2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Imperial Pumpkin AleImperial Pumpkin Ale

Ratings: 1937

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: cbl2 on 09-17-2005)
View: Beers (48) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Imperial Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,937 | Reviews: 937 | Show All Ratings:
FuzzyGuy84

A - Deep red/amber color, but completely transparent. Nice, even carbonation and a dense, coffee ice cream head.

S - This is EXACTLY what I want a pumpkin beer to smell like. Tons of fall spices balanced with sweet malt and a bit of hops at the end.

T - An incredibly accurate representation of the smell. Balanced, complex - pumpkin-y and strong but not super sweet.

For me, this is the pumpkin beer that all others are measured against. A true feat.

09-17-2010 23:57:33 | More by FuzzyGuy84
traillme

Had this at Blind Tiger in NYC - its been awhile but extremeley memorable - truly was fantastic.

Appearance included a nice frothy head but really the smell seamed to jump from the glass. Taste and mouthfeel were perfect, exactly what you want from a Pumpkin in Fall flavorful but didn't linger for too long.

Serving type: cask

09-15-2011 04:33:51 | More by traillme
jonash2717

Colorado

Since moving from PA to CO, I cannot find a better pumpkin beer/ale than Imperial Pumpkin. In my years of BA readership, this is the only brew that I've felt compelled to review.

Even at the Great American Beer Fest, I couldn't find a better pumpkin brew. Easily the best beer in the pumpkin class. As well traveled as the Great British Beer Festival, I sure as shit didn't even see a pumpkin ale on that island.

The balance of alcohol content and spiced pumpkin flavor, which are both plentiful, is at perfect equilibrium.

Having tasted many rotating pumpkin brews at the glorious Hulmeville Inn, among other places, ale is the way to go - not malts, not lagers. Weyerbacher slaps an Imperial on that baby and booyah, BEST PUMPKIN BREW. [PERIOD].

Although the limited Woodchuck Private Reserve Pumpkin Cider sounds delighful.

10-21-2011 19:30:25 | More by jonash2717
jcw122

I'm rating this beer all 5s because I think it is absolutely excellent. LOTS of flavor, lots of alcohol, and probably one of my favorite pumpkin beers alongside Dog Fish Head's Punkin Ale with the exception that both are different and not totally comparable.

10-08-2012 02:44:21 | More by jcw122
microbrewlover

4.98/5  rDev +28%

I know I might sound as though I am mindlessly gushing over this ale but it really is that good. I simply LOVE this ale. The first thing to take note of is the artwork on the label, look it up on Weyerbacher's site.
Okay, the beer pours orange then quickly turns a deep orange/red with a medium head which quickly disolves.
The smell of pumpkin is strong; which is good for a pumpkin ale. The spices in the ale are cinnamon, cardamon, nutmeg and cloves. The smell of nutmeg and cardamon can be detected just underneath the smell of the pumpkin. I can not smell the cinnamon or the cloves.
This beer goes down very smoothly, kind of like drinking a good pumpkin pie. I realize that might sound gross but believe me this is the best ale I have ever tasted. There is no aftertaste; just the rich smell of pumpkin left in the glass after the ale is sending it's pumpkin flavored goodness through your veins.
If you are a fan of pumpkin ale you owe it to yourself to at least try this one.
The last time I reviewed this brew I mentioned the artwork on the label. Wyerbacher has upgraded the artwork, check it out the new label is even better.

09-04-2007 02:22:08 | More by microbrewlover
rohrbachsfan

4.97/5  rDev +27.8%

Appearance: Color was deep reddish amber. Creamy head that reduced quickly.

Smell: Spicy pumpkin, malt, and alcohol.

Taste: Malt and pumpkin pie spiced heavily spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy. Warming after it goes down.

Drinkability: Excellent. Will purchase again in fall of 2007.

Tried Weyerbacher’s Imperial Pumpkin Ale for the first time during the fall of 2006 for my 2006 round of Pumpkin Ale tasting (Shipyard, Saranac, and Weyerbacher). While Shipyard’s Pumpkinhead Ale was the best of the fall 2005 round (when compared against Post Road’s, Blue Moon’s, and Smuttynose’s offerings), this year’s lot of Shipyard’s Pumpkinhead fell a bit short. Saranac’s Pumpkin Ale and Weyerbacher’s Imperial Pumpkin Ale were similar in style (versus Shipyard’s which is lighter wheat ale), but the Weyerbacher’s was by far the BEST pumpkin ale I have ever tasted.

02-26-2007 17:15:35 | More by rohrbachsfan
travisnd

4.97/5  rDev +27.8%

This is one of my favorate pumpkin beers if not my favorate of them all. This pumpkin ale has a great smell, color, and taste. Definitely can taste the pumpkin and spice and with this being an Imperial...it only takes a few to get into the fall spirit!

10-04-2011 02:46:04 | More by travisnd
brewdlyhooked13

4.93/5  rDev +26.7%

Appearance - a good two fingers of flat tan head on top of a glassy burnt orange brew. Not much covering left after it settles but there is a thick solid ring of lace stuck around the edge.

Aroma - intense pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Aroma stays intense, very good.

Taste - a rich flavor of cinnamon, pumpkin and clove. There is a background grainy element, and a good little hop bite on the swallow. Not much, but just enough to give more of a beer profile to what is typically a highly-spiced category. Even a little touch of alcohol warmth on the finish. Top notch.

Mouthfeel - full-bodied, not excessively heavy. Carbonation does not get in the way of the flavor, complements it quite well.

Drinkability - pricy but ghoulishly good, heh heh. The hands-down winner of this year's pumpkin/fall beer Halloween 'taste-off' and the newest 'must-buy' for my annual October fix.

11-13-2006 18:58:44 | More by brewdlyhooked13
dwren89

4.89/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: reddish amber brown with tan creamy head and great clarity

Aroma: string rich pumpkin and spice aroma with spices being nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves most noticeable. Some strong bready tones as well. Smells like fresh naked pumpkin bread!

Taste: my goodness this is a beer t be reckoned with. Tastes exactly like fresh pumpkin bread. Strong, malty, and rich with strong pumpkin spice flavor and a bready like consistency. The strong alcohol is noticeable but in a good way. Not fusel or hot notes

Mouthfeel: full, chewy, and thick but a soft thickness, similar to pumpkin bread. Medium-low carbonation

Overall: Definitely one of y favorite pumpkin ales. Like drinking pumpkin bread, with strong pumpkin and spice flavor and a balanced and thick mouthfeel. Absolutely stunning.

09-30-2013 23:57:35 | More by dwren89
Mypintishalffull

4.88/5  rDev +25.4%

I love Pumpkin Ales and this is the best one I had yet. I even aged this beer for some time and now it seems to taste better than ever. Poured with an awesome head. Great aroma of spice and alcohol and warmth. Cinnamon. Herbs. Malt. Full bodied mouthfeel but cut by the hops and carbonation. Crazy drinkable even at the high abv. Best pumpkin I had.

LOVE WEYERBACHER PUMPKIN!

07-03-2011 01:57:25 | More by Mypintishalffull
Dudeletter

Georgia

4.85/5  rDev +24.7%

Weyerbacher’s Imperial Pumpkin is a pumped up version of what you may have been used to when enjoying pumpkin ales of years past. When you first take a sip you are graced with everything you could want in a pumpkin ale, there is a slightly creamy mouth feel followed up with a barrage of pumpkin pie character that leaves you feeling like you just dove into one of the best pumpkin pies you ever had. You really can pick out the cinnamon, and nutmeg as well as the fleshy pumpkin character all without overwhelming your palate. The best thing about this beer is that it is not an overloaded spice bomb that leaves you feeling like you just had a spoonful of raw pumpkin pie spice mix, it does a great job at keeping everything in balance (although at an elevated level) and is very enjoyable to drink.

06-27-2012 15:54:58 | More by Dudeletter
ndekke39

4.83/5  rDev +24.2%

I love Pumpkin Ales. There are good and bad ones out there, but when they're good, they're good. So I was excited to find an Imperial Pumpkin Ale. I've drank a couple bombers of this already, but haven't taken the time to review it. It pours a very appealing reddish-orange, in other words, a solid pumpkin color. Very rich. Tall white head with good retention. Leaves rings of lace all around the glass. Smells very strongly of warm, almost roasted pumpkin, plus some rich pie spices, such as the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves. You can smell the alcohol, too. Tastes are phenomenal; the best I've ever had in a pumpkin ale. This is what I've been looking for! Again with the roasted pumpkin and the spices. Little alcohol bite. A nice touch of bitterness on the back of the tongue, which balances out the sweetness. Overall wonderful flavors. Like seriously drinking a pie of liquid pumpkin pie. Nice, creamy mouthfeel: not as thick as a stout, but smooth like a Maibock. So smooth that I swear they used oats in the mash. This is a fantastic Pumpkin Ale, probably the best one I've ever come across. It's flavors and aromas are rich and bold, but not overpowering. Weyerbacher has really committed to the style, rather than just cramming spices in or using a pumpkin additive. I will definitely return to this one again and again. It's a new reason to look forward to fall!

10-09-2007 04:05:11 | More by ndekke39
JISurfer

South Carolina

4.78/5  rDev +22.9%

OMFG! This is THE best Pumpkin beer I've had to date. That's a pretty heafty statement, considering the amount of Pumpkin beers I've had. I think the only one even close to it, is the Cottonwood Pumpkin. The smell is so damn close to a Pumpkin pie, you'd think someone shoved one into the bottle. The taste is far superior to the other Pumpkin beers, not only because the spices, malts, and hops are balanced out so damn well, but you'd never know that it was 8%. This makes it a dangerous beer though. Knock a few of these bad boys back and look out! On the other hand, it's good for keeping you warm during the cold October nights. Overall a damn fine beer. I just wish I could get it down in SC on a regular basis.

10-20-2006 02:30:43 | More by JISurfer
ZAP

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

This is a top notch pumpkin ale...

A-Deep orange (close to brown) colored.

S-The nose includes a great pumpkin pie smell (pumpkin plus the appropriate spicing) ...

T-Thankfully the taste is not as heavy on the spicing...tastes like pumpkin pie though....very enjoyable..

M-Body is medium to full....feels substantial while also not feeling like a snifter type sipper...

D-One of the top pumpkins I have had...still like Pumpking better but that is a whole different beast (with the incredible unique graham cracker elements)...for a straight pumpkin ale this is tough to beat.

I did a three-way blind pumpkin ale taste test yesterday with this, Dogfish Head and Smuttynose...this was clearly without question the best of the three....I have all three again today and completely agree with my blind taste test...Dogfish is solid but not close to this one...Smutty doesn't compare...

11-27-2008 22:34:19 | More by ZAP
chefhatt

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

When the beer was poured into a pint glass, i didn't have a lot of head to it, but a nice amber color body and a thin white lace around the edge of the body. The aroma of this beer of roasted pumpkin pie spices. The taste is unbelievable, the taste of the clove, allspice and nutmeg with a hint of cinnamon and the balance of the malts and pumpkin is very well done. It has a great mouth feel and is very smooth off the tongue and is very drinkable.

12-06-2010 03:07:44 | More by chefhatt
Eriktheipaman

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

Pours a very beautiful ruby with white head that fades completely over time.

The smell is Cinnamon and nutmeg. Lots and lots of fall type spices coming through but not over powering.

The taste is similar. It is slightly dry with a pumpkin pie taste on the back that lingers for about 30 seconds.

I am blown away by how good this beer blends all the ingredients together. Also being 8% you can't pick up on any alcohol.

09-07-2011 23:21:29 | More by Eriktheipaman
blackbearywheat

4.72/5  rDev +21.3%

Poured a clear orange body with decent head that had a spicy, cinnamon and pumpkin smell along with some sweet malts. Taste the spice but has a great sweet balance of cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin that goes down easy. AS usuall weyerbacher brews a excellent pumpkin ale,this is my #2 Pumpkin ale everyone should try this

10-15-2009 02:59:17 | More by blackbearywheat
RoterTeufel

4.72/5  rDev +21.3%

So we get a low drinkability level due to its 8% ABV and that its at pumpkin beer. Actually, average is alright by me with that 8% ABV. I'll drink a 4-pk, but I won't be driving home. I'm not particularly fond of pumpkin beers... but this one deserves the prize. It smells like it should, tastes like it should, appearances is great, mouthfeel is right on for a 8% ale of this nature.

I buy this in season - even my girlfriend likes it. So that tells you something! Love this seasonal! I love Weyerbacher!

09-21-2010 04:10:00 | More by RoterTeufel

4.72/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A Nice beer with subtle spicing. It is not too carbonated and there is no bitter after taste. much more body than shipyard pumpkin. After notes of sweetness like a Belgian. I like the color, not too clear and red tones make it look nice in the glass. Minimal head.

10-11-2011 22:38:57 | More by 00766
delicious

Vermont

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

Smelling the beer just out of the bottle, I'm getting a lot of spice. OK, now I'm excited.
Pours a dark amber body that has just a bit of haze and a thick cream colored head.
The nose has loads of nutmeg, cinnamon, and pumpkin allspice. I'm going to go ahead and mention cinnamon again.
Gingerbread men with buttons made of cloves and hop-flower hats are dancing in a shower of holiday spices before putting on a synchronized swimming spectacle in a pool of pumpkin pie filling. This is perfect. Wow, talk about nailing it. Is it November yet? All I can think about is which foods I want to pair with this beer, and a thanksgiving feast fits the bill. The mouthfeel bolsters the experience further as alcohol warms the inside cheeks and is even tingly at times. Goodness gracious me, why is this so drinkable? Even though my sips are moderate in size, they are frequent in occourence. Beers like this one make me feel great all over and really work out my smile muscles. If I had this with turkey I'd enter suspended animation and wake up with the black bears.

09-18-2006 23:56:03 | More by delicious
kpantz

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

Executive Summary: My hometown brewery, Weyerbacher is one I can always count on to have something interesting in the portfolio. This is the second iteration of the Imperial Pumpkin, and this time we find it older, wiser and even tastier than its predecessor (which was pretty damn good itself). With the 2006 revision, Weyerbacher, in my honest opinion, has justified the image on its label - they are the king of pumpkin ales, hands down. My only request now is that they work on the head retention - but don't mess with the flavor!

Here's last year's review for reference:

Interestingly enough, it's nearly a year to the date I reviewed it the last time around. My only regret is not reviewing it at a time when most are drinking or considering purchasing this beer.

Appearance: Reddish amber pour from the bomber into my Weyerbacher pint glass. Moderate lacing. Head is off-white and creamy to start, but reduces to nothing. Would like at least a lacing to hang around.

Smell: It's coming at me before I even get my nose over the edge of the glass. Nutmeg and clove, with a bready malt aroma just lightly painted with pumpkin. Like last year, it's the spices, not the pumpkin that defines this one.

Taste: Malt-heavy at first, with the nutmeg, cinnamon (didn't capture this flavor last year) and cloves quickly joining the dance. This is, in my honest opinion, the best tasting pumpkin ale available. I don't see any room for improvement here.

Mouthfeel: They did it! The one thing with which I was disappointed last year was the hypercarbonation. Made the thing seem more like an alcoholic pumpkin soda, if you know what I mean. This time, they boldly beat back the brazen bubbles and have a tremendous result on the tongue.

Drinkability: Over and over and over. Not too heavy, and doesn't trapse into "novelty" territory like some other seasonal beers.

02-18-2007 02:12:49 | More by kpantz
becktone

From notes 9-9-08

Eye: Looks like autumn. Color is nut brown, the color of falling leaves-light brown, gold, orange, and amber all rolled into one. The body is fairly clear, I'm thinking that this one will have a hearty body...just by looking at it one can tell that it is not light on the palate. Red highlights give some interesting hues to the beer. Head is small and really I'm not even thinking it looks like a head. Retention of this extremely thick blanket is about 1/4 of a finger. Color of it is dirty white. Retention really needs some work. Lacing needs some serious work, there isn't any.

Nose: Very strong aroma hits the nostrils before the beer is even poured, as soon as the cap is popped. Big spice aroma, as is what's to be expected from the style, pumpkin pie spices. Cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg are what I can smell. The label states that cardamom is also in there but I'm not really sure what that smells like, so I can't pick it out. Good strong sweet malt backbone on this beer...were it not there this beer would collapse in my opinion. The malt sweetness supports the hearty spice aroma. All in all it smells like a fall day, falling leaves. It doesn't necessarily smell like pumpkin, or pumpkin pie, but the association is close enough. Not the best I've laid my nose to though.

Tongue: This one is really nicely balanced in flavor. Sweet malts give balance to the spices used that give the beer its forward flavor. The pumpkin used in the brew can also be tasted, though it really provides little flavor. There is a unique and distinct flavor that goes hand in hand with the thick body and the smoothness of the body as well that I'll attribute to the pumpkin. No one spice dominates the other, they are all in balance giving a nice overall flavor to the beer. I can't say that there are any flaws here, this is one damn good pumpkin ale. The flavor of this guy just screams fall, autumn, and late October/early November. One of the best I've had, not too overboard on the spices like Jack's pumpkin spice. Alcohol is hidden, not well hidden, I really can't even tell its there. And even though the beer is amazing, DFH's Punkin, seems to be a little heavy on the allspice (or at least on of the spices). This one is just so smooth and nicely balanced between spices and malt that it is hard to turn down. Each pumpkin ale is unique, and though this one doesn't hit the "grandma's pumpkin pie" taste for me, it does the best job at giving a "fall" feeling to the drinker.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Very smooth and velvety on the palate, carbonation does not intrude at all, it is so light in feel that it is barely noticeable. The body of this beer is full, and thick, not full though like a doppelbock, not chewy like that, but it is full as in heavy, creamy and smooth. This is one that I could seriously drink all day, give me a cool fall day outside and I'm there counting leaves that fall from the trees. The finish on this one is semi-dry leaving some of the spice flavor behind which seems to dry out the palate. Get your hands on this one if you can. This is one that I'll be buying again, that is granted I can find it...had to travel to my hometown of Stow OH, to get this one. There's only a few that I've had better than this (in terms of Pumpkin ales) and two of those would be homebrewed that I made about a year ago (not to flaunt my prowess, since I think that it was pure luck that I picked numbers and percentages for my grist bill, too bad I didn't write down exactly how much of each spice I used...hindsight is better than foresight, always use a scale to measure things). If you love Pumpkin ales as I do, get your hands on this one, its fucking great.

09-23-2008 22:58:40 | More by becktone
simmons

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

Apperance: pours a solid, but a bit hazy, deep orange with a tannish head that disapates quick leaving a thin lace.

Aroma: Very strong pumpkin aroma followed an amazing spice aroma. This is followed by a malty nose with not much, if any, hops present

Flavor: Very malty! This is followed by a solid pumpkin flavor with an nice bit of pumpkin spices to make this very tasty. I do not taste any hops over the pumpkin or spices. An alcohol & warming aftertaste lingers. The flavor is exactly what you would expect from the aroma

Mouthfeel: The body is very full and has a creaminess to it. carbonation is on the lower side but works very well for this beer. Balance id say is just about perfect. There is a lot of character to this beer.

Overall: This is a well done pumpkin beer. worth buying again? ABSOLUTELY!!! There are so many things that is great about this beer: malty, great pumpkin flavor, amazing usage of spices, great body, well balance, a smooth drinking beer.

09-23-2009 14:46:46 | More by simmons
magine

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured into a becker glass.

Pours a hazy to cloudy dark amber color. Thick fluffy, light tan head. Pocketed head sits atop the brew like a pancake. Nice sticky lacing. Really looks nice and malty, good looking brew.

Brew smells of spice; cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and natural pumpkin. Nice malty backbone. Really is a great smelling brew.

Brew is perfectly balanced; creaminess is immediately followed by a nice blend of spices and malts. Cinnamon, nutmeg and some real nice caramel malts. Maybe even some sweet hops in the end. Some real nice spicy qualities to this one. Brew finishes really balanced for a higher abv brew. Very complex and super tasty. Wow, this is where it is at - outstanding.

The best pumpkin brew I have tried yet. It is a pumpkin beer yes, but so much deeper and flavorful then the others I have tried. it is a pumpkin brew that doesnt forget to taste like beer. Excellent.

09-02-2011 01:33:34 | More by magine
JustinMann

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

Tried this at a Bocktown Beer and Grill. Its wonderful pumpkin pie flavor mixed nicely with the caramel, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I was pleasantly surprised that our server had dipped the rim of the pint glass in brown sugar. While I haven’t had many pumpkin ales to-date, it is my opinion that this ale ranks extremely high when compared with ANY type of beer. I was super impressed.

10-15-2011 23:56:04 | More by JustinMann
Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.