Weyerbacher Wit - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Weyerbacher WitWeyerbacher Wit

Beer added by: UnionMade on 06-01-2002

Formerly White Sun Wit
Ratings: 492 | Reviews: 240
1.22/5  rDev -65.6%

Appearance - The most plain looking beer I've ever seen. This looks extraordinarily flat, bland and tasteless. Whatever head appeared dissipated before I could even measure it. No film is left on top and no lacing is visible. The beer is a murky, cloudy off-white yellow which appears to have low carbonation. Yes I realize this is what a witbier is supposed to look like. But this was bad.

Smell - This smells rancid. Huge hints of some kind of dead grass. Alfalfa and squash are present in the nose as well. Slightly spicy but overall unpleasant.

Taste - Filled with ginger and mixed poorly with grass notes and light berries. A slightly sweet note is due to the heavy amount of ginger. This is pretty awful. It's kind of like I took a fistful out of the ground; dirt, grass and all, and am trying to see what I can find in the earth. A slight metallic taste that reminds me of chewing on aluminum.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - This beer really made me gag. I love Weyerbacher brews; but this one was just a complete miss for me. Entirely too earthy and natural. Unpleasant in many ways. The sickening sweet metal aftertaste really got to me. One of the very few Weyerbacher's I'd never buy again.

1.76/5  rDev -50.4%

12 oz bottle into a rare vos 3/4 pint glass

appears murky and super-light in the glass. kind of like a near-frozen glass of coors light. not much head but alot of slow-moving crazy carbonation.

smells very yeasty, bready. there are strong coconut notes here, reminding me of a day at the beach and suntan lotion.

what a surprise. it also tastes like suntan lotion. after the first sip, i was expecting sand to crunch between my teeth. this beer is devoid of any positive flavor other than a mild wheat taste. the proper base is present, but the foul vinegar taste combined with coconut and an absurd viscosity makes for the worst beer of the my 2005 so far.. unless you count the weyerbacher merry monks which was also not my cup of tea (although i could see someone else liking that one). not this.

weyerbacher is the only praised micro that i drink where every other beer i try is absolutely terrible.. and the good ones seem to be the higher abv. will be sticking to those in the future, unless i can get a single to try.

1.83/5  rDev -48.5%

The pour produced a cloudy light yellow brew with almost no head. It appears to be well carbonated by the bubbles rising up through the beer.

The spice aroma seemed to overwhelm the senses, unfortunatley I could not nail down the exact spice. The taste is what really threw me, harsh wheat flavor and the spices did not seem to blend well.

The mouthfeel was good, the carbonation seemed to flow nicely over the tongue, but again the flavor seemed to take away from it.

While I usually like Belgian Wheats I will have to pass on this one.

2.16/5  rDev -39.2%

Looks cloudy yellow with a fading white head. Smells of citrus sulfur :( it seems this is one of those sulfur wits. I guess it is to someones style or just a function of bad yeast management. The flavor is not so sulfur yeast intensive but it is more of an aftertaste. I got though this beer but was glad I only got it in a mix six pack. I am always so happy with the Weyerbacher products but this is one I won't try again for a while.

2.41/5  rDev -32.1%

AP: Looks like Mountain Dew soda with less head!! It started with head and then it was totally gone within seconds of the pour, I've never seen a head dissapear as quickly. I think it was bone-white but it was gone so fast I'm not really sure. It's cloudy with streaming bubbles that don't create a head...very curious, looks flat. Not exactly actractive.

Nose: This is the best part of the beer...it's pretty aromatic even if it is in a very simple way with spices and herbal wheat and yeast.

Taste: Hey>wheat ( a horse would love this brew)>yeast>Spices and a sour malt.

MF: Thin and flat feeling...I guess you could concider it light body.

DA: This is hardly worth the $1.70 I paid for it.

2.53/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12ozer bottle purchased as a single from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" white head above an oh-so-light yellow (can you say Countrytime Lemonade?) hued brew. Head is gone in a blink of the eye, and lacing is minimal, to be generous. Aroma is of wheat and some light spices, and something sort of funky that I can't identify. Taste is upfront sour citrus, with a slight rounding out of wheat flavors that falls short of any balancing effect. Mouthfeel is just not working for me, goes down hard. Drinkability, for all of the above observations, is not so great, in my book. It takes some doing, but I won't pour this one out. Not one of their better offerings, to be nice.

Edit - tried another bottle swiped from a sixer to be sure that's not an oldie (since they don't date their bottles), and am sticking to my original review.

2.59/5  rDev -27%

A - Light peach and cloudy/opaque - I shook the yeast into it. The head is disappointing. I tried a forceful pour but it still only gave me a finger which was also very fizzy and dissipated fast (not creamy at all).

S - I got orange peel and lemon. Mostly citrus here.

T - A spike of wheat to start off then it gets sour, which is good at first (it also has a slight peach flavor) but it gets old quick. It ends up overpowering the other flavors with every sip.

M - The mouthfeel was the low point for this beer. The only saving point was the yeast that I poured into it. Other than that it was watery and did not have much body at all.

D - The smell is nice, but overall it's the sourness and thinness that lost it for me. It's got a silkiness to it from the yeast but it would be so much better if it had some body to back it up. I've had Weyerbacher's Imperial which I really enjoyed and I've heard good things about their Barley Wine, but I'd wouldn't get their Blanche again.

2.63/5  rDev -25.9%

This beer is a pale golden color, slightly hazy and it has a tall white head that laces and retains well.
The aroma is very yeasty with a slight amount of citrus.
The flavor is a bit watered down, but has a solid yeast flavor near the finish. It also has a bit of clove hidden in there, but yeast seems to be the dominant flavor.
Mouth feel is light bodied and moderately carbonated.
The yeast in this beer just seems a bit overpowering, which hinders this brew.

2.67/5  rDev -24.8%

A good looking beer. It is very white, no dizzle. Tons of yeast make this a luminous brew.

If I could say this beer smells like anything, it would be a bag of lemon drops (or lemon Sour Patch Kids). That's not quite what I'm looking for in a witbier. Give me bananas, dammit.

Taste isn't much better. There is just way too much yeast in this bad boy (come on, you know it has to be served with the yeast swirled). Very tart, puckering, and sour. I don't like it, not one bit. Too sour, with nothing to balance it out. I don't HATE it, but I know I don't like it as much as any other wit I've had. Blech, sour.

2.76/5  rDev -22.3%

Appearance: Very pale golden color, hazy, thin head that lasts until the end.

Smell: Not much to speak of. Perhaps a hint of banana and clove, and some thin malt. Slight spiciness.

Taste: The spicy Belagian yeast flavors are there up front, but quickly fade away to some light malt flavors along with banana. The taste was utterly predictable from the smell. Ends with a clean, but almost undesirable astringency.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery. End of story.

Drinkability: Relatively low alcohol and watery body make for an easy drinking hot weather beer.

Overall: I tried, but I am just not impressed with this brew. To me, it tastes alot like Budweiser, which isn't to say bad, just nothing special. I would choose the Bud based on price. It's certainly refreshing on a hot, summer day, but does not warrant any excitement.

2.76/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle in to a pint glass. Didn't shake first.

A-Very cloudy, pale yellow. Finger width head didn't last long.

S-Didn't real care for it at first. Has a skunky smell.

T-Pretty good, citrus, maybe a little banana. Still has a skunky aftertaste.

D-I probably won't be getting this one again, one is enough.

2.8/5  rDev -21.1%

Weyerbacher is a pretty solid brewery. Almost all styles they have done are pretty impressive. This is their take on the Belgian Wit.

A: Typical hazy straw color. Very cloudy. Head fizzes away within a minute, which is a disappointment.

S: Lots of tartness in the aroma. A hint of lemon and wheat. No hint of spice at all.

T: I would call this a pretty medicore tasting Wit. You get the tart lemon flavor upfront. Then the Belgian yeast comes in. Hardly any spice can be detected at all. The biggest deterrent with this beer is that it seems pretty flat.

M: Again, this beer is pretty flat in the mouthfeel. Pretty watery and light.

D: Well, like most Belgian Wits, it is easy drinking. But the flatness of the beer is a bit of a turn off. Flavors are pretty average and I couldn't imagine seeing myself buying this again.

Probably the worst Weyerbacher beer I have had. It just doesn't do anything for the style and is more in the league of macro lagers. This actually reminded me of a watered down and flat Festina Peche. I am a big fan of Weyerbacher and Belgian Wits, but this beer just doesn't live up to the name or style. Worth a try, but don't expect to be impressed.

2.83/5  rDev -20.3%

A - this witbier pours a hazy lemon yellow with a thin wispy head, some carbonation visible at the edges

S - strong wheaty backbone with as powerful citrine zestiness, mostly lemon, slight spice, and a strange light mustiness like old clothes found in an attic, not harsh, but humbling

T - lemony, wheaty, big wheaty, with a slight vanilla characteristic as well, a decent flavor, but a weird combination of spices and citrus

M&D - a bit sharp, not too smooth, but a decent for a witbier, a little too sweet, takes the edge of the citrus zest

2.85/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of Belgian yeast, along with wheat, spices, some lemon and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is bready and has the typical Witbier flavors of Belgian yeast, wheat and citrus, but there’s a weird spice flavor (not coriander) that throws everything off. The malt character is decently hearty and there’s a good hops presence, but again the spice content offsets its good qualities. The after-taste is spicy and slightly sweet.

M: Very crisp but not much smoothness, medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: It’s flavorful but not t very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, good representation of style, mild kick, if you like the spice content this is a good beer to drink for a while, but personally I could not get past it.

2.86/5  rDev -19.4%

Apperance: Poured a hazy, light yellow body with a foamy white head.

Smell: Light aroma of wet hay, bananas, and cloves.

Taste: Tame even for a witbier. Soft wheat flavor, with some banana and tart lemon notes. Finish is brief and quite watery.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Spritzy carbonation.

Drinkability: Unfortunately, this isn't one of Weyerbacher's better beers.

2.9/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no freshness dating to be seen on the bottle. The label stated it was a malt beverage brewed with spice. This description reminded me more of a winter warmer than a summer beer. It poured a pretty clear pale yellow color until I swished the bottle and added the left over yeast and sediment in the bottom. It turned a really hazy darker golden yellow color. It was almost white when I held it to the light. The fluffy white head dissipated rather slowly and left some strong lacing in the pint. Smell was rather peanutty at first mixed with a dough like scent. Hints of yeast and some pale malt were also present. The slight esters of clove and some lingering banana were in the back of the nose. The first taste was rather chewy and dough like. It reminded me of a sugar cookie with some banana in the after taste. Strong presence of yeast and wheat in the taste mixed with some spiced tones. Mouthfeel was rather nice not over carbonated and not too thin. It did prove to be smooth and rather easy to drink. It is a decent brew but I have had a bunch of wheat beers this summer and this one was not on my favorite list. It is a style of beer for the summer and may appeal to other people’s tastes but it was not really too appealing to mine.

2.93/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours extremely cloudy. A beautiful lemon juice color that looks almost white at the edges. The head is pillowy and white as snow. The lace leaves leopard spots down the glass.

The smell is foul yeast. Citrus and spice are definitely present but overpowered by something that just smells bad. I almost want to compare it to sweat.

Thankfully, the taste isn't similar to the smell. Very wheaty. Citrus and spice are played down in this witbier, but they definitely add some character. The yeast is mild compared to the wheat, and from the smell, I'd say that's a good thing.

The mouthfeel is par for the course. A good amount of coarse body and some tingly carbonation.

As far as drinkability, that takes a hit because of the smell. I get a big, nasty whiff every time I take a sip. This is only average for a witbier, and better choices abound. (Most of them even smell nice.)

2.98/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass; my pilsner glasses were on top of the cabinet and I didn't feel like standing on a chair.

A - Hazy yellow, similar to grapefruit juice. A finger of head falls to a thin film, but the lacing is decent.

S - Although mild coriander and citrus are present, the main aroma is fruity. It falls somewhere between bananas, pineapples, and the sour-ish aroma of the wheat malt.

T - Terribly sweet. A flavor reminiscent of sun screen, mainly coconuts and pineapples hits initially and doesn't let up. The sourness from the wheat malt tries to fight it's way through and counteract some of the sweetness but dies with a whimper. Coconut flavor prevails, but a quick coriander note hits late palate. Faint citrus/orange element pulls through in the aftertaste, though it still feels like I've eaten Hawaiian Tropic.

M - Decent for the style. Light bodied, borderline watery, with ample carbonation.

D - A drinkable brew for sure, and pretty good to boot. The problem is that it is a horrible representation for a witbier. Gone is the crispness and spiciness; instead we have something like a bizarre witbeir/hefeweizen hybrid with way too many fruity esters. This tastes like a bland hefe with a dose of pina colada cocktail mixer.

Decent enough brew, but far from a wit.

2.98/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

07/17/13 At Rattle N Hum, NYC. On tap. Very light & refreshing yet substantial in flavor & mouthfeel. Lots of coriander & floral notes on the nose. Pleasant aftertaste. I may overuse this word, but polite is exactly what this beer is & I will be welcoming it back to my world at a later date.

08/25/11 I knew it then as Weyerbacher Blanche, but is now known as White Sun Wit and is available seasonably.

Not that I mind, as I found it to be just OK. A tad heavy, even at just 5% ABV.

The "coriander and dried curacao orange peels" used to create a "clean finish...with just a hint of tart spiciness" missed the mark, IMHO.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

What a strange wit. Pours out a yellow/gold color with a little bit of head but went away rather quickly. Smell consisted of wheat, coriander and some sweet candy-like aromas. I was hoping it didn't have that candy-like taste, but it did sad to say. Has some mouth-plucking lemon taste which seems to get worse when the beer warms up. Then some peppery spicies mix in to somewhat calm the lemon taste out, but it's still overwhelming. I got a bunch of beers from this brewery, I hope they're not all this bad. Pass on this one.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I was excited when I saw this one, not many American breweries are mass-producing wit beers. Needless to say I was rather disappointed with this one. The subtle spicey citrusy flavor which enjoy about this style, just wasn't there. I hate coming off like a style maven, but as far as style goes, it misses wit by just a bit. All of the wits that I have had are wits in their own ways, yet they all have some kind of citrus spice combination that makes this style so quaffable to my palate. My overall impression is that this is a drinkable beer that needs to adjust the spice a bit.

A: Pours a cloudy light straw color with a fluffy white head

S: Some spice, some citrus, some floral qualities, but nothing mindblowing

T: Some spice up front, followed by a mild sweetness and crisp bite of a little citrus, and a slightly jasmine-like finish. Nothing special, but not bad either

O: A nice, easy drinking thirst quencher. Though nothing special, it's an enjoyable brew, and at only 4.5%, you could pound these all day long

3.01/5  rDev -15.2%

12oz beer poured into Weyerbacher tulip from a sample case at the brewery.

A: Hazy light gold with a thin white bread head that drops off over time.

N: Yeast and spice. Coriander and citrus rinds most present but the yeast is laid out on top of all the others, particularly when cold.

T: Something of a sweet yeast flavor with spicy black pepper. Odd taste that isnt particularly pleasant. Not sure but it seems like a combination of peanut shells and honey. Citrus isnt as strong as what was in the nose but there is some lemon and pear here.

M: Light and spicy mouthfeel that was substantially dry.

D: Pretty dull beer, not a WB favorite at all. Wanted to give it another try. Surely light and drinkable but not a real winner. Had this bottle with spicy food and it didnt hold its own.

After having their Alpha, this is far inferior.

3.02/5  rDev -14.9%

12oz bottle, served in a SA perfect pint glass

A - pours with a very thin layer of loose bubbly white foam. the beer is very light, straw colored and crystal clear with a few floating specks of sediment.

S - very fruity: green apples, pears, some banana and lemon. light sweet wheat and grains.

T - lemon rinds and banana, a little soapy. lacking some spice and character. wheat adds a bit of sweetness but mostly dominated by (bland) grains.

M - one of the thinnest beers i've ever had, rivaling that of an adjunct lager. carbonation is a little tingly but not forced.

D - not my style, not my beer. falls flat in a few areas.

3.03/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Bright golden yellow color with minimal head and average carbonation. Smells of lemon and other citrusy things. Average light penetration. Not overly sweet for a wheat, but refreshing. No real lacing. Not bitter, but has that citrus zing to it. A refreshing taste, but nothing spectacular. While I have nothing really bad to say about this beer, it is at the end of the day average. Nothing amazing or poor about it. What can I say, it is basically Hoegarden from Weyerbacher.

Weyerbacher Wit from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.