Quad - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

QuadQuad

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.80% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-17-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,016 | Reviews: 527
4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

One of my favorites... almost missed it this season. But I was fortunate enough to grab a case of this sweetness. I still have one of these guys left from the case I bought last year at this time. I'm looking forward to having that one along with a new one to see the difference... or I might wait until next year.

I'm a big fan of these high abv beers... they get the job done with style.

Appearance is great.. the darkness is inviting.
Smell is wonderful, fairly sweet and fruity.. I get a little bit of prunes and dates.. something like that.
Taste is great, like I said, one of my favorites.
Mouthfeel is alright.. little bit of a burn from the alcohol, but not like the Dogfish head 120minute or anything like that.
Drinkability is fair, I mean its over 12% so you can't have too many at once.. but I have no qualms whatsoever.

Great brew this is.

Weyerbacher Quad pours a crystal clear amber with a thick sticky head. Aroma is dry chalky yeast and some light fruitiness with a decent dose of alcohol. The taste is lots of ripe fruit, sweet and malty. There is an almost sour twinge to it but the overall sweetness of the beer balances it out. The beer is a little boozy, but at over 12% this is understandable. Overall a solid beer, and a steal at under $5 for the bomber.

2.05/5  rDev -46.8%

Well time to review this brew with Elvis Costello " Shipbuilding " on the Hi-Fi . This song I have not heard in a while . It is one of my favs from Mr. MacManus . As for this beer , lets say I will not be going to my " beer monger " to pull this out of the archives . When poured in my Rapscallion snifter there is no head on the muddy , caramel , brown fluid . The smell of sweetness , raisins and currants . The taste of this is not very good . Sweet and too boozy . There is no burn but there is just too much going on when it is in my mouth . When I taste the Rochefort 10 , I was in awe of the flavor and drinkability . It is fantastic . As for Quad , it is like too much sugar in my mouth . like Robitussin . Awful . Maybe if I tried this again with another BA journeyman - who knows his stuff and for what I should look for - this might be better . Even with it warming up , it was a bomb . Nearly my 2nd drain pour out to pleasant Dorchester Bay for the tuna that roam there .

3.26/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours perfectly clear, with a jewel-like amber color with gold highlights and no head -- which is to be expected given the ABV. Aromas of banana esters, marshmallows and burnt sugar, along with some solvent alcohol. On the palate, very sweet initially, with loads of sugary fruits (something along the lines of dried, sugared pinapples) and alcohol burn. Mouthfeel is full of dextrins and raw alcohol, with pretty minimal carbonation. Overall, this is OK, but nothing special. There are much better quads out there, both American and Belgian.

4.08/5  rDev +6%

A 22oz bottle from Tully's poured into a tulip glass. Very pretty beer. Amber color with a small head that produced some lacing. It had a fruity, banana aroma. Taste a little more complex. Banana, but a fair amount of tartness came through. A little yeast also. Fairly assertive. I thought this was quite drinkable, even at the ABV of 12%. However, I made the mistake of trying this first, followed by Blasphemy. Don't do that.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a gorgeous clear red-amber with a moderate off-white head that doesn't linger long but leaves lace. Quite carbonated; I can see the bubbles percolating up rapidly as I watch the head subside.

Aroma is of banana, clove, some nuttiness. Rather hefeweizen-like. Some raisin and other dark fruits.

Flavor - banana again, but malt is dominant. Higher alcohols are evident, very warming. Sweetness lingers and clings to my tongue. Has a bit of the flavor I associate with a tripel. Also a plum note, almost like Japanese plum wine. Licorice root, a hint of cardamom.

I'm really liking the flavor of this beer, but then it's partly because it reminds me of some homebrews I've enjoyed that fermented at perhaps too high a temperature with a big grain bill. Fusel alcohols aren't always a bad thing, if they're not in the quantity to give a hangover, and I'm hoping they're not here.

Mouthfeel - it coats the tongue thoroughly with all those thick residual sugars, tickles with the remaining carbonation and finally heats the tongue with the alcohol. A bit much of a workout for my tongue.

Drinkability - it's a lovely beverage and I would be tempted to have more of it, but not much more, given its strength.

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

A- Beautiful. This is one of the most attractive brews i have ever seen. A light ruby color with creamy light head that has a finger and a half upon pour and settles to a ring. No lacing, but good legs.

S- Smells sweet and malty, with very little hops and a slight citrus tinge.

T- Sigh. Very, very disappointing. Alcohol, some sweet malt up front, but a sour, bitter finish that doesn't seem due to hops... Tastes like sour mash. This could be an infected beer.

M- Smooth and thick with low carbonation and a dry alcohol finish.

D- Not drinkable. I don't know... something must be wrong with this. I'll have to try it again sometime, I can't imagine this is what they normally taste like.

4.17/5  rDev +8.3%

220z bottle from Florian's. Amber-red hazy but translucent body with almost no head Smells like banana, nut, spice with a hint of alcohol. Tastes nutty, banana, and spice, with no alcohol flavor but a bit of alcohol warming. sticky thick mouthfeel that also lets on how much alcohol is in thie brew. Not quite like other examples of the style I've had, but really tasty an dpleasant, and more drinkable than expected.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

A - dark brown/coppery with a few moderate carbonation streams, a half finger of light tan head sits atop

S - this quad is dominated by thick and bready rich aroma, slightly citrine and spicy, resembling coriander, at the back end is an alcohol bite that an 11.8% beer is bound to have

T - wow, what a flavor, sweet and tangy, nearly syrupy and spicey, again of coriander, and definite orange zest in as well, a great layered and complex flavor

M&D - syrupy as i mentioned, so thick is implied, smooth as well, and rather easy down for such a thick and high abv beer. really tasty, one of the better quads i have ever had, well done, again, weyerbacher

4.09/5  rDev +6.2%

1 pt 6 fl oz brown bottle, served in a goblet.

Clean, faint amber in color. Creamy, yet carbonation-filled white head that recedes to a lightly webbed sheet. Traces of minor, spotted lacing with decent strength.

Tropical fruit with notes of lemon. Candied, Belgian sugar enhances the honeydew and coconut aromas. Alcohol-coated sweetness.

Sweet honeydew and melon; tropical fruit upfront. Coconut and pear flavors add another dimension of sweetness. The hefty alcohol presence is rather obvious, but it positively enhances the fruity-esters. The finish is smooth and very warming with a hint of clove in the aftertaste.

A full, medium in body; silky smooth due to the slick sweetness. In the end, the alcohol presence gives a slightly gaseous/musty texture.

A hefty, flavorful, and complex Belgian-style Quadrupel. Echoing other reviews: this one should be shared or enjoyed very slowly. A quality ale from Weyerbacher that is well worth a try.

3.54/5  rDev -8.1%

Executive Summary: This is a 2003 vintage QUAD. I took a fresh one of these on my honeymoon back in '03. Has it aged like my marriage? Let's find out.

Appearance: Nearly opaque mahogany with a thin khaki head. Lacing is quite nice.

Smell: Musty fruits - raisins, dates, figs. Buttery malt in the nose as well. Just has that aged ale smell to it - I've encountered this aroma with many older barleywines and some of those J.W. Lees ales.

Taste: Still seems like a quadruppel, but to be honest, I don't think I'd be able to identify it as such without knowing what I was drinking. Can definitely get the belgian yeast flavor, so maybe I'd have a shot. Definite alcohol warmth working with this one as well as a good helping of date/plum/raisin and even some floral characteristics.

Mouthfeel: Thick but not syrupy. Low carbonation. Actually pretty nice here.

Drinkability: Not exactly the sort of thing you'd grab a sixer of and head into the garage. She's a sipper for sure, and the complexity of it leaves my palate tired after the glass.

3.85/5  rDev 0%

A: A 12 oz bottle poured into an Augustijn goblet (or is it a chalice?). The result? A murky brownish/chestnut red body with only the faintest hint of a head that disappears before I can blink, settling to a tiny patch of film in the center of the glass. Absolutely no lacing whatsoever.

S: Yeasty -- there's a hint of that Belgian yeasty spice (clove, banana bread); fruity -- green apples come to mind; and malty -- sugary sweet caramel turns to bubblegum as it warms. And butterscotch rum. Is there such a thing as butterscotch rum? Because I swear I can smell it as it warms -- the alcohol really wafts up at your nose beginning about halfway down the glass.

T: Dark fruit -- rum-soaked berries and port-like raisins. Also molasses and caramelized burnt sugar. And alcohol. LOTS of alcohol. The warmth -- no, check that, the BURN -- is felt down the gully and in the belly immediately. Also at the back of the throat, even more so as it warms. I wrote "HOT finish" and that pretty much describes the alcohol presence.

M: Medium-to-heavy in heft. A bit too much carbonation/fizz early on. It actually becomes smoother as it warms, except then the alcohol kicks in. I swear I can feel the alcohol evaporating from my mouth as it warms.

D: This is a sipper, not a quaffing beer. But then, you'd know that immediately after the first sip from the alcohol burn. If for some reason that lesson didn't register then, it will soon enough -- halfway down the glass I've got a nice buzz, and at about the same time it starts to smell more like hard liquor than beer. On the other hand, given the interesting flavors and the smooth feel (especially as it warms), it's not all that difficult to keep coming back for more. Plus, I actually like catching a buzz from my beer, so there.

Notes: My first foray into the wonderful world of quads. I believe this has been in my cellar for at least a year. I've got another single sitting in the cellar, and I'm curious how it will age and how my expanding experience with quads will affect my opinion on this. I should note again for the record: the alcohol on this one really packs a punch. I need a nap now. G'night.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance: A nice brown with a big head.This is a very noble auburn brown color with a creamy 2 finger head. The lacing was heavy.

Smell: Almost overpowering aroma of caramel and brown sugar with hints of cherries, plums, and grapes.

Taste: Some nice toasted malts with caramel and brown sugar. The dark fruits and brown sugar / caramel. There are some hops here but its just enough to balance the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and crisp. Has a moderately dry finish.

Drinkability: This is a big beer and definitely deserved to sipped and appreciated.

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%

This quad looked great on the pour- a light cloudy amber with nice carbonation, but surprisingly little lace. Aromas dominated by estery fruits, nice and clean orchard flavors, bananas and definite boost from the belgian yeasts. Candi sugars dominate the taste, somewhat raw but not overly sweet. Alcohol and spice finish the brew- both come on very strong. The unmasked alcohol is this brews only detriment and the only way i was be able to tell that it wasnt Belgian in pedigree. Sticky, heavy finish that wasn't too dry and left me wanting more.

3.67/5  rDev -4.7%

On tap at the brewery. They were offering side by side comparisons of the QUAD with the just released barrel aged Blasphemy.

A - Dark mahogany amber color with about a finger of fluffy off-white head.

S - Sweet sugar, cherries, raisins, and plum. There is very little alcohol present in the nose, which is surprising considering the high ABV.

T - Fruity and sweet. Notes of cherry, molasses, spicy yeast, and even a touch of fig.

M - Rather smooth and definitely not as full of alcohol as I was expecting this beer to be. Full bodied but a little light on the carbonation.

D - Certainly a sipping beer due to the richness and the high alcohol content. But, be careful this one is deceiving in the booze dept. and can sneak up on you.

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

App: Pours a clear copper-red with rich gold colored trimming and deep blood-orange center. A good amount of carbonation leaves a persistent but thin head throughout the glass and the drink. Nice edging but not much lacing despite the high alcohol.

Aroma: Big fruity-sweet nose of sugar, peaches, lilies, and cut grass; quite nice. Some warming alcohol comes through, but again, only mildly in comparison to the strength. Slight spice in the far back of the nose.

Taste: Tastes like a milder version of the nose characteristics. Front is rather dry with tart grapes but light overall and follows through with more sweetness and stronger fruit middle. Finishes moist, with strong sweet candy-fruit flavors, some phenolic characteristics and whallop of alcohol, that which has been missing the rest of the time. While alcohol is present at the end it's by no means overpowering and expected for this style.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, medium-full bodied and slightly tongue-smacking from the alcohol. Liquid is viscous and bold but not syrupy.

Drink: Yeah, really nice for the size and good on the budget too so I'd definitely have a few of these and look for a few more later.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Deep copper body topped by a moderate off-white head. Aroma is dominated by sweet caramel and fruit, but it's still "clean" with no funk detectable. Flavor is sweet, but not much else. A slight bitterness, but it's really kind of thin and one dimensional for such a huge beer. A bit of a saccharin-like sweetness hangs on my lips. The beer seems to get sweeter and warmer (heat) as I drink more. Goes down really easy though. I think this will be my sleep aid. I could drink a couple glasses pretty easily, and at 12.2% ABV, I don't think I'll be awake much longer after that. Impressive by it's drinkability and smoothness, if lacking in flavor.

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

Deep burnt orange color, slightly hazy, with an creamy, two fingered, off-white head that settles into a fine sheet atop the brew.

Big malt aroma - biscuity and fruity (raisin, banana, fig) with some spiciness, and rum. Trademark Belgian candi sugar. Sweet, spicy, fruity and rich. Wonderful aroma.

Flavor was good, but not great - disappointing after the aroma, but still good. Start malty with caramelized sugar and fruit, mostly banana. Follows up with some spiciness, peppery. Alcohol is not overwhelming at all, in fact it is barely noticeable in the flavor profile, just sneaking in by way of spiciness. Finishes up dry, with a nice bitterness. Clean and not overly complex.

Soft and smooth feel in the mouth with a nice natural carbonation. Full-bodied but not syrupy or overly thick. Excellent mouthfeel.

Incredibly easy to drink. 12.20% - must be a lie. Wait...ok not a lie, now I am feeling it. The alchol barely show up in the flavor. Goes down smooth, no burn only slight warming. Could this be a session Quadrupel? Maybe not such a great idea.

Good but not as complex as I would expect in a Quadrupel, or from other Belgians/Belgian-Style Ales I have had. Got this and a few others about a year ago from the brewery itself. I'll let the others age to see if more flavor develops.

4.17/5  rDev +8.3%

Nice red copper body with good carbonation, somewhat transparent. Tan head that falls quickly to a thin float. Little lace.
Sweet honey almond cookie nose. There is abit of a spiced character to the smell.
Burning sweet malts well balanced for the style as the hops are clearly defined even in this honey and toffee rush of a taste. Pleasant short lived sweet aftertaste mostly dominated by the malt but taken to a happy middle ground after a moment by some hop notes that lingers well.
Mouthfeel is to be expected, full and thick with some good coating.
A good beer but to be sipped due to the high abv.

-Oelergud

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

From the 12 oz bottle: Poured a rust-colored brew, with a let-down of a watery body (at least visually), and an ultra thin head. Pretty tight little sugary aroma, almost reminiscent of grape juice. Wow ... despite it’s innocent allure, this packs a powerful little punch. Heady in its alcohol-laced sweetness, this warms your gullet like a little bit of lighter fluid on its way down. Grape, sourdough bread, and a bit of unripe pear. Very good. (#2670, 1/28/07)

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance: Unclouded opper, little head fading quickly.

Smell: Banana, vanilla and a hint of alcohol. Maybe a little sugary fruit like peach also.

Taste: A bit malty. Alcohol is suprisingly hidden well. Kind of an oaky flavor comes through which is interesting because Weyerbacher is considering oak aging this beer. Still a smooth flavor. After taste is a little buttery.

Overall very drinkable flavor wise, not alcohol wise though since its over 11%. Would easily make it a favorite to replace wine anyway.

3.08/5  rDev -20%

Clear burnt orange with an off-white head. The foam was a little rocky, settled quickly, and left behind a bit of lace. Smells sweet with a little booze, light yeasty spices, a little banana. Sweet flavour up front, some fruitiness, then caramel and booze, some bready/biscuity malt. Dry finish with burnt malt notes. Medium/low carbonation, full bodied with alcohol warmth. I'm not sure what they're aiming for with this beer, but it didn't impress.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

Bought at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo.

Pours a clear copper, thin off white head forms, some lace spots, disappears quick. Smell is very boozy, fruity, toffee, some yeast, maybe a little banana, not too harsh. Taste is not bad, lots of fruit, estery, toffee, some yeast, nothing complex but not the liquor bomb I usually expect in Weyerbacher. This may be an old bottled. Mouthfeel is pretty slick, full bodied, nice carbonation, heat in the finish, lingering flavour, not too bad.

2.71/5  rDev -29.6%

12 oz. bottle served in oversized wine glass.

A: Pours a copper color with a one finger head, receding to a cap upon the beer.

S: Sugary and malty. Slight alcohol.

T: Boozy, fruity astrigancy. Unbalanced. Not complex, just powerful.

M: Tingling and creamy at the same time.

D: Umm..not very drinkable. Too boozy. More of a sipper, yet not very enjoyable.

This is my first Quad. To be fair, I will try others. It may just not be my style, I'm not sure. I just know that this was not enjoyable.

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle

A: Pours a reddish golden with a small bubbly head. No lacing.

S: Yeasty with strong phenols that remind me of urinal cakes. Some banana and candi sugar aromas as well.

T: Sweet, sugary taste. There are some interesting flavors of banana and spice (like a hefe, oddly), but the sweetness is just too annoying for me to care.

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. A warming effect from the alcohol content is quite noticable. The best part of this beer so far.

D: Please. Somebody tell me - why do I waste my time with Weyerbacher? Always a disapointment. This one is surely drinkable but hardly worth the price tag.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Quad from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.