Heresy - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

HeresyHeresy

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-21-2004

Old Heathen aged in oak (whiskey/bourbon) barrels.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heresy Alström Bros

1.18/5  rDev -70%

Been a want of mine for a while but have had 2 infected bottles.

1.5/5  rDev -61.8%

Photo of
1.5/5  rDev -61.8%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

1.64/5  rDev -58.3%

1.75/5  rDev -55.5%

1.75/5  rDev -55.5%

1.9/5  rDev -51.7%

Not good. It just tastes like oak, oak, and more oak. The only other note i can pick up, and i'm not kidding, is urine. As i bury my face in this snifter and inhale deeply, i smell old urine.

There is no coffee, vanilla, chocolate, bourbon, anything. It smells and tastes like watered down $5/pint scottish whisky.

1.95/5  rDev -50.4%

This beer is a heavy imperial stout beer that has been aged in Oak barrels. It is in these barrels that the beer develops a harsh taste to the beer. I personally, do not like the taste of this beer despite the fact that I really like imperial stouts. I was disappointed and expected more.

1.96/5  rDev -50.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Multiple infected bottles of this consumed over a period of months. All of them drainpours. Awful

What a disappointment. Bottled on 2/14 and I think it's also indicating a drink by date of 10/14. Similar to other reviews, there's just nothing here for me. Actually tasting more like a barrel aged sour than a stout. Thin, tart and simple. Not a good effort from Weyerbacher, which usually excells... Maybe it was a bad batch, but avoid the 2/14 bottling....

I purchased a four pack of Heresy based on the description on the box. This beer has an awful hoppy sour taste. I have opened two and could not manage to drink more than half before pouring it down the drain. I really hate wasting pricey beer, but I cannot tolerate this stuff!
Looks like the bro-in-law is getting a couple of beers for xmas!

2.08/5  rDev -47.1%

Drain pour for me...I don't love bourbon barrel beers but normally I can finish them. Just really, not enjoying this one. Drinks more like a mediocre sour than an Russian Imperial Stout. If it was the only beer I had in my fridge I could finish it...but for my one Tuesday night beer I'm dumping it and going for the Founders Breakfast Stout.

2.12/5  rDev -46.1%

2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

2.35/5  rDev -40.2%

On tap in a shaker pint. Black body with a modest but dense creamy tan head. Decent sticky lacing.

Smells of boozy sweet oak, cocoa and vanilla. Lacking in the roasted department. The bourbon flavor is quite strong, and doesn't really go well together with plentiful tangy raisin and sweet rich fig. A little chocolate in the swallow. Really boozy, even at a manageable 8% ABV. Again, quite lacking in roasted malt character, with a touch showing up only in the aftertaste. A good deal thinner than anticipated.

Overall impression: Forgettable, could use a few tweaks. Not recommended.

2.41/5  rDev -38.7%

I was pretty psyched about trying this beer. I've enjoyed a lot of other Weyerbachers and I always enjoy a new RIS...so let's get to it. Bought from the fairgrounds in Danbury, CT.

A: Pretty standard. Near jet black with two about 1.5 fingers of toasty brown head that dissipates strangely quickly.

S: Disappointing. Smell of alcohol is getting in the way of everything. Is this beer or hard liquor? The bourbon is way overpowering. Hints of dark fruit and chocolate in the back.

T: Tastes a bit better than the smell, but still... bourbon is too overpowering, getting in the way a bit. Otherwise, tastes how it smells, dark fruits mostly, hints of chocolate.

M: If this has one thing going, its nice and full bodied. Light carbonation, smooth finish.

D: Egh. Not my cup of tea at all. Drinkable, but I will not be buying this beer again in the near future.

The bourbon was too much here, period. Will not be buying again.

2.42/5  rDev -38.4%

What the hell did I just buy? I had high hopes for Heresy based on some of the buzz I have heard about it combined with my like of Weyerbacher products. The moment you pop the top, the smell of bourbon hits your face. That was not a good start for me. I quickly remember that I am not a fan of bourbon. The stout pours a pitch black color with a quickly dissipating head. It certainly looks like an Imperial Stout but the smell of bourbon and oak are too strong for me. I can detect some roasted malt aroma hiding in there somewhere. The first sip hits you with that strong bourbon taste with some sweetness behind it and it wasn’t getting any better for me from there. I bought a 12oz bottle that I split with my girlfriend and that was too much for me. I had a real hard time finishing this one. If you are a bourbon fan, than this stout is for you. As far as I am concerned, I will stick with the Old Heathen.

Heresy from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.