Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Imperial Pumpkin AleImperial Pumpkin Ale

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: cbl2 on 09-17-2005

We set out to make a bold monument for The King of the Pumpkins!
This 8.0% ABV pumpkin ale is the mother of all pumpkin ales. It is heartier, spicier and more “caramelly” and “pumpkiny” than its faint brethren! We have added lots of pumpkin along with cinnamon, nutmeg and a touch of cardamom and clove, giving this beer a spicy, full-bodied flavor.

This truly is an Imperial Pumpkin Ale. Perfect finisher on a cool autumn night or match it up with a slice of pumpkin pie and fresh whipped cream.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Imperial Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
4.01/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured a dark amber into my pint with one-inch head that settles in to reveal a nice and thorough off-white film atop. Good retention and some lacing. Really well established look to this brew and I sense lower carbonation. There is a strong, sweet smell of pumpkin and a fragrant spiciness is noticed right away. Good blend of spices and good job on achieving a natural pumpkin flavor. Cloves and nutmeg take over with cinnamon certainly noticeable. Not overdone by any means. A subtle aftertaste of the spices resides. A smooth imperial ale for an 8% abv with no detection of alcohol whatsoever. Not as heavy as I expected with medium carbonation. This is a good pumpkin ale that I think hit most of the marks. The bottle label is creepy also; that king pumpkin with the robe. A solid, late summer release pumpkin brew.

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

picked one of these up in a mix-a-sixer..did not notice a freshness date

poured into a pint glass,very nice deep orange color,smallish head and minimal lacing

the smell of this brew might be the best thing about it.all the spices yuou associate with pumpkin are here.cinnamin,nutmeg etc

really tasty too,seemed to get hit with cinnamin on the finish which was interesting

my first pumpkin beer of the season and want more

4.2/5  rDev +8%

First 'real' pumpkin beer of the season. Had a Sam Adams about a week ago and that is a terrible beer now.
Paid $9.99 4 pack in Tampa

A- Nice and expected orangeish 'pumpkin' colored with a decent head.

S- Smells pretty freaking good. Pumpkin, cinnamon, coriander, vanilla.

T- This is actually a surprising taste. Very nice, well balanced but kind of spicy on the pumpkin side. It's like I am drinking a pumpkin pie like some weird family member made. You don;t know what to expect, shit or great. Well, this is not shit. Sam Adams Octoberfest, that's shit.

M- just fine.

O- Very nice well rounded and medium bodied beer. The best I have had this season. I have had SA Octoberfest and Shipyard Pumpkinhead and thios beats them both by a longshot

4.2/5  rDev +8%

First had: on tap at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Poured into a pint glass, a burnt orange with just less than a finger of off-white head that receded to almost nothing after a moment. Nice aroma of fresh pumpkin and nutty grains. Taste...was what a pumpkin ale should taste like. Rich caramel malts to start, followed by yummy pumpkin, cinnamon and spice. Not subdued. It's pumpkin, and that's how I like it. Ends a little bitter, with some finishing hops easily detectable. Medium bodied, and smooth enough to keep you coming back for more.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

First round of pumpkin ales for the season. 2011 12oz. bottle poured into a Deschutes Snifter.

Appearance: Aggressive pour with a vibrant orange soda 3 fringer head. Dies quickly into a halo topping the beer. Vivid sanguine flecked orange hue; tinted with rustic brown, a fall spectrum.

Smell: Winter baker's spice cabinet spices hit first; ingredients to Thanksgiving desert. Cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice give way to freshly pureed pumpkin with a interesting hint of cider.

Taste: Initial mouth is of fresh and candied pumpking that work in unison to create a parallel pumpkin pie experience in liquid form. The sweetness of the pumpkin is subdued in the middle by the pice cabinet array of cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice, finishing with a cinnamon and alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel: Viscous pumpkin puree feel, similar to pumpkin bisque while maintaing a juicy refreshing presence. Slight burn in the finish from the alcohol but hardly a concern. the cinnamon and nutmeg work well to transform it into a pleasant experience.

Overall: Best of the Pumpkin beers that have been released so far this season, that are available in central Ohio. Lets of exceptions have to be made in August I suppose.

3.94/5  rDev +1.3%

appearance - Murky amber with a very light head that didn't last and a lacing that quickly sinks back down.

smell - Caramel pumpkin with a lot of spice on top. Cardamom and nutmeg really pull through pushing clove out of the way with cinnamon not far behind.

taste & mouthfeel - Strong ale with a complex spicing going down with a warm alchohol feel and baked pumkin flavor.

overall - Wow. After the last Pumpkin Ale I had (tasted like I was drinking Libby's), this was very refreshing. I would definitely try at again - maybe to compliment a fall meal.

Poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

4.09/5  rDev +5.1%

Received as an extra in a trade with Centennial. Poured 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Hazy red orange color. Little head and lacing.

S: Pumpkin pie. Lots of spices. Definitely get the cinnamon and nutmeg on the nose.

T: Same as the smell. Spices take forefront over pumpkin. The cardamom is very prominent. The alcohol burn is there but does not overpower. Very enjoyable.

M: Creamy, thick, rich. Perfectly carbonated.

O: I am very sad that this beer is not distributed in this area. I would definitely pick this up in the fall if I could get my hands on it.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle.

A- Pours an amber/orange with a slight white head with a little residual lacing.

S- smells like pumpkin and spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. Everyhing that the beer advertises.

T- Similar to how it smells. Almost like a non-sweet pumpkin pie. None of the flavors are overpowering in any way and yet all are present. Very well balanced.

M- It's a little thicker than I anticipated, but not overly creamy. there's a decent amount of carbonation present as well.

O- Tried this one a night after I tried Southern Tier's Pumking. Weyerbacher's isn't nearly as sweet as the Pumking, but both are excellent in their own right. Definitely worth a try.

4.09/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz bottle poured into a Weyerbacher Tulip.

A - Pours a ruddy orange-brown with a creamy off-white head that settles to a thin haze and ring, leaving just a few spots of lace clinging to the glass.
S - Really nice Pumpkin aromas, smells like a Yankee Candle Pumpkin candle in the best possible way. Authentic pumpkin, cinnamon, cardamom, and clove with some sweet caramel malt. Great!
T - Follows the nose closely, lots of pumpkin and Fall spices : clove, cinnamon, cardamom, and allspice. Liquid pumpkin pie!
M - Smooth, slightly creamy, with a medium-full mouthfeel and lowish carbonation. The 8% ABV is nicely hidden.
O - One of my favorite Pumpkin Beers, right up there with DFH Punkin!

4.65/5  rDev +19.5%

This is a fantastic pumpkin ale. Great spice aroma that trumps all other pumpkins that I've had. The pumpkin taste is prominent and kinda spicy. Would be interested to know if they used pumpkin meat or canned pumpkin.

Cardamom is the spice that brings it all home! Haven't seen this in many other pumpkins and really seems to give it a great pumpkin pie flavor without being over the top. I'm using it as a guide for my pumpkin homebrew this weekend.

4.45/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was somewhat hesitant to review this beer, as in my experience pumpkin ales tend to be extreme in that they are either awful - or exceptional.

Pours a beautiful deep brown, dark golden color. Carbonation is mild, and it doesn't have much of a head; less than a one finger.

The scent is fantastic. Cinnamon and pumpkin dominate, but small hints of other spices are evident.

It tastes almost exactly as it smells. A slight warming from the alcohol content rounds out this brew well.

A more casual review, admittedly but it suffices to say that I deeply enjoyed this beer. I am happy to say that it fell into the better of the extremes. It's still August, but fall can't come soon enough!

4.26/5  rDev +9.5%

Hearts, hearts and more hearts as I drink this beer. I've only had once before and it was on tap at a fest. This is my first time bottled and I love it just as much. it's a steep four pack at 14.50 or so at the lower end, but very much worth it.

Poured into a half liter Bitburger pokal I can pour it as hard as I want with little consequence. Amber beer as most pumpkins are with the sweet ecru head booms up past my half liter mark because I can pour it as hard as I want.

Smells of all described on the bottle pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and cloves. A little lighter on the nose but by no means light, can ya dig it?

Now taste it, let's play alone and let each other lose. Sweet, pumpkin on the end very light bittering, wonderfully spicy. Pumpkin pie should taste this good. Maybe if I made it with the beer. And yeah.

Solid body with good effervescence. You know it's strong, but not to that burning sickening point.

I'm feelin this good and I'm only one and a half in.

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a Newcastle Brown Ale Schooner glass.

Appearance: A darker orange-amber color with a thicker than average pour. Light beige, very thin head that quickly went away after my bottle emptied. Very fine lacing from what was left of the diminished head.

Smell: Tremendous aroma, like a freshly baked pumpkin pie. Nutmeg, spices, cloves, with a defined malty sweetness. I don't get any booziness at all. This is the best smelling pumpkin ale I've come across.

Taste: Pumpkin pie mixed with spices and light booziness is what I get right away, followed by the nutmeg, cinnamon, with an almost sweet caramel maltiness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Moderately thick, which was anticipated for an Imperial Ale, yet follows through with a smooth, lightly carbonated creamy texture.

Overall: You gotta love the taste of Autumn in August. I'm glad Weyebacher releases this during the later summer months. A nice, slow sipping beer with a ton of flavor. My other favorite is Southampton Pumpkin Ale. Now I will have a decision to make when it comes to committing to a 1/6th keg of this style. Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin will make me ponder my choice for sure. Well done...

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a slightly hazy, deep amber/light brown color with a little over a fingers worth of white head that dissipates quickly to a ring on top of the beer. Little to no lacing.

Smell is spicy pumpkin pie, with nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon and pumpkin mixing with some sweet, caramel malt. Not getting really any hop character in the nose.

Sweet malts, strong pumpkin and some very subtle floral hops all greet my palette, with the spices coming out in the finish. The spice helps to balance the sweetness, and the pumpkin flavor is big, bold and tasty as hell. I could drink a ton of these.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with good carbonation.

An exceptional pumpkin beer. Big pumpkin flavors meshing with sweet malts and just a bit of floral hops with a nice, spicy finish. Comes out a bit early for a pumpkin beer, but hey, I'm not complaining.

4.41/5  rDev +13.4%

A: A deep orange amber with a thin, ecru head. No head retention or lacing.

S: The glass was a foot and a half away from my face and I could immediately smell a warm pumpkin pie coming out of the oven with a nice floral hops on the back.

T: The spicy pumpkin flavor swirls with a strong caramel malt flavor. Oh is this good. On the back end you're left with the cinnamon and nutmeg. Many pumpkin beers are too pumpkinny, but this beer is balanced just right.

M: Fairly thick but not necessarily creamy. Medium-heavy with a mid-range carbonation. A little bit of alcohol dryness on the back end.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

A: A clear dark brown/amber color with a thin off-white head.

S: Nutmeg, clove, and cinnamon aromas with a little pumpkin.

T: A very nice flavor of nutmeg, clove, cinammon and pumpkin, maybe a touch of brown sugar. There is a little bit of an alcohol bite and bitterness in the finish.

M: Medium-heavy body with good carbonation.

O: Very nice pumpkin ale. One of the better that I've had. A little bit bitter than some, but more flavorful than others.

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%

Purchased as a 4 pack at Wine and Beer Westpark - DFH snifter.

Pours a very nice, well filtered pumpkiny orange red with absolutely NO head. Smells amazing, it really smells like pumpkin pie which i guess is expected but it is really nice. This is coming from a guy who have never had a pumpkin ale though.. so.. yeah.. Future Chad may want to come back to this. The beer actually reminds me of a mulled apple wine with clove and cinnamon which makes sense in a way. Taste is very nice and follows the smell very well however the booze shows up in the finish just a little. Feels nice but would be a little better with more carb.

Overall this is a very good beer, low carbonation makes it a little weird, but maybe it was just this bottle. I will see with the others.

4.27/5  rDev +9.8%

tasting the 2011 version

a-little to no head, medium dark copper. its looks like how a fall beer should.
s-sweet cinnamon, honey, caramel malt, clove, smells like pumpkin pie honestly.
t-starts with nice full pumpkin flavor that transitions to a cinnamon, cardamon, and clove. finishes with a nice lite touch of hops that soothes into a warmness probably promoted by the high abv.
m-nice lite mouthfeel with a moderate level of carbonation. i would think a higher alcohol beer would have lower carbonation but not with this one.
o-this years version is good. i remember last years being a bit better but cant put my finger on why. for some reason this year it doesnt extremely wow me like it did previous years. its still damn good though.

4.62/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought a 4 pack for about $9. First pumpkin beer of 2011. Released pretty early this year I think. In honor of full disclosure I love pumpkin and fall beers.

A- reddish amber color. Very clear. Poured with thin off white head which left no lacing.
S- pumpkin, hint of cinnamon, and alcohol. Pumpkin is the dominant smell. All scents are pretty balanced. Kinda like pumpkin pie.
T- delicious. Some light bitternesswhich finishes very clean. Some hints of the 8% in the end taste. I can taste some pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg. I also recognize a woody flavor. Not sure if it is pine.
M- good carbonation which keeps it feeling light and smooth.
O- love it. Didn't review it last year but I think I like 2011 better.

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

One of the few Weyerbacher beers that I actually enjoy. I prefer the 2011 to the 2010 version. They are still similar, but the spices are less aggressive in 2011.

Appearance is like finely carbonated apple cider. Semi-transluscent dark reddish brown body. Fine carb bubbles stick to the sides of the glass.

Smell is of baking spices. As the label states: cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves)... The aroma strength of each is in that exact order. Inviting.

Spicy pumpkin on the taste. Everything melds though I would still like a little less cinnamon and nutmeg. It's easier to drink than Pumking, yet it is not as Wowing. Not too sweet, not too dry... Balanced in this respect.

Mouthfeel a little strange. I would like it to be more creamy. Instead, it tingles the tongue. There is a drying alcohol finish. A little more sweetness and a fuller, creamier body would benefit this beer in my opinion.

3.89/5  rDev 0%

A -- A hazy, sediment speckled rich amber brew that pours to a one finger if white head which sticks around a while and fades to a thin skim.

S -- Heavy spice to the nose, accompanied by vegetal notes and caramel malt.

T -- Sweet and spicy, hefty yet subtle. Clove and nutmeg being especially prevalent with caramel malts and the vegetative notes from the pumpkin being subdued and yet present throughout.

M -- Mid-heavy mouthfeel with a mid-low carbonation and a long linger.

D -- Very nice rendition of Pumpkin ale and worth a pickup. I can see these being dangerous.

4.41/5  rDev +13.4%

I've tried a number of pumpkin beers and liked very few. This was delicious.

Pours with almost no head, but the color is beautiful. A mix of rose and copper colors.

Smells like halloween! Strong cinnamon and cloves, but not overpowering. Very welcoming.

It sure is an imperial. All the flavors come through more powerfully. Again, strong cinnamon, sweetness from the pumpkin, some clove. Great composition.

Its a spicey. Full of mouth tingling spices.

I like!

---
Second review: I forgot I have tried this.

I'm in a good mood.

Amazing colors in this beer. Orange, Copper, and Red tones, hazy like a drunk sunset.

Sweet bready malts dominate the smell. You can smell spices, well balanced and not dominated by cinnamon like most pumpkins.

Very crisp, sexy beer. Spices are rounded, clove, cinnamon, vanilla bean, and most importantly, fresh pumpkin.

Hurray!

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Came into my liquor store to work and looked on the shelf and saw the Weyerbacher Pumpkin and I got sooo excited because its pretty early for Pumpkins to be out so I couldn't wait to get home to try one. Pretty sure it was a 2011.

The Imperial Pumpkin has a light brown darkest red color. No head on it what so ever. Very light hint of pumpkin which I am kind of dissappointed wish there was a little bit more but ill make due. Alot hints of cinnamon.

I really enjoy the taste of it but in my opinion drinks pretty light for an 8 percent. Overall I did enjoy it. Cheers!

3.41/5  rDev -12.3%

Pretty sure this is the first of 2011 weyerbacher imperial pumpkin this year.

Appearance is great, its a very pretty red/almond color. However... I had almost no head or lacing. A head on my beer would have given this a 5.

Smell is alcohol, barley, cinnamon, other spices, and very slightly caramel. I can’t convince myself I smell pumpkin

Taste is fall/autumn spices, with hint of pumpkin. I’m not big on spices so I can’t pick them out, but iI’d rather have pumpkin, and less incense. Hop character is very small, but leaves a dry finish with a hint of boozey twang.

Overall, I’m pretty sad. Though I may have gotten a bad bottle considering so many people talk about the great foamy head on this beer. I’m on my last 8oz now and while I’m not really enjoying it all that much, and I’m surely not feeling pumpkin pie (which is what I want to feel). I can say this beer does have a fall feel to it. If anything else it reminds me of autumn and the turn of the seasons. PROST!

4.87/5  rDev +25.2%

I love Pumpkin Ales and this is the best one I had yet. I even aged this beer for some time and now it seems to taste better than ever. Poured with an awesome head. Great aroma of spice and alcohol and warmth. Cinnamon. Herbs. Malt. Full bodied mouthfeel but cut by the hops and carbonation. Crazy drinkable even at the high abv. Best pumpkin I had.

LOVE WEYERBACHER PUMPKIN!

Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.