Prophecy - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

ProphecyProphecy

good

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.30% ABV

Merry Monk's Abbey Ale aged in Bourbon Barrels.

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 05-07-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prophecy Alström Bros
1.9/5  rDev -47.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

1PT 6 FL. OZS.
No date

Appearance – very clear (minus the moderate presence of fine particulates) straw/light gold body; 1-finger thick white head breaks down quickly; steady light stream of rising carbonation; lace is non-existent; halfway through the glass, there was a nearly lifeless fluid remaining; a second pour was dropped dead center into the middle of the glass with very low carbonation exhibited

Smell – brut champagne; bourbon; candy; vanilla; really not what I expected but it’s the best portion of the experience

Taste – hyper fruity sweet; too tangy; vanilla; touch of butterscotch; oak does come through but the full package isn’t anywhere near as strong as the oak barrel its aged in

Mouthfeel – a bit less than moderate body; most lively around the edges of the tongue; Sahara dry and tacky at the back of the throat

Drinkability – nearly unpalatable

I usually try another sample to seal a negative deal but this isn’t one for which I have faith to retry.

1.93/5  rDev -46.8%

I've had this one for a while, but figured it would hold up okay. I've had this for almost two years now that I think about it.

Pale orange with a bit of haze. Lots of carbonation rises to the stop. Fizzy white head on the pour that reduced to a really thin layer.

A sour smell dominates the aroma to me. It has some wood tones that come out as well as some musty aromas and some acidic sherry notes (as one reviewer said...like a cheap white wine...and I agree). Not the typical tripel smell to me. Lots of alcohol too...some of it quite fusel and some a bit floral.

Flavor...ughh. I'm really having issues with this one. It has some tripel like qualities but its minimal. It has none of that spiciness or Belgian twang I expected. Has some Belgian yeastiness that comes in with the light malting. Fleeting light colored fruits. Again, a bit acidic and a touch sour. Not appetizing at all.

Mouthfeel is medium, actually has some creaminess to it. Finishes a bit dry. Lacks carbonation to add to the crispness I would expect.

Drinkability...no thanks. Flavor is tough to get past. Either this one wasn't that good to start with or age really got to it...or both...I'll see how much more I can take.

2.05/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - It looks like a slightly cloudy macro lager. Pours up a large frothy head that dissipates quickly with no lacing.

S - Very strong vinous, oak and citrus nose. A slight smoky character. A light like a white wine that had been stored on it's cork. Strongly buttery.

T - This tastes like wood. Buttery wood. There is a white wine and citrus flavor. It hs a wierd sourness and a woody, buttery aftertaste. It is pretty bad. I'm not used to drinking wood.

M - Carbonation stings the tongue but the buttery feel makes it quite smooth and viscous. It is moderately refreshing.

D - Considering the taste, not too bad in this category. I don't like Merry Monks, and I thought that aging it might refine it's taste and cultivate some character. The reality is that even the power of oak barrels can't save Merry Monks. This would go as well with foods as it goes without foods. Dank is a good word to describe it. I do admit that it is strangely addictive. I wanted to have more wood flavor after consumption. I think I won't seek this out every again. Even though this was a huge disappointment, I hope that Weyerbacher keeps with the oak aging (Decadence) since it makes for interesting flavors.

2.13/5  rDev -41.3%

Appearance: A very nice golden translucent color, the head was more pils-like ephemerous but with a little bit of cling.

Smell: Incredibly oaky and boozy, the alcohols had an acidic touch that I wasn't too crazy about, it reminded me of a really cheap reisling or any other dry white wine that comes in a box or something.

Taste: Poor, poor Beer, the oak just stole your soul. Absolutely no malt profile or body whatsoever, it was just pure 2X4 juice, with maybe a little raisin or sour crabapple, but mostly just wood and an acidic finish that also made me think of cheap wine. I've been shot down a few times by friends when I say that oak barrel aging is often useless and over rated, I should keep a bottle of Prophecy and make them try it just to prove to them that I'm right.

2.25/5  rDev -38%

A: I suppose what cantelope juice would look like with loads of bubbles streaming to the surface. Head is poor, some wisps around the top but the ring is solid off white.

S: Woody with tutti fruitti, some vanilla, dandelion and minor citrus.

T: Begins some what caramely with oak notes. Moves towards over the top juicy fruit...ridiculously sweet. WAY too much sugar added to this beer. I can't taste anything else.

M: Medium and decent but I can't get over the sweetness.

D: Horrible. This is getting dumped.

2.4/5  rDev -33.9%

22oz bottle purchased probably from Julio's, Westboro, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 1" eggshell head above the clear, light golden brew. Head lasts well, with foamy lacing, both unusual for a barrel-aged brew. Aroma is spicy malt sweetness. Taste is upfront with almost sickly sweetness, which is quickly overpowered by strong citric sour, closing with strong, blatant alcohol. Flavor simply kills mouthfeel and drinkability for me. Not sure if I will get through the whole bottle here.

2.45/5  rDev -32.5%

pours out golden yellow with a very fizzy head that dissipates quickly leaving nothing but yellow liquid.
aroma is big vanilla and oak with some slight fruitiness.
taste was chardonay, plain and simple. It had the same taste profile and alcohol burn that wine gives. Was this beer or wine? I could have bought a bottle of chardonay and gotten the same thing. I haven't been overly impressed with any of this breweries oak aged beers but this one i really did not enjoy so much. If you like chardonay you'll love this beer.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

A: The Profit poured a hazy yellow with a rapid forming white head. But, as fast as the head came, it went and left nothing.

A: Fruit, yeast and alcohol is all I can make out. After it warms vanilla and a touch of citrus come into play

T: Taste is the Merry Monks with a slight kick to it. A bit sweet and fruity leaving a slightly dry bitter finish.

M/D Mouthfeel is smooth and sort of lifeless nothing to brag about. Drinkability is a bit low. This beer didn’t (IMHO) show its true potential. The Insanity and Heresy are outstanding when they aged them. This one falls a bit short. Maybe some time in the cellar?

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

2.55/5  rDev -29.8%

What a mess.

Nice hazy straw/light gold with nice bubbly head and lacing to match.

Some sweet, honeyed fruit, almost a grape (chard?) aroma with a little astringency/acid. Faintest whisps of oak. Interesting, but confusing, and not as immediately appealing as the complexity would typically induce.

The taste? I think I hate it. At least, at first. A lot of sour astringency and waaay too much oak. There's a crazy sweetness up front that disappears but rears its head in a sickly aftertaste. Ugh.

So why not a 1? Well, as it warms and my palate adapts to the sour and the oak it does develop its own peculiar drinkability, and although I think the "mix" of flavors here is just off, there's a lot to work through. Various fruits (apple/cider pops up) and each sip just a shade different... it would be fun if it wasn't such a chore.

I will certainly revisit someday, particularly since it seems to show hints of the "wild" beers and sourness of lambics and flemish reds and all sorts of other beers that I've read about and not tasted, and perhaps someday I'll find that it was really me that was off.

But until that day... I'll be happily avoiding this, with the caveat that I might be wrong.

2.6/5  rDev -28.4%

The beer poured into the chalice slightly hazy pale golden with a white and very low head which did last for an instant.

The aroma was very similar to that of Decadence in the earthy funky aromatic department. The aroma contained a lightly vegetal aroma and some light spice.

The flavor was sweet, but saccharine sweet with a sourness and spice. The flavor contained a slight vanilla and a strong diacetyl flavor. The spice was light and the entire flavor profile was not well done at all.

The finish was just almost dry with a lasting saccharine into the finish with diacetyl. The body was medium or just a bit more. This beer was not well done at all. If this is what oak does to a beer, skip the oak and perhaps the beer.

22 ounce bottle, $6.75 at Bon Vivant in Smithfield, VA.

2.6/5  rDev -28.4%

Slightly tarnished gold body, topped by a level slab of foam that qucikly goes from a half inch to just a table top. Fairly bursting with carbonation.

Nose is overrun by the vanilla and oak from the barrell, but a deep second sniff does reveal some candy sweetness from the Mad Monk lurking below. It basically smells dangerous though.

A quick initial surge of somewhat "deep" bittersweet malt, but it quickly turns far too sweet, with a strong candy finish and no real hop sensation at all. Not picking up any real solid hits of oak or vanilla either. Slight sourness. Nowhere near as complex as I had expected. Some vanilla/oak in the aftertaste.

Good mouthfeel, not syrupy.

Disappointing. I love Heresy and like Insanity, and thought the barrel aging would have a good effect on Mad Monk, but I'll pass on this one in the future.

2.65/5  rDev -27%

Seriously disappointing. Big lemony taste makes some summer beers look like stouts. Very light in its appearance, very macro lager like. Does have some Belgium clone characteristics, but overall its smell release is week. Taste is repulsive. Very soapy, mixed in with hints of Pledge. I am not entirely sure what they are trying do to with this one, but it's not good.

2.65/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I forsee the bottom of the glass. Prophecy has a hazy dark yellow to amber color with a limited head retention and no lacing.

Smell is strong in phenols. A big wine like smell, such as what a white wine would give off. The nose is strong and other sweeter fruit esters are noticeable. Some apples and grapes. There are some stronger spices as well, somewhat of a vanilla sherbet aroma.

The taste is very sweet and somewhat sour. Very much like a lambic. Really this reminds me of a white wine with some malt backing. The malt is overall light and really not noticeable. But what is noticeable is the vanilla flavoring and the taste of oak. Like dipping a cork screw in ice cream and chewing on that for a while. The spices are lighter and really there is nothing else to notice.

The beer has a dry quality, making me think it is closer to a white wine then anything.

The carbonation is very light. As is the body. So overall its not something you have everyday, but it’s a new experience. And what do you know, I was right. Behold the bottom of the glass.

2.65/5  rDev -27%

Well this one was quite a suprise. I'm not the biggest fan of this brewery, all of my beer buddies know that by now. I understand why many people like them though, and they are a solid brewery who do produce some very good brews on ocassion. Anyways, i've liked all of their "oaked" brews very much so far. Heresy was killer, and Insanity was awesome as well. Than again, I really like those base beers as well, and i'm not a big fan of Merry Monks. It always came across as cloyingly sweet to me, and this brew is similar to that. Anyway. Prophecy is a beautiful looking brew. A deep dark golden colour with a huge head of off-white foam that lasts and leaves excellent lacing. Retention is great as well. However the aroma is scary to me. It's totally one-dimensional sweet hot alcohol and oak. Thaat's about it. Taste floows suit with super sweet Belgian malts which are cloying and again a super sweet hot alcoholic oak flavor, with maybe a hint of vanilla in it as well. This is just WAY too sweet and oaky for me, instead of mellowing this harsh brew out, it just increased the harshness! Mouthfeel is good, slick and medium bodied, but drinkability is rough as this one just didn't do it for me at all! Not too good, but hey worth a shot...

2.68/5  rDev -26.2%

This pours a golden color with a giant head. There is a ton of carbonation in this beer and it's a good looking beer. The smell is strong and unusual. I swear I can smell apples in this beer. There is also a sweet candy sugar and bourban aroma to it. The taste is as weird as the smell. The sweet candy sugar and bourban doesn't mix at all with the strange apple flavors. The aftertaste is abit mettalic leaving this beer as a big disappointment. i won't buy this again and the only really good thing I can say about it is that it looks good and the high alcohol content doesn't come out in the flavor.

2.68/5  rDev -26.2%

12 oz bottle, no freshness date

Is this supposed to be a sour/tart beer?

Poured a golden color with a white frothy head that went to a thick ring and laced nicely.

Smell has a soured aroma with oak in the background.

Taste was, well, sour. I am not sure if this brew was infected or supposed to taste like this. I am not at all a fan of sour beers, and this one certainly tasted off to me. I could note some oak/wood flavors in the background, but i felt like i was drinking a beer with a piece of sour candy in my mouth at the same time.

Mouthfeel was light and carbonated, especially for a triple, the 9% was well hidden.

I cant drink this because of the tart/sour flavor. perhaps my bottle was infected, i have no idea. I didnt notice on any other reviews that there was a tart character to it. Ill try it again if one shows up at my door, but i will nto seek another one out.

2.73/5  rDev -24.8%

What a bitter, acidic, vinegary mess. I think this bottle might have gone bad but I was assured it had recently come in. It looks fine, cloudy, hazy orange with a nice white head. Smells sweet and complex, fruity and slightly sugary. The taste is awful, there is some sweetness but it is overpowered by a biting bitterness. Almost astringent. The rest is going down the drain.

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

22oz bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = slightly hazy pale golden straw with 1/2'' that fades quickly.

Smell = vanilla and amaretto extract, with a grape like fruit that's sour and reminescent of wine. Bananna and coconut flavors are also there. Alcohol content is definitely noticable. Smells almost like a pina colata mixed with wine. Not great but it's complex and I admire that.

Taste = Initial flavors aren't bad but turn sour (literally)..way too sour. Ugh..the sourness really ruins the flavor here. It's overwhelming and drowns out everything else. Initially, it's a sweet, fruity taste with grape, bananna, and coconut matching the smell.

Overall = Hides the alcohol well in the taste which bumps up the drinkability to average. I still was not impressed with the taste and have had much better triples. It's not terrible but I'll certainly look elsewhere if I want a good Tripel. So far I've been pretty disappointed with Weyerbacher.

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours a light dull gold with very little head and some active carbonation. Aroma is hot with alcohol, more like a spirit than any beer elements, no finesse at all.

Taste is light grains, some very faint citrus and more alcohol. Some light honey, some floral and medicinal elements. Smooths out a little as it warms, not really any detectable oak (label says "Aged in Oak Barrels"), finishes with a little sweet and sour combo. Did I mention the alcohol?

Mouthfeel is light but slick. Balance is all out of whack, not bad flavors but too much alcoholic presence that gets in the way. Borders on schnapps territory more than a tripel.

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a translucent dirty golden hue with white, frothy lacing and a collar of foam. The aroma doesn't have a whole lot of tripel characteristics, mostly just some light pear fruit notes; a greater part of the nose seems to come from the barrel aging (woody vanilla). But there's also an unpleasant vegetal/popcorn note to the aroma that detracts quite a bit. On the palate, that unpleasant note is the first one to come out, and it gains an oilyness toward the mid-palate. The taste starts and stays cloyingly sweet. Not good. Mouthfeel is typical for the style. It's got light carbonation for a Belgian and a slick, sugary mouthfeel that I associate with barrel aging. Overall, this is a beer that, to me, probably shouldn't have been barrel aged. The barrel doesn't do any good here; it's arguable, but it might be part of the problem with the unpleasant flavors I described. There are some nice barrel aged tripels out there, but this isn't one of them.

2.88/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours a bland yellow color creamy white head that shows decent retention and some sine waves of lacing. The smell offers an onslaught of honey, lemon, malt, and plenty of oak.

The taste consists of lemon zest, honey, sweet malt, woody oak, cloven spice, and then is knocked off-balanced by this waxy dish-soap characteristic, followed by a burst of none too subtle alcohol--though this is to be expected with a 9.3.

The mouth seems a bit overwhelmed with sugar and under carbonated. It's just seems a bit out of whack overall. I was hoping for a lot more out of an oak aged ale.

2.88/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks like a slightly hazy dull brass and light lemon. The is a lovely field of bubbles rising up from the bottom sustaining a thin film of white while revealing the beers viscosity.

Smells of egg whites, marshmallow and taffy that’s backed by a very obvious, not-so-well blended bourbon that releases little bits of caramel, spiced rum and other sweet liquors. The alcohol sting is present, but well masked.

The flavor keeps reminding me of toxic malt liquor with a big, raw, grainy base and tons of booze. I can sense the presence of Merry Monks, but the raw bourbon boooziness just crushes its original delicacy. What comes through is a dry white flour and caramel base that picks up some banana and a nearly gasoline alcohol burn.

Feels thick and a little dense with a slight easy carbonation that fights its way through the body.

My other bottle will sit in my cellar for a year in the hopes that things get better. I’m going to have to put this one in the “un-drinkable” category for now.

2.9/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a thin head that quickly diminishes. The aroma was abundant sweet malts, oak, coriander, spice, and yeast. The taste is a huge letdown after the promising aroma. An overbearing sourness masks all other flavors to the point of being almost undetectable, even the oak. The beer is medium bodied with present alcohol. I have to hope that I had an infected bottle and the beer is supposed to taste better. I don't know, and I likely won't purchase another one to find out.

2.95/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy peach colour, fairly light, with just a wisp of whitish bubbles coating the surface and clinging to the edges. Lacing was present, but short-lived and consisting of a few very small spots here and there. The aroma was a combination of tropical fruit (think pineapple) with tired oak barrels, that gave it a mild oaky, vanilla character. Flavour was more of the same, quite fruity with a weak oak barrel quality. Slight diacetyl with a bit of vanilla. Lightish body and carbonation, decent texture. Nothing terribly wrong here, this just didn't work well for me. The barrel character seemed sort of lame and weak, more of a background trait rather than an integral part of the brew.

Prophecy from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.