Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Imperial Pumpkin AleImperial Pumpkin Ale

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

We set out to make a bold monument for The King of the Pumpkins!
This 8.0% ABV pumpkin ale is the mother of all pumpkin ales. It is heartier, spicier and more “caramelly” and “pumpkiny” than its faint brethren! We have added lots of pumpkin along with cinnamon, nutmeg and a touch of cardamom and clove, giving this beer a spicy, full-bodied flavor.

This truly is an Imperial Pumpkin Ale. Perfect finisher on a cool autumn night or match it up with a slice of pumpkin pie and fresh whipped cream.

(Beer added by: cbl2 on 09-17-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Imperial Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

A= amber-orange, nice head, plentiful rimming & lacing.

S= massive scents like being in a patchouli store, clove, orange, nutmeg and some pumpkin.

T= slightly tart, modestly smooth, less impressive than the nose but has the same various traits of light clove, nutmeg, maybe orange peel, pumpkin being a lesser one. Decent but not up to Sam Adams' Pumpkin as far as full pumpkin flavor in this category.

M= the bitter tart aftertaste is a bit annoying, sadly. Otherwise, some malt to chew on.

D= nice but not one I'd have more than one at a sitting.

3.03/5  rDev -22.1%

i can not believe i am about to do this, as i love pumpkin beers, but here goes:

A: pours a nice light shade of orange. looks good.

S: smells pretty good! great spice smell to it with the pumpkin smell hitting me last. getting pretty excited about this beer right then.

T: ahhh, where did it all go wrong.... it has a huge nutmeg taste to it which i'm ok with. but i kept getting hit with the cardamom. i'm not the biggest fan of cardamom and there was just way to much of the stuff in this beer for me to even enjoy it.

M: coulda been a little thicker but it was alright, not complaining.

D: oh my, i got through one, its not something i felt the need to pour down the drain (not many things are THAT bad!), not sure what to do with the other 3. not balanced at all... needs some more pumpkin to calm down the cardamom.

ouch, that was hard. i wanted so badly for this to be a great beer! but i do understand that its me and my issue with cardamom so by all means if you like pumpkin beer...give it a shot! why the hell not!!

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

I'm a longtime Post Road Pumpkin Ale drinker. This one was suggested to me to try.

Well...I have new favorite pumpkin ale!! This is some serious pumpkin beer.

Pours into a gorgeous deep amber color (one of the darker pumpkin ales I've seen).

Initial smell are wonderful spices and nutmeg.

Taste is simply superb. Initial taste is a mix of nutmeg, cinnimon and pumpkin. Not sweet at all, but a perfect mix of all the important Fall ingrediants.

Easy drinking beer for a cool Fall evening. Can easily have a few of these, which can be dangerous due to the high ABV (8%).

Stock up on this one!

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a slightly cloudy consistency. There was a half inch of foamy, somewhat long-lasting head. Average lacing.

S: A big, very pleasant aroma of pumpkin, spices and malt.

T: Tasted of malt, pumpkin, and some indeterminate spices. A bit on the thin side in the finish, but nonetheless not bad.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Medium-bodied.

D: Slightly uneven in spots, but still a drinkable beer.

3.35/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours a nice dark amber with a one finger khaki colored head. Head sticks around for awhile, average lacing.

S- cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin. Smells like pumpkin pie...glorious

T- the flavor I'm getting most is the nutmeg...kinda burns a little bit in the back of my throat. Not very pleasant to be honest...

M- its really thin and watery...not cool at all. Very disappointing

D- very disappointing, because it started so well. A little too much with the spices, and the texture absolutely killed the beer for me

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a rich amber/burnt orange. Nice amount of light tan head. Leaves a decent amount of lacing.

Great aromatics here. Smells more spicy than like pumpkin but very pleasant. Ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and pie spice, the essence of a pumpkin pie.

A bit weaker than the nose but many of the same components...i guess. Some cinnamon and nutmeg, a hint of pumpkin. The flavors are rich but not pronounced or bold. A bit watered down, but this somehow makes it rather palatable and easy to drink.

The only thing I do not like about the mouthfeel on this beer is the carbonation, it is a bit too much and somewhat prickly on the tongue. This does go down smooth and I would place it among the better pumpkin beers I have had, but that's not saying much since good ones are few and far between. Overall this was a good beer but a bit pricey. Would I buy this again...maybe.

3.18/5  rDev -18.3%

Thrown in as an extra by Jwiss22 - what a nice guy!

Appearance -- Pours an orange/ruby red with ample beige head.

Smell -- Cinnamon, nutmeg, bubblegum, pumpkin, caramel malts, and booze.

Taste -- Follows the nose well: pumpkin pie spices, raisin, pumpkin, and bubblegum. The alcohol is quite apparent, but this is standard issue for Weyerbacher.

Mouthfeel -- Full-bodied, slick, with moderate prickly carbonation.

Drinkability -- Not awful, but not thrilling. The bubblegum taste threw me off the entire way. The spice is on point, but most everything else is a bit distracting. However, I'm willing to revisit this in it's proper season (i.e., NOT AUGUST!)

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

A: The beer poured clear amber in color and has lacy patterns of bubbles floating on the surface.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of pumpkins and spices in the nose - cinnamon and nutmeg really stand out in particular.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell but is stronger and has lots of flavors of pumpkins and spices.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate. Not much carbonation is noticeable.
D: I would definitely try this beer again because it is easy to drink and has a good balance between the flavors.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

I have recently been having conversations about how many fall seasonals are all ready hitting shelves. It all seems to early. In a move of complete hypocrisy, I picked up a single of this.

I must preface this by saying that I havent really been a fan of pumpkin ales. Thats not to say that I havent found any that I do thoroughly enjoy (Punkin is awesome) I just think that there arent many out there that are very good. So I went into this with the bar set low.

A- Poured into a tulip. Its a clear roasty orange. It looks pretty pumpkin like. Nice appropriate color. Not much of a head, it fizzles out easily.

S- Nice smell. Big on pumpkin pie filling. Sweet pumpkin, spicy nutmeg and cinnamon, even some flaky dough. Its quite nice, the spice doesnt run away with this.

T- Ok, move over Punkin, I think I found my new favorite pumpkin ale. Nice balance between spices and sweet pumpkin. That little bit of doughy malts come and finish everything out. Hops and bitterness arent really in consideration here but its not an overly sweet beer.

D- While its stronger on alcohol than many other pumpkin ales its still nothing that gets in the way. A bit of a stiffer drink is what you might want on a cool autumn evening anyway. This one has changed my mind on pumpkin ales and will be stocking my fridge for the coming months.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip glass.

Really has a beautiful reddish brown color that has a huge 2 finger foamy head with excellent lacing. Has a beautiful Spicy pumpkin, clove, cinnamon and nutmeg aroma. Really inviting. Taste is a bit dull, might be the fact that I am drinking this on a hot night and it's not fall. Lacking body, though it does have some great complexities of sweet pecans, dry figs and bitter cinnamon. Mouthfeel is a tad thin also as I was expecting a much heavier brew. Really an easy drinking beer though and would be a great addition to some light gamey meals and of course turkey. Really a great effort.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance - the color is a dark orange tinged brown with a very nice creamy white head.

Smell - The first thing that hits your nose is the smell of the spices. Cardamom, cinnamon,and nutmeg...This is then paired with the smell of cooked pumpkin and some light hoppiness.

Taste - The spices immediately can be tasted followed by the flavor of a creamy pumpkin pie. The brew is moderately carbonated.

Mouthfeel - It is a medium bodied beer and is relatively smooth.

Drinkability - I love this beer with almost any type of food. The drinkability is very good and the flavors mend well to give contrasting tastes.

One of my all time favorite beers.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

The first review of the 2010 Weyerbacher pumpkin ale which was just released !

Appearance- beautiful brown in color, white head fades to thing white lacing, great small bubbles nicely stream the glass, nice look very vibrant

Smell- wow tons of cinnamon is the first thing that jumps to my mind, you can also pick up clove and nutmeg lingering pleasantly around, smell like a nice pumpkin pie, takes you quickly from 100 degree july day to a nice fall evening,

Taste- very interesting and enjoyable flavor profile, starts with alot of cinnamon and pumpkin pie flavor, good amount of malts are kept nicely in check by slight hop and drying finish, really nice balance, tons of flavor and thankful nice balance stops it from being to much,

Mouthfeel- smooth creamy and perfectly carbonated, good feel

Drinkability- so dangerously drinkable and enjoyable, this beer does great job of being balanced and making you want to have more and more, alcohol is well hidden to the extreme, i very enjoyable pumpkin ale for sure

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Finished unpacking after the move and found my old beer notebook.

A: Pours a dark orange almost brown color with reddish tints to it. Provides a small tan foam head that quickly dissipates.

S: Ample amount of spice and pumpkin scents. Good amounts of cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, caramel and pumpkin all rolled into one.

T: The flavors blend together nicely. The caramel, vanilla and pumpkin are prevalent throughout and the spice is more evident on the back end. The alchol is noticable more on the back end as well.

M: LEaves a creamy pumpkin flavor on the palate.

D: Very easy to drink this beer in the fall (duh). Although it has a higher ABV, I can enjoy more than one in a sitting.

2.95/5  rDev -24.2%

Thanks to the three BAs who have sent me a bottle of this over the past...epoch. I'll warrant I'm a bit afraid of pumpkin beers, although the only one I've ever had was pretty good. It's irrational. And OK. Don't judge me.

Pours a purty, Halloween, bright, blood-fruit kind of orange. Smell is whack, a highly spiced pumpkin pie, strangely appealing, but a bit disturbing. I might need therapy.

This imperial pumpkin ale has pumpkin & spice bleeding out of every watery pore. Spices piled on top of spices. All spice, cardoman, cinnamon, & I'm certain plenty of others. The pumpkin is actually subdued by the spices. Otherwise, I'm sure there are malts & hops & barley & all that other beer stuff in here - but I can't taste it.

Weird stuff. Ultimately, pretty decent, but I don't ever need another. And I really wonder why people would want to drink this around Halloween. Really. Wonder.

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

A. Pours a hazy pumpkin pie orange with a thin off-white head that dissipates quickly.
S. Smells like a spicy pumpkin pie: cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg are all very evident. Sweet malt and pumpkin smells take a back seat to the spices, but are still quite evident.
T. Similar profile to the smell. The spices hit upfront while the more subtle sweetness takes a backseat.
M. Medium to thick bodied with a brisk level of carbonation that keeps the beer from becoming overwhelming.
D. The alcohol is content to hide in the background making this a supremely drinkable beer. I plan to pick up a few six packs of these this fall to celebrate the season.

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a deep ruby-orange hybrid color, with some nice off-white foam. Huge pumpkin pie spice aromas--cinnamon, clove and nutmeg. On the palate, much of the same, with an abundance of pumpkin pie flavors, along with some brown sugar sweetness, a little caramel and some warming alcohol which helps balance things out a little. I am not at all a fan of pumpkin beers, but this one is probably the best I've had.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

A: Cloudy amber - okay head. Limited Staying Power.

S: Spices - Pumpkin Pie - duh.

T: Pumpkin and Christmas Spices.

M: Creamy and smooth. Good spiciness on the tongue. A little bite at the end.

D: My wife loved it - I will say no as it is a bit too much like an actual dessert for me.

This is what it says - it is Pumpkin - very much so. It is the liquid/alcohol embodiment of a pumpkin pie. Great, if you like that sort of thing.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours from the bottle a dark ruby red with a finger of soda fizz head. Smell is really a nice mix of spices, and I'm digging the pumpkin-spice slant as opposed to a more pumpkin-centric one. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove stand out to me, and all smell really natural and balanced. I'm typically a little wary of pumpkin beers, but every positive thing I've heard about this beer is true.

Taste is a dead-ringer for the nose, which is to say well-spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. It's a little spicier than Grandma's pumpkin pie, but I can almost taste the melting vanilla ice cream. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and smooth, finishing with sweetness and a firm, welcome alcohol note. No hops or bitterness to speak of.

I'm pleased with Weyerbacher's take on style, and I would gladly take down a six pack each autumn season.

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Found this chilling in the back of my fridge today. Poured into a Maudite snifter.

Appearance: Pours an dark amber/orange with slight head that quickly disappears.

Smell: Pumpkin pie, cinnamon, nutmeg

Taste: Heavy on the spices upfront with the after taste coming in with slight pumpkin.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and a little creamy.

Drinkability: I love pumpkin beers, but this one could use more pumpkin flavor and a little less spices. I'd drink this again, but still prefer the ST Pumking as my favorite pumpkin beer.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Weyerbacher's take on the style pours far darker than any pumpkin ale I've had before. Its body is brown with only the faintest of orange highlights, and lots of sediment in suspension. A light tan head kicks up and slowly drops to a film, leaving spots of lace on the way. Its interesting to note that some people refer to this beer as brown and others as orange. Either a number of us are having eye difficulty or there's a fairly drastic variation between batches.

Meaty pumpkin aroma, with a good dose of all the spices advertised on the bottle. Its sweet, but smooth, and doesn't betray any of the higher ABV that an imperial version brings to the table.

The flavour is excellent, and nicely complimented by a silky smooth body. A huge caramel backbone provides the setting for some meaty pumpkin and assertive spicing. There's some biscuit in there too, and it certainly goes the route of a freshly baked pumpkin pie. Its all really nicely balanced, and no one element is allowed to dominate. These beers can be too spicy, but Imperial Pumpkin doesn't go that far, the amount of pumpkin is nicely judged and the alcohol is nowhere to be seen.

This is a damn fin pumpkin ale, and dangerously drinkable for its weight. The peripherals were well-done, but the smoothness and balance of the flavour blew me away. Its certainly in the pumpkin pie mold of this style, so if that appeals to you then Weyerbacher is an excellent pick.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

12oz brown bottle without a freshness date.

Good foaming off of this beer, good retention as well. Dark reddish amber color shows some loose sediment from a careful pour from the bottle. Sharp spicing, mellow gord meat and a caramel maltiness in the nose. Strong ale flavor, the 8% abv is not pushy but it shows. Spicing jumps from spicy sharp to herbal nutty, clove pokes through in the beginning and the nutmeg cleans up in the end. Big caramel maltiness is balance by the alcohol and spice. Finishes with an alcoholic bite and a hint of cooked pumpkin.

Very tasty, very interesting. While I love a solid pumpkin ale imperial versions like this one actually seem more drinkable to me which could be a dangerous thing. ;-)

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a deep burnt orange color with a big foamy head. Off-white head falls to a minimal one. Thin lace.

Bold spiced aroma filled with clove and wonderful cardamom.

Nice tasting ale with pumpkin flavor, nutmeg, clove and nice obvious hints of cardamom. Big boozy alcohol flavor. Love it, delicious.

Thick and creamy in the mouth, smooth with an alcohol bite.

Like this one. On of my favorite pumpkin brews. Maybe because of the alcohol and the cardamom.

4.65/5  rDev +19.5%

Beer looks a bright, kind of hazy orange, with a creamy head. I attempt to carve the glass, but am stopped by the bartender, who politely reminds me that this is a beer and not an actual pumpkin, though i still check inside for seeds. The smell hits me with the pumpkin flavour right away, then the ginger, nutmeg, coriander and all the other wonderful aromas that we associate with Nana's homemade pumpkin pie. The taste does not disappoint, and when one considers the ABV it becomes patently obvious that Weyerbacher has created a pumpkin brew is a head above the rest. The pumpkin flavour is still present and pleasant, and all the other previously mention spices are hanging out as well, throwing a thanksgiving party in my mouth. The high ABV does not make this beer any less wonderful at all. This was not a case of someone simply "alcoholing up" an already existing recipe, the alcohol is barely noticeable, and the full feeling of the flavours makes this an incredibly enjoyable experience.

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Nonic. No date. 8.0% ABV.

Thank you PerzentRizen for this bottle!

A - Pours clear amber brown with a full toffee-colored, three-finger head. Solid retention but little lacing as it dropped down.

S - The spices smell so strong in this beer.They are just delicious. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and what smells like a hint of clove. Pumpkin is lower on the chain but also present. A bit of malts in the background as well as some earthy hops.

T - The spices are very strong again, but they have a bit more pumpkin to support them. Unfortunately there is little malt to back up the alcohol level and spice which leaves it a bit thin feeling and pretty solventy-warm. A small hop flavor is there with minor malts but not enough to combat this beer's other strengths.

M - Smooth and warm with a medium body and a light carbonation kiss to the finish with a dry bite and an alcohol punch.

D - It started out great and suffered mildly otherwise. Not for being bad at all, but for not living up to the aroma. It feels too thin and spicy to be an imperial. The body could use a bit of work but if you paired it with a pumpkin pie, it would be great. Good drinkability for an 8% beer though.

3.2/5  rDev -17.7%

I'm not a big fan of Pumpkin ales but the imperial caught my eye and I had to have a glass of it. It's a little more pumpkinny than I like so it was a little hard to drink but I think the higher alcohol by volume may have balanced out a bit. Great color, good carbonation, too much pumpkin in the flavor but might be nice when the weather gets worse,

Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.