Quad - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

QuadQuad

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-17-2001)
2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

I almost hate to post this review, because I am a weyerbacher fan. I'm also a fans of Quads, its really the only Belgian style I actually do like. This beer is fairly brown and really red in the light, it reminds me of a quad in the look. The smell is what throws me, its all big belgian yeast aroma with little more to offer than alcohol. Taste is similar but adds a note of sweetness. Maybe because I've recently had Rochforte 10 and St Bernardus but this beer just really doesnt compare. I guess the quad is best left to the monks. I could see some people liking it but to me it was just yeasty and hot.

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Heading in Belgian territory with this 12 oz offering from Weyerbacher. I am unsure as to when it was bottled, but I am assuming the bottle cannot be more than a year old.

A: Pours a rust color that becomes orange-red when illuminated. The body is full of sediment, cloudy and somewhat murky but bubbles still managed to rise to the top. They rise to the top off...what was a small 0.5 cm white head, but has dissipated. No lace, but legs.

S: Yeast and alcohol are what first tickle my senses. I could tell this was a Belgian style beer with maybe half a nostril. After the dominant alcohol, a whiff could kill a small infant, there is some fruity apricot esters.

T: The taste up front is where the malt hits - fruitiness that mostly is apricot, caramel sweetness, and the yeast gives the beer some spice. There is some heat that was expected after the nose, adds some big warming.

M: Light for what I would enjoy, carbonation aloof.

D: This is not your typical quad as the malt seems upped. Enjoyable mild citrus sweetness and yeast presence, but for some reason the alcohol was a negative factor in this one. I am one to advocate a little hotness and discernible alcohol sometimes too. All being said I thought it was an above average beer, but short of good.

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Koningshoeven sniffer. If you hold the bottle up to the light, it's pretty clear for a quad, but when poured into a glass it's rather cloudy. Color is close to a ruby-red grapefruit juice. Little to no head, but remains a thin ring. Aroma is very faint Belgian yeast, mild citrus and spiciness.
Taste is kind of surprising. There's an initial flavor coupled mostly with carbonation, which fades quickly to a sharper fruity bitey "tang". A very decent small brewery attempt at a Belgian style quad. BTW, the alcohol at 11.8% is deceiving...similar to Mad Elf actually.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

This beer pours a very hazy and deep orange color with one finger of head that fades quickly. There seems to be a good amount of carbonation. The light makes the beer grapefruit red in the center. The smell is a mildly funky Belgian yeast smell with a sharp spiciness and what smell like buttery bread to me. In addition there is a slightly orange smell involved.

Glug glug glug

Well damn, big and complex. Although I'm new to the style, I can taste the orange, and there's banana there as well. As for the spiciness...I suppose there is coriander but there is also something with a little kick, much like cinnamon. The funky yeast taste complements this well without tasting like dirty horse or wet dog; although I am looking forward to the day I can get my hands on some real Belgian wonders.

Anyways, mouth feel is heavy and smooth if not a little thick and the alcohol burn on the end of this isn't overwhelming or even unpleasant but these could probably use some aging. Overall a good intro to the style and surprisingly tasty.

3.45/5  rDev -10.4%

Had other styles from Weyerbacher including Blithering Idiot and Merry Monks. They make decent, if somewhat unrefined brews. Let's see how this one goes:

A: Poured into my Unibroue glass a dark copper brown with no head and some detectable lacing. It looks more like a barleywine a la Blithering Idiot than a Quad.

S: Mild sweetness somewhat dominated by alcohol. Seemingly not as potent as the 11.8 ABV would suggest, so I suppose the folks at Weyerbacher did a decent job of hiding the alcohol.

T: Almost seems like an alcoholic iced tea. Not in the same category as a long island iced tea by any means; though for some reason I detect tea and lemon sweetness. Pretty good job, as I suspected, of hiding the robust alcohol content.

M: Weyerbacher's brews tend to be, to me, a bit unrefined and all over the place. While Quad seems a bit more refined than Merry Monks, let's say, it still lacks punch in the feel department. Kind of weak and lacks carbonation. Somewhat syrupy and oily. This could be a very good brew if it were a bit more carbonated. For now, it just seems like a minimally carbonated iced tea with lots of alcohol.

D: Overall, I could drink a few of these, and be good to go...to sleep that is. Not a staple for repeat attempts, but once in a while if I want to become three sheets to the wind quickly.

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Amber body. No head at all. Not really what you want from a quad.

S: Dominated by dark fruits. Shockingly, alcohol is undetectable.

M: Thick and syrupy.

D: This is more like an English barleywine than a quad. In fact, it's a better barleywine than Blithering Idiot. In any event, a fine sipper.

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Quad pours a bit lighter than I expected, an orangey color with a bit of red mixed in. The head is tan and rather small, but leaves some nice lacing.

The smell is a mix of alcohol and some ripe fruit, this carries into the taste as well, but really blends together well. There isn't really anything wrong with the combination of flavors, but it really doesn't feel like a quad or even a belgian strong-dark, but more of an english old ale. Very nice, just different.

The mouthfeel is a bit heavy, finishing a bit too sweet for my liking, the carbonation is on the low side, which doesn't hurt the beer.

The drinkability is decent, I enjoyed this beer over the course of about an hour, not bad at all, but not otherworldly.

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Delicious!

The appearance on this thing is beautiful, the clarity! So it pours a nice one finger off white head that leaves a solid film over the top of the brew. The color is magnificent, a great amber orange color that has a brunette center. The color scale on this one is beautiful, very nice to look at. Gently alcoholic legs run down the side of the glass producing a very light lacing.

The smell is complex, much like the taste. Peaches and plumbs, pomegranate, and caramelized sugars. A bit of the ABV is in the smell as well as caramel toffee and Belgian yeast.

The taste is just like the smell. I have a feeling that my trader has aged this, but if not this is a splendidly fresh brewed Quad. Sugary plumbs and peaches are in the first tastes, with caramel malts. This is sweet, but with different types of sweetness. A malted sugar with candy sugars. The ABV is present, and it pushes out more sugars like figs. Great tastes, complex as most Quads are.

The ABV ruins a bit, hot on the tongue. The sweetness tastes great but hurts my teeth a bit. Other than that it all flows nicely. I am drinking this so fast because it is a very complex brew that is filled with interesting fruit flavors. I am loving it right now. Loving it.

J

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle that has been cellared for nearly two years, into a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a dark amber color, with a short off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of brown sugar, dark fruit, Belgian yeast, caramelized malts, some spices, some alcohol and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of caramel, brown sugar and dark fruit. There's a significant alcohol sting that comes in next along with a subdued Belgian yeast breadiness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and there's a mild hops presence that provides some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Flavorful, goes down dangerously easily, not too filling, very strong kick, good representation of style, this is the experience I've had with an aged Quadrupel but it seems like time has done this beer some good. Overall, however, I think this beer is good but not one of the better ones I've had in the style.

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%

Appearance was bright neon orange, a bit hazy, with a tiny-bubble head and almost no lacing.
Smell was apricots and caramel.
Taste was malt, with strong alcohol showing through. Hints of orange peel.
Mouthfeel was fair, not as full as the strength would predict.
Overall, not bad, but there are too many better examples of this style to spend too much time with this one.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Poured into tulip glass that did leave much head which dissipated in a minute or two. Nice amber red in color.

Smell: Very heavy malt and some fruit that gives way to the alcohol thanks to the almost 12% ABV.

Taste: Very nice warm malty flavor with good fruit hint. Also enjoyed a bit of bitterness from the hops towards the end which was then taken over by the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Good mouthfeel with the malt, and appropriate carbonation.

Drinkability: This was a very drinkable beer, all of the flavors, though maybe a little muted, worked very well overall for the this beer. It will be very hard for me to save a couple bottles to age.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle to glass tumbler

Very interesting quad with an even distribution of yeast in the body that smells of tropical fruits, tart apricot, and tastes of cherry wood and bready banana malts with raisin and molasses. Some citrus and honey, with a bit of syrupy caramel malt and incredibly complex balance.

Very well-balanced overall, with a bit of a funky, semi-sour component that is wonderfully reminiscent of some of the funky yeasts in Piraat and Houblon Chouffre.

Carbonation is moderate. Quad structure is prevalent throughout in its complexity and although the carbonation plays a role, the beer is quite soft on the back end. Really remarkable finish.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a cloudy, copper color with suspended sediment. 1/5 inch head of an off-white color. Slight retention and poor lacing. Smells of citrus (banana), sweet malt, yeast, and alcohol. Fits the style of a Quadrupel. Mouth feel is smooth and sharp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of alcohol, citrus (banana), yeast, sweet malt, and slight tart malt. Overall, the alcohol is definitely not hidden, but good body and mouth feel.

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured a surprising amber/orange, with a finger of head, and decent lacing. The smell was an interesting mix of tart cherry, raisins, mango, apricot, woodiness, honey, molasses, and orange peel. The taste started out tangy fruity, then earthy/bready/honey/sweet, and then warm bittersweet at the finish. Alcohol surprisingly well-hidden. Felt syrupy on the palate, but the complex flavor mix and warmth at the end made it oh so nice. Very unique and well done example of a Quad.

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From 12oz into snifter. Haven't had a quad in a while. This one's been kicking around in my closet for a few months.

A- A nice, muted khaki brown with a nice eggshell white head. An impressive cascade of foam through the pour... lighter than most quads I've seen but still very nice.

S- Fruity. Peach, mellon rind, grapes (white)... very fruity. Not too much else behind it, and not a hint of the 11.8% ABV. Much lighter than I expected.

T- Wow. What was lacking in the nose comes through in the taste. Very fruity, mildly alcoholic (in a good way). Pretty complex. Honeysuckle, mild coriander, faint raspberry, and a mild puckering tartness. Hmm. Very complex, not sure if all the flavors work together, but the net value is better rather than worse.

M- Pretty good. Alcohol is there, but not in any meaningful way... feels a few shades lighter than the almost 12% listed.

D- Moderate. I'll buy more of this, save it for a rainy day. Not an everyday or once-a-week sipper, I'd be happy with once a month on this one. Still, pretty tasty, and by all means a solid effort. Nothing on the Belgian quads, but a solid stateside effort.

4.28/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, I'm really impressed by this stuff, I expected a run of the mill quad, but this is so much different from what im used to. Poured a nice orange color instead of the usual dark brown that i see so much in the style. Smelled mainly of plums brown sugar and apricots. It tastes basically like a plum and honey sandwich on some oat bread. However it leaves too much of a bready aftertaste for my liking. Mouthfeel is very nice, slightly syrupy yet creamy pleasantly warming at the end. Highly drinkable, I might be able to do the entire 4 pack but i wouldnt want to its too nice to do that.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Hazy, ruby-brown body atop which floats a 3/4" head of dense white foam; average retention and minimal lace. Not as dark as I was expecting, but not a bad looking beer. Interesting color.

S: Rich and tasty - lots of warm, ripe fruit up front, with just a hint of spicy yeastiness behind that, followed up with some smoothly warming alcohol (but not as much as I was expecting at almost 12%). Great, complex aroma.

T: Follows the smell pretty closely, with the fruit and spice fighting it out for dominance over the warm alcoholic background. Just as expected.

M: A little thinner than I expected, and the carbonation seems to have taken a vacation after the initial pour. A little disappointing on this front.

D: In a word, spectacular for the astronomical ABV. Smooth, rich, and just enough bite on the finish to keep it from being at all cloying.

Notes: I wasn't sure what to expect from this beer: on the one hand, I love quads and I've never been disappointed by Weyerbacher; on the other, this beer's reviews were mediocre, and it looked disturbingly insubstantial in the bottle. All my fears were put to rest, though, with the rush of delicious quad aroma that filled the room as soon as I poured - better than I could have hoped. No, I wouldn't take this beer over a St. Bernardus ABT 12 or a Rochefort 10, but for the price it may well become my go-to quad.

Cheers!

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%

It was a good night! I pulled out this 22oz. Weyerbacher Quad I had been cellaring for 2 yrs to pair it off with a grilled rib-eye and some steamed broccoli. A good choice if I do say so myself.

Poured into a Weyerbacher Tulip glass to find a decent one-and-a-half finger width head of champagne look that quickly receded to a thin ring around the outside of the glass. Bubbles continued to file their way to the top along the edge of the glass. The fluid seemed lighter than I would have expected for a Quad (Belgian Strong Dark Ale). It was a dark, dull gold color with a slight orangey hue. Fairly clear.

Smell is very nice. Tons of Belgian candy sweetness with hints of figs, raisins, and orange zest. Some nice notes of herbs and flowers are present as well.

Taste is similar to the smell with a rich Belgian malty backbone at the forefront giving way to a bitter alcohol finish that dries up in the mouth. Again, there are notes of fermented dark fruits, herbs, and a slight citrus zest. The finish is rather bothersome as the alochol really burns through to the point that I feel my nose hairs tingling. I am also detecting a slight hint of diacetyl which could be from improper storage.

MF: I like the medium-low carbonation on this one as it allows the malt to shine through. Very-well balanced.

Drinkability: To be honest...not great. The alcohol burn gets old after a few drinks as I feel like I am inhaling Vicks vapo-rub in the finish. Maybe a fresh one would be different.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottle purchased from Green's on Buford in Atlanta.

Pours a clear orange-brown color with a one-finger light tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of brown sugar, sweet malts, and booze-soaked medium fruits. Mild amounts of alcohol turn a bit larger as the beer warms.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though better integrated. Sweet malts, dark Belgian candi sugar, and hints of spices all hit the palate at about the same time. Midway through the sip the flavors sweeten a bit and medium fruit flavors make an appearance the malt flavors reassert themselves before a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a solid thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing the bottle and could have another.

Overall this smelled a bit boozier than I was expecting until I saw the 11.8% ABV. The flavor masks the alcohol very well but the beer as a whole is missing a certain heft to push it into the next tier. Still, it's worth a shot.

2.13/5  rDev -44.7%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a weird tea color with a little white head or carbonation, disappointing look.

The aroma is very quadish with chocolate and raisins dominating.

The taste is very strange not good at all. Weird notes of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is poor and its not drinkable to me.

Im tasting this with an R10 so maybe its skewing the results, but not good in general.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Paid $2.99 for a 12oz bottle from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee, WI. Poured into my Chimay Chalice to review. My guess is it was bottled around a year ago as it has been sitting around for a little while now.

Yields a small, half inch, white and fizzy head after an aggressive pour which dissipates quickly leaving little retention. Dark amber in color and almost no lacing.

Smells very sweet of candied fig and raisin. I've never had Belgian candy, but this aroma is what I'm envisioning it would bring to my senses. Lacks the subtly of some of the more traditional Belgian Quads. Other fruits such as red grape, banana and melon also come into play as well as hints of molasses. The sweetness completely masks the alcohol in this 11.8% beast.

The taste is very sweet with a medley of the above mentioned fruits in addition to some mild Belgian spice. Here comes that warming alcohol adding somewhat of a rummy twist.

Mouth is damn near full body with minimal carbonation. A great attempt at creating a truly velvety feel; it is so close but missing something that the great monks have somehow figured over the years. Lasting sweet candied fruit taste.

A great beer for the price and I'd drink this on a regular basis if it was distributed in my area to save my pocketbook from the trials of Rochefort 8 and Abt. 12 which seem to be in quite a heavy rotation in my fridge.

4.08/5  rDev +6%

this one pours a dark, murky brown with nearly no head and zero to no rising bubbles.

smells of dark fruit and bubble gum, from the belgian yeast. yes. the alcohol is very very present. but i mean. its fn 12 percent.

give this one 20 mins to sit in a tulip or snifter and its opens up amazingly. becomes very complex. the bubblegum/candy flavors are a bit over exaggerated but that's typical of domestic replications of belgians. too sweet to have more than one of but a great night capper.

be careful! this one will put you down for the count if your careless.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

Big whiff of alcohol out of this, along with some apple. Very cloudy with weak head. Lots of booze and a light apple backing with tropical fruit flavour. Very warming and strong. Finish is surprisingly mild, ending in a lightly bitter anise flavour. Up front, big, complex booze, tropical fruitiness and apple/pear. I think the alcohol in this is taking the forefront a bit too much. Moderate body with some heft and lowish carbonation. Definitely a sipper a touch too boozy for my taste.

3.45/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Year old bottle from my girlfriends brother. My first quad, my first weyerbacher.

Poured a deep, deep golden brown with no head.

Smelled bitter sweet.

Tasted of apples, brown sugar, some bananas, and definetely golden raisins.

You could tell this was a high abv brew that completely kicks your ass; I could only drink one.

I enjoyed it but I think ill stick to tripels or dubbels.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into a tulip glass

A-Cloudy orangish / brown almost rust color, almost no lacing

S-Bubble gum, sugar, fruit

T-Boozy,sweet, some burn on the way down

M-slick, slight carbonation

D-This is a big beer with a big ABV so I would have to stop at two.

Quad from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.