Heresy - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

HeresyHeresy

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-21-2004

Old Heathen aged in oak (whiskey/bourbon) barrels.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heresy Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,165 | Reviews: 1,007
4.66/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

The look was perfect, it let you know it really is a stout. The smell was not as strong as a stout should be but it was there. The taste was great, the whiskey was hidden well, however, the feel let you know the whiskey was there. The feel, was like the previous statement, and kind of thin for a stout.

Great beer ! What else needs to be said...

4.53/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Nice BA stout here. Readily available and well made.

Appearance: Dark as night very little head to speak of exactly what you would expect of a good BA stout.

Aroma: Some light whisky notes, caramel vanilla are dominant.

Taste: Very nicely done, not too burned very well balanced. Barrel does not shine as much as you would expect but there are notes that are present. Vanilla and roasted barley and caramel are the most prominent.

Overall: Very well made stout and enjoyable for the style. I would definitely seek this one out again in the future.

4.76/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Great look, smooth taste, the smell is enticing. One of the best stouts I have had.

3.23/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Another swing-and-miss from Weyerbacher for me. With any of their beers, I've realized I either hate it or I love it. This looked and smelled nice enough, but seemed way too sweet, with an odd mix of dark fruit and toffee. Did not seem to be well complemented by it's time in the barrel. Besides the flavor profile that was a bit disjointed, the body was way too thin for what this beer is trying to be. Thankfully I had an Insanity on hand to rinse the taste out of my mouth and make me forget what I just drank.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

i was truly hoping for more. it did have a whiskey feel which was awesome

4.32/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark and full of bourbon

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

12 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 2/3/2015. Pours pitch black color with a 1 finger dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, vanilla, toffee, bourbon, oak, light dark fruit, and roast/oaky earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt, bourbon barrel, and light dark fruit notes; with great strength. Taste of dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, vanilla, toffee, bourbon, oak, light dark fruit, and roast/oaky earthiness. Light roast/oaky bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, vanilla, toffee, bourbon, oak, light dark fruit, and roast/oaky bitterness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt, bourbon barrel, and light dark fruit flavors; with a great malt/barrel balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied; with a very smooth, fairly creamy, and slightly bready/chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent barrel aged imperial stout. All around great complexity, balance, and robustness of dark/roasted malt, bourbon barrel, and light dark fruit flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the ABV. The barrel character is very pronounced, but not overdone. A very enjoyable offering.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was just what I expected and I wasn't disappointed. Great bourbon taste and a nice heavy stout body, great example of a BBA Stout.

1.18/5  rDev -70%

Been a want of mine for a while but have had 2 infected bottles.

A great great beer all around! I love this !

Not much I can say other than "outstanding."

1.96/5  rDev -50.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Multiple infected bottles of this consumed over a period of months. All of them drainpours. Awful

2.98/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I found the whiskey flavor overpowering. Perhaps collaring for a year will mellow its bite.

3.89/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic looking beer. Pitch black with a great full brown head.

Full whiskey smell, with a fresh wood smell, but not very strong.

Great whiskey flavor, with a distinguishable toasted vanilla bean flavor to it. This has a pretty well balanced flavor.

Warming full feel to this beer. It tasted better as you get further into the beer and it warms up just a little bit. The flavors seem to fill up a lot of your mouth.

3.72/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

As much as I like Old Heathen, this just missed the mark for me. The bourbon flavor just did not seem to mesh well with this beer. Surprising because I generally like Weyerbacher's stuff.

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

poured with a nice caramel head and deep dark body. great roasted malts to it. lacking a little in the body for my liking, but overall a good beer.

3.77/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Black opaque, pours an aggressive head, two to three fingers thick. Beautiful mocha, deep tan color, very thick and frothy.
Aroma- Chocolates, some roasted malt, slight sweet bourbon notes. Wonderful vanilla creaminess, earthy, oaky notes as well. Aromas are not overwhelming, subtle yet enjoyable.
Taste- Chocolate and vanilla creaminess, slight roastiness. Sweet bourbon notes come through mid palate, complimented by earthy notes, some astringent oak pokes through as well.
Feel- Lighter to medium mouthfeel, creamy qualities help the body. High carbonation, overly carbonated to the point where it masks the flavors. Not sure if its this bottle/batch or the standard.
Overall- Enjoyable and balanced, the flavors and aromas in this beer are seemingly all subtle, but not necessarily in a bad way. Fairly easy drinker, but still flavorful. The bourbon/oak notes compliment the base beer well. The huge knock is the carbonation, it masks the flavors in a bad way. As the beer sits and warms the carbonation fades and is much more enjoyable.

I purchased a four pack of Heresy based on the description on the box. This beer has an awful hoppy sour taste. I have opened two and could not manage to drink more than half before pouring it down the drain. I really hate wasting pricey beer, but I cannot tolerate this stuff!
Looks like the bro-in-law is getting a couple of beers for xmas!

3.4/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Solid black, with a very large tan head, very rocky and quick to fade to a thin cap. Lacing is present.

S - Not so good. A band-aid element, along with wood and a bit of booze. Something seems off.

T - Missing most of the stout flavor notes I look for; not completely absent, but the volume for the chocolate and roast notes is turned way down. Leather and dark fruit are present, but I mainly pick up the alcohol from the barrel, a subtle sourness, and the oak.

M - Slick and coating, perhaps a bit thinner than I'd expect for a RIS.

O - Something did not quite gel here. There have been rumbling concerns of infection, but while there are off notes, particularly in the nose, this is not the issue. The barrel has not augmented the underlying beer, and the parts are less than the whole. A bit disappointing, but not the drain pour experience some have described.

2.08/5  rDev -47.1%

Drain pour for me...I don't love bourbon barrel beers but normally I can finish them. Just really, not enjoying this one. Drinks more like a mediocre sour than an Russian Imperial Stout. If it was the only beer I had in my fridge I could finish it...but for my one Tuesday night beer I'm dumping it and going for the Founders Breakfast Stout.

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

This beer pours a dark walnut body with a 3-finer tan head that retains for a few minutes leaving nice lacing. Lots of carbonation rushing up from the bottom which surprised me

Aroma of molasses and chocolate with a spicy alcohol in the nose. Some sweet vanilla as the beer warms more

Interesting tasting RIS. Would not have classified it as such in a blind taste test. A little sweet and sticky but light bodied. Not thick and roasty like I expected. Very high carbonation which I would nearly classify as effervescent. Chocolate malts with molasses and vanilla. The barrel comes through as the beer warms and you get a nice oaky flavor. Alcohol spices up the sweetness a little bit.

Not a bad beer but just wasn't great. Not what I was expecting in a whisky-barrel aged RIS.

2.5/5  rDev -36.4%

A. Dark brown appearance with a massive tan head of three fingers that ever so slowly recedes.
S. Dark malt, oak and a nasty note of excrement (sulfur?) - call it "poopy" smelling
T. Oak, whisky-like alcohol, some coffee. Not much else.
M. Thin and flat tasting.
O. The beer guy I buy from and trust recommended this stuff. I trust his palate but he missed on this beer big time. Nothing I want to drink again. May even end up dumping my other three bottles.

So an employee at a local shop recommended I buy this along with the old heathen and blind test each. This one in my opinion is good for sure but super different than the old heathen. I thought there would be subtle differences based on his recommendation. Anyways, I liked both of them but old heathen is definitely more my style. This thing was like a sour stout. It was super carbonated. I started noticing the barrel taste more and more as it warmed up. Interesting beer for sure, good, not my favorite but I did enjoy it.

What a disappointment. Bottled on 2/14 and I think it's also indicating a drink by date of 10/14. Similar to other reviews, there's just nothing here for me. Actually tasting more like a barrel aged sour than a stout. Thin, tart and simple. Not a good effort from Weyerbacher, which usually excells... Maybe it was a bad batch, but avoid the 2/14 bottling....

Heresy from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.