Insanity - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

InsanityInsanity

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English Barleywine |  11.10% ABV

A bourbon barrel-aged English-style Barleywine.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-21-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Insanity Alström Bros
Briclaff

05-05-2012 00:24:51 | More by Briclaff
RMentair

08-29-2014 16:04:27 | More by RMentair
thefuneral

07-19-2014 00:30:54 | More by thefuneral
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

05-03-2012 00:47:23 | More by

1.5/5  rDev -64%

08-10-2013 03:09:13 | More by Wufdogger
guinnessfan

1.53/5  rDev -63.3%

12 oz. bottle from a friend.

A: Clouded copper color,decent tan head, with some lacing, yet no retention.

S: Not much, sweet cherries maybe. Malt and some alcohol.

T: Lord help me...Cloyingly sweet, vanilla-ish, maple syrup-like flavored cheap vodka. Thats it!

M: Bitter alcohol sting...like a hornet sting inside my mouth. Weird vanilla aftertaste.

D: Umm...not really at all for me. It was a drain pour. Sorry.

I don't think I like the English barleywines. I would like to try their Twelve, though to compare.

12-17-2007 01:18:42 | More by guinnessfan

1.75/5  rDev -58%

02-15-2014 18:04:23 | More by Tdrmoss84
LilBeerDoctor

1.78/5  rDev -57.3%

Bottle. Pours a clear amber/brown with a small off-white head. Aroma of alcohol, sweet sweet malt, medicinal cough syrup. Flavor of sweet malt, raisins, and super booziness. Some oak flavors but really this is just a boozy, sweet, sticky mess. This is really nasty. More than a couple sips is too much for me...

07-11-2009 14:29:08 | More by LilBeerDoctor

12-08-2013 15:20:50 | More by Nrcost2
ThatsThatDude

02-07-2014 01:58:39 | More by ThatsThatDude
AltBock

22 oz. bomber bottle that has a cool label of a person freaking out in the doorway of a red/black room. Below the picture is the name of the beer in blood red letters. In between the picture and the name of the beer is a sentence you want to see on a beer bottle, "Ale aged in oak barrels." The only other things on the label is all the mandatory US information, like the Government warning. Weyerbacher doesn't date their bottles and this one is no different.

Appearance: I decided to pour this Weyerbacher beer into a Chimay Chalise. It seemed fitting for the style. What came out of the bottle and into the glass was a beer that is the same color and texture of swamp water. It was truly that murky. It looked so much like swamp water that I swear I saw a crocodile emerging from the beer. Sitting on top of this murky liquid was a white head of foam that was less than 1/2 inch in height. This head of foam quickly dissipated into a handful of white rings along the edge and a spot or two of white lace around the chalise.

Smell: "Insanity" was very fruity with a hint of toasted malts, a quick splash of charred oak, and tons of medicinal alcohol. To me, medicinal alcohol is something you can find in cough syrup and other liquid medicines that contain alcohol in them. Why it's in this beer is my question. It's OK to have alcohol in the aroma, but not medicinal alcohol. Sometimes the alcohol was so bad that it burned my nose and I had to quickly turn my head in disgust to get it out of my nose. Other times, it was fruity and that to me means that it was trying not to be boozy all the time.

Taste: The taste starts and ends with the same flavor, medicinal alcohol! I was honestly expecting more flavors to make an appearance, but instead I received one big taste of medicinal alcohol. I guess the taste wanted to be like the aroma. That's just sad! I did happen to notice a few flavors behind the alcohol, but they were all too tiny in size. Those tiny flavors I found were black cherries, oak, and bitter citrus hops. I would have loved to see each one of those flavors come out from the back and into the front, but the medicinal alcohol would have cut them down where they stood. I can understand why they didn't want to come out. If you can't tell already, the taste was just way too powerful with medicinal alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Yeah, it was a full bodied beer, but of course the aftertaste had to be filled with nothing but alcoholic medicine. Enough with the alcoholic medicine already! It got boring in the aroma.

Drinkability: You can probably tell already that I had hard time drinking this one. If there were more flavors than just medicinal alcohol, then it might have not been all that bad. In every aspect of this beer, the medicinal alcohol ruled over it like it was a dictator. I only take medicine when I'm sick, I shouldn't have to take it when I crack open a beer. I wouldn't touch this one again! If you're feeling sick, take 2 spoon fulls of "Insanity" and call the doctor in the morning.

05-25-2008 17:29:24 | More by AltBock
alysmith4

District of Columbia

05-01-2013 22:10:17 | More by alysmith4
MCain04

2.23/5  rDev -46.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a crooked stave snifter. looks like bottled 01/28/13.

Pours a murky swamp water brown with a thin off-white head which quickly dissipates leaving minimal retention and lacing.

Smell is sweet with candied malts, toffee, almost fruity, vanilla, not too much bourbon.

Taste is off. There's a tart acidity to this which overpowers most of the other flavor profiles. Fruity esters. Not typical for the style and I don't think it's what they were going for.

Mouthfeel is overcarbonated and astringent. Numbs the tongue.

Overall, I received this as an extra and likely got a cellar turd. Drain poured after the first ounce. Hope it's just a bad bottle/batch, as I can't imagine this beer being intentionally produced to taste like this.

11-24-2013 00:45:53 | More by MCain04

12-30-2011 00:15:17 | More by cmiley123
JackStraw22

2.53/5  rDev -39.3%

22oz. bomber, no date.

Appearance: cloudy, dark amber/orange. ok head, not much retention.

Smell: Sweet, cherry aromas. Lots of malt. Alcohol is definately present.

Taste: Holy crap that's intense! I don't really dig it, but it's intense. Huge vanilla aftertaste. I like vanilla, but this seems a bit too much, it's all I can focus on at the end. Alcohol is quite powerful and harsh. Nothing seems blended here, it feels like five different loud guitars all playing different songs. Sugary sweet as well.

I just couldn't enjoy this, and for $8, it might not be worth a try.

07-31-2005 23:45:56 | More by JackStraw22
rdilauro

Connecticut

2.6/5  rDev -37.6%

I admit I am not a fan of barley style of beers. Once I opened this one, I knew it wasnt going to be any different. The pour was dark and uneventful.
The first sip was over the top... Too much, too much of something, malt, barley, grapefruit.
I am sure this is a beer for some, but really not for me

02-17-2011 20:30:06 | More by rdilauro
JamesShoemaker

2.63/5  rDev -36.9%

12 oz bottle poured into my new flute glass. Thanks Andrew!

A - gross. The sediment in this beer became really active when I poured it out. It looks like there are skin cells floating around in there; does not dissipate. No head, obvious carbonation.

S - there's not much to the smell except the sweeter barley character. I'm beginning to realize that I don't care for hopless BWs.

T - blech. I wanted to drain pour this one from the get-go. Unfortunately I had just drain poured a skunked Fat Dog, so I powered through the Insanity. This BW is so artificially sweet, I really, really detest it. The only good thing is that the alcohol is hidden, and rather high, so it's not a total waste.

M - not bad. The taste doesn't linger, which is good in this case, and it feels less syrupy than expected.

O - I've had two Weyerbacher beers so far (this one and Blithering Idiot). Their BWs are really bad, IMO; I'll try the Simcoe, but if that flops I think I'm done with Weyerbacher.

11-01-2012 16:04:23 | More by JamesShoemaker
harrymel

Washington

2.65/5  rDev -36.5%

Bottled Jan, 2013
Thanks William!
Brown cherry ale with near excellent clarity and a shredded sheet of tan foam. Smells like artificial cherry juice, sweet nougat, some alcohol, a little oak and vanilla with light malt, some bread - meh. Quite sweet with a cloying aftermath of cherry again. Some more alcohol and a touch of oak and vanilla. Medium over thin with moderate carb and a cloying finish - really sweet for a long time: makes me want salty chips. I'm glad to have tried this, but glad not to have actually worked for it.

04-07-2013 07:16:02 | More by harrymel
oregonskibum

Oregon

2.7/5  rDev -35.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a brandy snifter glass.

A: Color is a dark burnt amber, bordering on brown. Pours with almost no head. What little head disappears almost immediately. Appears flat. No carbonation with just a thin ring around the edge of the glass.

S: Sweet toffee, butterscotch, caramal. Picking up on the wood notes. Some raisins and maybe a faint note of vanilla.

T: Big sweet notes continue. More butterscotch and toffee, mixed in with a stronger oak/wood presence. Heat kicks in mid taste and really starts to warm towards the end. Continue to get some raisin notes with other dark fruits.

M: A touch on the big side; comes across as a little syrupy. Carbonation is low to non-existant.

D: I'm not a huge BW drinker, so don't have the width of experience to really say this is 'bad', but this certainly doesn't stand out as a great example of the style. The residual sweetness really detracts from the beer, masking some of the other flavors that would have made this a decent beer.

05-10-2010 04:18:41 | More by oregonskibum
Insanity from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.