Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Imperial Pumpkin Ale
No picture.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: cbl2 on 09-17-2005

We set out to make a bold monument for The King of the Pumpkins!
This 8.0% ABV pumpkin ale is the mother of all pumpkin ales. It is heartier, spicier and more “caramelly” and “pumpkiny” than its faint brethren! We have added lots of pumpkin along with cinnamon, nutmeg and a touch of cardamom and clove, giving this beer a spicy, full-bodied flavor.

This truly is an Imperial Pumpkin Ale. Perfect finisher on a cool autumn night or match it up with a slice of pumpkin pie and fresh whipped cream.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Imperial Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,501 | Reviews: 987
2.5/5  rDev -35.7%

Strong on the sweetness, not a balanced spice portfolio, excessive abv for a fruit ale. Thick after taste.
Needs more cinnamon and nutmeg at this sweetness which is excessive. The lack of complexity does not justify the high abv of this beer. Abv to attract customers, not a result of increasing beer flavor portfolio.

Disappointing

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Second only to Schlafly

Tastes like double crooked tree with a hint of pumkin and spice

3.5/5  rDev -10%

Great flavor, though a little boozy tasting. Even so, relatively easy to drink and enjoy.

3.76/5  rDev -3.3%

Good pumpkin beer. Not very bitter but with a good amount of head. The pumpkin and cinnamon really come out. Leaves a good subtle taste in your mouth.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

I am not the biggest pumpkin beer fan so take my review with a grain of salt, but this brew is pretty delicious. I had the first right out of the bottle and it immediately tasted like I was drinking pumpkin pie. Sweet and cinnamon-y with a good amount of cardamon, this is a great choice if you love heavy pumpkin beers.

Drank out of a glass with a rim of butter and cinnamon and sugar, so delicious. Definitely the right way to enjoy this brew!

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Fall is my favorite time of year, and what better way to kick off the encroaching change of seasons than with a few pumpkin ales.

Poured into a pint glass, rather deep auburn with an off-white head.

The nose is fairly subtle here, hints of nutmeg and pumpkin.

Pumpkin and spice up front, quickly receding with some noticeable malt in the back. First sip was a bit harsh, but subsequent tastings were much smoother. The alcohol is well hidden, but you can tell it's there.

Slight oily feel that dissipates quickly, nothing real unpleasant.

All in all, a decent pick.

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

12oz bottle from Schoolhouse Beer (Marietta, GA). 3.29. Bottled 8/7/14. Served in a Microbrasserie Charlevoix goblet.

Pours burnt orange brown with one finger ecrue head. The bubbles settle to a thin ring that leaves almost no lace.

Smells of pie spices, light pumpkin and caramelly sweetness.

The spices dominate the taste and they aren't the ones I'd choose. Sharp, dry cloves, cardamon and allspice up front. Nutmeg, cinnamon, pulpy gourd, vague spiced bread, mild notes of burnt caramel and a dollop of booze. The spices kill any other flavor so by the end this almost seemed like work.

Fairly full, almost creamy feel with moderately sharp carbonation. Dry spice bomb aftertaste.

I finally decided to give Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin a try and I'm sure glad I bought a single instead of a four pack. All spices with no concession to the pumpkin or base beer. This was a one and done for me.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

Lots of pumpkin and a somewhat unique spice profile, with cardamom added to the usual mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. But, that's not enough to take this beer to the top. It's a big beer, but a bit too big for its britches. The alcohol is hard to miss in this brew, a shame since I've had a few "imperial" pumpkin ales that specialize in hiding the alcohol and accentuating the pumpkin or spice characteristics. Not a bad choice, and one I'd like to try again, but one that I don't think makes it to the top of my list of pumpkin brews.

I repeat rDev's review.. just loved this perfect pumpkin ale! The picture is wrong though.. that must be a prior season...

I love this beer! I guess I am nostalgic about it. It taste exactly like my mothers pumpkin pie! It has just the right spice level its hardy, it's got a slightly thick mouth feel but not muddy more velvety. At 8.5 it's got a little heat to it as well. This beer is fall and will be my autumn go to ale for the season.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

I remember when this was an epic beer. Last year (2013) something happened. The beer just sucked. This year (2014) the beer is watery, but better than last years.

Here is what I remember 2012 and pre-2012.

Taste: A Liquid pumpkin pie. Spices, Sweetness, Pumpkin
Mouth feel: Thick, awesome
Smell: Spices a lot of spices
Appearance: Red Pumpkin, Clear
Overall: I looked forward to this beer and physically came to see my friend to have this, and a few other beers and attend an event every fall. The memories are what now make this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Bottle, poured into a tulip glass.

A: Poured a very enticing caramel, with a big creamy head that maintained for a bit. Scattered lacing. Looks like autumn in a glass.

S: Dark, sticky nose--reminds me of a gingerbread cake, with a super-sweet molasses burst but not cloyingly sweet. Besides, you know, an earthy pumpkin smell. With all the spice you can taste in the beer, it's balanced well and those notes are more background on the nose. Very nice.

T: Well balanced mix of 'spice'--hints of cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, but none is overpowering--but mostly it's a hit of a creamy pumpkin, like a good dense custardy pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream. Caramel, molasses, but not overly sweet, and the aftertaste is unmistakably pumpkin with a touch of dry cinnamon.

M: Warming, but really smooth. Mouth-watering and spicy yet finishes dry.

O: Exceptional. The pumpkin beer for people who hate pumpkin beers--meaning, the pumpkin beer for folks who usually find them too spiced, too sweet, etc. A study in balance, and the only pumpkin ale I can stomach to have more than one in a sitting (not an easy feet, and at 8%!).

12 oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet

A: Nice ruby copper color that is a bit hazy. No head or lacing. Only a 1/2 finger head on a vigorous pour and it goes away very quickly.

S: Light scent that is mostly that of pumpkin spice but a bit sweet and a little odd on the predominant spice that I can't quite place. It isn't of the usual pumpkin beer spices.

T: Easy drinking with smooth slightly sweet malt and light pumpkin spices. I wish the flavors here were a bit stronger. The weird spices blend into the sweet malt, getting covered up and a flat, one note beer.

M: Smooth with a little bit of felt particulates (like spice). Super small bit of carbonation.

O: Not bad, but not up there with other pumpkin beers I've had even so far this year.

This is one of the few that can be compared to the Pumking.

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

Very good spice and pumpkin flavors

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Had on draft at Lures Bar and Grill

A-Pours orange brown with a thin white head. Some lacing.

S-Aroma is light pumpkin with clover and cinnamon.

T-Taste is more than the aroma with cinnamon, clover, pie crust, and pumpkin.

M-Mouthfeel is well balanced and nice carbonation.

O-Overall I like this beer it prefect for your pumpkin ale fix if there is no pumking or schlafly.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Look: Poured into a snifter, poured a ruby reddish amber color. Almost reminds me of cider (real cider, not "hard" cider). Very little head, it's sizzles to nothing immediately.

Smell: Cinnamon is very powerful upfront, with the pumpkin pie scent in the background. Just a slight hint of alcohol.

Taste: Again, the cinnamon is the most dominant flavor. The spices and pumpkin flavors are very noticeable

Feel: medium-full bodied with medium carbonation. Leaves a faint spicy feel from the cinnamon.

Overall: Pretty good ale. I'd like the pumpkin flavor to be a bit more obvious, but otherwise is a great beer. The cinnamon is a bit TOO upfront and over powering the pumpkin.

3.54/5  rDev -9%

Bottled 8/12/14, BB 4/12/15 at 45 degrees into standard pint glass
Aroma of nutmeg and spice
Head average (3 cm), off white, frothy, diminishing to 2 mm ring and broken layer
Lacing – none
Body medium orange, clear
Flavor of pumpkin spice but not overwhelming, sweet; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, creamy, lively carbonation

Appearance 3.25, Aroma 3.75, Flavor 3.5, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.5. Final weighted score: 3.535
A little on the sweet side, but overall a passable pumpkin ale.

3.89/5  rDev 0%

Very nice pumpkin ale. The appearance is a dark mahogany color with a khaki tan head that traces the glass. The smell is full of pumpkin and spice like nutmeg and cinnamon. The taste is straightforward with pumpkin and almost a sour taste that compliments the sweetness of all the pie spices. Very nice. The mouthfeel also had good consistency and I would definitely pick this one up again.

AROMA 7/10 APPEARANCE 4/5 TASTE 8/10 PALATE 4/5 OVERALL 17/20
New York, USA - AUG 20, 2014
Pours orange and a,most opaque except for a haze that let light in and made this beer a bit of pastel. Nose is ginger, bright ginger and nutmeg. Not too much cinnamon and thank goodness for that. bit of allspice and clove and lastly cinnamon. This beer has the bitter scent of the actual pumpkin on it via touch of grass from hops. Lovely. Weyerbacher has deliiverd quite the abv in this beer. 8% to warm a bit as it finishes. But first. A bold pumpkin flavor with a bit of sourness or of twang if you will . Like the pumpkin and like the pumpkin pie. It has a dry crust for malt. Dry, floury and not too sweet. So a biscuit malt. Lightly over the top is a touch of bright honey to go with he bright ginger and now I am really excited. No diacetyl except in the mouthfeel. A bit of buttery sensation adds to this creamy beer with a decent bitterdespite it’s abv. A touch of hop grass and bitter finish this one like a surprise and WOW a great Imperial pumpkin ale from wyerbacher that tastes like an ale and has a great abv to kick it home.

3.62/5  rDev -6.9%

I really love the aroma of this beer. I was hit with cinnamon, spice, nutmeg and pumpkin pie all layered perfectly. In my opinion, the taste itself doesn't fully live up to it's aroma. It still is pleasant but is a little bit overpowered with spice and nutmeg. Also, I feel the beer isn't as focused on displaying pumpkin flavor. My first taste I got very strong notes of all its other elements, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.. It just took me a little while to pick out where I found the pumpkin flavor. Don't get me wrong, its a good beer, just not exactly what I prefer.

3.22/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I just poured my first bottle of this and the smell was wonderful. My taste buds were looking forward to enjoying what my nose already had. Boy, something wrong here! It has a nice mouthfeel but that's about where things go south. Sour mash like taste with a cinnamon follow. Almost like this batch had too much nutmeg or the bottle was bad. Opened a second one with the same results. Really sour with an almost harsh nutmeg aftertaste. I really don't think I'll buy this one again after drinking so many other pumpkin beers this fall that have proved far more enjoyable than this.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

There are three types of pumpkin beer: spice heavy, gourd heavy, and balanced.

This is definitely on the spice-heavy end of things.

Cinnamon first, followed by a hint of nutmeg and clove. You do get a hint of squash/gourd at the end.

I tend to to be more "punkin' " centric.

A good pumpkin beer, but still inferior to Southern Tier's sweeter Pumking.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance - One to one and a half finger off white to tan head. Dissipated quickly and seemed very carbonated. The beer is blood orange or dark amber in color. Very limited to no visibility through liquid, but very clean and no floaters noted. 4.25

Smell - Very strong spice followed by slight pumpkin. Lots of nutmeg, less clove and slight cinnamon. Sweet and pleasing. 3.5

Taste - Huge spice. Almost all spice. Again there is some slight pumpkin in the background, but we are really dealing with a spice beer. Pretty carbonated but not overly. 3

Mouthfeel - Big body with a medium to thick mouthfeel. Exactly what I like in a pumpkin beer. Could maybe be slightly thicker, but really the mouthfeel is great. 4

Overall - This beer could be perfect, but for me it is overly spiced. I love all the fall and pumpkin pie spices, but they need to be complimented by actual pumpkin flavors. Also would prefer slightly less carbonation. One of my better options for the season, but if I'm strictly basing my review on what I'd like in a perfect pumpkin beer...I need more pumpkin. 3.7

Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.