White Sun Wit - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

White Sun WitWhite Sun Wit

good

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Witbier |  4.60% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 06-01-2002)

strykn42, Jan 25, 2012
1.2/5  rDev -66.2%

Appearance - The most plain looking beer I've ever seen. This looks extraordinarily flat, bland and tasteless. Whatever head appeared dissipated before I could even measure it. No film is left on top and no lacing is visible. The beer is a murky, cloudy off-white yellow which appears to have low carbonation. Yes I realize this is what a witbier is supposed to look like. But this was bad.

Smell - This smells rancid. Huge hints of some kind of dead grass. Alfalfa and squash are present in the nose as well. Slightly spicy but overall unpleasant.

Taste - Filled with ginger and mixed poorly with grass notes and light berries. A slightly sweet note is due to the heavy amount of ginger. This is pretty awful. It's kind of like I took a fistful out of the ground; dirt, grass and all, and am trying to see what I can find in the earth. A slight metallic taste that reminds me of chewing on aluminum.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - This beer really made me gag. I love Weyerbacher brews; but this one was just a complete miss for me. Entirely too earthy and natural. Unpleasant in many ways. The sickening sweet metal aftertaste really got to me. One of the very few Weyerbacher's I'd never buy again.

Jesse13713, Mar 26, 2011
1.65/5  rDev -53.5%

12 oz bottle into a rare vos 3/4 pint glass

appears murky and super-light in the glass. kind of like a near-frozen glass of coors light. not much head but alot of slow-moving crazy carbonation.

smells very yeasty, bready. there are strong coconut notes here, reminding me of a day at the beach and suntan lotion.

what a surprise. it also tastes like suntan lotion. after the first sip, i was expecting sand to crunch between my teeth. this beer is devoid of any positive flavor other than a mild wheat taste. the proper base is present, but the foul vinegar taste combined with coconut and an absurd viscosity makes for the worst beer of the my 2005 so far.. unless you count the weyerbacher merry monks which was also not my cup of tea (although i could see someone else liking that one). not this.

weyerbacher is the only praised micro that i drink where every other beer i try is absolutely terrible.. and the good ones seem to be the higher abv. will be sticking to those in the future, unless i can get a single to try.

goodbyeohio, Feb 19, 2005
1.73/5  rDev -51.3%

The pour produced a cloudy light yellow brew with almost no head. It appears to be well carbonated by the bubbles rising up through the beer.

The spice aroma seemed to overwhelm the senses, unfortunatley I could not nail down the exact spice. The taste is what really threw me, harsh wheat flavor and the spices did not seem to blend well.

The mouthfeel was good, the carbonation seemed to flow nicely over the tongue, but again the flavor seemed to take away from it.

While I usually like Belgian Wheats I will have to pass on this one.

trekbiker3000, May 16, 2005

Jamstone714, May 02, 2012

timdetman, Jun 20, 2014
2.15/5  rDev -39.4%

Looks cloudy yellow with a fading white head. Smells of citrus sulfur :( it seems this is one of those sulfur wits. I guess it is to someones style or just a function of bad yeast management. The flavor is not so sulfur yeast intensive but it is more of an aftertaste. I got though this beer but was glad I only got it in a mix six pack. I am always so happy with the Weyerbacher products but this is one I won't try again for a while.

Higravity, Jun 20, 2006
2.2/5  rDev -38%

Jimmero645, Oct 19, 2014
2.35/5  rDev -33.8%

AP: Looks like Mountain Dew soda with less head!! It started with head and then it was totally gone within seconds of the pour, I've never seen a head dissapear as quickly. I think it was bone-white but it was gone so fast I'm not really sure. It's cloudy with streaming bubbles that don't create a head...very curious, looks flat. Not exactly actractive.

Nose: This is the best part of the beer...it's pretty aromatic even if it is in a very simple way with spices and herbal wheat and yeast.

Taste: Hey>wheat ( a horse would love this brew)>yeast>Spices and a sour malt.

MF: Thin and flat feeling...I guess you could concider it light body.

DA: This is hardly worth the $1.70 I paid for it.

GratefulBeerGuy, Nov 13, 2006

chrispoint, Feb 18, 2012

TheBigBoy, May 11, 2013

JAHMUR, Dec 29, 2011

themotherculture, Jan 13, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -28.7%

A - Light peach and cloudy/opaque - I shook the yeast into it. The head is disappointing. I tried a forceful pour but it still only gave me a finger which was also very fizzy and dissipated fast (not creamy at all).

S - I got orange peel and lemon. Mostly citrus here.

T - A spike of wheat to start off then it gets sour, which is good at first (it also has a slight peach flavor) but it gets old quick. It ends up overpowering the other flavors with every sip.

M - The mouthfeel was the low point for this beer. The only saving point was the yeast that I poured into it. Other than that it was watery and did not have much body at all.

D - The smell is nice, but overall it's the sourness and thinness that lost it for me. It's got a silkiness to it from the yeast but it would be so much better if it had some body to back it up. I've had Weyerbacher's Imperial which I really enjoyed and I've heard good things about their Barley Wine, but I'd wouldn't get their Blanche again.

matsputis, Jul 08, 2007
2.53/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12ozer bottle purchased as a single from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" white head above an oh-so-light yellow (can you say Countrytime Lemonade?) hued brew. Head is gone in a blink of the eye, and lacing is minimal, to be generous. Aroma is of wheat and some light spices, and something sort of funky that I can't identify. Taste is upfront sour citrus, with a slight rounding out of wheat flavors that falls short of any balancing effect. Mouthfeel is just not working for me, goes down hard. Drinkability, for all of the above observations, is not so great, in my book. It takes some doing, but I won't pour this one out. Not one of their better offerings, to be nice.

Edit - tried another bottle swiped from a sixer to be sure that's not an oldie (since they don't date their bottles), and am sticking to my original review.

ppoitras, Oct 08, 2004
2.6/5  rDev -26.8%

This beer is a pale golden color, slightly hazy and it has a tall white head that laces and retains well.
The aroma is very yeasty with a slight amount of citrus.
The flavor is a bit watered down, but has a solid yeast flavor near the finish. It also has a bit of clove hidden in there, but yeast seems to be the dominant flavor.
Mouth feel is light bodied and moderately carbonated.
The yeast in this beer just seems a bit overpowering, which hinders this brew.

Naes, May 08, 2006
2.63/5  rDev -25.9%

A good looking beer. It is very white, no dizzle. Tons of yeast make this a luminous brew.

If I could say this beer smells like anything, it would be a bag of lemon drops (or lemon Sour Patch Kids). That's not quite what I'm looking for in a witbier. Give me bananas, dammit.

Taste isn't much better. There is just way too much yeast in this bad boy (come on, you know it has to be served with the yeast swirled). Very tart, puckering, and sour. I don't like it, not one bit. Too sour, with nothing to balance it out. I don't HATE it, but I know I don't like it as much as any other wit I've had. Blech, sour.

Litterbean, Dec 29, 2005
2.75/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle in to a pint glass. Didn't shake first.

A-Very cloudy, pale yellow. Finger width head didn't last long.

S-Didn't real care for it at first. Has a skunky smell.

T-Pretty good, citrus, maybe a little banana. Still has a skunky aftertaste.

D-I probably won't be getting this one again, one is enough.

chaswisler, May 27, 2009

CraftBeerGuild, Oct 11, 2014

Jason1337, Apr 22, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -21.7%

Weyerbacher is a pretty solid brewery. Almost all styles they have done are pretty impressive. This is their take on the Belgian Wit.

A: Typical hazy straw color. Very cloudy. Head fizzes away within a minute, which is a disappointment.

S: Lots of tartness in the aroma. A hint of lemon and wheat. No hint of spice at all.

T: I would call this a pretty medicore tasting Wit. You get the tart lemon flavor upfront. Then the Belgian yeast comes in. Hardly any spice can be detected at all. The biggest deterrent with this beer is that it seems pretty flat.

M: Again, this beer is pretty flat in the mouthfeel. Pretty watery and light.

D: Well, like most Belgian Wits, it is easy drinking. But the flatness of the beer is a bit of a turn off. Flavors are pretty average and I couldn't imagine seeing myself buying this again.

Probably the worst Weyerbacher beer I have had. It just doesn't do anything for the style and is more in the league of macro lagers. This actually reminded me of a watered down and flat Festina Peche. I am a big fan of Weyerbacher and Belgian Wits, but this beer just doesn't live up to the name or style. Worth a try, but don't expect to be impressed.

OldSchoolGamer, Jun 30, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -21.1%

Appearance: Very pale golden color, hazy, thin head that lasts until the end.

Smell: Not much to speak of. Perhaps a hint of banana and clove, and some thin malt. Slight spiciness.

Taste: The spicy Belagian yeast flavors are there up front, but quickly fade away to some light malt flavors along with banana. The taste was utterly predictable from the smell. Ends with a clean, but almost undesirable astringency.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery. End of story.

Drinkability: Relatively low alcohol and watery body make for an easy drinking hot weather beer.

Overall: I tried, but I am just not impressed with this brew. To me, it tastes alot like Budweiser, which isn't to say bad, just nothing special. I would choose the Bud based on price. It's certainly refreshing on a hot, summer day, but does not warrant any excitement.

bultrey, Jul 19, 2004
2.8/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of Belgian yeast, along with wheat, spices, some lemon and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is bready and has the typical Witbier flavors of Belgian yeast, wheat and citrus, but there’s a weird spice flavor (not coriander) that throws everything off. The malt character is decently hearty and there’s a good hops presence, but again the spice content offsets its good qualities. The after-taste is spicy and slightly sweet.

M: Very crisp but not much smoothness, medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: It’s flavorful but not t very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, good representation of style, mild kick, if you like the spice content this is a good beer to drink for a while, but personally I could not get past it.

TheManiacalOne, Nov 22, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -21.1%

A - this witbier pours a hazy lemon yellow with a thin wispy head, some carbonation visible at the edges

S - strong wheaty backbone with as powerful citrine zestiness, mostly lemon, slight spice, and a strange light mustiness like old clothes found in an attic, not harsh, but humbling

T - lemony, wheaty, big wheaty, with a slight vanilla characteristic as well, a decent flavor, but a weird combination of spices and citrus

M&D - a bit sharp, not too smooth, but a decent for a witbier, a little too sweet, takes the edge of the citrus zest

sinstaineddemon, Jun 11, 2007
2.83/5  rDev -20.3%

Apperance: Poured a hazy, light yellow body with a foamy white head.

Smell: Light aroma of wet hay, bananas, and cloves.

Taste: Tame even for a witbier. Soft wheat flavor, with some banana and tart lemon notes. Finish is brief and quite watery.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Spritzy carbonation.

Drinkability: Unfortunately, this isn't one of Weyerbacher's better beers.

ChainGangGuy, Aug 21, 2007
White Sun Wit from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.