bad on several levels. Not quite sinking to a drain pour level, but flirting pretty close.

rajendra82, Dec 12, 2004
1.8/5  rDev -47.2%

I had this beer last year, I seem to remember it being better however I will review the batch I just had.
This beer pours dark with a nice head which takes a few minuets to dissapate.

I could not smell any any flavor in this brew. The tast was bland, almost like flat soda but without the carbonation.

I could taste the alchohol in the brew but not much else. This was just a bland and unexciting beer. This is the first beer I ever had from Weyerbacher that I did not think was great.

I will try this again, just to see if I had a bad batch or if this beer really is this bad.

microbrewlover, Jan 02, 2012
1.95/5  rDev -42.8%

I was pretty disappointed by this beer. This really did not strike me as a winter warmer. This beer really lacked anything "special" for the holidays.

This beer has a very off-putting smell. The taste is somewhat salty; it doesn't sit well on the tongue. It is very much like a nut brown in flavor, though very thin in mouthfeel. To me it tasted like a "nut brown MGD" if you can imagine that. There was a striking resemblence.

Don't waste your time with this one. There are plenty of better brews out there

andyo, Dec 09, 2005

darkhorseT, Nov 21, 2011

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011

djrn2, Dec 21, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -39.9%

Had high hopes for this one - fan of the brewery and of the style but this one misses the mark.

A: Somewhat amber dark with a very minimal head.

S: Nuts and malts without the hopiness of spices that I was hoping for. Didnt really come off as a winter warmer?

T: Bready and malty. Lack of any hop flavorings or spice- really not much up front or in the depth of the taste here. A little sugary sweetness but not much else.

M: Moderately carbonated and fairly smooth texture.

D: Low because it just really wasnt that good and would not consider this one a 'warmer'.

There are far too many other winter beers out there that this one pales in comparison to. Hope for a better faring next year.

marcpal, Dec 24, 2007
2.15/5  rDev -37%

Dark brown color, very light carbonation. Smell doesn't really exist, I guess if I were to nit pick I could smell a hint of chocolate/malts. Tastes like a watery shitty guiness, not a big fan of this one. It is easy to drink however, if you like watery shitty guiness.

JoshW, Nov 12, 2008
2.17/5  rDev -36.4%

~45F bottle poured in to room temp glass.

A - Dark red/brown

S - Nearly nothing. Slightly sour malt

T - not impressed. Watery and mild. Weak malt with some bittering hops at the finish to barely cling on to the category of "beer". No real flavor at all.

M - Thin and watery

D - probably couldn't drink much of this as the taste was unpleasing.

Very atypical of Weyerbacher. Unfortunately weak for this style.

bfr1992t, Nov 22, 2006

TTripp725, Nov 29, 2013

Garlicjosh, Dec 21, 2012

SteveLimoncello, Dec 31, 2013

Alex5, Dec 10, 2013
2.29/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

12oz single, new holland 2009 pint

A winter ale, an english brown, a beer. A rather lifeless, mostly clear cola-brown body - odorless, mostly flavorless. Some chocolate malt, a bitter dryness in the finish, really just nothing to say about this one. Weyerbacher tends to be all over the map - this is a low point.

dirtylou, Jan 19, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -32.6%

Here's a beer that could stand to be reworked or revamped or re-whatevered.

The bud light of winter warmers....I'm pretty sure I could bong this stuff if I was still in college.

Nose....unremarkable..really not much of any aroma..

Taste...unremarkable...nothing bad...just very light flavored with mild cocoa notes...almost like a light nut brown ale..

Body...unremarkable...one of the lightest bodied winter warmers I've had...Like I mentioned light bodied even for a brown ale..

Drinkability...unremarkable...but perfect for those who want a winter warmer with little to no flavor or character..

While I enjoy the bigger winter beers, I also can appreciate a well made, tasty medium weight effort like this years Schell's Snowstorm....this one though is just simple unremarkable....I like a lot of Weyerbachers stuff and was looking forward to this but came away very disappointed.

ZAP, Jan 07, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle, poured into a chalice at 45 degrees.

A - From opening the bottle to the pour, sounded and looked the same as if I were pouring a Pepsi into my Duvel glass. A lot of carbonation at first, but it fizzed out pretty quickly. I will say that as it warmed up, it took more of an amber color, but stayed more on the brown side for awhile.

S - Smells stale and musty. Expected some kind of balance (i.e. sweet and spice), but nothing there.

T - Just nothing. I literally can't believe this taste...I keep thinking there has to be something there. I get a mildly malty flavor, but there's nothing backing it up.. My wife described it as club soda with alcohol, and that's not too far from the truth.

M - Not bad...no carbonation present in the glass, but a pretty bubbly finish gives it some life. A little alcohol in the aftertaste and a lighter-medium body.

D - Not enjoyable, to be blunt. The worst winter selection I've had this year...not any representation of Weyerbacher at all. I'm not going to hold it against them at all because of their other fine products.

JohnnyM2002, Jan 13, 2007
2.38/5  rDev -30.2%

Pours a very deep brown with mahogany highlights and a pearl white head that recedes quickly and leaves very little lace.

Very sweet and malty to the nose with some roastiness and a lot of molasses. A hint of chocolate and honey is also detectable. If this beer has an upside, it’s the aroma.

Very mild and a bit bland. Malty with a some roastiness. Dry with just a hint of molasses. Not a lot of flavor, I must admit. I don't like to trash beers, but this selection is watery and doesn't have much flavor.

Clean and moderately dry. Smooth on the tongue but with a slightly metallic quality. Not a lot of body or texture. Rather watery and uneventful. This selection is certainly not representative of all Weyerbacher's beers. I've had some really great stuff from them, but this one is not something I would suggest.

letsgopens, Nov 14, 2007
2.42/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark brownish red with a tan head that goes by the wayside very fast. Smells like super sweet booze. Some cherry smoked wood and a bit of caramel.
Taste is slightly medicinal. Almost like cherry NyQuil. The malts underneath are sweet and dark. Can't tell what types. The cherry like flavor disappears almost entirely, but the beer continues to be a slightly boozey and overly sweet brew. The hop bitterness at the end is nice and earthy. Mouthfeel is very effervescent and medium bodied.
Ugh! Too sweet, odd characteristics. a bit of spice in the flavor but it just gets lost by everything else. I can't figure out what this is. Just weird and not very good for a brewery I tend to really like.

Thads324, Dec 22, 2011
Winter Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.