Heresy - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

HeresyHeresy

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

Old Heathen aged in oak (bourbon) barrels.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-21-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heresy Alström Bros
jonmorgan

1.5/5  rDev -62%

04-21-2014 00:52:43 | More by lic217
Photo of

1.5/5  rDev -62%

You rated this beer. Consider writing a review.

03-02-2014 01:10:57 | More by

Colorado

08-01-2014 04:43:50 | More by Kramerbarthomer
tkepx182

1.88/5  rDev -52.4%

This beer is a heavy imperial stout beer that has been aged in Oak barrels. It is in these barrels that the beer develops a harsh taste to the beer. I personally, do not like the taste of this beer despite the fact that I really like imperial stouts. I was disappointed and expected more.

05-09-2011 23:28:46 | More by tkepx182

10-11-2013 03:46:13 | More by MLaVioletteJr
PDXHops

South Carolina

2.3/5  rDev -41.8%

On tap in a shaker pint. Black body with a modest but dense creamy tan head. Decent sticky lacing.

Smells of boozy sweet oak, cocoa and vanilla. Lacking in the roasted department. The bourbon flavor is quite strong, and doesn't really go well together with plentiful tangy raisin and sweet rich fig. A little chocolate in the swallow. Really boozy, even at a manageable 8% ABV. Again, quite lacking in roasted malt character, with a touch showing up only in the aftertaste. A good deal thinner than anticipated.

Overall impression: Forgettable, could use a few tweaks. Not recommended.

09-02-2010 19:59:27 | More by PDXHops
oracle

Indiana

2.4/5  rDev -39.2%

12 oz bottle served in a traditional english pint glass.

Beer poured an opaque black with generious very dark tan head that left minor lacing in the glass.

Smell was all coffee and dark roasted carmel.

I was disappointed with this beer. The taste of whiskey which comes from the oak barrels in which the beer is fermented lend entirely too much whiskey flavor into the beer, obliterating the taste of the beer itself. I just really couldn't taste much here except for the whiskey.

I'll pass on this one from now on.

01-06-2005 14:03:53 | More by oracle
yelterdow

2.4/5  rDev -39.2%

Cellared for the better part of a year, this baby is ready for a review. 22 oz. bomber served at cellar temperature in a huge brandy snifter.

Appearance- A loud *pfwssss* as the cap comes off... what a great looking beer. Dark cocoa on the eyes, it has a creaminess unlike any other imperial stout I've seen... seriously viscous and mature, the barrel aging has definitely influenced the appearance. Big, spotty lacing is splattered all over the inside of the glass, while the remaining outer ring of bubbles continues to slowly pop and disintegrate. A powerlifter on the eyes.

Smell- This aroma lives on another planet when it comes to imperial stouts. Wood, chocolate, and the most amazing fullness with regard to the barrel aging in oak. So phenomenally unique that my nose refuses to back out of the glass. Truffles, vanilla, cordialesque notes abound. English Stilton cheese is clearly there. Wildly exciting.

Taste- I'm shocked to find a sour astringency gripping my tongue and ruining any chance of going on... this should not suffer from cellaring so this is really disappointing. The beer simply self-destructs upon entry, exhibiting a harsh bite that envelops the mouth and sends me reeling. This is really impossible to further sample.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Flat and boring... it doesn't stay together for even three seconds. I love most everything from Weyerbacher, especially their latest efforts... but this bottle of Heresy is terrible.

11-05-2006 05:20:14 | More by yelterdow
Plughfish

2.42/5  rDev -38.7%

What the hell did I just buy? I had high hopes for Heresy based on some of the buzz I have heard about it combined with my like of Weyerbacher products. The moment you pop the top, the smell of bourbon hits your face. That was not a good start for me. I quickly remember that I am not a fan of bourbon. The stout pours a pitch black color with a quickly dissipating head. It certainly looks like an Imperial Stout but the smell of bourbon and oak are too strong for me. I can detect some roasted malt aroma hiding in there somewhere. The first sip hits you with that strong bourbon taste with some sweetness behind it and it wasn’t getting any better for me from there. I bought a 12oz bottle that I split with my girlfriend and that was too much for me. I had a real hard time finishing this one. If you are a bourbon fan, than this stout is for you. As far as I am concerned, I will stick with the Old Heathen.

08-19-2004 20:53:07 | More by Plughfish
entisgood

Maryland

2.42/5  rDev -38.7%

at first i was blown away by how much this smelt like alcohol out of the bottle. this had a very dark, almost black pour. big head left some lacing as i drank it.
i thought this beer was close to undrinkable. the only flavor i got from it was whiskey. had a creme feeling in my mouth but it was overwhelmed by the taste of alcohol.
I found this beer harder to drink than weyerbachers quad and will definitely be avoiding it.

06-19-2010 04:02:58 | More by entisgood
xanok

2.42/5  rDev -38.7%

I was pretty psyched about trying this beer. I've enjoyed a lot of other Weyerbachers and I always enjoy a new RIS...so let's get to it. Bought from the fairgrounds in Danbury, CT.

A: Pretty standard. Near jet black with two about 1.5 fingers of toasty brown head that dissipates strangely quickly.

S: Disappointing. Smell of alcohol is getting in the way of everything. Is this beer or hard liquor? The bourbon is way overpowering. Hints of dark fruit and chocolate in the back.

T: Tastes a bit better than the smell, but still... bourbon is too overpowering, getting in the way a bit. Otherwise, tastes how it smells, dark fruits mostly, hints of chocolate.

M: If this has one thing going, its nice and full bodied. Light carbonation, smooth finish.

D: Egh. Not my cup of tea at all. Drinkable, but I will not be buying this beer again in the near future.

The bourbon was too much here, period. Will not be buying again.

11-04-2009 03:37:41 | More by xanok

Brew_Bro

03-13-2014 22:11:50 | More by Brew_Bro
CaptJackHarkness

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

Pours a deep brown with ruddy highlights good creamy head. Not a very malty aroma. Tasted like burnt chocolate and sour raisins.Very bitter aftertaste.Higher and obvious alchohol content, which is expected in an Imperial. Perhaps this beer is a touch too hoppy!

09-12-2011 20:57:51 | More by CaptJackHarkness
acurtis

2.53/5  rDev -35.9%

Weyerbacher Heresy Imperial Stout - 12oz bottle (undated, should be 2010)
When I visited the brewery a few weeks ago they were completely out of this brew. I was looking forward to trying it so I picked up a 4 pack when I saw it at my local shop, sandy's. I love stouts but I don't like a strong alcohol taste. I have 3 different Weyberbacher Imperial Stouts in the fridge so its time to try one. This one, Hersey is 8% abv and was aged in Oak barrels.
Poured into Weyerbacher Verboten glass. Very dark with small 1/2 finger tan head. Good lacing. The bourbon is very present in this bottle. Dominates the smell. Taste wise the oak and bourbon also really come through, I just don't like it. Unfortunately not what I'm looking for in a beer although I do think that they achieved what they were out for when aging their stout in bourbon barrels.

10-05-2010 01:04:02 | More by acurtis
Heresy from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.