Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Imperial Pumpkin AleImperial Pumpkin Ale

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: cbl2 on 09-17-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Imperial Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a goblet.

A - Poured a slightly hazy amber/copper color with a decent head of Slightly off-white foam. The head quickly faded into a spotty film. Soapy, scattered lacing and good carbonation throughout.

S - Malty with definite hints of Autumn spices. Slightly earthy.

T - More of the same. Very pumpkin pie like with slight alcohol and a mild soapiness detected in the finish.

MF&D - I'm not a big fan of fruit infused beer in general, but if you are this one is definitely a quality product.

nasty15108, Oct 07, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

First off, this is probably one of the top ten best labels I can remember seeing. The pumpkin king in his dripping robes raising his scepter is incredibly cool. The pour is also strong, with a handsome deep copper hue and a healthy cream colored head. The nose is little short of spectacular, with a blast of pumpkin spices you can whiff across the room. I know a lot of beer drinkers don't want their brew to smell like a pumpkin pie but I can't imagine a better nose for the style.

Not the flavor explosion I was expecting, but solid caramel malts and slight hop balance combine with the expected clove and spice
to carry things well enough. A warming from the alcohol commences after the second sip. The creaminess factor is unreal, definitely one of the smoothest, creamiest beers I've ever had, not so sure if it's authentic for the style but I like it.

Imperial Pumpkin is a luxurious, exquisite pumpkin ale that is a must try for fans of the style but I feel its too rich for serious sessioning.

daliandragon, Oct 06, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Picked up a single bottle of this as recommended to me by a good friend. Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. this beer pours a deep, cloudy, copper/reddish color with a white head about 2 fingers thick that settles very fast to a sort of thin surface layer and a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass. Good lacing here. Cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and pumpkin spice aromas are certainly present. The aromas here are certainly very strong, which I like. Flavors of pumpkin spice and sweet clove along with cinnamon and caramel malt sweetness are all nicely balanced. Very nice indeed! The 8% ABV is certainly well hidden. Has a crisp, smooth, frothy full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink the way well crafted beers should be. this might be the best pumpkin ale I have ever had.

Eric

neenerzig, Oct 06, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

A copper, seethur body with a good, one-finger head that leaves some lace patches. Nutmeg, cinnamon and pumpkin spice are prevelant in the smell and make for a very sweet malt aroma. Also a hint of some clove and maybe pepper. Great pumpkin taste, the nutmeg and cinnamon make for a sharp but sweet pinch with this medium-bodied beer, and the spices give it a crisp backbite and balance it out so its not like pumpkin flavored water. As close to liquid pumpkin pie as a few other pumpkin ales I've had.
They really hid the ABV well as its the spices, not any alcohol burn, that give you a warming sensation. A perfect relax/dessert beer.

clayrock81, Oct 04, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Bright amber hue with a nice solid head that dies to a simple collar.

S: Bold spice aroma with lots of clove and cinnamon. Pumpkin from the can is there as well put this one is more about the spice.

T: Bold spice flavors that meld together rather nicely. Hints of pumpkin can be found. Pretty good pumpkin brew until you taste ST Pumking. It pales in comparison to that one.

M: Medium in body, easy drinking for a pumpkin beer.

D: Not bad. Since we don't have ST brews in Florida this one will have to satisfy my pumpkin fix. It is the next best thing in my opinion. That being said the distance between this and Pumking is great.

tpd975, Oct 04, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice to see another "real" pumpkin ale hit the S. Florida market.

A - Looks a lot like DFH Punkin', it's an attractive brown. Not too much in the foam department, though.

S - Leaves me kind of flat, I don't smell much of...anything, to be honest. It's a relatively sweet-smelling brown, I don't smell much trace of pumpkin or pumpkin pie spicing.

T - Ahhh, here we go. Uncertainty over the appearance and aroma has been erased. That's pumpkin....a good *real* pumpkin/squash taste. 8% alcohol a little assertive. More straight pumpkin, and less spicy than DFH Punkin', if you want a comparison.

F - A strong beer with good pop and rich mouthfeel.

D - You probably wouldn't want more than one or two, but a perfectly good non-pumpkin-soda pumpkin ale. If pressed, I prefer Punkin' Ale, but really, it's pretty close. Punkin' is more like the whole pumpkin pie, complete with big spices and whipped cream. This one is like the raw, plain pumpkin pie filling, with a bigger pure pumpkin character. Both excellent, and satisfying. I will drink this again.

Patrick999, Oct 03, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into nonic pint glass. I believe this bottle is from the 2007 release.

A - Cloudy, reddish orange color. Solid 2 fingers of off white head rise with moderate retention, some lacing.

S - Beautiful. Cinnamon is the big guy initially, but after a second I get the beautiful aroma of cardamom pulling through. The nutmeg and clove provide a nice backing; honestly the spices are very well blended. No pumpkin to be found here, but this is great smelling stuff.

T - The magical spice blend from the nose hits immediately, and is very shortlived. The slightly minty aspect of the cardamom rides on top of sturdy caramel malt while the heat and bitterness from the cinnamon and clove roll over the sides of the tongue. A slight pumpkin presence creeps in with a dash of cinnamon late palate, finishing with a mild, roasted bitterness and the lingering astringency of the cardamom and alcohol.

M - Great medium body with relatively high carbonation. I wish the carbonation was tweaked down just a bit as it does get a tad prickly.

D - The boldness of this brew makes a bomber of it enough, but man is it well constructed. There's not the pumpkin element present in some others of the style, but the spice profile is amazing. It's difficult to really nail even a couple of spices in a beer, but Weyerbacher has done a seamless job of getting 4 big boys together. Incredible stuff.

PatrickJR, Oct 01, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Well, to start, I've never been a big pumpkin beer fan due to past experiences. This year though, I have managed to get my hands on some good ones. This one is probably the best one I've had to date.

A-Beautiful clear, amber/copper color. Little head on a heavy pour and it doesn't last. No lacing to speak of.

S-Smells like a gingerbread cookie or a mellow piece of pumpkin pie. Very heavy on the aromas and spice.

T-Judging by the smell, I thought I was in for a doozie. Not so. This beer is very well balanced and nowhere near the overpowering flavors I was expecting. The pumpkin spice is warm, spicy and sweet all at the same time. It was perfect for this early autumn day.

M-Clean and crisp. Little aftertaste that is washed away with each fresh sip.

D-Would and could drink this one all day. It reminds me of being at my aunt's house growing up for Thanksgiving.

Thanks to Gillard for sending this as an extra in our recent trade.

Cheers!

TasteTester, Oct 01, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

A dark, clear copper in color with a fairly scant off-white head and modest lacing. The aroma is butterscotch-nut and licorice alcohol, very complex and impressive. The taste is a somewhat thin bodied mild brandy and root beer, licorice, pumpkin and lots of cinnamon. The carbonation is subtle and its drinkability seems minimal to my tastebuds. Very interesting but not something I will likely revisit anytime soon.

Durge, Oct 01, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

Another very hyped beer. And I love the word "imperial" because I love strong beer. It came out a rich, warm shade of deep copper-brown--reminded me of maderia citrine. (ok, I'm a chick, cut me a break on that one) It had a minimal and rather thin head that left not much more than a ring around the glasss. The flavor was wonderful--just like pumpkin pie. Pumpkin,cinnamon, nutmeg clove--but a definate nip of alcohol in my nose.
The flavor was nothing but nutmeg and clove. Dry, intense nutmeg and spicey overdone clove with a strong alcohol bite. I let it set for a while. After a while some more flavors came thru--slight bandy and vanilla helped to tone down the spice. There was too much carbonation and the spice really made it a difficult beer to drink. If you love nutmeg and clove then this is the beer for you. Otherwise I think this beer is best enjoyed at room temp or even in cask. There are some brews that go on tap that simply don't taste right when the cold and carbonation hit them.
I had high hopes for this brew--it looked great and smelled wonderful. Not a bad beer but not one I'll routinely seek out.

LunaChick, Sep 30, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

A: Orange, copper color. Poured to a thin head that quickly dissipated.

S: A heady cinnamon and nutmeg smell.

T: A strong, almost overwhelming cinnamon and nutmeg flavor that completely dominates the taste and masks any indication of the rather high alcohol content of the beer.

M: A smooth feel throughout with a tiny carbonated edge.

D: A decent pumpkin beer, but with too powerful of a cinnamon and nutmeg taste to sample more than 1 at a time.

Served: in a standard pint glass

eljefe21, Sep 30, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

I haven't had a Southern Tier Pumking yet this year, but from my memory, it is a little better than this beer. However, this beer is still quite a good pumpkin beer.

It pours a clear bronze color with plenty of head and a brilliant body. Aroma is spicy and distinctly pumpkin-y...the dirty little secret of this style is that many pumpkin beers don't contain pumpkin, just the spices that remind us of pumpkin pie. But I swear in this beer you can smell the pumpkin which it professes to contain. Flavor is similar; spice, pumpkin, and alcohol. Mouthfeel is dry and clean. Quite good.

I would recommend this beer. While I think I like Pumking better, this is still an excellent pumpkin beer.

I bought this 4-pack at Discount Liquor in Milwaukee.

BeerBelcher, Sep 30, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -8%

Pours a deep, deep amber in color with a foamy head that quickly reduces to just a ring and an island in my glass.

Its smell is all about spices. What I smell the most of is coriander, which is surprising, because this beer isn't brewed with it. Perhaps I'm really smelling the nutmeg.

The taste, while notably spice-flavored, is kept under control. The nutmeg and clove flavors mix with a vegetal flavor -- must be the pumpkin. The sweetness gives way to a nice palate-cleaning bitterness.

The body is quite good. It's creamy and smooth and glides like glass over my palate.

Overall this is one of the better pumpkin beers. It keeps a handle on the spices, which makes this much more drinkable than others of the style.

Shaw, Sep 29, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a plastic pint glass.

A: Poured a medium brown amber with a hazy tinge and a creamy, two-finger head of carbonation.

S: Smells sweet and spicy, with a distinct blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice rising from the brew, with a fruit, spiced apple aroma as well.

T: Tastes sweet and malty up front, with a lingering spiciness and slight bitterness from the fruit and hop blend. The malt levels off and becomes bland around mid palate, but picks it up and finished with a spicy, dessert sweetness.

M: Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, warming and sweet.

D: Despite the imperial ABV, this is one drinkable pumpkin ale. The medium-full body does not leave you wanting more, and the pumpkin pie flavor is far from synthetic. A nice pumpkin ale indeed.

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale is still king of the mountain when it comes to pumpkin ales for me, but I'm glad to have tried this version by Weyerbacher, just to get a glimpse at that high ABV, pull no punches flavor they've built a reputation on.

Gambrinus1184, Sep 29, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Had this one with the Poker Pals Moxley and Hyland. Poured from bottle into pint glass a cloudy iced tea brown with orange hues. Smelled like my oh my sweet pumkin pie, cinamon, nutmeg and cloves. Tasted like the smell, sweet and crisp with no heavy alcohol taste and was surprisingly smooth. Light and mildly carbonated with more spices more prominent as it warms. I was not expecting to like this at all but I did. No doubt the best pumpkin beer I have tried.

Pleepleus, Sep 27, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +10%

12oz. bottle: This one pours into the glass with a bit of a fizzy, off-white head that goes away almost instantly. It is a fairly clear amber color. This one definitely smells like a pumpkin pie: there is no mistaking it for anything else. The taste is quite good. The cinnamon and other pumpkin pie spices are fight upfront, but not overdone. Some sweetness coming up through the spices. It has a very clean taste, but not light. I like this one!

Boto, Sep 27, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle into a Meantime snifter.

Pours a gorgeous, fiery copper-orange body with good clarity and capped by a thin veil of buff, manila-colored head. Foam retreats to a collar of large bubbles and a wispy center. The aroma is heavy on the spice tip: pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a hint of ginger. The malty balance isn't bad either, delivering some gingerbread & sweet grains. There's even a hoppy kiss in there for good measure.

Whoa...there are some big-time flavors lurking in this one. Spices blast the palate first, with white pepper and cinnamon-rich pumpkin notes leading the way. This transitions to veggy-rich pumpkin pulp and caramel malts that get quickly demolished by a brash occupancy of ethanol. Mouthfeel is sticky and thinner than expected, while the boozy finish is hot and leaves the tongue a bit too dry. Imperial Pumpkin started out promising, but falls a bit flat in the taste/mouthfeel department. Nevertheless, it does hold up as one of the better Pumpkin Ales out this fall.

wagenvolks, Sep 27, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Now, THIS is a pumpkin ale. Warning: I am drinking this immediately after choking down a regrettable bottle of the Four + Brewing Company's Punk'n Ale, so I may give it an overly favorable review simply by comparison.

Appearance: Beautiful, deep reddish-orange. An average pour yields about a finger of fine-bubbled, faintly orange head with average retention. Leaves a thin film of lacing as I drink.

Smell: Like fall potpourri. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves are apparent, and they make me want to breathe deeply and savor the scent. The scent of the pumpkin itself is there, but JUST barely. Man, this beer smells good, and it smells like fall.

Taste: Pretty darn good. The pumpkin is certainly there (to a greater extent that it is in the nose), but the cozy fall spices dominate. At the end, I pick up just enough malt and hops to round out the flavor. If it didn't have those, the taste would be okay, but the malt and hops really complete it.

Mouthfeel: On an ale "heaviness" scale of 1 to 10, I'd give this one about a 7 -- which is nice for a fall ale. Appropriate carbonation for the style enhances the spice notes, and the beer glides down the throat without the soapy slipperiness you get with lesser brews.

Drinkability: The 8% ABV is well-hidden, but it does warm your head nicely as you finish the beer. I almost feel like I could drink two of these over the course of an hour or two, but I'm not sure, thanks to the spices. Overall, though, this is among the most drinkable pumpkin beers I've had.

Highly recommended for fans of fall seasonals. Weyerbacher hasn't let me down yet!

UGADawgGuy, Sep 27, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Deep red-orange. Thin head, not much for retention. Lots of pumpkin spices in the nose, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, touch of vanilla. Smells translate nicely into the taste, but big juicy pumpkin flavor is the really nice part. Not bad. Slick, smooth mouthfeel.

NCBeernut, Sep 26, 2008
1.85/5  rDev -52.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. 09/25/08.

Pours a clear orange amber color with a half finger of beige head. The head quickly disappeared to almost nothing. Aroma is a bit odd. On one whiff I'll get pumpkin, cinnamon, and clove. On another all I get is cherry cough syrup.

Taste is similar to the aroma. Sometimes I get light pumpkin, cinnamon, and other spices (lots of clove). But most of the time I get a gross medicinal cough syrup flavor mixed with band-aids. Not pleasant at all.

The feel is probably the only good part about this beer. It's well-carbonated and not too heavy. No lingering aftertaste, which is good considering the taste itself isn't good. Drinkability suffers for that reason. The alcohol isn't noticeable.

I really can't recommend this. Other reviews seem pretty favorable so maybe I got a bad bottle. But the rest of this one is going down the drain...

bkilpatr, Sep 26, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

This ale pours copper in color with an off-white head consisting of very tiny bubbles, few streams of carbonation, and a little lacing.

Fairly sweet aroma with a bit af clove and nutmeg spice. Other than the spice not much going on here.

Bland sweet malt flavor with a bit of spice. Well balanced with no "off" flavors.

Medium body, smooth, somewhat watery, fairly clean

Smooth and clean, well balanced flavors, alcohol well hidden. Seems to be a very well made pumpin ale

cbn, Sep 25, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Deep, dark, amber clove color with a bit of carbonation. Thin, pinky finger cappucino head goes quickly.

The spices hit the nose the second the cap comes off. LOTS of cloves, some cinnamon, ginger, maybe a little allspice? Label says cardamom - sure, why not? Not a great deal of piney hop presence, but it's there. Malt is oily and viscous with a caramel texture.

Spice takes a little bit of a breather but it's still predominant. Malt is salty, nutty and viscous. Some hop pine but mostly spice and carbonation tingle. Almost to winter warmer proportions - where's the pumpkin? Still tasty if not as advertised.

Very spicy and tingly on the palate. Malt backbone emerges with warmth. Raspy spices and pine on the finish - a little splintery but enjoyable.

I understand this is a pumpkin ale but it tastes a lot like a winter warmer. Not what's expected.

IBUnit63, Sep 24, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

From notes 9-9-08

Eye: Looks like autumn. Color is nut brown, the color of falling leaves-light brown, gold, orange, and amber all rolled into one. The body is fairly clear, I'm thinking that this one will have a hearty body...just by looking at it one can tell that it is not light on the palate. Red highlights give some interesting hues to the beer. Head is small and really I'm not even thinking it looks like a head. Retention of this extremely thick blanket is about 1/4 of a finger. Color of it is dirty white. Retention really needs some work. Lacing needs some serious work, there isn't any.

Nose: Very strong aroma hits the nostrils before the beer is even poured, as soon as the cap is popped. Big spice aroma, as is what's to be expected from the style, pumpkin pie spices. Cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg are what I can smell. The label states that cardamom is also in there but I'm not really sure what that smells like, so I can't pick it out. Good strong sweet malt backbone on this beer...were it not there this beer would collapse in my opinion. The malt sweetness supports the hearty spice aroma. All in all it smells like a fall day, falling leaves. It doesn't necessarily smell like pumpkin, or pumpkin pie, but the association is close enough. Not the best I've laid my nose to though.

Tongue: This one is really nicely balanced in flavor. Sweet malts give balance to the spices used that give the beer its forward flavor. The pumpkin used in the brew can also be tasted, though it really provides little flavor. There is a unique and distinct flavor that goes hand in hand with the thick body and the smoothness of the body as well that I'll attribute to the pumpkin. No one spice dominates the other, they are all in balance giving a nice overall flavor to the beer. I can't say that there are any flaws here, this is one damn good pumpkin ale. The flavor of this guy just screams fall, autumn, and late October/early November. One of the best I've had, not too overboard on the spices like Jack's pumpkin spice. Alcohol is hidden, not well hidden, I really can't even tell its there. And even though the beer is amazing, DFH's Punkin, seems to be a little heavy on the allspice (or at least on of the spices). This one is just so smooth and nicely balanced between spices and malt that it is hard to turn down. Each pumpkin ale is unique, and though this one doesn't hit the "grandma's pumpkin pie" taste for me, it does the best job at giving a "fall" feeling to the drinker.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Very smooth and velvety on the palate, carbonation does not intrude at all, it is so light in feel that it is barely noticeable. The body of this beer is full, and thick, not full though like a doppelbock, not chewy like that, but it is full as in heavy, creamy and smooth. This is one that I could seriously drink all day, give me a cool fall day outside and I'm there counting leaves that fall from the trees. The finish on this one is semi-dry leaving some of the spice flavor behind which seems to dry out the palate. Get your hands on this one if you can. This is one that I'll be buying again, that is granted I can find it...had to travel to my hometown of Stow OH, to get this one. There's only a few that I've had better than this (in terms of Pumpkin ales) and two of those would be homebrewed that I made about a year ago (not to flaunt my prowess, since I think that it was pure luck that I picked numbers and percentages for my grist bill, too bad I didn't write down exactly how much of each spice I used...hindsight is better than foresight, always use a scale to measure things). If you love Pumpkin ales as I do, get your hands on this one, its fucking great.

becktone, Sep 23, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +10%

This is an incredible beer. It actually tasted like a delicious pumpkin pie and my favorite fall brew.

A-This color was a deep brown and dark brown when held to the light in its pint glass. It had a caramel head which dissipates slowly.

S- The cinnamon and nutmeg notes are quite strong. The pumpkin tones only emerge after a search. It is the closest experience of all the pumpkin ales to the smell of a real pie. I would not change the smell.

M/T- The taste is the same as smell. The favors continues to open up. There are notes of hops and malts in the backseat to the spice and pumpkin flavor. The 8% is covered and almost muted. The ale is smooth and a slightly thicker ale.

D- The beer is the very enjoyable similar to.. you guessed it pie. It was a lot of fun and a great experience for an "IPA." However I could only drink one in a sitting.

TubaManJack, Sep 23, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a dull amber that's very cloudy, with a finger of tan head that disappears quickly and leaves no lacing behind.
Aroma is of spices. Tons of them. You can certainly smell the pumpkin, and the cloves, and nutmeg. Smells a hint like egg nog too. The yeast comes out a bit, as well as maple and a bready, biscuity character.
Flavor is initially much like a doppelbock, but only for a second. The spice takes over, and the pumpkin king rings your ears and tastebuds, until he slides away, leaving behind a slightly bitter memory and a bit of warmth. Just a hint of hops in the tail end, and some slight bitterness.
Medium full body with good carbonation, and a very dry, almost fusely finish. The alcohol leaves a numbing warmth, and almost an I-just-used-mouthwash sensation.
For what Weyerbacher set out to produce, they nailed it. Now if you don't like spice or alcohol flavors, steer clear. But if you do, this one will rock you.

khiasmus, Sep 23, 2008
Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.