Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Double Simcoe IPA
No picture.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: yen157 on 05-05-2006

Brewed using 100% Simcoe(R) Hops, a west coast hop variety created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc.
Ratings: 3,110 | Reviews: 1,352
Reviews by sarahspat:
3.62/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter. No freshness or best by date.

Very cloudy, almost opaque reddish caramel. The off-white head dissipates very quickly, leaving hardly any on the surface of the brew. Just a few dots and small spotches of lace appear down the sides of the glass.

Smells mostly of caramel, and vodka. Hardly any hops are noticeable in the nose, though there are minuscule herbal attributes. Candied grapefruit comes through after warming.

Tastes highly astringent and alcoholic. Some orange peel and caramel. It's very bitter, but not complex at all; just anonymously bitter. After it warms, it becomes more sweet and candied grapefruit asserts itself. Overall, it just isn't complex enough for me, but it tastes alright and goes down nicely after warming. It boasts only a light-medium body, but does have a good amount of carbonation.

I really wish there was some kind of date on the bottle. I have a feeling that it might be a little old based on the strength of the hops in my bottle versus other reviews, so I would be open to trying it again despite not being crazy about this bottle.

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

Thanks to my buddy Dale aka hoppedup for sending this and many other gems from NC,poured deep orange infused copper with a big blooming slight off white head that settled ever so slowly leaving globs of lace behind.Oh man the aromas pine,pine and more pine with underlying grassiness and grapefruit rind its almost all hops with a small dose of caramel malt base but like I said its small.The big piney notes samck your palate and lets them know who in charge,a hop lovers dream here very piney and resiny I notice a tangerine-like flavor in a long lingering finish,there is a touch of sweetness and breadiness to let you know there is a pretty hefty malt base but the hops steal the show and what a show it is.The alcohol creeps but is pretty much in check,a damn fine DIPA and to me is true to form,unbelievably I cant get in the Buffalo area I wish I had more.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance - This is a thick, orangish-brown in color with a good, pure white head.

Smell - The rich orange rind aroma is a thing of beauty. If you like simcoe hops you will absolutely love this nose. There is a light malty backbone here but mostly the simcoe just runs away with this contest. I've had quite a few simcoe-hopped IPAs but this is the purest simcoe aroma that I've ever smelled.

Taste - The wonderful hops carry through to the taste, but the story here is the amazingly big and heavy malts. It is so rich and so huge it's almost unbelievable.

Mouthfeel - This is bigger than medium-bodied but not full. The bitterness is gigantic but tolerable by the super-sweet, gooey malts. This is an ultra-rich DIPA.

Drinkability - This is a big beer make no mistake about it. If you like big hoppy hear and simcoe hops, and especially if you have never had simcoe before, this is the perfect beer for you.

Update – Haven’t had this one in a couple of years so thought I’d compare a 2011 to the one I had in 2009. Really this beer hasn’t changed a bit. It’s still pure, Simcoe goodness with a perfect sweetish malt balance. One of my favorite East Coast DIPAs.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a dense amber color with some red hints, completely opaque and hazy looking; beige head, silky and creamy, leaving a little bit of lacing on the way down. The aroma is a full on blast from the hop profile, slightly floral and perfume like, dank and wet, pine needles, and some hop spice, almost white pepper-like. Some fruity sweetness resides in the back, orange peels and grapefruit rinds, wet, juicy, vibrant. Toast caramel malts bring it all together with a sweetness that is detectable on the nose.

The taste comes through weedy, dank, and full of hoppy pine needles; the hops continue to rummage through the profile quite nicely - wet grass, floral notes, peppery spices, light to moderate citrus peel. A heavy malt sweetness spike hits right in the middle of the hop dance; sugary and heavy with the toasted caramel and toffee malt flavors. The malt is a little over the top heavy - I'm getting the feeling this beer may be a little past its prime. Drinking almost like a hoppy, young barleywine. Thick, heavy, sticky, and nearly syrupy mouth feel - this beer is BIG, don't let it fool you. Medium-low amount of carbonation, just enough to bring out the most prominent flavors.

Unfortunately there was not a bottling date on this, so I had no way of knowing its age. The only reason I say that is because the hops weren't quite as bitter as I expected them to be, even though their presence was clearly felt (and contributed to much of the flavor). Still a damn good beer, I can clearly see why people love this one. Very heavy, so take this one slow. I need to get my hands on a confirmed fresh one.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

This one is quickly becoming a favorite of mine as one of the best DIPAs that is readily available in my area. I let this one sit out for about 40 minutes to warm up then poured into a snifter. Three inches of sticky, off-white head slowly settle over a hazy, dark amber body.

Easily the greatest and most noticeable characteristic to this beer is that pungent Simcoe aroma, which you could probably smell from the next room over. The smell is almost menacing, deviant, hostile, yet captivating. It's like walking into the Pine Forest of Death, with the Devil waiting at the other end.

The flavor does nothing to divert you. You steer through, licking branches like lollipops. No one is around to stop you, so you think. You could eat every branch in the forest - are there are only five more in the fridge?

The devil (and his 9.0 claws) swoops, but as luck would have it, the sticky sap the pine needles leave on your palette becomes wearisome, precluding you from licking the forest clean. You save those for another day, and save yourself in the process.

Respect the Simcoe.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

A: This is a slightly hazy medium copper with a persistant off-white head that quickly settles to a thin film on top of the beer with a rocky ring around the outside fo the glass.

S: A whole lot of tropical fruit hops in the nose with the aroma being mostly passion fruit and moderately pine. A nice moderately-light caramel malt aroma and a soft alcohol note. There is a slight grassy note as well.

T: An assertive hops bitterness and strong resinous pine hop flavor pretty well take over. A bit of malt support comes though along with mild esters. The balance is very bitter with a smooth bitterness lingering long into the dry finish along with little alcohol sweetness.

M: The beer is noticeably a little bit more viscous than the average double IPA being a medium-heavy body. The carbonation is moderately-strong with no creaminess and a fair amount of alcohol warmth.

O: An awesome smelling IPA with a pretty aggressive, bitter flavor and some alcohol potency. The flavor and bitterness could be a bit smoother but I'll definitely enjoying this again. I'm not sure I'd pair food with this beer and think it's best appreciated on it's own.

Looks like it was bottled on 7/10/2012

3.12/5  rDev -23.2%

This is a strange on for me to rate. I really like IIPA but this one was just too over the top, but very well crafted

A-Hazy amber slightly orange
S-Pine, citrus, grapefruit, sweet honeyed malt. Smells really good and I'm excited to try it
T-Sweet honeyed malt and a piney/grapefruit that abruptly changes to resiny bitterness that absorbs all other flavors. It lingers for a long time in the back of the mouth and I think it cleared my sinuses. I like bitter but this is too much-it tastes like acrid crushed medicine.
M-Didn't like the flavor but creamy in the mouth.
D-I could barely get through a bottle and I'll give away my other one. I'm becoming a hophead but this is over the top.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A dream sickly pour of orange body and cream colored head that flatens quickly leaving a nice lace til the end. The smell is powerful hop explosion both floral and piney. This brew is so sublimely out of balance I can hardly stand it. The hop profiles are top notch. I could drink this stuff all day long. The brew is sticky and rich simulataneously a great texture on the pallet. I have had few better AIPAs this year.

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

This beer was purchased by my good friend Brian during a visit to the fine state of Wisconsin. I had never heard of Weyerbacher before, so I was fascinated to see what this brew was all about.

A: This is a really handsome beer. It's a deep bronze color which shows more tangerine against the light. The pour delivers a lovely fluffy yellowy, creamy head. Retention is great and the lacing is spectacular. A combination of age lines that trace the sipping history and attractive fine stalactites.

S: Man... OK, I know that it says Simcoe in the name but WTF. You may as well be standing in a pine forest in some Scandinavian country. It's turned up to 11 and almost medicinal but not in a bad way. It's fresh and does a great job of cleaning out the sinuses.

T: Again, I get the committal to Simcoe but the experience is still shocking. There is enough Simcoe in this brew to knock down a beer geek at a thousand paces. Hellishly dry and piney but there is plenty of caramel malt in there - enough to stop the pine from become overpowering and cloying. Bravo! Each sip starts with a hint of sweetness, it then goes headlong into a Simcoe piney/woody character and ends with a very dry finish and an extra hop bite just to remind you that the Double is your daddy.

M: It's on the light side of full bodied. The combination of malt, medium carbonation and hop aggressiveness makes this brew a good combination of smooth and active in the mouth. Keeps things interesting.

D: I am really angry that I don't have a case of this sitting around. I often don't enjoy IPA's that are too piney but this is done so well. It's really well balanced and when I say balanced I don't mean that it is equal parts malt and hops because it is not. This is a hop machine but there is just the right amount of malt to keep the hops in check and allow a really big beer to have some restraint. It's no session beer but I want more. I also really want to try other brews by this brewery.

Review from Inaugural Issue of Beeradvocate Magazine.

Brewed using 100 percent Simcoe hops, a West Coast hop variety created in 2000 by Select Botanicals. Oh my. Let the shredding of palates commence!

It's a rich, dropped-bright, dark copper-colored beer with a massive meringue-like, frothy, foamy, sticky head that rises four fingers above the beer and glass. It eventually settles to a half-inch lace, retaining its froth to the last drop. Fantastic nose. Aroma is intense with resins, notes of pine, fresh-cut grass, floral, dry aspirin and a strong, prickly grapefruit that dominates. First sip is smooth, a bit chewy and juicy, with a thicish consistency. Palate is immediately coated with sticky, resiny hop oils that embed more pine, abrasive grapefruit citrus flavors, green wood and a minty back. Soapy suggestions, along with some dry aspirin. Fruity, tangerine middle, with black pepper, forest berries and warming alcohol beneath. Malts attempt to break through the onslaught of hops, providing a sweet base that tries to balance, along with some depth--charred caramel, fresh brown bread crusts and honey edges. Dry, woody finish, with raw, leafy hop oils still attached to the palate.

Most of these flavors courtesy of a single hop? Outstanding. We sampled from the second brewing of this beer, and Weyerbacher just announced that this will be a year-round offering. Awesome.

A - Dark amber, large tan head that stays around for awhile before fading to a healthy covering and leaves a lot of lacing. Carbonation is low (growler, so you never know) but that is to style.

S - Sweet fruit hop aroma along with some caramel malt and a touch of biscuit malt.

T - A surprising nice malt backbone, although the hops come on early and strong you don't get a sense that this is DIPA until the bitter finish. The hops flavors are of tropical fruit and quite good, but I would not mind a little more complexity from the hop profile. Finishes strong and you get a nice hop bitterness and some boozy alcohol.

M - This is where you can definitely tell you are not dealing with an IPA here, nice full body, even a bit of a creamy feel. Ends with some warmth from that alcohol.

O - Very solid DIPA and nice in that it isn't just a big citrus hop bomb. That being said, I wouldn't mind a little Cascade or Centennial in there to add some complexity. Very good though and will enjoy again.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

Big 22oz bomber, excited to try this one. Pours from the bomber into my tulip glass a deep murky copper orange with a sticky, creamy inch of foam on top that immediately leaves sticky lacing on the glass. Lookin good! Aromas of wonderful Simcoe hops right off the bat. Big pine resins with citrus tones as well, even a bit tropical. Comes across really fresh and vibrant with a sweet malty undertone. I get some grapefruit too as I continue to enjoy the aroma. Just a wonderful green, hop cone punch to the senses.

First sip brings a sweet maltiness with a hint of caramel and bread along with a big blast of lush hops. Pine sap oils merge into citrusy flavors. A well placed bitterness that is strong but not abrasive flows through on the way down. Notes of tropical fruit and grapefruit mix in throughout. Finishes with a blast of fresh Simcoe hop cones. Nicely balanced and a wonderful DIPA. As my glass empties I'm stuck wishing I had more!

Mouthfeel is really smooth and creamy and it just rushes across the tongue with mellow carbonation. This brew is simply a joy to drink with a blast of hoppy goodness in each sip. A hophead's delight for sure and a testament to the Simcoe hop. I wish this brew was available to me as I'd likely drink it on a regular basis. An awesome Double IPA from Weyerbacher...bring on more single hop brews!! Thanks to blitheringidiot for being nice and sharing.

2.97/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Just ungodly combination of too sweet and too bitter that defies the law of physics. Couldn't even finish it.

3.51/5  rDev -13.5%

Found this in Asheville, NC. Went beer shopping and found this, what a surprise, especially since I was working on a trade to get some.

Massive head for such a high abv beer, truely impressive. Solid four fingers of it in my imperial pint. Just off white in color. Sparkling, perfectly clear dark amber/orange body. Lace clings beautifully to the glass. I dont know what else to ask for really.

Aroma is all hops, no malts to speak of. A metric ass load of pine sap with a hefty dousing of citrus on top, tangerine and somewhat tropical. I like the smell but this usually accompanies some flavors which aren't my favorite in a D/IPA.

Lots of pine show up in the taste initially. Then the finish is more sweet floral and citrus hops which come across almost candy like. Finish is resin bitterness. The sweetness is a bit over the top for me as I like some more earthyness in my DIPAs.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and again almost over the top oily. Definately full bodied and one of the thicker DIPAs I've had, but the syrup feeling doesn't do it for me. This one doesn't ever leave the insides of your cheeks either.

Sits really heavy on the stomach. This is a huge beer, pretty good flavor but I think this one is a bit too sweet and syrupy. Its got lots going for it but the sweetness kills it for me.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Tully's here in Maine just started carrying some Weyerbacher products. This was the first one I tried. I only hope their other offerings are this good. Poured into a tulip glass, this beer was a nice copper color with a fairly thick head. A little lacing was apparent. Aroma was citrusy, mostly grapefruit. The taste was intensely hoppy (grapefruit). This was an in your face blast; loved it. It had a resinous, oily mouthfeel. Great beer. Have one or two of these, don't drink anything else when you have this particular IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A – Light amber color.
S – Lightly citrus, simcoe hops abounds and a bit of malty sweetness rises from the glass, but not too much
T – Just the right balance of malt and hops for me. (Very Hoppy)
M – Lovely, alcohol is there but not overwhelming, great smooth finish

Overall one of my favorite beers anytime I can get it. Pricey but well worth it.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

I recommend a vigorous pour to acquire a lasting head. This brew has great sour bitterness and the right amount of malty sweet but could use a stronger finishing hop. The finish is leathery with a lingering sulfitic coat on the tounge. I prefer this beer in the bottle conditioned 22oz. I like their Blithering Idoiot the most, but this one was great as well.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a clear deep orange with two fingers of head. Leaves some lacing behind.

Smell is incredibly subtle for a DIPA. None of the piney, grapefruity scents of other hop varieties.

Taste starts with a nice hop bite, though not as intense as many other DIPAs (unfortunately, bottle date was smeared). Some pine in the taste that I did not detect in the smell. Nice malt backbone to support the hops. Doesn't leave much in the way of lingering bitterness, actually finishes pretty clean. I'm really liking this, it shows DIPAs don't have to be complete hop bombs to be successful.

Mouthfeel is nice, slightly oily. A bit of bitterness lingers, but not excessively drying.

Overall, a very nice DIPA. No overwhelming flavors, the flavor profile comes together pretty well.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

A solid offering from Weyerbacher. This blends malt sweetness and hop bitterness perfectly. I think I could actually session this beer. One of those I do not buy often because it comes in a 4 pack, and then whenever I do, I wonder why I often pass it up. Should have at least one in the back of my fridge at all times. Give this to a friend who swears he or she does not like overly hoppy beers. Perfect gateway beer.

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Bomber bottle with yet another excellent label - whoever's doing the graphics for Weyerbacher has some talent. Brilliant burnished gold with an almost nitro-like offwhite head that just refuses to let go of my imperial pint glass. There's still some up near the top of the glass, and it took eight or ten swirls to get it to move. I've cleaned lasagne pans more easily. Maybe one of the best looking pints I've poured in years. Aroma of sharp, pine/citrus/grass hops (in that order) over a caramelly, toasty-bready malt.

Great hop attack - bites the tip of the tongue and rolls backwards, the piney-citric bitterness growing and coating the inside of the mouth. The malt comes through, sweet (mango?) and caramelly with some tasty graininess and warming alcohol, but this one's all about the hops. Finishes with a great lingering bitterness and whiffs of cool alcohol, with syrupy malt in the distant background. Creamy mouthfeel with a slight tingle. Definitely a sipping beer - but one you could sip all night long if you're a fan of this hop.

Yet another excellent brew from Weyerbacher. Dan & co. are hitting their stride, big time.

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glasses.

Appearance -Pour deeply into imperial pint glass. Nice thick white foamy head reeking of simcoe. Golden in color, tint of orange. Very pleasing sight for this thirsty dude.

Smell - Citrus and piney hops comprise most of this aroma. Again very pleasing. I could spend a month in this beer one night.

Taste - Well they don't call it double simcoe for kicks. I have to say though I can find some balance in this beer as it has a decent malt kick as well.

Mouthfeel - Creamy goodness this beer engulfs the tongue and takes it on a crazy ride. Full bodied and delicious.

Drinkablilty - One of my new favorite hop varieties makes me want to drink this beer more and more. The alcohol is well played and I could easily drink the full 22 oz'er and probably one of his siblings as well. The whole experience was fantastic. I just wish I had some tasty food to go with, ah maybe next time.

3.67/5  rDev -9.6%

The beer is served in a nice tulip. The color is an orange amber. It is transparent. The head is thick but does dissipate. The lace though is very prominate on the glasses edge.

What can I saw for aroma if you know simcoe hops this is the aroma for you. Pungent earthy and slight grass. The malt makes its way to sweeten the whole thing.

The taste is of hops, simcoes pungent earthy and grass. The carbonation enters and lingers and leaves a dry bitter. The taste of the hops remains through out.

Great beer not the best DIPA perhaps not as complex being a single hop

4.1/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a bright reddish/copper colore with an absolutely ridiculous head that sticks around for the long haul, leaving great lacing on the glassware.

Smells of sweet malts and loads of piney and grassy hops.

Tastes of hop domination with a nice sweet malt backbone. Ridiculously piney hops shine through on this one from, duh, the simcoe hops. Finish isn't too dry but has that aspirin-like taste that us hopheads have been known to love. Very bitter beer with just enough sweet candy maltiness to balance it out just a tad. This beer, in some ways, reminds me of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA.

Mouthfeel is extremely oily, medium bodied, and decent carbonation.

Drinkablity is moderate, even though this is an excellent DIPA. The piny flavors do get to me after a while.

4.67/5  rDev +15%

Chilled and poured into a snifter

A- Not an overly impressive looking beer when you first pour it, darker orange brown color with a small fluffy tan head that sticks around for a good amount of time. There are a few streams of carbonation coming from the bottom of the glass, patches of foam, and some nice lacing along the sides of he glass.

S- The citrus smell of the hops is what hits your nose first and is most pronounced. Some pale malt and pine in the background once you get past the citrus hops.

T- The citrus orange flavor is in full effect when you first sip this beer, followed by a heavy dose of pine and sweet malts to finish it out.

M- persistent carbonation, smooth mouthfeel. The finish and aftertaste is pretty long and hoppy

D- I really enjoyed this beer. Its something different, and something I'm sure I'll come back to in the future. Highly drinkable besides the high ABV

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

$4.99 for a 22 oz bottle at the Dilly Deli in Cincinnati. This pours a clear amber body with a huge three finger, offwhite head that proves quite sturdy. Retention is excellent, and patch lacing is massive and pitting.

Aroma begins with a burst of fresh pine needles, followed by mandarin orange and a hint of grapefruit. A hint of caramel is fleeting.

Mouthfeel is medium full bodied, slick and oily with hop resin. Carbonation is aptly moderate.

Taste is dry and bitter with an enormous Simcoe hops presence. Pine cone is dominant, with bitter mandarin orange underneath. Just a hint of malt character here. Very resinous with hops. Middle and finish are unrelenting with hops bitterness.

Just what the hop doctor ordered. More malt presence would have added some needed balance, but if you're in the mood for Simcoe hops this is the poultice.

Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.