Raspberry Imperial Stout - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Raspberry Imperial StoutRaspberry Imperial Stout

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: UnionMade on 10-01-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Imperial Stout Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -68.2%

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

2.5/5  rDev -36.4%

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

I've been hanging on to this a good while and decided to reminisce my earlier craft beer days. I still remember when I first tasted this at a shop (thanks, Vintage Cellar!). Fruit beers have never been my thing, heck, I'm not even a fan of the chocolate raspberry combo, but this I like. A little thin for an imperial stout, but the flavor is a treat with actual fruit flavor. Dessert-like without being cloying. This has held up well, and still I wonder why Weyerbacher retired this one. RIP--no. I say, bring it back!

4.72/5  rDev +20.1%

It may well be retired, but my cellar has been belching up all sorts of long-forgotten bottles over the course of this Summer's Bottle Purge.

I began with a gentle pour as befits these ancient gems, but when that failed to produce any head, I gave it a vigorous swirl in the glass just to see what would happen. I got a brief finger of deep-tan-light-brown head that quickly fell to wisps. Color was an Opaque Brown (SRM = 44). Nose had taken on a very raspberry preserve-like quality and I was really interested to see what else may have transpired. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was like chocolate-covered raspberries! Holy Panty Peeler, Batman! This had become a fantastic beer, eminently drinkable, despite its ABV. I was also put in mind of a Raspberry Tootsie Roll Pop, what with the way the raspberry was interacting with the chocolate malt. It was very sweet and definitely a dessert beer at this point, but I have been drinking Stouts today, so this was perfectly fitting for the occasion. Finish was semi-sweet with the raspberry balancing out the chocolate malt. My my.

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

2007 vintage

a - poured a 1/2 finger thick tan head into a snifter. the body was dark black with red edges.
s - raspberry and licorice dominate.
t - raspberry with a hint of chocolate sweetness.
m - thin, slick.
o - very balanced and drinkable. the raspberry has really come through strongly over the years.

4.57/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have no idea why they retired this. Best beer Weyerbacher ever produced IMO. Great balance and deceptively strong. I feel like Weyerbacher puts too much effort into ridiculously strong beers, but this is one that had a really smooth finish for its ABV, and the raspberry was subtle but nicely present in the aftertaste. RIP.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured into a Delirium snifter on 9/14/12

Thanks to PDXHops

Dark brown - nearly black in the glass. A hot chocolate colored head hits about one thumb's worth but skims out shortly. A thin layer remains with a little lace.

Sweet raspberry aromas are dense but are integrated fully with thick swaths of chocolate and roasted dark grains. Raspberry chocolate cordial. Simple aroma; smells ok. Better with warmth.

At this point, the flavor is primarily dark roast with some coffee and hints of bitter chocolate. The raspberry is relegated to the peripheries. Mild hoppy finish.

As far as what I've grown accustomed to for Imperial Stouts (but who cares since this is a fruit beer, right?), this is medium/medium-light. Notable is a granular feel that is most appreciable on the finish. Carbonation kicks off on a high note and calms to a manageable level. I like the gritty feel.

As I never tried this fresh, I have no direct comparison, but this is pretty good.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Raspberry Imperial Stout from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.