Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Imperial Pumpkin AleImperial Pumpkin Ale

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

We set out to make a bold monument for The King of the Pumpkins!
This 8.0% ABV pumpkin ale is the mother of all pumpkin ales. It is heartier, spicier and more “caramelly” and “pumpkiny” than its faint brethren! We have added lots of pumpkin along with cinnamon, nutmeg and a touch of cardamom and clove, giving this beer a spicy, full-bodied flavor.

This truly is an Imperial Pumpkin Ale. Perfect finisher on a cool autumn night or match it up with a slice of pumpkin pie and fresh whipped cream.

(Beer added by: cbl2 on 09-17-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Imperial Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +8%

12oz bottle served in an oversized wineglass.

pours a deep, hazy amber with a little less than a finger of off white head... not much retention; some lacing. a good but by no means great appearance. the aroma, however, is A-one, outstanding, and really well captured in the wineglass: nice, fresh pumpkin accompanied by strong notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, maybe some ginger... wow, this is the smell i look for in my pumpkin ales - IMO they nailed it. that said, i feel the flavor takes a step back; maybe the nose raised expectations too high... still very nice, with the pumpkin and spices pulling through, but perhaps not as robustly as the nose had led me to believe; there's also a not entirely pleasant though subtle bitterness to it, as well as a bit a boozy bite to the finish. again though, a damn tasty pumpkin beer... medium bodied mouthfeel... overall, a nice representation of the style and well worth a revisit, but i'll work my way around some others first.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

A:Nice brownish orangish amberish hue depending on the light but it has a decent head which really sticks to the glass.
S: I took off the cap and immediately got pumpkin nutmeg and cinnamon in my nostrils. Big aroma and some slight alcohol scent.
T: Big sweet pumpkin flavor followed by a punch of spice and sweet maltiness. Tastes like blended pie. Which was great.
D/M: Crisp and bubbly. It has a great filling flavor but it sticks to palate and makes it hard to change to a different beer.

3.93/5  rDev +1%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass

A - Nice clarity on an orange body with a slight ruby hue. Small circle of white head

S - Pumpkin pie! Yummmm. Nice spicy hints and it actually does smell a bit like pumpkin.

T - Nice pumpkin spices up front with hints of vanilla and finishes with a cinnamon like bite similar to pumpkin pie. A bit of a boozy taste in the finish as well but not too much.

M - Smooth medium to heavy bodied with light carbonation. Pretty creamy.

D - Pretty drinkable. A slight boozy taste is the only thing holding this back. Pretty similar to pumpkin pie. This is my first pumpkin beer of the season and I can't wait for more!

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

I had a thread saying "Pumpkin ales not my favorite seasonal beer"....this may have just changed my mind.
Pours a deep Hazy ruby-orange , with some nice off-white foam. Huge pumpkin pie spice aromas, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg.The flavor is much of the same, with an abundance of pumpkin pie flavors, along with some brown sugar sweetness, a little caramel and some warming alcohol which helps balance things out a little. I wasn't a fan of pumpkin beers too much, but this one is probably the best I've had, so far. I have been told to try DFH and Southern Tier. Now to just hunt them down.

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

This is the first pumpkin beer I picked up for the new season. Notes are from a couple days ago.

The color is a mildly hazy bronze-like orange-brown. A white head forms about one finger tall and leaves some nice patchy lacing on the glass.
In the aroma is a bit of fresh, real raw pumpkin, but more real filling from the can than scooped out of the pumpkin. Nutmeg and cinnamon are evident as well as ginger, very well done rather than being messily over-spiced (as can be an issue with poorly brewed interpretations) along with a touch of vanilla.
There's a malty backbone that perfectly supports the pumpkin and complimentary spices. All of the Nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger is in the flavor, and it even seems a touch peppery (though between that and the ginger, it could be either).
The mouthfeel is rich and full, complimented by just a light carbonation. It could be smoother given the nice body, but it's a good mouthfeel for sure.
I wanted to try this one last year (not sure why I didn't), and it's now my number 3 pumpkin beer.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

I typically don't like Weyerbacher...and I only just began to like pumpkin ales so here we go. This beer has a very nice color, orange to reddish amber with a two finger head that fades to a white ring around the glass. Aroma is spicy, the cardamom is strongist, then a good bit of clove followed by the rest. No real pumpkin in the aroma. Flavor is a nice fall thing. Good malt backbone, spices and yeah for sure pumpkin is in the flavor. Kinda sharp, light on the hops, good. Great body though, thick rich, great carb for the style probably my favorite part of the beer. I could do like two of these.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Dark orange/ruby red with a moderate head and little lacing. Pretty much what I had expected.

S: Hmm. Interesting. Reminds me of orange sherbet with cinnamon. Strange description, but that's what I got out of it. Spicy and sweet in the nose too. Nice.

T: First sip I was confused. Several sips later, I started to really enjoy this one. Different, for sure. Bold and spicy, with a cinnamon and mild pumpkin finish. Although this is a pumpkin beer, cinnamon really dominates. Which I like.

M: Thick and moderately creamy. Good balance and carbonation.

D: A little on the heavy side, and the potent side (8% abv). But overall, a good pumpkin ale. Since this was my first pumpkin ale,(never really like the idea of a pumpkin ale at first) I might end up judging others based on this. But only those that are of the imperial variety.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Really good pumpkin beer. Has a dark copper with a tinge of orange color coming out of the bottle. Medium sized beige head. This beer is the strongest in terms of pumpkin spice I've had. Dominated by smell and taste with flavors of cinnamon, clove and nutmeg. Definite hint of brown sugar in there as well. Don't really get the pumpkin until the spice has washed over the palette, but it's there especially as it warms up a little.
Good example of the style.

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

I love this seasonal! truly my favorite pumpkin beer. definitely smells/tastes of fall holidays (halloween, Thanksgiving)

a) deep red/orange hue big head that fades quickly to tacing.

s) clove and cinnamon. second whiff brings orange zest

t) more of those pumpkin pie spices, clove, cinnamon, cardamom. Its hard to believe that the smell carries through to the taste, but it does. a little tart/bitterness on the finish. very thankful it is NOT cloying or overly sweet

m) nice thick mouthfeel. a little oily/silky mouthfeel reminiscent of rye beers

d) I really love this beer...nice slow drinker...to be enjoyed and savored

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

Had a bottle pre Salem 2009 Halloween night.

A - Orange amber beer that looks pretty clear with a small head. A couple goblins appeared in the room when I first poured it.

S - A lot of cinnamon up front with a sweet pumpkin aroma that follows. I could smell a black cat in the room.

T - A bit too much on the malty side for me. Pumpkin and spices are there but a little sweeter than I'd prefer. Not bad though.

M - Very full body, low carbonation, slight alcohol bite towards the end.

D - Alcohol is hidden well. Not a bad pumpkin beer, but not my favorite. Had me feelin good before I went out to party.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a solid dark orange. Great aroma of nutmeg,
pumpkin, and cinnimmon. Taste is odd. I think the alchohol doesn't balance well with the rest of the spices. Or maybe its the malt, because it really comes thru in the end. Its a unique pumpkin ale. You can't have too many as the 8%abv
will hit you.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Dark clean orange red in color.

S- The smell of pumpkins and cinnamon and nutmeg.

T- Taste pumpkins and spices and cloves with mild hop flavor at the end.

M- It's light alittle dry and crisp.

D- Well this pumpkin beer is one of many I have already collected for the season. This is number 1 and it's pretty good flavors of pumpkins and spices are all over the mouthful. Need some pumpkin pie with this beer to finish it. Worth a few more drinks.

Cheers...

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, no date

A - Pours a clear amber with about an inch of beige head; retention is minimal; no lacing to speak of

S - All the smells of pumpkin pie spice; cloves, cinnamon and ginger predominantly. Past the spice is a malty sweetness and just a hint of fruity alcohol; the smell is very similar to "Fall" scented candles - I've heard this described as liquid pumpkin pie, but I would have to disagree, as I don't pick up any pumpkin flavor beyond the pie spice, which is not to say pumpkin itself, but rather the spice mixture commonly employed.

T&M - The spices follow through in the flavor, with big hits of clove, cardamom and cinnamon. The ginger in the nose falls to the background. Lots of malty goodness, and some fruity esters. Finish is malty and sweet, and some of the spice hangs around for a bit.

D - A very yummy, spicy brew, that I imagine gets even better as the weather cools. Lots of big flavors and akthough 8% isn't terribly high, it's a smooth drink, and a few could go down quick.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Before I can even get to appearance I have to mention that it smelled like pumpkin pie as soon as I opened the bottle...

A: Pours a dark redish brown color with an inch or so of off-white head which receeds quickly but leaves beautiful lacing

S: As I mentioned the smell is very upfront with pumpkin and spices, there are also notes of brown sugar

T: Tastes a little different from what I expected, there's more of a spice flavor up front (clove, cinnamon, nutmeg) with a pumpkin finish and aftertaste

M: Medium to full bodied with a good amount of carbonation

D: This is a very enjoyable brew and would be great with a holiday meal...but it's great on it's own too

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

A-pours a dark amber with a bit of foamy head around the top of the glass

S-yumm, lots of cinnamon, pumpkin, and nutmeg

T-similar to the smell, pumpkin with a spicy finish, and caramel maltiness. A bit of alcohol warming, but not overpowering

M-medium body, low carbonation, just a little too thin on the finish but otherwise is pretty good

D-I am a big fan of pumpkin beers and could easily have another of these

3.4/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a copper-tinted mahogany pour that produces an average head that quickly recedes to a thin film with a little lace left behind.

pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, and cinnamon. doesnt smell like beer too much, if at all.

cinnamon and spice comes to the forefront of the flavor which also features some sweet potato, pumpkin, molasses, and caramel. nice for a pumpkin beer, but not so great when viewed as a beer.

light/medium bodied with some syrupy resin and spice left on the palate.

eh. drinks ok. I would rather a bit more beer in this beer.

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

A= amber-orange, nice head, plentiful rimming & lacing.

S= massive scents like being in a patchouli store, clove, orange, nutmeg and some pumpkin.

T= slightly tart, modestly smooth, less impressive than the nose but has the same various traits of light clove, nutmeg, maybe orange peel, pumpkin being a lesser one. Decent but not up to Sam Adams' Pumpkin as far as full pumpkin flavor in this category.

M= the bitter tart aftertaste is a bit annoying, sadly. Otherwise, some malt to chew on.

D= nice but not one I'd have more than one at a sitting.

3.03/5  rDev -22.1%

i can not believe i am about to do this, as i love pumpkin beers, but here goes:

A: pours a nice light shade of orange. looks good.

S: smells pretty good! great spice smell to it with the pumpkin smell hitting me last. getting pretty excited about this beer right then.

T: ahhh, where did it all go wrong.... it has a huge nutmeg taste to it which i'm ok with. but i kept getting hit with the cardamom. i'm not the biggest fan of cardamom and there was just way to much of the stuff in this beer for me to even enjoy it.

M: coulda been a little thicker but it was alright, not complaining.

D: oh my, i got through one, its not something i felt the need to pour down the drain (not many things are THAT bad!), not sure what to do with the other 3. not balanced at all... needs some more pumpkin to calm down the cardamom.

ouch, that was hard. i wanted so badly for this to be a great beer! but i do understand that its me and my issue with cardamom so by all means if you like pumpkin beer...give it a shot! why the hell not!!

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

I'm a longtime Post Road Pumpkin Ale drinker. This one was suggested to me to try.

Well...I have new favorite pumpkin ale!! This is some serious pumpkin beer.

Pours into a gorgeous deep amber color (one of the darker pumpkin ales I've seen).

Initial smell are wonderful spices and nutmeg.

Taste is simply superb. Initial taste is a mix of nutmeg, cinnimon and pumpkin. Not sweet at all, but a perfect mix of all the important Fall ingrediants.

Easy drinking beer for a cool Fall evening. Can easily have a few of these, which can be dangerous due to the high ABV (8%).

Stock up on this one!

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a slightly cloudy consistency. There was a half inch of foamy, somewhat long-lasting head. Average lacing.

S: A big, very pleasant aroma of pumpkin, spices and malt.

T: Tasted of malt, pumpkin, and some indeterminate spices. A bit on the thin side in the finish, but nonetheless not bad.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Medium-bodied.

D: Slightly uneven in spots, but still a drinkable beer.

3.35/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours a nice dark amber with a one finger khaki colored head. Head sticks around for awhile, average lacing.

S- cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin. Smells like pumpkin pie...glorious

T- the flavor I'm getting most is the nutmeg...kinda burns a little bit in the back of my throat. Not very pleasant to be honest...

M- its really thin and watery...not cool at all. Very disappointing

D- very disappointing, because it started so well. A little too much with the spices, and the texture absolutely killed the beer for me

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a rich amber/burnt orange. Nice amount of light tan head. Leaves a decent amount of lacing.

Great aromatics here. Smells more spicy than like pumpkin but very pleasant. Ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and pie spice, the essence of a pumpkin pie.

A bit weaker than the nose but many of the same components...i guess. Some cinnamon and nutmeg, a hint of pumpkin. The flavors are rich but not pronounced or bold. A bit watered down, but this somehow makes it rather palatable and easy to drink.

The only thing I do not like about the mouthfeel on this beer is the carbonation, it is a bit too much and somewhat prickly on the tongue. This does go down smooth and I would place it among the better pumpkin beers I have had, but that's not saying much since good ones are few and far between. Overall this was a good beer but a bit pricey. Would I buy this again...maybe.

3.18/5  rDev -18.3%

Thrown in as an extra by Jwiss22 - what a nice guy!

Appearance -- Pours an orange/ruby red with ample beige head.

Smell -- Cinnamon, nutmeg, bubblegum, pumpkin, caramel malts, and booze.

Taste -- Follows the nose well: pumpkin pie spices, raisin, pumpkin, and bubblegum. The alcohol is quite apparent, but this is standard issue for Weyerbacher.

Mouthfeel -- Full-bodied, slick, with moderate prickly carbonation.

Drinkability -- Not awful, but not thrilling. The bubblegum taste threw me off the entire way. The spice is on point, but most everything else is a bit distracting. However, I'm willing to revisit this in it's proper season (i.e., NOT AUGUST!)

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

A: The beer poured clear amber in color and has lacy patterns of bubbles floating on the surface.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of pumpkins and spices in the nose - cinnamon and nutmeg really stand out in particular.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell but is stronger and has lots of flavors of pumpkins and spices.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate. Not much carbonation is noticeable.
D: I would definitely try this beer again because it is easy to drink and has a good balance between the flavors.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

I have recently been having conversations about how many fall seasonals are all ready hitting shelves. It all seems to early. In a move of complete hypocrisy, I picked up a single of this.

I must preface this by saying that I havent really been a fan of pumpkin ales. Thats not to say that I havent found any that I do thoroughly enjoy (Punkin is awesome) I just think that there arent many out there that are very good. So I went into this with the bar set low.

A- Poured into a tulip. Its a clear roasty orange. It looks pretty pumpkin like. Nice appropriate color. Not much of a head, it fizzles out easily.

S- Nice smell. Big on pumpkin pie filling. Sweet pumpkin, spicy nutmeg and cinnamon, even some flaky dough. Its quite nice, the spice doesnt run away with this.

T- Ok, move over Punkin, I think I found my new favorite pumpkin ale. Nice balance between spices and sweet pumpkin. That little bit of doughy malts come and finish everything out. Hops and bitterness arent really in consideration here but its not an overly sweet beer.

D- While its stronger on alcohol than many other pumpkin ales its still nothing that gets in the way. A bit of a stiffer drink is what you might want on a cool autumn evening anyway. This one has changed my mind on pumpkin ales and will be stocking my fridge for the coming months.

Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.