Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Imperial Pumpkin AleImperial Pumpkin Ale

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: cbl2 on 09-17-2005

We set out to make a bold monument for The King of the Pumpkins!
This 8.0% ABV pumpkin ale is the mother of all pumpkin ales. It is heartier, spicier and more “caramelly” and “pumpkiny” than its faint brethren! We have added lots of pumpkin along with cinnamon, nutmeg and a touch of cardamom and clove, giving this beer a spicy, full-bodied flavor.

This truly is an Imperial Pumpkin Ale. Perfect finisher on a cool autumn night or match it up with a slice of pumpkin pie and fresh whipped cream.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,492 | Reviews: 986

A: A nice cooper/autumn color with a finger thick off-white head with some lacing down the glass.

S: A pumpkin scent with some hints of cinnamon, nutmeg and lots of other spicy characteristics. Also slight hints of alcohol hang around the pumpkin scent.

T: Very spicy up front taste with some nice pumpkin flavor. Hints of cinnamon and nutmeg are present throughout, also some alcohol in the finish.

M: Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D: A nice smooth Imperial Pumpkin, easy to drink but I wouldn't have more than a couple. A solid pumpkin ale.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Copper with a small white head and decent retention

S- Pumpkin! Spices in there too after you get by all that pumpkin

T- Ale maltiness... spices come through too here

M- Nothiner special, medium bodied and ok carbonation

D- Nose with the style are great combinations!!

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

Although I would never refuse this beer if offered one, it is disappointing. It has lots of pumpkin ale goodness - spices and things, and they all come out nicely in the aroma and taste. But since the ale part is pretty strong it could have used more pumpkin and spice taste - they get overpowered by the booziness.

This is not a beer you will want to drink a bunch of. One is enough (then on to something else). It definitely grows on you but I will seek a lighter pumpkin ale (in my quest for the best pumpkin brew).

Ammendment - my quest never seems to find a better pumpkin ale. This is the one for me!

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into a snifter, is a deep ruby color with a thick creamy tan head. A trace of lace.

The nose smells very much like sweet and sugary bubble gum with some pumpkin pie spice coming in at the end. Can't wait to give it a whirl.

I have some mixed feelings on the taste. It starts out with lots of spice. Picking up a lot of nutmeg and cinnamon. As it develops, more of the pumpkin is evident, but then at the end is a bit of a musty, stale pumpkin flavor and a pretty strong spice taste. I will say, it does taste very much like a pumpkin muffin. Not real sweet though, just moderately.

A bit of rough carbonation, but nothing horrible. Medium bodied.

An enjoyable and well done take on a pumpkin beer. This is probably the spiciest pumpkin beer out there and I would put this in my top two to date. Really well hidden eight percent abv.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Nice head retention, foaming to an inch of white, lasting quite a while. Burnt reddish copper, a bit hazy.
Aromas are fabulous, great mix of spice and malt. Nutmeg and cloves with a touch of Cinnamon and baked pumpkin gourd.
Through the spice some caramel malt sweetening, but hard to grab that with the spices, not overdone by any means.

Malty and sweet upfront with spices of clove and burnt Cinnamon through the middle. Nutmeg finishes up and lingers with more baked pumpkin, touch of woody Cinnamon stick and mild hop bitters.
Feeling a slick and mildly carbbed.

Not too much spice, it is a sharper, less sweet version though with more robust flavors then somthing like pumpking. Drinkability is very high and abv is nearly undetectable.

3.89/5  rDev 0%

Poured chilled from a 12oz. bottle into a goblet.

Pours an amber color producing about a half inch of head before quickly dissipating. The smell is what makes this beer. I don't quite sense the cinnamon nearly as much as I smell the nutmeg and cloves. It immediately reminds me of Autumn and the smells of the upcoming holidays. It tastes like...well, pumpkin pie in a glass. It is loaded with spices and it has a huge cinnamon, nutmeg and clove taste and is fairly well carbonated. It is very light and goes down very easily. I couldn't drink this all year but it certainly fits into the Autumn season.

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

Continuing my pumpkin onslaught. I love this season

A- pours an orange copper body with a nice head of foam that quickly disappears. Really screams pumpkin

S- a fantastic combination of spices, nutmeg, brown sugar, and a real strong presense of pumpkin. There is some alcohol scent at the end. the consistancy of a pumpkin brew is completely satisfactory for me!

T- just as delicious! The pumpkin and spices are fantastic!

M- carbonated and creamy

D- this is a very good pumpkin ale that is well balanced and delicious

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

As far as pumpkin beers go Weyerbacher, in usual fashion, make this one big. Dark amber. Good retention. Nice cream lace that looks to last. Nutmeg, cinnamon and a touch of alcohol in the nose. Taste is good. Pretty standard, but the cardoman adds a little something different to this one. Kind of unique. Alcochol is also present on the tongue. Pretty well blends with the malt and spices. Very drinkable. Bubbly tingle on the mouthfeel. Finishes a little dry. Nice.

3.97/5  rDev +2.1%

A: arrived with half a finger of bright orange head, and a dark orange brown head.
S: sweet cinnamon, clove, allspice, and pumpkin along with sweet malt.
T: bready malt with clove, cinnamon pumpkin and spice. nut much hop but it is more earthy.
M/D: smooth, spices give a sort of tingle along with the carbonation which makes for a very easy drinking beer.

4.09/5  rDev +5.1%

A - Dark caramel, almost brown. Not too much of a head, about 1/4 finger's worth.

S - A blast of cinnamon and other spices to the face. This beer is really pungent and smells a bit like Big Red bubblegum with a touch of malt.

T - Surprisingly the spices stay further in the background than present in the smell. The pumpkin really comes through here and tastes similar to the raw stuff. The taste actually reminds me of Little Debbie Pumpkin Delights... weird I know (and totally try these if you haven't had them).

M - Lighter than I'd imagined for an Imperial, but it is packed so full of flavor I can understand. Dances in your mouth and is eerily prickly on the sides of the tongue.

D - This is not a beer I want to drink a bunch of. The flavors are excellent and this is a finely crafted brew, but just a little too much for me to enjoy constantly.

4.24/5  rDev +9%

12oz bottle served in an oversized wineglass.

pours a deep, hazy amber with a little less than a finger of off white head... not much retention; some lacing. a good but by no means great appearance. the aroma, however, is A-one, outstanding, and really well captured in the wineglass: nice, fresh pumpkin accompanied by strong notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, maybe some ginger... wow, this is the smell i look for in my pumpkin ales - IMO they nailed it. that said, i feel the flavor takes a step back; maybe the nose raised expectations too high... still very nice, with the pumpkin and spices pulling through, but perhaps not as robustly as the nose had led me to believe; there's also a not entirely pleasant though subtle bitterness to it, as well as a bit a boozy bite to the finish. again though, a damn tasty pumpkin beer... medium bodied mouthfeel... overall, a nice representation of the style and well worth a revisit, but i'll work my way around some others first.

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

A:Nice brownish orangish amberish hue depending on the light but it has a decent head which really sticks to the glass.
S: I took off the cap and immediately got pumpkin nutmeg and cinnamon in my nostrils. Big aroma and some slight alcohol scent.
T: Big sweet pumpkin flavor followed by a punch of spice and sweet maltiness. Tastes like blended pie. Which was great.
D/M: Crisp and bubbly. It has a great filling flavor but it sticks to palate and makes it hard to change to a different beer.

3.97/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass

A - Nice clarity on an orange body with a slight ruby hue. Small circle of white head

S - Pumpkin pie! Yummmm. Nice spicy hints and it actually does smell a bit like pumpkin.

T - Nice pumpkin spices up front with hints of vanilla and finishes with a cinnamon like bite similar to pumpkin pie. A bit of a boozy taste in the finish as well but not too much.

M - Smooth medium to heavy bodied with light carbonation. Pretty creamy.

D - Pretty drinkable. A slight boozy taste is the only thing holding this back. Pretty similar to pumpkin pie. This is my first pumpkin beer of the season and I can't wait for more!

4.2/5  rDev +8%

I had a thread saying "Pumpkin ales not my favorite seasonal beer"....this may have just changed my mind.
Pours a deep Hazy ruby-orange , with some nice off-white foam. Huge pumpkin pie spice aromas, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg.The flavor is much of the same, with an abundance of pumpkin pie flavors, along with some brown sugar sweetness, a little caramel and some warming alcohol which helps balance things out a little. I wasn't a fan of pumpkin beers too much, but this one is probably the best I've had, so far. I have been told to try DFH and Southern Tier. Now to just hunt them down.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

This is the first pumpkin beer I picked up for the new season. Notes are from a couple days ago.

The color is a mildly hazy bronze-like orange-brown. A white head forms about one finger tall and leaves some nice patchy lacing on the glass.
In the aroma is a bit of fresh, real raw pumpkin, but more real filling from the can than scooped out of the pumpkin. Nutmeg and cinnamon are evident as well as ginger, very well done rather than being messily over-spiced (as can be an issue with poorly brewed interpretations) along with a touch of vanilla.
There's a malty backbone that perfectly supports the pumpkin and complimentary spices. All of the Nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger is in the flavor, and it even seems a touch peppery (though between that and the ginger, it could be either).
The mouthfeel is rich and full, complimented by just a light carbonation. It could be smoother given the nice body, but it's a good mouthfeel for sure.
I wanted to try this one last year (not sure why I didn't), and it's now my number 3 pumpkin beer.

3.89/5  rDev 0%

I typically don't like Weyerbacher...and I only just began to like pumpkin ales so here we go. This beer has a very nice color, orange to reddish amber with a two finger head that fades to a white ring around the glass. Aroma is spicy, the cardamom is strongist, then a good bit of clove followed by the rest. No real pumpkin in the aroma. Flavor is a nice fall thing. Good malt backbone, spices and yeah for sure pumpkin is in the flavor. Kinda sharp, light on the hops, good. Great body though, thick rich, great carb for the style probably my favorite part of the beer. I could do like two of these.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Dark orange/ruby red with a moderate head and little lacing. Pretty much what I had expected.

S: Hmm. Interesting. Reminds me of orange sherbet with cinnamon. Strange description, but that's what I got out of it. Spicy and sweet in the nose too. Nice.

T: First sip I was confused. Several sips later, I started to really enjoy this one. Different, for sure. Bold and spicy, with a cinnamon and mild pumpkin finish. Although this is a pumpkin beer, cinnamon really dominates. Which I like.

M: Thick and moderately creamy. Good balance and carbonation.

D: A little on the heavy side, and the potent side (8% abv). But overall, a good pumpkin ale. Since this was my first pumpkin ale,(never really like the idea of a pumpkin ale at first) I might end up judging others based on this. But only those that are of the imperial variety.

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

Really good pumpkin beer. Has a dark copper with a tinge of orange color coming out of the bottle. Medium sized beige head. This beer is the strongest in terms of pumpkin spice I've had. Dominated by smell and taste with flavors of cinnamon, clove and nutmeg. Definite hint of brown sugar in there as well. Don't really get the pumpkin until the spice has washed over the palette, but it's there especially as it warms up a little.
Good example of the style.

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

I love this seasonal! truly my favorite pumpkin beer. definitely smells/tastes of fall holidays (halloween, Thanksgiving)

a) deep red/orange hue big head that fades quickly to tacing.

s) clove and cinnamon. second whiff brings orange zest

t) more of those pumpkin pie spices, clove, cinnamon, cardamom. Its hard to believe that the smell carries through to the taste, but it does. a little tart/bitterness on the finish. very thankful it is NOT cloying or overly sweet

m) nice thick mouthfeel. a little oily/silky mouthfeel reminiscent of rye beers

d) I really love this beer...nice slow drinker...to be enjoyed and savored

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Had a bottle pre Salem 2009 Halloween night.

A - Orange amber beer that looks pretty clear with a small head. A couple goblins appeared in the room when I first poured it.

S - A lot of cinnamon up front with a sweet pumpkin aroma that follows. I could smell a black cat in the room.

T - A bit too much on the malty side for me. Pumpkin and spices are there but a little sweeter than I'd prefer. Not bad though.

M - Very full body, low carbonation, slight alcohol bite towards the end.

D - Alcohol is hidden well. Not a bad pumpkin beer, but not my favorite. Had me feelin good before I went out to party.

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a solid dark orange. Great aroma of nutmeg,
pumpkin, and cinnimmon. Taste is odd. I think the alchohol doesn't balance well with the rest of the spices. Or maybe its the malt, because it really comes thru in the end. Its a unique pumpkin ale. You can't have too many as the 8%abv
will hit you.

3.89/5  rDev 0%

A- Dark clean orange red in color.

S- The smell of pumpkins and cinnamon and nutmeg.

T- Taste pumpkins and spices and cloves with mild hop flavor at the end.

M- It's light alittle dry and crisp.

D- Well this pumpkin beer is one of many I have already collected for the season. This is number 1 and it's pretty good flavors of pumpkins and spices are all over the mouthful. Need some pumpkin pie with this beer to finish it. Worth a few more drinks.

Cheers...

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, no date

A - Pours a clear amber with about an inch of beige head; retention is minimal; no lacing to speak of

S - All the smells of pumpkin pie spice; cloves, cinnamon and ginger predominantly. Past the spice is a malty sweetness and just a hint of fruity alcohol; the smell is very similar to "Fall" scented candles - I've heard this described as liquid pumpkin pie, but I would have to disagree, as I don't pick up any pumpkin flavor beyond the pie spice, which is not to say pumpkin itself, but rather the spice mixture commonly employed.

T&M - The spices follow through in the flavor, with big hits of clove, cardamom and cinnamon. The ginger in the nose falls to the background. Lots of malty goodness, and some fruity esters. Finish is malty and sweet, and some of the spice hangs around for a bit.

D - A very yummy, spicy brew, that I imagine gets even better as the weather cools. Lots of big flavors and akthough 8% isn't terribly high, it's a smooth drink, and a few could go down quick.

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

Before I can even get to appearance I have to mention that it smelled like pumpkin pie as soon as I opened the bottle...

A: Pours a dark redish brown color with an inch or so of off-white head which receeds quickly but leaves beautiful lacing

S: As I mentioned the smell is very upfront with pumpkin and spices, there are also notes of brown sugar

T: Tastes a little different from what I expected, there's more of a spice flavor up front (clove, cinnamon, nutmeg) with a pumpkin finish and aftertaste

M: Medium to full bodied with a good amount of carbonation

D: This is a very enjoyable brew and would be great with a holiday meal...but it's great on it's own too

4.04/5  rDev +3.9%

A-pours a dark amber with a bit of foamy head around the top of the glass

S-yumm, lots of cinnamon, pumpkin, and nutmeg

T-similar to the smell, pumpkin with a spicy finish, and caramel maltiness. A bit of alcohol warming, but not overpowering

M-medium body, low carbonation, just a little too thin on the finish but otherwise is pretty good

D-I am a big fan of pumpkin beers and could easily have another of these

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.