Quad - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

QuadQuad

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-17-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Beastcpa

1.5/5  rDev -60.9%

07-12-2014 00:08:15 | More by Beastcpa
FlemingVSKing

1.58/5  rDev -58.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Maybe I just don't get Brandywine's but this is almost undrinkable. I very much enjoy beers like Sublimely Self Righteous Ale, 13th Hour and even lighter varieties like Noble Pils.

The mouthfeel here is more like a wine, no fizz and borders on a thin cough syrup. Zero head but it's deep red color isn't all bad. The flavor is also reminiscent of cough syrup. It doesn't really like a beer much at all.

Outside of the cough syrup like fruit flavor, there is a strong taste of alcohol. I just don't get why that would be appealing to anybody, but cheers if you like it. I wouldn't drink it if I were you though.

03-12-2013 07:35:37 | More by FlemingVSKing
bubseymour

Maryland

1.63/5  rDev -57.6%

A = Amber color with minimal head that instantly disappears. Moderate carbonation. Very disappointing appearance for a quad.

S = Uggh smells like thick, sweet cough syrup. Now I'm scared.

T = Yep. Cherry cough Syrup with a boozy burn of a finish.

Mouthfeel - if there is any saving grace, at least it has a warm buttery mouthfeel.

Overall - I really am trying to find some positive comments but I just can't find anything with this beer. A very poor and failed attempt at a complex to craft Belgian style beer, but Weyerbacher got it all wrong. Only other quads I had was a Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus Apt 12, but I loved in all aspects. I had about 5-6 sips of this quad and had to unfortunately drainpour as it was gagging me worse with each attempt to sip. An undrinkable mess of a beer. Sorry for the harsh review.

04-18-2012 00:32:50 | More by bubseymour
drinkiusmaximus

1.95/5  rDev -49.2%

This is my First ever quad and this being outside my favorite style please keep these facts in mind if reading this review.

A-Quite nice a darkcopper to light brown color with a thin film of head which recedes to a ring but does not lace.

S- so here is where the party stops..you get a hit of booze strong right away rummish in nature but fruit esters present as well can smell the belgian yeasts.

T-completely wrecked by the prescence of Alchohol i am failing to taste much because i am so blown away by the booziness.

M-one of the high points medium bodied and does not linger too long which is nice because of the sharp alcohol notes.

D-I may try another of these in the future but not in the recent future as i will need time for the memory of the experience of this brew to fade...

Prost!!!

08-17-2010 04:40:40 | More by drinkiusmaximus
BGsWo22

03-23-2013 18:45:08 | More by BGsWo22
Kudashov

2.03/5  rDev -47.1%

Well time to review this brew with Elvis Costello " Shipbuilding " on the Hi-Fi . This song I have not heard in a while . It is one of my favs from Mr. MacManus . As for this beer , lets say I will not be going to my " beer monger " to pull this out of the archives . When poured in my Rapscallion snifter there is no head on the muddy , caramel , brown fluid . The smell of sweetness , raisins and currants . The taste of this is not very good . Sweet and too boozy . There is no burn but there is just too much going on when it is in my mouth . When I taste the Rochefort 10 , I was in awe of the flavor and drinkability . It is fantastic . As for Quad , it is like too much sugar in my mouth . like Robitussin . Awful . Maybe if I tried this again with another BA journeyman - who knows his stuff and for what I should look for - this might be better . Even with it warming up , it was a bomb . Nearly my 2nd drain pour out to pleasant Dorchester Bay for the tuna that roam there .

05-03-2007 16:41:30 | More by Kudashov
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

2.05/5  rDev -46.6%

12oz bottle into a snifter

A: Certainly the lightest quad I've ever seen, this beer is a dark golden/orange color with a finger of white head that quickly recedes to a ring.

S: Am I smelling the right beer? This beer is heavy spices of nutmeg and brandy soaked bananas. I get no dark fruits or toffee, no breadiness. Not very quad like and not that good anyways.

T: Similar to the aroma, I get lots of brandy soaked bananas and spices. I now get some dark fruits, but very little. Odd and not very quad like.

M: On the thick side with light but nice carbonation.

O: This tastes more like a cross of a Barleywine and a tripel. I do not like it very much and do not recommend this beer. It's not terrible, but certainly not even average.

06-09-2012 00:25:30 | More by coreyfmcdonald
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

2.08/5  rDev -45.8%

I found this beer very raw and upfront. Lots of sweetness and quite yeasty (some cheesyness), some very raw peppery alcohol, quite sugary. Not very elegant or rounded or anything. A bit too sweet and raw for my tastes, with too much alcohol in the finish. Not a fan.

06-28-2003 01:51:46 | More by rastaman
sprackops

2.1/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle with a grey and purple label. No freshness date. Poured into a 14oz chalice.

Appearance: Slightly red shade of brown. Very cloudy. Minimal head dissipates quickly.

Smell: Over-ripe bananas, apples and brown sugar. No detectable hops presence, but plenty of alcohol.

Taste: More of the bananas, apples and brown sugar found in the nose. Very sweet and very alcoholic. If there are any hops in here, I can't taste them. Unbalanced.

Mouthfeel: Quite syrupy. Leaves the tongue feeling sticky for a long while.

Drinkability: All of the above qualities plus the ABV taken into consideration, I don't think I'll be having a second.

Comments: Though I want to like them, I just don't think I'll ever enjoy Weyerbacher's Belgian styles. Saying nothing about the matter of balance, something about the yeast strain simply doesn't agree with me. Like Merry Monks, this is what I imagine prison hooch tastes like; rotten bananas and alcohol gone wild.

01-18-2005 07:29:52 | More by sprackops
jrallen34

2.13/5  rDev -44.5%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a weird tea color with a little white head or carbonation, disappointing look.

The aroma is very quadish with chocolate and raisins dominating.

The taste is very strange not good at all. Weird notes of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is poor and its not drinkable to me.

Im tasting this with an R10 so maybe its skewing the results, but not good in general.

09-13-2009 00:08:06 | More by jrallen34
evilkalla

Alabama

2.25/5  rDev -41.4%

Serving: 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: A clear, raisin-brown colored liquid. No head to speak of, almost no carbonation to be seen.

S: Faint malty sweetness.

T: Some candy and brown sugar taste, however there is a strong resemblance to harsh rum in this one. It finishes somewhat syrupy with a sharp alcohol bite to it. I don't like it at all.

M: Almost no carbonation to it at all. A somewhat filmy feel to it which is expected from a beer of this gravity. Overall not a bad mouthfeel, but there is a strong alcohol burn in the back of my throat which I dislike.

D: This beer just doesn't taste good. Had three our four sips but I'm going to toss the rest.

08-10-2010 02:17:59 | More by evilkalla
TurdFurgison

2.38/5  rDev -38%

Poured this from a 12oz bottle into a St. Bernardus chalice. Poured a translucent (but on the see-through side of translucent) orange-hued brown. No real head to speak of. The lack of head made the beer uninviting at the outset.

First sniff hints of an old ale, maybe a wee heavy. I think I can smell the ethanol too.

On tasting I think this is very sweet and malty. Definitely the alcohol presence is felt from the very first sip. The mouthfeel is syrupy and heavy. The flavor really isn't objectionable to me, but it isn't what I understand a quad to be taste-wise. The alcohol is way too overpowering. The whole package reminds me of wee heavy-flavored cough syrup. And that's not good.

Weyerbacher surprised me again. This tasted like a medicinal old ale. On the yucky side,,,

10-04-2005 22:50:38 | More by TurdFurgison
CampusCrew

2.4/5  rDev -37.5%

at rendezvous in st augustine

appearance: quad? really. looked like a light brown ale. surprised

smell: strong swetness, dominant brown sugar and dark sweet fruits

taste: huge sweetness and ruined the beer. lots of raisin fig type flavor. the sweetest belgian ale i have ever had.

mouthfeel: medium bodied, and little carb for a belgian

drinkability: I was really excied to finally find this beer and it was a huge let down.

03-07-2010 17:42:42 | More by CampusCrew
Crittervision

2.42/5  rDev -37%

man. i am drinking this right now. it is not amazing. but that is okay. i am sure it is for some. lets see.
it reminds me more of wheatwine than quad.
its got a punchy sour alchoholy smell. kinda disturbing. not welcoming. its thick and you can see it when you look through the glass. parallel lines, wood grain-like lines forming... not sure what that means, i know its thick, but im sure its a signal for something im not totally familiar with. that its sticky and viscous? yes, it is. taste is a little banana and double bubble gum. its thick. the smell is there to remind again, too thick. carbonation is not overpowering, but its not working one way or another. its not adding to, its not detracting from, its just there. maybe its helping to pull the taste away from my tongue. i dunno, there is just too much alcohol in the smell and taste, and not enough flavor to offset that. one of the few that provokes a review...

04-14-2009 03:56:50 | More by Crittervision
Flyer

Wisconsin

2.45/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I wish this hadn't been one of the first Weyerbachers I've reviewed, because I love this brewery, but this is not one of their better efforts. Deep burgundy pour with a weak head. Intense brown sugar aromas, followed by lots of harsh, sweet/tart brown sugar notes in the flavor. I like it when alcohol makes its presense known, but this is not the gentle wafting sensation i want from alcohol, it's an assault. (And I'm a fan of beers with even higher ABV's.) There's some crabapple, berry, and a little caramel in the background, but if these were just brought forward to mitigate the harshness, this would be a better beer. I'm bringing three other Weyerbachers (all previously tried, and loved) back to the Midwest with me, and I'm sure I'll give them better reviews.

03-29-2008 21:27:43 | More by Flyer
rapidsequence

12 oz bottle.

Appearance: The first pour into the tulip is perfectly clear and orange-golden color. It color is too light for a quad. It looks like an IPA. The head is very foamy at first, but fades in a minute or so and leaves little lacing. Subsequent pours have suspended yeast particles.

Smell: Smells very sweet and boozy. Sweet fruits like peach and apricot and some darker raisiny hints too. A nice dose of yeasty breadiness too. With a deep whiff, the alcohol burns the nose a little.

Taste: The flavors are those of the nose, but they're spoiled by intense ethanol and solventy fusel alcohol. Its so hot that its hard to drink. I'm tempted to say it tastes like liquor, but its closer to gasoline or paint thinner. What a shame.

Mouthfeel: Too thin in body, but its got some syrupy feel to it. Hard to tell with the solvents melting my brain.

Drinkability: Not good, I might pour this. The weird thing is I've had this before and thought it was OK-- at least drinkable. This one is not.

01-22-2010 01:50:17 | More by rapidsequence
hardy008

2.45/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Amber color with a one finger tan head which disappears almost immediately after an aggressive pour. Smells of toffee, brown sugar, dark fruit, and rum. Something seems like it is off.

The taste is similar to the aroma, and the flavors of toffee, brown sugar, dark fruit, are somewhat weak. The rum flavor is not well hidden at all, and this is somewhat disappointing.

The carbonation is practically non existent, and may as well be called what it is, which is flat. I love a good Quadrupel, but this beer is simply not very good. It may be a bad bottle? I may give this another chance in the future.

08-06-2010 00:37:45 | More by hardy008
jojox

2.48/5  rDev -35.4%

A - Slightly hazy, orange color. Haze goes away as it warms. Not much head. White and whispy.

s - banana belgian yeastiness.

t - tastes like a tripel to me. Banana, alcohol, dried banannas. Sweet, some booze, lots of belgian yeast character. Did I say bananna?

m - high carbonation, bracing even. Sweet-ish finish

d - not my type of sipper.

Notes - It's too bad, because I really like quads, and this isn't one. When I think of Westy 12, St. Bernardus 12, Rochefort 10, they have certain characteristics and similarities that are 180° from where this "Quad" is. And unfortunately I don't really like Tripels. This beer is more like a "double Tripel" - larger in alcohol and OG/FG, but in the same vein as a tripel - light in color, intense belgian yeast flavor, not malt complexity dominated.

08-18-2008 15:56:14 | More by jojox
jucifer1818

2.5/5  rDev -34.9%

07-02-2014 03:49:21 | More by jucifer1818
copasetic

2.6/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a rusty brown color with a thin, quickly dissolving head. The smell is strong malt and alcohol. The first taste is wicked malty and alcoholic. Very much like many barleywines I've tried, but minimally hoppy. The tarty, fruity funkiness that I've gotten used to in most Belgians is noticable, but drowned in malt and alcohol. Mouthfeel is thick and somewhat fizzy.

Not the delight I was expecting and this beer seems out of balance to my tastes. I'm a fan of many barleywines and Belgians, but I'm not sure where this one is going.

03-01-2006 20:52:10 | More by copasetic
donkeyrunner

2.65/5  rDev -31%

Sunday quad-off beer #2.

Beautiful brown leather to amber color. Pristinely clear. Frothy, big bubble head like an American session ale. No lace, no retention.

Quad showcases the medium fruit range with apricots being the most obvious. Hints of some sort of spice - cinnamon? nutmeg? clove? - I get them mixed up. Alcohol seethes into the malt like newly oiled leather or high gloss wood varnish.

Tastes very sweet and plenty malty. Odd, dry, sugary huskiness in back. Almost like an English barleywine/ Belgian quad hybrid.

Monotone and without anything that stands out or leaves an impression.

Chimay blue with an easy win.

12-04-2011 15:13:45 | More by donkeyrunner
guinnessfan

2.68/5  rDev -30.2%

12 oz. bottle served in oversized wine glass.

A: Pours a copper color with a one finger head, receding to a cap upon the beer.

S: Sugary and malty. Slight alcohol.

T: Boozy, fruity astrigancy. Unbalanced. Not complex, just powerful.

M: Tingling and creamy at the same time.

D: Umm..not very drinkable. Too boozy. More of a sipper, yet not very enjoyable.

This is my first Quad. To be fair, I will try others. It may just not be my style, I'm not sure. I just know that this was not enjoyable.

12-28-2006 13:30:32 | More by guinnessfan
graywalker

2.7/5  rDev -29.7%

I really wanted to like this beer but I just couldn't make it work. Very little head, nice amber color, but not the kind of depth that you see in a Rochefort or Pennepot Fisherman's Ale. Very little head. Not too much aroma other than alcohol, perhaps a little caramel and dark fruit. Alchohol is way too prominent in the taste. A little malt and caramel kicks in, but then it goes back to the alcohol. Harsh flavor. It was a chore to finish this and I won't get it again.

06-04-2007 00:32:47 | More by graywalker
clvand0

Kentucky

2.7/5  rDev -29.7%

This beer pours a murky brown color with very little head that disappears quickly and doesn't leave any lacing. The aroma has some slight fruitiness (raisins), but also has a very strong alcohol smell. The flavor is sweet with a lot of raisin-flavors, but the alcohol is very upfront. The carbonation is minimal and this doesn't help the thin mouthfeel. I had a hard time finishing this one. Not enjoyable.

06-01-2005 17:17:10 | More by clvand0
khiasmus

South Carolina

2.7/5  rDev -29.7%

A- Beautiful. This is one of the most attractive brews i have ever seen. A light ruby color with creamy light head that has a finger and a half upon pour and settles to a ring. No lacing, but good legs.

S- Smells sweet and malty, with very little hops and a slight citrus tinge.

T- Sigh. Very, very disappointing. Alcohol, some sweet malt up front, but a sour, bitter finish that doesn't seem due to hops... Tastes like sour mash. This could be an infected beer.

M- Smooth and thick with low carbonation and a dry alcohol finish.

D- Not drinkable. I don't know... something must be wrong with this. I'll have to try it again sometime, I can't imagine this is what they normally taste like.

04-24-2007 03:30:45 | More by khiasmus
Quad from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.