Quad - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

QuadQuad

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-17-2001)
2.98/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured a dark amber hue with little to no carbonation.

The upfront smell was that of alcohol, followed by accents of clove, coriander and dried fruit.

As far as taste, there was an initial bombardment of alcohol, followed by a spicy raisin or prune flavor. Unfortunately the alcohol dose numbed my tastebuds and I am afraid I couldn't realize the full flavor profile.

The mouthfeel was subpar. The strong alcohol burn essential killed it for me.

Although the flavor was off, it was drinkable even considering the ABV.

4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

I can remember buying a 6-pack of this stuff after trying Weybacher's "Blithering Idiot" and thinking they were so similar that I couldn't see why they made two beers so similar. Now that I've had more experience, I just have to laugh at that. Certainly they have a rather comparable flavor, but each one is unique. I also was not too familar with Belgian beers at the time.

At any rate, the beer pours into a light-maple color, with a mild amount of carbination. The finish is unbelievably smooth, and despite having a strong alcohol content, is remarkably even (Weyerbacher's website claims it's 11.8%, but this website lists 12.2%). Flavor is fairly complex, with tones of dates/fig (probably why I thought it was so similar to "Blithering Idiot"), hints of bananna, and the overall taste of a Belgian quadrupel. It's an excellent take on a familar style.

Weyerbacher's website recommends allowing to age, and I'm fairly tempted to buy a 6-pack and store it in my basement cellar. Highly recommended.

2.73/5  rDev -29.1%

I poured this one into an oversized snifter, and it appeared like a good Quad should. Decent head retention, and a dark, almost opaque brown.

The smell was average for this style, but the taste lost me. Lots of solvent alcohol... it's a boozy mess. The aftertaste of alcohol overwhelms the qualities of this brew. Some raisen and fruit tastes struggle to be seen. The mouthfeel was average, but I was swallowing quick. I tried to let the beer warm a little to room temp, but that didn't bring out any additional qualities. It may have subdued the alcohol a little, but it wasn't enough.

Drinkability would be low at this ABV, but even lower considering other examples of this style.

All in all, not my favorite. I'm a fan of many Weyerbacher brews, so this one was a dissapointment. For Quads I'll stick with St. Bernardus Abt. 12 or Rochefort 10 as the benchmarks of how one should taste.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

WOW! That’s it... My entire review is simply summed up as WOW! ...Oh that’s not enough characters :) okay I'll write more.

I got this beer out and let it warm for an hour on the counter. Served in my snifter glass.

Appearance: This is a very noble auburn brown color with a nice 2 finger, solid/tight creamy off-white head. The lacing is impressively heavy. There was an amazing stream of carbonation rising from the middle of the glass that kept feeding the head, which remained frothy through the duration of the beer.

Smell: From the moment I cracked the bottle open I got a huge burst of aroma; exceptional! There was an instant onslaught of toasted malts and brown sugar. Browned butter and baked caramel fill the nose as well. There is also a brilliant bouquet of fruity flavors include but not limited to grapes, plums and cherries.

Taste: Toasted sweetness galore! Marvelous! As in the aroma, the taste has a strong toasted malt presence. Lots of plums and dark fruits parallel the buttery, sugars; but it is not cloyingly sweet! There is a very mild dryness/bitterness coming from a *very* reserved hop presence and an ABV that you would never know was over 12% through the taste. At the bottom of the glass, it'll catch up to you. :) There is also a slightly woody character, similar to a Woodford Reserve Bourbon. This beer is magnificently balanced and a true work of art!

Mouthfeel: Would I be gushing to call this divine? Every swallow begged for the next sip. The mouthfeel is remarkably smooth with a slick center and slightly crisp edge. The aftertaste reveals a hint of bitter dryness that is just the nudge I needed to put the glass to my lips again. OOPS; now that ABV is making itself known!

Drinkability: This is defiantly a nightcap beer. On shear smell, taste and feel I'd give it a 5; but these big beers are far from sessionable. So consider this one a sipping beer and finish the night with it. I highly recommend! Well-done Weyerbacher!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

No freshness date, but it's been in my cellar for about 5 months. It's brethern await a future session.

Pours a silky light tan head over a glowing orb of deep amber. Head receds leaving a few bands and dots of lace. Aromas of spice and sweet malt reach my nose before I’ve even raised my tulip. There’s also a bit of earth and some floral hops in the nose. Rich malt leads the flavors accompanied by a nice, yet mild, pepper and coriander spiciness. Some mild berry-like flavors and a decent wallop of earth as well. The hop are earthy and contribute a subtle balancing bitterness. A generous sweetness, but it’s definitely not slick, cloying or overpowering-- well-balanced by the other components of the beer. Full bodied, low carbonation. Smooth in the mouth with a clean to mildly dry finish and just a nip of alcohol at the end.

A study of balance. Great complexity and interesting layers of flavor and aroma. Some may find the malt to be a bit on the heavy-handed side, but I find the ale to be well-balanced overall. Then again, I do love malt. The mouthfeel is extraordinary: soft and full, but not overbearing. This ale fills the mouth and mind.

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Copper orange colored body, hazy, visible carbonation. Head is big, but fades fast into a thin film of tan foam. Taste is rather one dimmensional, really. Mellow toffee sweetness and raisins kind of dominate this beer, with a little pineapple and apple in the aftertaste. I can't call this beer bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it lacks the finish and complexity of a top notch example of the style.

2.6/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a rusty brown color with a thin, quickly dissolving head. The smell is strong malt and alcohol. The first taste is wicked malty and alcoholic. Very much like many barleywines I've tried, but minimally hoppy. The tarty, fruity funkiness that I've gotten used to in most Belgians is noticable, but drowned in malt and alcohol. Mouthfeel is thick and somewhat fizzy.

Not the delight I was expecting and this beer seems out of balance to my tastes. I'm a fan of many barleywines and Belgians, but I'm not sure where this one is going.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

This is my second time having the Quad by Wyerbacher. The first time it was a year old and at the beginning of my beer tasting career. Now with alittle more experience im trying it again. I really enjoyed the first one i had. I can't really say i enjoyed this one though, but i can say that it has lots of potential. Starts with a pour into a snifter, with a decent head, and a minimal amount of lacing. The color is tha of a hazy copper with some light redish golden highlights. The smell had some raison, plum, and alot of young alcohol. The taste was more of the same and still there is too much going on in there. I expected the bere to be alittle more full bodied, but it was very light on the tongue. It had a lot of coating due to the alcohol which seamed to seep the pores of my mouth with a slight twang of tart at the very end. I dont think i could handle more than one of these at a time right now. There is too much alcohol presence in ther to make this beer enjoyable. Im rating this a 4.0 on taste for its potential. I say buy a 6'er, let it age, then try it.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Undated bottle 12 oz, labeled Vintage '04 from Shawan liquors, poured into a Duvel tulip. Pours a dull red tinged copper with a huge cream colored head, very nice retention, small amount of scattered lacing. Nose is rather fruity--pear, plum, berries, red apple--some candied sugar sweetness and a definite walnut nuttiness, along with an alcoholic edge. Taste is very good, the sweetness in the nose comes through light and delicately rather than cloying, nice complex alcohol-laced fruitiness, a slightly woody/nutty malt, a flavorfully spicey finish, everything comes together nicely. The alcohol is definitely evident, but it melds with the flavors excellently, tasting like rum-soaked fruit, and for it's abv this is extremely drinkable.

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

I was pleasently suprised with this beer. I was sort of expecting a tasteless, lack luster beer, but it was not that way at all.

Poured a slightly cloudy orange-copper color with a mild level of carbonation and a soft, white colored head that left behind some lacing. Aromas of Belgian candy, alcohol, ripe grapes, dried plums, and burnt honey. The taste essentially followed the scents with a strong fruity finish. It was the intensity of the fruit flavors at the tale end of each sip that caused me to deduct points for taste; it seemed a bit out of proportion in relation to the various other flavors. The candy and honey flavors really added a nice sweet touch to this Quadrupel and made it unique in that is created a flush of sweetness all over my tongue in the first few sips without blowing out my taste buds. The drinkability is high with this beer because it is so flavorful and enjoyable and the alcohol just doesn't explode like you might expect considering it's over 12% ABV

4.45/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Orange-ish/ruby red with about half an inch of off-white to tan head. Head disappears quickly.

Caramel apple aroma. Other sweet fruits. Slight hint of bubblegum.

Medium bodied mouthfeel, good carbonation, slightly sticky with a nice alcohol warmth.

Tastes of dark fruits; plum, raisin, grapes caramel apple. Maybe even some melon?

Incredibly drinkable for it's abv.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

12 oz., bottle-conditioned with no freshness date. It pours an unfiltered ruby/brown with decent amount of carbonation beads and a half inch of tan head that leaves some lacing. It smells fruity (banana, pear?), with some sweetness and maybe some bubblegum. It tastes of peppery/spicy phenols, fruits (apple?, melon?), sweetness, and powdery yeast. The body is thick and full with medium carbonation and the alcohol is almost undetectable. It's not terribly complex, but it's pretty good and I would like to see what aging would to do it.

Appearance: Pours a clear burnt orange color with a frothy, big-bubbled eggwhite head that drops quickly and leaves a bit of lacing

Smell: Caramel apples and rum raisin

Drinkability: Starts like the aroma, with caramel apples and raisins predominant; the middle presents some yeasty spices that add nice complexity; finishes woody, but a bit too alcoholic, which detracts from the flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a lot of carbonation

Drinkability: Reasonably interesting; not the best Quad, but the best Weyerbacher I have tasted (Note: This was reviewed before Weyerbacher stepped up its game - I would no longer make this comment though it was applicable at the time)

a big thanks goes to kramer17801 for this. from the bottle. poured a a dark amber to brown with a med sized off white head that did leave any lacing. aoma the alcohol comes right out there as I was pouring this into the glass, dark fruits, raisins, malt, caramel, a nice sweetness. flavor, the dark fruits came out before I got the alcohol burn, than malts, sweet. a very good beer

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Served in a Pint Glass:

Appearance: Poured a copperish bronze hue with a small cream colored pillowy head,minimal laceing. Slightly cloudy but no yeast is detected by my eye.

Smell: Apple cider, bananna nut bread, toast, definite yeast aroma (ironically my first batch of homebrew has this same yeast character). Alcohol is there for sure but it is not of the stinging variety. Good, but not as expressive as I would like my quads to be in the nose.

Taste: Very similar to the nose. Oven baked apples abound, hard cider. Sounds so weird for the style but I detect nectarine. Full and rounded malt flavor. Doughy yeast balls coated with dark fruit that has been soaked in vodka. Alcohol is concealed well but when this one warms I am getting a back draft of alcoholic vapors. Pretty tasty.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full mouthfeel. Thick and slick, coats the mouth and throat very well. So very smooth.

Drinkability: Easily drinkable and I could cop one hell of a buzz with two of these.This is a wonderful American quad.A must try.

-Cheers2Beers-

Bottle: Poured a hazy deep amber/copper color ale with a medium dark foamy head with pretty good retention. Aroma of rich sweet malt with gigs and dry raisins. Taste is a bit sweeter then expected with lots of figs and raisins with a nice shot of brown sugar. Body is quite thick with low carbonation. Very interesting (and different) take on the style.

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours with three quarter inch head, leaving some lace. Body is amber, with a slight tint of orange. Nose of rum, raisins, and sherry.

The taste is sweet at first, with some fruitiness. Then the rum like alcohol rears its head. This is a sweet, malty beer. The mouthfeel is smooth, and lightly carbonated. I have enjoyed this one more than the first time I had this. But I will not drink my other samples for several months. The sweetness reveals the youth of this beer.

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours amber in color with a pinkish tint to it. Thin head that fades to a lacy film quickly. The film sticks around for the entire beer. Strong alcohol smell with a rumlike quality to it. Taste is very sweet and rich. Alcohol has a strong presence in the taste too. Mouthfeel is very full but astringent due to the high alcohol. This is a real sipper that grows on you. It warms your belly as it goes down and goes straight to your head. I need to try a true belgium quad to have something to compare it to.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance: Deep amber, orange, ruby colored pour with a bone white head. Quickly fades to a cobweb wispy lace. Rings the chalice nicely.

Smell: Figs, orange zest, estery, cloves, and a hint of banana

Taste: Alcohol up front, cloves, cinnamon, spice, a hint of bubblegum sweetness, and a sweeter raisin-like finish. Brown sugar notes here and there but not too prominent.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and pleasantly carbonated.

Drinkability: The alcohol is a little too "up front" for me. It's a pleasant sipper though. Nicely layered and complex. Good for a fall afternoon. Recommended for sure.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours an orangey garnet with minimal head retention. Soft smells of spice and yeast.

Overall flavor is comparable to many dubbels I've had (and even made!). It's calm and subdued, but the alcohol will find you before you know it. Deceivingly smooth, and approachable enough to seduce yourself into sipping without caution. Heavy malts and alcohol dominate. Hops are minimal, of course. Rum-like qualities.

Style-wise, this ale isn't as hefty as one may anticipate. It is good nonetheless. Especially on a cold autumn eve.

4.45/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

An excellent quad. I've had a good bit of Westy 12 since this summer, so that's what this one is being judged against. Why not the gold standard?

Not as dark, but murky brown. Good nose. Head not as big as I would like, but that may have been due to my pour.

Taste is of plums, chocolate (not the malt, regular chocolate). Spicy? Boozy. Reminds me a lot of Westy 12 and St. B 12. A very good stand in.

A little too much carbonation on the tongue. Not as smooth as it could be. Drinkable? Heck yes.

Not sure what the price is (mucho gracias to blitheringidiot) but definitely a good domestic replacement.

3.13/5  rDev -18.7%

Pours hazy dark brown with very little head, but with some lacing. Light carbonation. Very bitter at the beginning and end. Overtly sweetness disproportionate to the other flavors. Light caramel banana fruitiness; too much if you ask me.

This beer does not stand well on its own. Too much of everything at once with nothing to hold it together. If they can tone it down, it would be much more enjoyable.

2.38/5  rDev -38.2%

Poured this from a 12oz bottle into a St. Bernardus chalice. Poured a translucent (but on the see-through side of translucent) orange-hued brown. No real head to speak of. The lack of head made the beer uninviting at the outset.

First sniff hints of an old ale, maybe a wee heavy. I think I can smell the ethanol too.

On tasting I think this is very sweet and malty. Definitely the alcohol presence is felt from the very first sip. The mouthfeel is syrupy and heavy. The flavor really isn't objectionable to me, but it isn't what I understand a quad to be taste-wise. The alcohol is way too overpowering. The whole package reminds me of wee heavy-flavored cough syrup. And that's not good.

Weyerbacher surprised me again. This tasted like a medicinal old ale. On the yucky side,,,

Presentation: 12oz brown glass longneck US generic bottle, purple and brown on off-white label

Appearance: deep amber color, minor head, no laceing

Smell: generic sourness, strong alcohol, some hops, kinda spicy smell

Taste: full body, wow, very strong alcohol, again spicy taste, hint of vanilla

Notes: not the best of the style, but pretty good one

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer looks a little flat and lifeless, but looks are deceiving in this case. The alcohol is distinct and forward in Quad, which is what you expect for a 12%+ beer, yet this one's reasonably drinkable. The alcohol is nicely balanced with the beer's flavors. The taste is malty, with hints of raspberrys and cherries, and surprisingly sweet. Very nice.

Quad from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.