Prophecy - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.30% ABV

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 05-07-2005

Merry Monk's Abbey Ale aged in Bourbon Barrels.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prophecy Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber to a steamed glass. The Liquid is light gold, with good carbonation. The head is a thin 1 finger, white and leaves little lace.

The smell is oaky, some vanilla, and alcohol.

The taste is better, 3otts of oaked fruity malt, alcohol, with vanilla notes.

The mouthfeel works real well no complaints here, Better then medium body and good carbonation.

The drinkability falls off some. Big brews do that some times. One is enough. I have one in the cellar and it may stay a while. All in all worth a try, Prosit MK

3.17/5  rDev -12.7%

I should preface this by first saying that a lot of the Weyerbacher beers are a little over the top for me, but I still keep going back for two reasons: 1. They brew a lot of different styles of interesting beers, and 2. I'm a sucker for trying new brews. Thus, I find myself pouring a bomber of the Prophecy. It pours a nice golden hue with ample carbonation and a thin head. I have a small head cold, but I can sense notes of vanilla, honey, and malt in the aroma. Maybe some slight lemon? Maybe some peach? The bottle says simply that it is "ale aged in oak barrels," which may be the case, but it doesn't do it justice. I was glad to see that BA has it aptly listed as a monk's oak aged style ale. This makes more sense when I taste it. The oak is pronounced, but not too loudly. Very Belgian in nature, there almost also seems to be some caramel in there too. A bit nutty, with a slightly noticeable alcohol finish. Mouthfeel is sturdy. This beer could grow on me, and if I had another I'd be tempted to drink it as well right after to see if this would be so.... regardless of the almost 10% abv. Overall, I like this beer, but don't love it, which means that I'm still just as likely to re-visit the Weyerbacher shelf again next time they come out with something new. Well played, Weyerbacher... well played....

3.57/5  rDev -1.7%

Not date specific, but I know it's not beyond one year...
Heavy spritzy bubbles lead me to believe this beer does not appreciate oak. This has turned. Gueze-like in aroma & in taste. This has a love-hate relationship in your mouth. I have drunk, and very much loved the Heresy and Insanity from exact dated cases. This was my last to try. Think oak-aged champagne. But, with Gueze.

This review is in honor of exactly one year ago today I wrote my very first ever beer review for none-other-than Weyerbacher Prophecy. Oh how far I have come, in a year. True this is the next batch. But honestly I guess a year ago I thought All Belgian Style beers were supposed to be like Ommegang Three Philosophers (my favorite beer at the time). Now that I have had a dozen more triples here is a re-review:

Appearance: Pours a clouded orangeish hue with floating sediment particles. A hared pour into my snifter glass yields a two finger soapy white head that fades fast leving little but notable spotty lacing. A few swirls brings back a frothy cap and more lacing. Decent.

Smell: Yeast, malt, and butter, plus powdered sugar with a hint of honey combine with the booze and the oak in a unique way. The vanilla in the oak and the warming alcohol with the yeast creating the impression of a citric aroma like orange-creamcicle. The nose is certainly dominated by sweet sugary malts and buttery yeast with a hint of vanilla and alcohol.

Taste: Vanilla oak powdered sugar and lots of butter please the palate, with a warming alcohol attribute. As triples go this one is certainly more sweet and sugary than spicy. This beer seems to have a bit more of a phenolic attribute where I would be looking for a yeasty pepper spice, but it does work it out as an American malt liquor gone Belgian, it is pleasant on the palate but definitely different from it's authentically Belgian counterparts.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel vinous and sticky, leaving a fried butter feel on the palate.

Drinkability: At 9.3% ABV this triple is not a session beer but it is a tasty drinkable one for the sweet-tooth’s among us. It is sweet – but as a sweet fan - even I could finish after one.

Hope this is helpful.

3.89/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured out a murky light golden color with a tight white head. The nose is vinous; musty, grape aroma. Also, oak, yeast, and a decent amount of sour acid. The taste is nearly over-oaked, with malty sweetness, and dry white white. Has a decently crisp mouthfeel. Surprisingly refreshing for such a big beer, but the oak restrains this from becoming an enjoyable session brew.

3.82/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance: Very pale luminescent yellow-gold, lightly hazy with a wispy white head.

Smell: Vinous, grapey and dry like white Riesling.

Taste: White wine, caramel, vanilla, alcohol. Full and sticky mouth. Nice stuff, a very interesting combonation of oak barrells and tripel.

2.35/5  rDev -35.3%

A: I suppose what cantelope juice would look like with loads of bubbles streaming to the surface. Head is poor, some wisps around the top but the ring is solid off white.

S: Woody with tutti fruitti, some vanilla, dandelion and minor citrus.

T: Begins some what caramely with oak notes. Moves towards over the top juicy fruit...ridiculously sweet. WAY too much sugar added to this beer. I can't taste anything else.

M: Medium and decent but I can't get over the sweetness.

D: Horrible. This is getting dumped.

2.88/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours a bland yellow color creamy white head that shows decent retention and some sine waves of lacing. The smell offers an onslaught of honey, lemon, malt, and plenty of oak.

The taste consists of lemon zest, honey, sweet malt, woody oak, cloven spice, and then is knocked off-balanced by this waxy dish-soap characteristic, followed by a burst of none too subtle alcohol--though this is to be expected with a 9.3.

The mouth seems a bit overwhelmed with sugar and under carbonated. It's just seems a bit out of whack overall. I was hoping for a lot more out of an oak aged ale.

3.52/5  rDev -3%

A: Pours a cloudy yellowish amber color with a frothy one finger white head. Dissipates quickly with a thin ring around the edge of the glass.
S: Aromas of bananas infused with earthy oak chips--the oak notes have a good boozy, almost bourbonesque quality to them.
T/M: Initial sweet fruity flavors of apples, bananas, pears, and apricots with a background of earthy oak chips. Bourbon and oak infused bakcbone. Nice balance between the fruityness and the boozy oak notes. Smooth and creamy on the palate with a slightly dry almost stale yeasty finish and aftertaste.
D: A little too boozy for me, but definately an interesting tripel from Weyerbacher. I could see myself sharing this as a night cap--the bourbon notes put that in my mind. Not sure I'd buy it again though.

3.41/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured into a tulip glass.A very dense white head.collaring the sides of the glass.A golden.straw color.a very good looking beer.Not a real aromatic beer,smells winey,very alcohalic,a hint of bannanas,a clean smell,except for the alcohol aromas.
The taste was like overripe bannanas,very alcohalic,fruity,some vanallia aromas.
A mediun body,with a slightly thick mouthfeel.Smooth with lots of carbination.A warm alcohol sensation,dry and sweet
I couldn't drink more than 1 of these.Would be a good winter warmer.
I didn't like the overpowering alcohol presense, if you like alcoholic tasting beers this would be for you.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

Ahh yes, Prophecy. I've had it quite a few times now, and it certainly packs quite a punch in the taste department. One's pallate before sipping on it can make an impact on the perception of it. I've noticed that after getting into the bottle a bit, some of the astringent properties fade away.

This particular bottle poured without any sediment, which was a bit of a surprise. Very light golden color which grows thinner in the light.

The aroma smells like a nice Belgian Tripel, although the taste is quite different. Sure, it has the base of a Tripel, but the oak characteristics tend to change that. There is a strong whiskey/bourbon tinge to it, which I can imagine being overwhelming to some. After a few sips, this starts to balance better and not stick out as much.

Overall, it's a nice take on their Merry Monks Tripel. Occasionally overwhelming, but certainly adds to the experience.

3.76/5  rDev +3.6%

I'd sat on this bottle for about a year after Goodbyeohio gave it to me. I split it with a couple friends this evening. This one's a gusher, leaping out of the bottle with a fountain of foam. Careful.
Clear, polished bronze, leaning towards gold, with just a whisp of heap. I usually get a lack of head with barrel aged beers, so I'm not too worried about it. Good clarity. The aroma is sweet and malty, kinda hides in the glass, with a pleasant enough vanilla/pineapple scent. Definite whiskey presence, though nice and soft, integrated into the beer. A little one dimensional, but nice. As is the case with aged belgians, my favorite parts tend to drop out first. Lighter on the spicy fruitiness than I usually like, which is why I tend not to age belgians. The flavor follows the aroma's lead, with sweet, sugary malt and subdued belgian fruitiness. Mostly pineapple, tropical and candy-like. Vanilla is well displayed, serving to smooth out the brew. Soft spicy phenols, negligible hop presence, and plenty of booze in the end. Sparkling carbonation, lighter than i expected from a gusher, with a softer mouthfeel, probably from the time spent in the barrel. I like barrel aged tripels, so it's not a shocker that I'm enjoying this. Good, but not especially great.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

It poured a light caramel color with slight, white lacing and no head. The aroma hinted a little promise of candy -- a very boozy Werther's Originals spouted to mind. First sip was dry but finished with vanilla sugarcane. I immediately thought of a barleywine -(Note: The bottle I tried was not quite a year old, but I had a few Prophesies beforehand.) It had a strong mouthfeel that was rough on the palate in a high-alcohol sort of way. This is a beer that I enjoyed at beerfests and relax with at home. Goes well with strong-flavored crackers and spicy meals.

3.99/5  rDev +9.9%

A - this tripel pours a pale yellow with a two finger thick pure white head, there is also very faint carbonation

S - very distinct banana flavor, with a spiciness, maybe ginger, with a slight wheatiness to it, worth noting, my drinking buddy claims he can taste coconut, i dont, but keep it in mind

T - wow, what body, this is a great flavor beer, strong banana and ginger flavor with a great wheaty flavor, what an amazing tripel

M&D - one of the thickest, chewiest beers i have ever had, great mouthcoat, and it warms your stomach nicely,

im getting and image, its hazy, ...focus...there it is....its the future, im driving to the liquor store, i go to the weyerbacher section, and grab a beer and walk up to the cashier, and i return home and pour a nice glass, .. im having a prophecy that i will buy prophecy again

4.02/5  rDev +10.7%

Wow, don’t know the bottled date on this, but it was well aged and full of flavor.

Hazy, dull yellow pour to start, with small but fertile sheet lacing. The bottom swirl produced a hazy deep yellow/amber finish.

Aroma reminded me of a Jim Beam whiskey sour, yummy. Then the taste – a sour ale, interfused with good ol’ Jim Beam sour mash bourbon. Good thing I luv JB. In fact, I’m really liking barrel aged brews!

Lots of carbonation in this one, just a tad thin and fizzy. But to summarize, a very different, refreshing and tasty brew. The alcohol was very well hidden, I guessed this one at 6% - “JUST a bit outside”!

Thanks again to beerbeing for the quaffer.

3.4/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This one pours your typical Triple color of translucent amber with a white head that doesn't lace the glass much.

The smell is of fussel alcohol that somewhat overpowers hints of ripe fruit.

The taste has a lot of things going on. Not what I would think of a Triple at all. There is evident alcohol throughout. There is some bourbon flavors and some fruit that is overpowered by the alcohol. It is not entirely unpleasant, but not overwhelming by any means.

The mouthfeel is a little thin for the style and the drinkability would probably be limited to the bomber it came in for me.

4.37/5  rDev +20.4%

5/20/2005 $5.99 22 oz. 9.30% No best by date.

Pours a slightly hazy pale gold in color with a nice white head on top that settles fairly rapidly. Fine carbonation is present throughout the glass.

Oaking is definitely apparent in this one, as it smells more of chardonnay than beer. Strong presence of vanilla, butter and alcohol with a touch of citrus.

It's astounding to see what they are doing with beer these days. This tastes more like a champagne, than a beer. Heavily oaked with flavor characteristics of chard (oak, vanilla, butter) with some sweetness sneaking in at the end. A wonderful experimental beer, huge on flavor. Bold and nicely executed, I look forward to seeing how this one ages over time.

4.05/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a goblet. Not sure if this is to replace the Merry Monks ale - their other triple.

Pours a hazy golden color with a small head. Smells very yeasty with alcohol and a hint of vanilla (?). Didn't warm my throat as much as the Merry Monks, despite the same ABV...very good taste, though. A little sweet to start, some grape highlights, and it finishes with a crisp finish.

I think the Merry Monks edges this out just barely.

2.71/5  rDev -25.3%

This pours a golden color with a giant head. There is a ton of carbonation in this beer and it's a good looking beer. The smell is strong and unusual. I swear I can smell apples in this beer. There is also a sweet candy sugar and bourban aroma to it. The taste is as weird as the smell. The sweet candy sugar and bourban doesn't mix at all with the strange apple flavors. The aftertaste is abit mettalic leaving this beer as a big disappointment. i won't buy this again and the only really good thing I can say about it is that it looks good and the high alcohol content doesn't come out in the flavor.

2.8/5  rDev -22.9%

What a bitter, acidic, vinegary mess. I think this bottle might have gone bad but I was assured it had recently come in. It looks fine, cloudy, hazy orange with a nice white head. Smells sweet and complex, fruity and slightly sugary. The taste is awful, there is some sweetness but it is overpowered by a biting bitterness. Almost astringent. The rest is going down the drain.

2.63/5  rDev -27.5%

What a mess.

Nice hazy straw/light gold with nice bubbly head and lacing to match.

Some sweet, honeyed fruit, almost a grape (chard?) aroma with a little astringency/acid. Faintest whisps of oak. Interesting, but confusing, and not as immediately appealing as the complexity would typically induce.

The taste? I think I hate it. At least, at first. A lot of sour astringency and waaay too much oak. There's a crazy sweetness up front that disappears but rears its head in a sickly aftertaste. Ugh.

So why not a 1? Well, as it warms and my palate adapts to the sour and the oak it does develop its own peculiar drinkability, and although I think the "mix" of flavors here is just off, there's a lot to work through. Various fruits (apple/cider pops up) and each sip just a shade different... it would be fun if it wasn't such a chore.

I will certainly revisit someday, particularly since it seems to show hints of the "wild" beers and sourness of lambics and flemish reds and all sorts of other beers that I've read about and not tasted, and perhaps someday I'll find that it was really me that was off.

But until that day... I'll be happily avoiding this, with the caveat that I might be wrong.

3.89/5  rDev +7.2%

22oz. bomber: There was a slow ooze of foam out of the top after I opened this one. I was expecting a huge head, but only got a small fizzy one that dropped away almost instantly. The color is a clear straw yellow. There is a sweetness to the aroma. Possible notes of vanilla, citrus and oak. The beer is medium bodied: I was expecting something a bit fuller. Notes of fruits, mainly banana and a faint taste of pineapple. A touch fizzy on the tongue. A touch dry to the finish. Not a true tripel, but an interesting variant of the style.

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

Aroma: A musty, chardonnay grape aroma was noted at arm's length. Definite oak, yeast, and a slightly acidic twang. Seems complex and interesting.

Appearance: Cloudy straw colored pour with a very tightly carbonated white cap.

Flavor: Strong American oak flavor dominates, a touch of sweetness, and a drying chardonnay-like finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light with good carbonation. Slightly astringent finish.

Overall impression: Nice and refreshing on a hot summer afternoon. The oak will fatigue the palate but this is a nice take on the "barrel aged" craze. Much better than most attempts at this style. Recommended.

brown bomber bottle into a chalice

this poured a hazy gold with a thin bubbly layer of head that quickly disappeared. While the head was present it was extremely volitale with soda like carbonation, that was very loud.

The nose contains very fruity scents, perhaps most notable that of white grapes and apples. Reminds me somewhat of a white wine or even a cider. The alchohol is also very present in the nose

On the pallette this beer overwhelmingly reminds me of a champage, white wine or a cider. The oak barrell is present in the taste. Very active on the front of the tounge with grape and apple like flavors that carry through to the finish. The body is relatively thin which probobly hightens the wine comparrisons. The finish is pretty dry with a grape and grain after taste.

Not a bad beer and a nice experience but quite honestly I was expecting a lot more from this oak aged beer dubbed with the name "Prophecy"

3.05/5  rDev -16%

Pours a pale golden color with a fizzy eggshell white head. Some rather fine particulates left in-suspension. Aromas of cider, honey wheat bread and day-old empty Manhattan glass... nothing that really even implies a tripel other than some hints at honey-like malt. Sweet and sour maltiness upfront with hints of apricot and bourbon. Fairly odd sappy, lactic finish. Reminds me a bit of soggy, rotting wood. Carbonation is appropriately subtle, it seems to have been blown off from the pour. All in all, this beer's not entirely a bust, just a smidgeon of identity crisis going on. IMO, maybe a port barrel aging would fare this beer better.

Prophecy from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.