1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Prophecy - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

ProphecyProphecy

good

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.30% ABV

Merry Monk's Abbey Ale aged in Bourbon Barrels.

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 05-07-2005)
View: Beers (47) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prophecy Alström Bros
Ratings: 164 | Reviews: 145 | Show All Ratings:
Slatetank

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation - a brown 12oz bottle w/o freshness date decanted cool into a La fin du Monde glass.
A - A slightly hazed amber w/ sediment that quickly falls out. The sediment looks like grains of paradise and the head measures about 2 fingers, but falls quickly to about a 1/4 of an inch. The head really doesn't create much lace.

S - Deep woody vinous aromas w/ plenty of alcohol in the nose and a bit of spice.

M - Tannic, citrus melds w/ an intense husky woody alcoholic warmth. Full feeling, round malt texture w/ a resinous slightly astringent texture.

T - The flavor of wood aged belgian ale has a peaty smell and malty booze tinged taste. The citrusy elements w/ yeast spiciness seem very upfront in the flavor. Rich and different w/ a slight scotch dry flavor. The taste is light for a 9% beer even though there is alcohol in the flavor. The wood is a slightly more dominant flavor than I would prefer, but not unpleasant, just too much in the forefront.

D - A dry and woody Tripel, above average drinkability. It kept me interested, I am just not sure it accomplishes what it aims for. The beer tastes like it has some age on it, but no way to tell w/out a freshness date.

===Edit===

A bottle of prophecy cellared for 7 months.
A-3.5 S-4.5 M-3.5 T-4 D-4
I am convinced now these ales are designed for aging. Poured at cellar temp into my La Fin Du Monde tulip.
A - Dirty golden w/ speckles of yeast and a fine bead that comprises a very thin head

S - Subtle candied pear and caramel banana w/ hints of date and sugar.

M - Very fruity, sweet and honey-like w/ a moderately high carbonation level w/ spiced and woody textures.

T - Luscious candied fruit w/ vanilla and tropical fruit flavors like papaya and mango w/ tinges of herbal hops and nuty wheaty tastes. Banana and boozy creamy flavors w/ a peppery coriander spiced flavor. The oak like pure vanilla bean and there are slight vinous notes from the yeast w/ green apple flavors in the spicy finish.

D - A fine oak aged beer w/ over 6 months on it has subtle booziness and the yeast is more supple in the mouthfeel. Very fine could even benefit from more aging possibly, I wish I had cellared a case.

09-24-2007 18:02:44 | More by Slatetank
smurphy77

4.45/5  rDev +22.6%

This beer pours a golden color with a hazy, chunky precipitate visible. The head was practically gone by the time I put the glass down on the counter. Aromas are surprisingly non-existent. Surprisingly, because this is one super fruity sweet tasting beer.

No bitterness. No aftertaste. Barely any carbonation. Just morsels of peach and pear and pineapple and papaya. Such a nice light mouthfeel to this one, wihout any apparent stickiness. Not a hint of the high alcohol lurking beneath.

Had this one with danish bleu cheese. Very refreshing.

08-27-2007 23:45:43 | More by smurphy77
DrJay

2.95/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy peach colour, fairly light, with just a wisp of whitish bubbles coating the surface and clinging to the edges. Lacing was present, but short-lived and consisting of a few very small spots here and there. The aroma was a combination of tropical fruit (think pineapple) with tired oak barrels, that gave it a mild oaky, vanilla character. Flavour was more of the same, quite fruity with a weak oak barrel quality. Slight diacetyl with a bit of vanilla. Lightish body and carbonation, decent texture. Nothing terribly wrong here, this just didn't work well for me. The barrel character seemed sort of lame and weak, more of a background trait rather than an integral part of the brew.

08-26-2007 04:44:00 | More by DrJay
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Big thanks to my homie DrJay for sending this my way via BC2!

Pours a slightly hazy amber/yellow, kind of halfway in between, one finger white head forms, settles down quickly, minimal lacing, thin ring. Smell is sweet, fruity, pineapple/apple, bourbon and oaky vanilla, fusel alcohol, caramel, more pineapple. Taste is very sweet, caramel, pineapple again, oak, vanilla, bread, fruit, alcohol, pretty basic, agree with previous reviews that its not very focused. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation, heat going down. Smell kind of threw me off, the the taste is not too bad. Thanks Jay!

08-26-2007 04:13:55 | More by Viggo
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

3.03/5  rDev -16.5%

funny how it goes sometimes. I had this and merry monks in the cellar courtesy of the ceo bif and beerbeing. Not knowing this was the barrel aged version of the other I decided to try this one first.

A - cloudy amber / brown color with a small white head that quickly dissipates
S - a tart boozy aroma with a hint of fruity malts underneath.
T - definitely a noticeable tart note through this brew. light belgian malt feel interspersed with a sweet sugar note and a hint of oakiness.
M - medium bodied, solid carbonation, tart and boozy.
D - one 12 oz was enough for me.

I left this one thinking it's being pulled 3 ways for a direction and it's not quite there on any of them.

08-14-2007 17:54:30 | More by barleywinebrewer
jdollar

3.15/5  rDev -13.2%

22 oz bomber poured into a slender snifter type glass, which allows for a couple fingers of head even with a slow pour. a soft and rich golden color with a good amount of sediment.

the nose made me wonder if i was drinking a hard cider, apple was the most dominant aroma for me. this was followed by other crisp fruit aromas.

taste is quite sweet. i think a lot of sweetness comes from the suggestion of fruity flavors, but of course the malt has its own important role as well. the oak aging adds some interesting aromas and tastes, i get a touch of vanilla. the carbonation is light and crisp. it makes for a nice mouthfeel although the sweetness can be a bit dominant. i am impressed with the drinkability of it though at over 9% abv.

not my favorite tripel by far, but an interesting interpretation. the oak aging adds some great characteristics, i just wish the sweetness was not so dominant and cloying. this is the first weyerbacher beer i've tried...and altough I most likely wont be buying it again, it probably will get me to try another of their offerings soon.

07-21-2007 02:57:08 | More by jdollar
ClassicBrad

4.03/5  rDev +11%

My first taste from the Weyerbacher brewery and I'm very pleased. I've partied a number of time in the Lafeyette area of Easton, PA in my swill swallowing days but never bothered to check out their brews. I served this tripel into my Chimay goblet.

The appearance is pretty unique for a Tripel. A burnt peach body with a struggling layer of head. Lacing is futile.

A very intriguing nose with combinations of a traditional Belgium yeast and a tart fruitiness.

The taste provides sour tartness and suggestions of sour fruit candies.

Mouthfeel provides beautiful carbonation and some serious alcohol heat.

Drinkability is moderate for a 9.3% ABV beverage. If it weren't midnight and this wasn't one of only two beers, I'd be inclined to crack one more open... but only one more...

07-17-2007 04:12:22 | More by ClassicBrad
ccrida

Oregon

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

From a 22oz bomber into a shaker pint, Prophecy is a macro larger colored clear yellow with a creamy, moderately thick head that leaves sticky lace.

The arom is fairly dull, mostly grainy, a surprise since this a barrel aged trippel. It got sweeter as it warmed, but only moderately so.

From the first sip, wow, there's all that complexity I was expecting in the nose, predominantly a strong vanilla and bourbon taste, with some yeasty spice. Smooth and strong, the finish is boozy and dry, but sweetens somewhat as it warms. I really dig the vanilla here, very nice, but a touch hot. Wish I had another for the cellar to let that mellow, but I can't get it here and didn't bring an extra home.

The mouthfeel is fantastic, light, creamy and luscious.

This was very drinkable to me, a big complex beer that is tough to decipher. However, a few people I was with, some general beer enthusiasts but not geeks, some generic beer drinks, found it to be too much. Too bad for them!

07-04-2007 20:46:37 | More by ccrida
DarkerTheBetter

2.88/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks like a slightly hazy dull brass and light lemon. The is a lovely field of bubbles rising up from the bottom sustaining a thin film of white while revealing the beers viscosity.

Smells of egg whites, marshmallow and taffy that’s backed by a very obvious, not-so-well blended bourbon that releases little bits of caramel, spiced rum and other sweet liquors. The alcohol sting is present, but well masked.

The flavor keeps reminding me of toxic malt liquor with a big, raw, grainy base and tons of booze. I can sense the presence of Merry Monks, but the raw bourbon boooziness just crushes its original delicacy. What comes through is a dry white flour and caramel base that picks up some banana and a nearly gasoline alcohol burn.

Feels thick and a little dense with a slight easy carbonation that fights its way through the body.

My other bottle will sit in my cellar for a year in the hopes that things get better. I’m going to have to put this one in the “un-drinkable” category for now.

05-25-2007 20:57:11 | More by DarkerTheBetter
RedChrome

Connecticut

3.18/5  rDev -12.4%

A hazy bright golden colored body. Pure white third of an inch head quickly faded to leave a skin on top. The light amount of carbonation is tiny meandering bubbles. Lacing is thin sticky clumps.

Very light fruit aroma with nothing particularly grabbing the scent. More like a light fruit salad blend then anything specific. A hint of a wood note from the barrel aging is faint.

Same blended light fruit presence carries over into the taste. There is a definite flavor of vanilla. Alcohol was present but did not overpower any of the other flavors.

Quite easy on the tongue. Smooth but strong enough to cling slightly. Only a slightly noticeable carbonation burst.

Decent offering. This one would be a nice choice for a light seafood dinner. A nice offering with an alcohol presence that is alluring to introduce someone to the style, but still needs to divert to some of the trappist offerings.

05-12-2007 07:19:44 | More by RedChrome
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

Polished lemon with a generous amount of sparkling carbonation. A somewhat gentle pour produces a compact crown of alabaster foam that, although it doesn't look bad, is light years away from the masterpieces that sit atop many Belgian tripels. A dearth of lace doesn't help the appearance.

The nose is acceptable for a domestic tripel. It's both musky and fruity, like the peel on a ripe pear as opposed to the pear itself. There's also a hint of clove spiciness (no more than a hint) and an almost completely buried alcohol presence. Since the beer has spent time in bourbon barrels, would it be too much to ask for it to smell like bourbon? Apparently.

Actually, Prophecy is pretty good. I'll stop comparing it to the world's best versions (since there is no comparison) and will attempt to judge it alongside the typical American-brewed tripel. For those who are unaware, this another one of those *new* Weyerbacher offerings that are simply one of their standards (Merry Monks' Ale in this case) aged in bourbon barrels.

The beer is boozily fruity, although boozy in a good way. Time has allowed the alcohol to mellow to a considerable extent. I'm sure I've had this bomber in my cellar for more than a year and maybe close to two. It's sweet and tangy fruity (pears and apples) with a spicy Belgian yeastiness that's impressing me more and more as the beer warms.

Unfortunately, there isn't as much bourbon or as much oak as I'd hoped for. There's a minor splash of vanilla and a subtle charred woodiness on the finish that I wish was tripled at least. If a brewery is going to rename and repackage a beer simply on the basis of oak barrel aging, they need to make sure the barrel changes it sufficiently. I'm not sure that it has in this case.

I thought the mouthfeel was good right out of the chute and it has done nothing but improve with time and warming. I love the fact that its slick stickiness is tempered by a still boisterous amount of carbonation. All those bubbles attempt scrub the malt sugars (and candi sugar?) off the mouth and tongue with each mouthful. Thankfully, they aren't quite up to the task.

Prophecy is worth the $6.99 that I spent for the bomber. I wish the brewers would have allowed it to spend more quality time in the oak, but I'm pretty happy with it as is. It ain't Tripel Karmeliet, but then what is? Weyerbacher has given us a credible version of the tripel style, domestically speaking, and should be commended. I can see myself buying this one again.

04-04-2007 21:32:34 | More by BuckeyeNation
dacrza1

3.7/5  rDev +1.9%

22 oz. after a full teaching week (8:30 pm Friday)...Tawny, human yellowish golden hue, a flatlining head and alcohol aroma to begin... a hit-and-run taste, strident yet agreeable. I won’t confuse this with Duvel, no insult to the Penna brew. I’m thinking Eric Stoltz/Christopher Walken as I drink this... but neither of them have this bourbony aftertaste, so I’ll continue. Cream hints and more alcohol to the finish... worthwhile.

03-25-2007 04:03:19 | More by dacrza1
crwills

Ontario (Canada)

3.78/5  rDev +4.1%

Can't remember where this came from, although I think I got it quite a while ago at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo. Could have been from a store in NJ.

Anyway... poured orangey gold with a big fluffy white head. Surprisingly for the style (and character of this beer), it faded slowly but without lacing. High carbonation may be the cause of this.

Aroma is candy sugar, banana, vanilla, and sweet liqueur. The alcohol is present right from the start.

Taste is a little bit on the sour side, with that banana element coming on very strong. More vanilla and ear-warming alcohol, and a little bit of smoke or peat and wet earth that give it some dimension.

Mouthfeel is the only real let-down here -- a bit watery, and overly carbonated for the style. As it warms up, the alcohol comes more and more to the surface and really gives this beefed up tripel some kick.

I liked this Weyerbacher offering (as I usually do).

03-18-2007 14:28:22 | More by crwills
SilentSabre

North Dakota

This was pretty average all the way around. Poured a slightly cloudy yellow/orange colour with a white head. Poor lace. Smelled a little like a hefeweizen with a bit of cooked fruit hiding in the back, and an even harder to detect metallic smell that was very faint. Taste was sweetness / cereals, alcohol, some bitterness, and then a mildly sweet finish. Mouthfeel was very average for the style. At 9,3% I don't know how much of this I could drink. Not a bad beer, and not a bad tripel, but there are much, much better ones out there.

03-11-2007 21:41:47 | More by SilentSabre
BuckSpin

Maine

3.4/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: 11oz bottle in a small snifter

Nose is almost white wine like, chardonnay grapes, even a little champagne sweetness, a lite floral quality, crisp, dry. Fruits like fig, pear are present.

Its very effervescent, pouring crisp, loud, strong bubbling laces the glass innards with a pinky's worth of dull, pale lemon-white loose foam that danced, then faded quickly to a lite film. A warm, slightly orangish-gold in hue, its murky and cloudy.

This is an odd take on a Tripel. The strong white wine grape, and sweet at that, is very strong up front. Its dry, a little sugary but in no way syrupy, with a quirky sour dullness (perhaps the oak barrels?) balancing the otherwise winelike sweetness. It does bitter some on the pallete, then finishes with a slight rush as the alcohol rises up and is noticed, warming the throat & mouth with a bittersweet quality that finishes relatively clean, leaving a sight chewiness in the mouth.

I can say its different, and definitely a unique interpretation of the genre, but I'm not buying what they are trying to sell my tastebuds. It seems confused, without a focus. This may actually be a good beer to introduce to friends who like sweet white wines. I could see it being better as a warmer weather beer. If offered, I'd drink another but I won't be buying any of this anytime. If you are looking for a Tripel, go somewhere else.

02-22-2007 01:58:47 | More by BuckSpin
blitz134

1.93/5  rDev -46.8%

I've had this one for a while, but figured it would hold up okay. I've had this for almost two years now that I think about it.

Pale orange with a bit of haze. Lots of carbonation rises to the stop. Fizzy white head on the pour that reduced to a really thin layer.

A sour smell dominates the aroma to me. It has some wood tones that come out as well as some musty aromas and some acidic sherry notes (as one reviewer said...like a cheap white wine...and I agree). Not the typical tripel smell to me. Lots of alcohol too...some of it quite fusel and some a bit floral.

Flavor...ughh. I'm really having issues with this one. It has some tripel like qualities but its minimal. It has none of that spiciness or Belgian twang I expected. Has some Belgian yeastiness that comes in with the light malting. Fleeting light colored fruits. Again, a bit acidic and a touch sour. Not appetizing at all.

Mouthfeel is medium, actually has some creaminess to it. Finishes a bit dry. Lacks carbonation to add to the crispness I would expect.

Drinkability...no thanks. Flavor is tough to get past. Either this one wasn't that good to start with or age really got to it...or both...I'll see how much more I can take.

02-13-2007 04:19:14 | More by blitz134
geexploitation

Indiana

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a translucent dirty golden hue with white, frothy lacing and a collar of foam. The aroma doesn't have a whole lot of tripel characteristics, mostly just some light pear fruit notes; a greater part of the nose seems to come from the barrel aging (woody vanilla). But there's also an unpleasant vegetal/popcorn note to the aroma that detracts quite a bit. On the palate, that unpleasant note is the first one to come out, and it gains an oilyness toward the mid-palate. The taste starts and stays cloyingly sweet. Not good. Mouthfeel is typical for the style. It's got light carbonation for a Belgian and a slick, sugary mouthfeel that I associate with barrel aging. Overall, this is a beer that, to me, probably shouldn't have been barrel aged. The barrel doesn't do any good here; it's arguable, but it might be part of the problem with the unpleasant flavors I described. There are some nice barrel aged tripels out there, but this isn't one of them.

02-06-2007 01:48:34 | More by geexploitation
Sycodrummer

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from the bomber in to a snifter the beer was a bright bronze color that setteled to a ginger ale type shade. Lots of carbonation from this one with bubbles streaming up from the glass and leaving a good amount of sticky lace. Two-fingers of white head than unfortunatley faded quickly.

The nose is boozy alcohol, some light green apple and citrusy fruit together with a malty undertone.

The taste has a subdued alcoholic warmth to start but then this intensifies. Slight fruitty flavor and the green apple is in the nose also appears in the taste. Some grape and white wine flavors also develop and this building to a strong phenolic finish.

Medium body, with a good amount of carbonation.

This beer just seemd odd to me. Such a light, fruitty spicey style matched up with this kind of ageing and some vanilla flavors just seemed off. I really did not care for this all that much.

01-28-2007 23:34:23 | More by Sycodrummer
arguemaniac

The really nice vinous qualities stand out the most with this beer: it has a great red wine oakiness. But it is still a triple, and as such it features that fairly intense, malt sweetness with some busty yeast notes and a subtle hint of clove. The richness is nicely offset by an overall smooth palate.

You know, I’ve had this one sitting in my beer fridge for more than a year and I’m not sure why I kept passing it up. I guess I was a little intimidated by it, Weyerbacher has, in my experience, made some really intense, even overwhelmingly big beers. But I must say this beer is unbelievably drinkable given a nearly 10% ABV. Plus, the delicious oakiness of this beer rivals even that of some of the best red wines I’ve sampled. Perhaps aging it in my fridge for so long mellowed it out. Sure, I know beers don’t age that well in those temperatures, but it was in there for more than a year after all. Nonetheless, aged or not, this beer was excellent. Highly recommended.

01-28-2007 22:21:27 | More by arguemaniac
alexskovan

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured cloudy pale gold with a small head that dropped quickly to a thin film of bubbles. Oranges and biscuits in the nose, as well as caramel, and a slight gingerbread quality. Taste is surprisingly light, but rather long and complex. Nicely sour, with hints of orange, lemon, ginger, and an acidic afterbite that is very savory. The alcohol content is not overly noticeable. The bottle says it is aged in oak, and I'm tasting a little of that, but not overpowering.

This is a very fine, bewitching brew!

01-26-2007 22:22:13 | More by alexskovan
bruachan

District of Columbia

3.93/5  rDev +8.3%

i have not tried merry monks but i doubt that fact will hamper my enjoyment of this brew

the head fizzled, though i'm wondering if my glass is clean. the color is a gold. despite a small foam, it releases aromas of oak and vanilla, which dovetail with the spice to some degree. there's a nearly-bretty sourness to it as well

i'd be interested to check out the original brew; i don't know if it's the oak that causes this funky characteristic when mixed with the tripel, or if merry monks has some of that on its own. i dig it. it's pretty mellow, too

01-20-2007 05:19:26 | More by bruachan
beerphan

3.45/5  rDev -5%

12oz bottle -> pint
no date.

Pours yellow with a slight orange flair. A small fluffy head quickly recedes to a small puddle of suds. No lacing. Carbonation appears robust and slow moving.

Nose: Bourbon, whiskey, did someone sneak a shot of Jack in here when i wasn't looking? Some faint faint fruitiness sneaks through and there is some banana, but all i really smell is bourbon. As the beer warms the banana completely takes over and the bourbon fades away.

Taste: Bourbon is all through the flavor. Yeasty banana is there and lingers on the palate afterward. Warming alcohol very present. Probably would do well with some age.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feels pretty good and full, the constant carbonation provides a nice full body feel.

I did not find this very drinkable and i barely finished the bottle i had, and at $3.50 for a 12oz'er i sure am glad i only bought one.

01-14-2007 23:23:09 | More by beerphan
WanderingFool

3.1/5  rDev -14.6%

A friend of mine gave me a bottle of Prophecy as a thanks for all the homebrew I gave him. The beer pours a clear bright straw yellow with a small creamy white head on top. The foam dissolves quickly to a ring around the surface leaving only a few spots of lace on the side of the glass. A woody aroma of oak with a hint of vanilla and a strong alcohol smell dominate the aroma. The alcohol smell reminds me a bit of medicine.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer has a soft body with a fizzy tingle mixed in. The flavor has lots of oak and alcohol. In the back there's burbon, vanilla and some clove. Once gone the oak and vanilla linger on the palate.

I think this beer needs to be aged a bit to mellow out the alcohol. It's a bit too fizzy, but otherwise a tasty brew.

01-07-2007 18:50:21 | More by WanderingFool
vwcraig

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

Nice golden-orange color with a thin ring of lacing around the edge. SLOW rising stream of tiny bubbles float to the top. Before I can raise the beer to my face, it smells like Jack Daniels. Most of the smells of the original Merry Monks is just about gone and smells like the bourbon barrel. Taste is more of the same with a whiskey taste upfront that leaves a drying mouthfeel. At least it doesn't burn like bourbon. Body on the lighter side and has a sweeter and drying aftertaste like a champagne almost. Will possibly try again but not my favorite.

12-27-2006 03:00:10 | More by vwcraig
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

3.78/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber to a steamed glass. The Liquid is light gold, with good carbonation. The head is a thin 1 finger, white and leaves little lace.

The smell is oaky, some vanilla, and alcohol.

The taste is better, 3otts of oaked fruity malt, alcohol, with vanilla notes.

The mouthfeel works real well no complaints here, Better then medium body and good carbonation.

The drinkability falls off some. Big brews do that some times. One is enough. I have one in the cellar and it may stay a while. All in all worth a try, Prosit MK

12-17-2006 04:28:56 | More by MuenchenerKindl
Prophecy from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.