Quad - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

QuadQuad

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-17-2001)

4.83/5  rDev +25.5%

A fellow beer enthusiast gave me a bottle of this that had been aging in his cellar for a few years--so what I report here might be slightly different from what you get in a bottle straight from the store.

On the nose, this ale smells like what I'd expect from a well-aged bottle of port: heavy, thick, dark fruit (especially prune) scents dominate, with hints of natural spiciness.

On the tongue, these thick, dark fruits explode, literally filling your mouth and nasal cavity, almost making your eyes water with joy. The similarities between this ale and a port continue, the sugary prune/raisin, almost cognac-like flavors dominating, reminding me of a mixture of melted brown sugar, butter, and pure vanilla. But these are accompanied by distinctly beer flavors, especially toffees and caramels, a hint of chocolate malt, and some light hops that linger ever-so-slightly on the tongue, bringing a nice balance to what could otherwise be an overwhelmingly sugary-sweet brew.

If this beer could be faulted for anything, it's that it might be too potent and sugary. I can see how the massiveness of this ale could drive some away; this is just about the farthest thing from a Budweiser you could get, and still be drinking a beer. I, however, think it's magnificent. Five stars.

4.83/5  rDev +25.5%

I found a case of this dated from 2004 at my beer store near my house.

I got home and cracked open my first Quad ever, took a sip, and drove back down there and purchased the other 2 cases!!

Smell-deep smells of prunes and figs.

Appearance-lots of sediment and cloudy with an dark amber appearance.

Taste-like heaven on earth!! got lots of the prunes/figs and date flavors I smelled but could NOT taste the 11.8% abv alcohol. This beer has aged incredibly!!
The 2004 lost almost all the belgian yeast flavor, but was still awesome!!
This is my favorite beer ever.

I tried a new bottle from 2011 and had a similiar view but with more of the alcohol flavor present and more belgian yeast flavor present.

4.78/5  rDev +24.2%

Whoa, this is some serious shit. My local packy has a, limited line of Weyerbacher, and this one was new today. I know these types of beers generally improve over time, but this beer is fantastic!! I am totally blown away even at $17 a six pack.

Deep, yet pale tarnished penny, not much of a head, but considering this is a pretty fresh beer, I'll take the qualities as I get them....fresh. Com'n it's and American quad. Smell just blew me away, totally reeked of alcohol, but very fruity, plums and alcohol adn more alcohol.

As I was drinking this beer, I was like,, like, like, well you know know, this is some strong shit. Great beer.

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

No freshness date, but it's been in my cellar for about 5 months. It's brethern await a future session.

Pours a silky light tan head over a glowing orb of deep amber. Head receds leaving a few bands and dots of lace. Aromas of spice and sweet malt reach my nose before I’ve even raised my tulip. There’s also a bit of earth and some floral hops in the nose. Rich malt leads the flavors accompanied by a nice, yet mild, pepper and coriander spiciness. Some mild berry-like flavors and a decent wallop of earth as well. The hop are earthy and contribute a subtle balancing bitterness. A generous sweetness, but it’s definitely not slick, cloying or overpowering-- well-balanced by the other components of the beer. Full bodied, low carbonation. Smooth in the mouth with a clean to mildly dry finish and just a nip of alcohol at the end.

A study of balance. Great complexity and interesting layers of flavor and aroma. Some may find the malt to be a bit on the heavy-handed side, but I find the ale to be well-balanced overall. Then again, I do love malt. The mouthfeel is extraordinary: soft and full, but not overbearing. This ale fills the mouth and mind.

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

Quad from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.